Roll Call
0 members (), 101 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/30/24 07:31 AM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 07:18 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by thoth lad - 09/30/24 05:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 01:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 01:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 01:03 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 01:01 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/30/24 12:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND SIX!)
Invisible Brainiac #811975 06/18/14 04:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
62 (Pre-Flashpoint) Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) 4
62 (Pre-Flashpoint) Zauriel 4

ouch, I would have voted for Supergirl ...

Invisible Brainiac #811976 06/18/14 04:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I mean she died in Crisis too! wink

Invisible Brainiac #811977 06/18/14 05:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Maybe you just missed seeing her on the list way back in Round 2 wink

Invisible Brainiac #811978 06/18/14 06:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great game IB! There's nothing I like more in comics than the element of surprise and this result was certainly that!

Dinah or Shayera had seemed like the pre-destined winner since all the way back in Round 3, so well done to Barry for bucking the odds.

I wonder if he still would have won in a re-vote?

Looking forward to the Legion Villains game.

Invisible Brainiac #811979 06/18/14 07:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Beasts... is that the one where people turned themselves into animal-human hybrids? I remember Firestorm had quite a major role in it. That WAS a nice story, and is one of those that stand out in my mind.

That's the one. Beasts was a good story but WOW was it gory for a pre-Crisis JLA tale! As a kid, I remember being super-disturbed by what happened to Hawkman and those poor archaeology students. And don't Aquaman and Elongated Man suffer equally grisly fates? Along with a few of the others? I wouldn't be surprised if that was Geoff Johns' favourite comic growing up.

The Fiatlux Trilogy was another fairly gruesome tale IIRC. It had some great character moments though and will always hold a special place in my heart because this part of it -

http://www.comics.org/issue/1138523/cover/4/

- was the first DC comic I ever bought (JLofA #200, which I've mentioned being the first DC comic I ever read, was a gift).

For the trivia lovers among us, that story also holds the distinction of bring the FIRST story in JLA history to not include any of the founders.

Invisible Brainiac #811995 06/18/14 09:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fun game, y'all! Although I didn't vote until the very end, I've been tracking the game all the way through. And if I had voted during the game, the Flash would always have gotten my top vote. nod

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Blacula #812006 06/18/14 10:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Really glad you decided to jump in, Tracker. Even though I didn't vote for Barry, I can certainly accept him as the winner. nod

Originally Posted by Blacula
Great game IB! There's nothing I like more in comics than the element of surprise and this result was certainly that!

Dinah or Shayera had seemed like the pre-destined winner since all the way back in Round 3, so well done to Barry for bucking the odds.

Glad you enjoyed, Blacula! And yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that this round turned out to be so... surprising AND exciting!

Invisible Brainiac #812007 06/18/14 10:20 AM
Leader
Leader
Amazing how disappointed I feel to have Barry beat out Dinah, even though Barry's been my second place vote for a little while now, and has been in my "acceptable" winners all along.

Hey IB, how about a Legion creators Idol? Levitz vs. Shooter vs. Waid vs. Sherman vs. Abnett vs. Giffen vs. Swan etc.

Blacula #812009 06/18/14 10:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Beasts was a good story but WOW was it gory for a pre-Crisis JLA tale! As a kid, I remember being super-disturbed by what happened to Hawkman and those poor archaeology students. And don't Aquaman and Elongated Man suffer equally grisly fates? Along with a few of the others? I wouldn't be surprised if that was Geoff Johns' favourite comic growing up.

The Fiatlux Trilogy was another fairly gruesome tale IIRC. It had some great character moments though and will always hold a special place in my heart because this part of it -

Oh, I'm intrigued. I remember Firestorm and Superman being crucified in Beasts; but I don't quite remember what happened to the others. How gruesome is gruesome, exactly? I do remember that some of the human-beast hybrids were unwilling participants, and I seem to remember some sort of gladiatorial battles going on too.

As for Fiatlux, I don't remember much either. Care to spoil too? tongue My comics are in storage so may take a while before I can dig them out.

Xben #812012 06/18/14 10:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
well done to Barry for bucking the odds.

I wonder if he still would have won in a re-vote?

Well, if we assume only the 2 voters who picked Shayera change their votes...

Quislet voted for Barry in the round before, while Dave has never voted for either Dinah or Barry in the whole game! (I checked my records). So if we assume Quis votes for Barry, he already gets 9. The best Dinah could get is 8, if Dave picked her.

I think Barry would still have won, but of course we'll never know for sure unless we have a re-vote. I don't think we need to though smile

It's also interesting that our two last-round newcomers, Reboot and LT, had different picks!

Originally Posted by Xben
Amazing how disappointed I feel to have Barry beat out Dinah, even though Barry's been my second place vote for a little while now, and has been in my "acceptable" winners all along.

Hey IB, how about a Legion creators Idol? Levitz vs. Shooter vs. Waid vs. Sherman vs. Abnett vs. Giffen vs. Swan etc.

Maybe it was disappointing because it was so close, Xben. But Dinah was really a juggernaut throughout the game, and dominated the vast majority of rounds!

Oooh, a Legion creators Idol! Sounds great, we could have one for artists and one for writers. Would we need to separate pencillers from inkers from colorists, I wonder? Maybe we can have that right after Legion Villains.

Xben #812029 06/18/14 01:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S

Eh. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I loved the idea of Barry as scientist and hero, back in the early '80s, but he died, and I got over him, and got all invested in Wally growing into the mantle of Flash.

Twenty five years later, Geoff Johns 'brings back' a character that's nothing at all like the Barry Allen I remember so fondly, which just put a damper on my love for the original character.

Thirty years ago, I would have voted for Barry, the competent grown-up and respected scientist and hero and husband. But that character no longer exists, except in my back issues.

Indeed, 'competent', 'respected', 'grown-up,' 'hero' and, especially, 'husband' seem to be unacceptable these days. It's all Flashbro and Bro Lantern.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #812035 06/18/14 02:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Amazing how disappointed I feel to have Barry beat out Dinah, even though Barry's been my second place vote for a little while now, and has been in my "acceptable" winners all along

Despite really liking Shayera, I'd have felt a twinge at seeing her beat Barry. Which is what looked really likely in earlier rounds along with Dinah.

How gruesome is gruesome, exactly?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Set
Twenty five years later, Geoff Johns 'brings back' a character that's nothing at all like the Barry Allen I remember so fondly, which just put a damper on my love for the original character.

I didn't give a single thought bout the returned Flash all the way through JLA idol. Wally taking over the Flash costume is part of that legacy.

Oooh, a Legion creators Idol! Sounds great, we could have one for artists and one for writers. Would we need to separate pencillers from inkers from colorists, I wonder? Maybe we can have that right after Legion Villains.

I'm sure this would be fascinating just to read everyone's thoughts on the writers/artists down the years. But with voting too? Wow! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #812051 06/18/14 05:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am disappointed with the results...but as one door closes, another opens! The LSV Idol is going to be grand.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #812054 06/18/14 06:06 PM
Leader
Leader
If you do a Legion Creator's idol, I don't think you'd need to separate pencillers and inkers - that gets too complicated (where does Keith Giffen on "breakdowns" fit, for example?). In fact, I don't think you even need to separate artists from writers. It all comes down to which creator made the greatest contribution to the series, and of course, who we just "like" the most. Imagine trying to choose between voting for Dave Cockrum or Ed Hamilton! I think that'd be cool. You could even throw editors in there (Mort Weisinger, Karen Berger, etc.) Imagine just trying to come up with the initial list!

Invisible Brainiac #812071 06/18/14 08:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It's also interesting that our two last-round newcomers, Reboot and LT, had different picks!

....which means that, statistically, their votes had no effect on the outcome if you realize that all the regular participants' votes would also have crowned Barry if those two hadn't voted! In effect, Reboot and LT's votes insured the same outcome! nod

The only variable is that some later voters who may have otherwise voted Shayera may have changed to Barry or Dinah when they perceived Shay as having no chance. I don't think it would've been enough to make a difference, but it's a possibility.

IIRC, some of Ibby's previous similar contests featured the final round votes via Private Messages to him, presumably to avoid any influencing of votes based on what we see everyone else doing. I purposely voted early that round to avoid being influenced. I'm not saying it's how the final round should be conducted, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #812072 06/18/14 08:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
BTW, I'm still SHOCKED AS HELL that Peebz voted for Barry after Shay was his Numero Uno all the way otherwise!!! ElasticLad

If Ronnie/Prof Stein had made Final three with Barry, I wouldn't have been able to suddenly change course at the last minute! nod

SHOCKED AS HELL, I say!!! gasp

Lard Lad #812084 06/18/14 09:55 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Paladin

....which means that, statistically, their votes had no effect on the outcome if you realize that all the regular participants' votes would also have crowned Barry if those two hadn't voted! In effect, Reboot and LT's votes insured the same outcome! nod

The only variable is that some later voters who may have otherwise voted Shayera may have changed to Barry or Dinah when they perceived Shay as having no chance. I don't think it would've been enough to make a difference, but it's a possibility.

That's right, even if both Reboot and LT hadn't voted, the results would have been the same! But I can't deny that some Shayera voters may have switched to Dinah or Barry when they saw no votes being thrown Shayera's way; or after they had read the eloquent reasoning of other voters.

IIRC, some of Ibby's previous similar contests featured the final round votes via Private Messages to him, presumably to avoid any influencing of votes based on what we see everyone else doing. I purposely voted early that round to avoid being influenced. I'm not saying it's how the final round should be conducted, but I'm just throwing it out there.

That's an interesting consideration, although I think you may have gotten me confused with someone else. I don't recall ever having used PMs to collect votes in any games I've run.

Actually, the PM method had been suggested to me shortly after Multiverse Legion Idol. It has its advantages, but two things made me think about it -

1) Why have it for just the final round? Even a single change in rank in earlier rounds could spell dramatically different outcomes; we've determined that if a certain voter had switched Firestorm and Zatanna on his list three rounds ago, it would have been Zatanna going home instead of Ronnie and the Prof. Several voters have also purposely waited to vote near the end of the round because they adjust their votes based on others' votes. And there are also many of us who take previous rounds' results into account; at least one of us has admitted to abandoning several poorly-performing favorites in earlier rounds.

We could actually use the PM method throughout the entire game to eliminate the potential influence of others' opinions.

But then this brings me to Point 2 -

2) A large part of the fun on these games is the discussions we have on the characters. The PM method may largely eliminate that. On the other hand, voting by PM also won't stop us from discussing right here in the thread, or in other threads (like the one's Peebz and thothkins, mostly Peebz, started in Gym'll's). I think that sort of discussion could also be a large influencing factor.

I do think the PM method is worth a consideration though. What does everyone else think? smile

Set #812085 06/18/14 10:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
If you do a Legion Creator's idol, I don't think you'd need to separate pencillers and inkers - that gets too complicated (where does Keith Giffen on "breakdowns" fit, for example?). In fact, I don't think you even need to separate artists from writers. It all comes down to which creator made the greatest contribution to the series, and of course, who we just "like" the most. Imagine trying to choose between voting for Dave Cockrum or Ed Hamilton! I think that'd be cool. You could even throw editors in there (Mort Weisinger, Karen Berger, etc.) Imagine just trying to come up with the initial list!

Oh, I like that. For Idol games I think we should make the list as complete as possible, so pretty much anyone who has ever worked on the Legion could be included.

I would definitely need help making this list!

Because most of my issues are back issues, for the most part my appreciation of each creator's contributions would not be as deep as someone who really followed their tenure issue by issue as they came out. That's one downfall to note picking up each issue as it comes out.

Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
The LSV Idol is going to be grand.

Yes, and thanks for agreeing to help me with the list! I'll post a first draft maybe next week, and we can spend another week or so finalizing the list before we begin the game. I'm pretty excited about it, and I'm already thinking about which villains I like.

Would villains-turned-heroes like Preboot Spider-Girl or Lightning Lord do well? How about somewhat sympathetic ones like (arguably) Tayla Wellington or Postboot Mano? Or would we just pick the vilest of the vile?

Originally Posted by thothkins

How gruesome is gruesome, exactly?

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the spoiler, thothkins! Wow. That was pretty bad, those look quite painful.

Originally Posted by Set

Thirty years ago, I would have voted for Barry, the competent grown-up and respected scientist and hero and husband. But that character no longer exists, except in my back issues.

Their dynamic really has changed, huh? Post-Flashpoint Hal, Diana, Clark, they're all quite different, from what I've seen. That's why I think separating characters into versions, where it makes sense, is very important in these games, like with the Hawks clarification way back in Round 1.

Invisible Brainiac #812087 06/18/14 10:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm not necessarily advocating this method, just stating how I'd thought you'd done that final round in the past. If it wasn't you, it was something similar someone else did.

Xben #812088 06/18/14 10:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Yeah, if this ever happens, I'm in favor of putting all creators on equal footing...writers, pencillers, inkers and so on...all on the same expansive master list to face off!

Lard Lad #812089 06/18/14 10:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That's the way to go then! One ginormous list of creators, with footnotes as to which run/issues they worked on. Yahoo!

I'm not necessarily advocating this method, just stating how I'd thought you'd done that final round in the past. If it wasn't you, it was something similar someone else did.

Oh yes, I got that. It just made me think though smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/18/14 10:23 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #812090 06/18/14 10:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I do think the PM method is worth a consideration though. What does everyone else think? smile

I prefer the discussion. PMs might feel too intrusive and make the thread feel dead and the contest non-existent to anyone not in the PM chain.

If influence of votes from seeing other posters votes is perceived as an issue, we could spoiler text our votes, and only the other votes who *want* to see other posters votes would have to see them before the big reveal at the end of the round.

I didn't use the word 'vote' enough times in the last sentence. Vote-y vote vote McVote.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #812096 06/18/14 10:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

That's right, even if both Reboot and LT hadn't voted, the results would have been the same!

Actually, the PM method had been suggested to me shortly after Multiverse Legion Idol. ...

We could actually use the PM method throughout the entire game to eliminate the potential influence of others' opinions.

Actually, if we consider the influence of only the two last-round newcomers, Reboot's vote helped create the tie you thought you'd have to break. The main reason I voted, obviously, was because I could see how the votes were going and knew that mine would make the difference in the outcome. Does that make me a conniving sentient? shrug

Yes, Legion Worlders, it was Tracker, and Tracker alone, who robbed you of your tie-breaker round! BWAHAHAHAHA! wink

No, wait. It was Tracker who SAVED you from that team-destroying tie-breaker round that the villainous Reboot forced upon you. Yes, and RESTORED to you the outcome that you had already created. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, I couldn't resist following up my post from 2 weeks earlier about how everyone's votes would reach my "correct pre-ordained" outcome. wink

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Set #812097 06/18/14 11:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
And now we know why Peebz suddenly abandoned Shayera in the last round! It was Tracker's fault all along! tongue

Originally Posted by Set

I prefer the discussion. PMs might feel too intrusive and make the thread feel dead and the contest non-existent to anyone not in the PM chain.

If influence of votes from seeing other posters votes is perceived as an issue, we could spoiler text our votes, and only the other votes who *want* to see other posters votes would have to see them before the big reveal at the end of the round.

I didn't use the word 'vote' enough times in the last sentence. Vote-y vote vote McVote.

I also prefer the discussion and would not want to do away with that. The SPOILER tags are an interesting compromise. I'd like to see if anyone wants to adopt this approach for the next game.

Invisible Brainiac #812104 06/19/14 12:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1. I prefer votes in-thread rather than by PM.

2. Not that I really care (I'm not as invested in creators as I am in characters) but if we pit artists against writers, we may as well just go ahead and give the award to an artist now.

Maybe I'm projecting here, but I think most people will have ambiguous feelings toward most of the writers who've written the Legion, whereas their opinions of the artists will be more consistent.

For example, I love George Perez and Alan Davis's art unreservedly. Whereas I only love what Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning wrote up until the end of Legion Worlds, and then despised the rest. Similarly, I love what Mark Waid wrote in the Reboot, but his Threeboot stories still to this day have me wanting to see every member of that team graphically dismembered and their universe destroyed.

So if it ever comes down to a competition between any of those creators, the artists will win every time because they don't carry the same negative baggage that the writers do.

I think people will have similar feelings about most of the writers who've written the Legion - Paul Levitz, Jim Shooter, Keith Giffen, etc. - all had praised and panned runs.

3. Will the LSV Idol game include every Legion villain ever? I'm hoping it will. I'm sure there's a hidden underground of us Evisceratronic fans. smile

Page 31 of 35 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,057
Posts1,048,885
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Omni
Omni
Boston
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star