Roll Call
0 members (), 96 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/19/24 12:03 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/19/24 12:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/19/24 12:02 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/19/24 12:02 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 06/19/24 07:22 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/19/24 01:49 AM
Happy birthday cleome!
by stile86 - 06/18/24 10:23 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Worst Moments of the 5YL Legion
Kappa Kid #823916 10/06/14 09:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I read the first couple of issues, but couldn't force myself to continue on until the end.

Kappa Kid #823920 10/06/14 09:56 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
What even happens in the series?

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #823929 10/06/14 10:03 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Based on memory and Comic vine, he travels to the 20th century with Gemini, meets the horrendous New Blood called Jamm, and gets turned into a man-wolf hybrid with a human mind.

Kappa Kid #823944 10/06/14 11:59 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Yikes, that sounds terrible.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #823988 10/07/14 01:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
It's worse when you recall that Gemini is one of those creepy children in the body of an adult characters.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Kappa Kid #823999 10/07/14 03:43 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I actually liked it but mainly because of the artwork. The story wasn’t horrible. I thought it was better than what was happening in the Legion anyway.

Kappa Kid #828288 11/15/14 07:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Re the Earth dying...

From Comic Book Resources:

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Keith Giffen managed to destroy the Earth in Legion of Superheroes due to nobody watching the book.

This one dovetailed out of a comment by Giffen quoted in the above report, where it is mentioned “As a side note, he [Giffen] said that he destroyed Earth as he left because “no one was watching.”

Johanna Draper-Carlson e-mailed Michael, with information her husband, former Legion editor, KC Carlson, had on the story, and it is a doozy.

Keith says that he bumped off Earth because no one was paying attention, and he’s right. The book was editorially transitioning again, and the Earth blowing up issue wound up being my first. However, not many people know that TPTB had noticed what Keith was doing, and as soon as I started, they asked that that issue not be published. I had to fight for its publication, because that issue was virtually complete when I walked in the door. It was suggested it be cancelled, but it was so close to publication that trashing it would have thrown the schedule completely off, and I didn’t want to start by making the book late.
I also understood that several hoops had to be jumped through to get Neil Gaiman to sign off on the Death cameo, and I didn’t want that to go to waste, because I thought it was a good bit. Although I had nothing creatively to do with that issue, I was happy to fight for it, because I thought it was an excellent piece of work.

So that explains the lack of build-up!

Kappa Kid #854298 06/13/15 05:19 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
True story:

In the name of fairness to all the Legion timelines in existence, I recently tried to create an alternate 5YL timeline where the only change was that S. Erin died instead of Blok, only to find there were so many other things I disliked and wanted to change, that the result wouldn't have pleased anyone, including myself.

No offense intended to 5YL fans. I'm just feeling especially bitter at the moment and needed to vent. And I guess that's the final proof that I find 5YL truly indefensible.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
razsolo #854303 06/13/15 05:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by razsolo
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
My worst moment:

Issue 54

1) The Adult Legion (as distinguished from the Batch SW6 Legionnaires) take entirely new codenames, and new uniforms, including masks, in order to hide from the U.P.

Unfortunately, everybody in the U.P. immediately (before the issue even ends) figures out who they are. But they don't come up with another plan; they just keep the new code-names, costumes, masks, and pretend they are hiding, etc., for absolutely no reason.

2) This is the point at which 5YL stopped making even a little bit of sense. In the very, very beginning, much of the plot was character-driven. After Issue 54, Stuff just Happens.

Honorable Mention: The Death of Everybody. Blok, Sun Boy, Dawnstar, Element Lad, Laurel Gand, etc. etc.

I agree with most of this....the new codenames/costumes was when this series well and truly jumped the shark for me.

Other ideas COULD have been interesting but were so badly handled the potential was never filled. I find it really hard to believe that nobody recognized or tried to help Dawny while Bounty was happily possessing/mutilating her...and from memory Brainy knew Brin was Furball the whole time but let everyone treat him like a dumb animal...for reasons. There were definitely some really bizarre plot/characterisation choices.

I love Laurel Gand though. For me she's definitely one of the elements that worked very well.

This, exactly this, and the awful awful awful story with those awful awful awful bloody awful children. Okay, it introduced Kent Shakespeare and had a good scene with him and the Persuader but other then that the writers and artists should be flogged for producing such utter patronising Drek!

I really liked the 5YL stories generally.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Kappa Kid #854380 06/13/15 09:01 PM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
Some BAD stuff!

Sun Boy's death was wretched excess - he must have been hated.

...and, Roxxas looked like a gay joke. But...

I will pick my "worst" as the "POOP" button worn occasionally by Legionnaires.

Not only did they wear "Poop" buttons, some of them looked like they had to use colostomy bags.

In fact, "POOP" sums up a lot...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,297
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires