Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 19 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 11:53 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Korbal - 09/29/24 06:46 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:24 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:23 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:22 PM
Why love the legion?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 02:50 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 09/29/24 02:48 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 35 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 34 35
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND 1!!)
Invisible Brainiac #811767 06/16/14 06:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I've thought about it, and all three are great characters. But the one I've had the most exposure to is Black Canary. I do like her, just haven't been voting for her because I tend to gravitate towards underdogs in these games. Plus I'm still reeling from the not-so-flattering end of her leadership stint in the latest Justice League.

Still, she was a good leader and is a great fighter and team player, so...

Black Canary for the win!

Invisible Brainiac #811772 06/16/14 06:34 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
But...But.. the two I don't pick will stare accusingly from my comics at me forever! >Gulp!<

Now all three are great characters, and I've said lots of positive things in previous posts about them. So...

I'm not going with Black Canary. Partly it's because she was the calming influence on another character. Partly it's the impenetrable ret-conning making mother/daughter a bit of a mess. Partly it's that there's a little overshadowing of her treatment from Grell. Partly it's her very poor run as leader later on, which was a bit of a slap to such a good character.

I'm not going with Hawkgirl. She was very belatedly made a member of the League, and very rarely made an appearance without her other half.

So, while both are very strong characters and I prefer them both to their partners, those partners have held them back in certain areas.

That leaves me with Barry Allen.

He's the one A-List hero whose tragic times in his own title really transferred across to the League - his trial and his blossoming romance with Zee after Iris had gone. He was our everyman window into the world of the Justice League, while being every bit as powerful as any of the others.

Visually he added a lot of flair to the League with his powers and their effects. But it's really about Barry as a person. The fastest man alive but frequently late in his personal life. He had a long term relationship with Iris yet was still uncertain and bashful around Zee. His science background in a world of superpowers and magic.

Barry was the first Justice Leaguer I read in the title. It wasn't too long before he was gone with the other Satellite members. Then he was seemingly gone forever, saving the whole universe in Crisis. But I saw enough to make him my favourite.

Barry for the win!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #811774 06/16/14 06:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Black Canary has been on top of my list for a long time, I could not abandon her now. I vote for her with a happy heart.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #811775 06/16/14 06:44 PM
Leader
Leader
I like Barry. I do not mind Hawkgirl.

But for the win...Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)

Invisible Brainiac #811776 06/16/14 07:19 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Black Canary

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Invisible Brainiac #811779 06/16/14 07:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Good to see you joining us for the finale, Reboot! And maybe for the planned Legion Villains game, I hope

Invisible Brainiac #811780 06/16/14 07:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm gonna go with Barry, as well, pretty much for the same reasons thothkins laid out so eloguently. Also, I remember gravitating toward Barry and Hal very early on in my JLA reading. I was very disappointed that the two were phased out of Super Friends after the "Challenge of..." era. And even after Barry died, his legacy went on, and his memory never faded as the years went on. When he was brought back, I was disappointed. Why undo such a great death when the legacy in Wally and Bart lived on so strongly? The execution was muddy at best, so in that one instance Flashpoint did the character a favor. But the Barry of Crisis and before was clearly one of the greatest heroes DC ever had, and he deserves to win this.

I love Dinah and Shayera, but to me, there's no real contest here. A few weeks ago, when this started, I probably would've taken Shayera if you told me this would be the final three because I think she's so beautiful and fierce, and I've missed her while the pale shadow of Kendra Saunders occupied the identity. I was elated when Blackest Night restored her and devastated when Brightest Day shat all over that by basically doing away with her already.

But this is "Justice league Idol". To me, that's about the character that most embodies the JL. That's not Shayera; her career with the JL was always in the shadow of Katar. That's not Dinah, either, imo...though it's a lot closer. To me she'll always have been a much brighter star among the Birds of Prey than she was with the JL, a similar problem I have with Vixen in this contest as I felt she was a better Suicide Squad member.

So that leaves Barry, who best fits my definition of what the JL Idol should represent. Your mileage may vary!

P.S. If my faves Ronnie, Booster, Ollie or Ted had made it and stood beside Barry, I'd have chosen one of them over him. But none of 'em made it, so.... shrug

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #811783 06/16/14 07:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)

Invisible Brainiac #811784 06/16/14 08:03 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Man, I really want to vote Hawkgirl, but...

At the end of the day... you've got to go with the guy who gave his life to save everything.

(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)

Invisible Brainiac #811791 06/16/14 08:48 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Someone's in the kitchen with...

Black Canary, please.

Lard Lad #811793 06/16/14 08:56 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Wow! At the end of last round I would have thought we'd see Dinah and Shayera duking it out. But 9 votes in, Shayera has yet to see a single vote. Gotta admit though, Barry really had a lot of significance to the League.

Will the Idol series have its first male winner??

Originally Posted by Paladin
That's not Dinah, either, imo...though it's a lot closer. To me she'll always have been a much brighter star among the Birds of Prey than she was with the JL, a similar problem I have with Vixen in this contest as I felt she was a better Suicide Squad member.

That IS true. After the Satellite Era (which I will not comment on, as my memory of that era isn't very clear) Dinah wouldn't rejoin the JLA until Meltzer. And as thothkins noted, her leadership stint there was spotty at best. I blame it on the editors/writers, and not on Dinah, as she proved to be quite capable. They just didn't know what to do with her, or with the rest of the members when the team was disintegrating.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/16/14 08:57 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #811799 06/16/14 09:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
That IS true. After the Satellite Era (which I will not comment on, as my memory of that era isn't very clear) Dinah wouldn't rejoin the JLA until Meltzer.

Not true. She was right there at the beginning of Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire and was part of it for a while. But I still feel BoP was her big starring vehicle.

Last edited by Paladin; 06/16/14 09:17 PM.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #811802 06/16/14 09:26 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Oops! Thanks for the correction, Lardy. Slipped my mind, which it shouldn't have as for a while she was the only female on the team. Her tenure was brief though and her departure wasn't even really shown in the League comic then, was it? I now remember a scene where Sue or Catherine calls Dinah and asks if she'll continue on with the team.

I remember Red Winter again, where several League reservists (Black Canary, Metamorpho, Blue Jay, Huntress, Tasmanian Devil, General Glory, Mister Miracle) were called in. Poor Dinah and Scott teamed up with the JSA to fight Rocket Reds. While the JSAers did well, both Dinah and Scott were taken out in the same single panel! (At least Dinah had a busted knee then, Scott had no such excuse). But boy, were they treated shabbily. Not as bad as General Glory though, who didn't even get a single line.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/16/14 09:29 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #811808 06/17/14 12:05 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I would have voted for Shayera first, then Black Canary, but it looks like Shayera's got no chance...

Black Canary it is!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #811816 06/17/14 01:47 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Holy Unexpected Reboot vote! As Darth thothkins tie fighter spun wildly out of control, he wondered how the Millennium Reboot managed to sneak past the defences. Would this vote be....decisive?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #811818 06/17/14 02:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
You should have seen Multiverse Legion Idol, when three (did I count right?) new voters, and several who had been absent in the previous rounds, suddenly showed up to vote. We broke a record (I think, again) that round, with 19 voters total.

Invisible Brainiac #811821 06/17/14 04:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age)

Invisible Brainiac #811824 06/17/14 06:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
well ... this is not how I expected things to turn out.

I was planning on a:

(Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
(Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna

Three way magical "Birds of Prey" run off.

And while Shayera really is amazing, and fierce, and smart and neglected (and Kendra and others are really 2d versions of her IMO) ... I really think she is one of the best characters in comics despite her fairly short time as a hero.

I was still going to vote for Black Canary in the very final round ... I didn't vote for her at all last round in a rare strategic plan to close the race gap ... but she was going to get my final vote. As I've said before she led the League, was in it for a very long time, has been awesome in the toon and Arrow, and she's just really cool and reliable. She was the smart choice to replace Wonder Woman in the reboot. Also a somewhat unsung hero.

but ... I didn't expect Flash to make it this far. I guess that fits his character, heroically pulling it out again!

OH Barry Allen, smart in an everyman way. Not the hokey super scientist way. smart as a forensic scientist in a hard working way. A real nice guy. A founder. and there was that one time he spent about 12 issues dying and saving the universe (and a spark of the multiverse).

Hey, Elongated Man is his best friend, he must be down to Earth.

Then there are those covers and stories of his old series ... which are truly fabulous, carmine infantino can do no wrong, and THEN there's the stories. Well, all this has been said by other posters and better. Of all the big 5 or 7, he's the nicest and the most human ... and the most balls out when the chips are down. (a trait they gave Wally in the JLU cartoon)

This is the problem with those tribute threads, I'm reminded of how awesome these characters are!

Sorry Shayera I helped get you this far but ... (I think she'd agree with me)

Barry Allen for the win.

Last edited by Power Boy; 06/17/14 06:06 AM.
Lard Lad #811825 06/17/14 06:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
That IS true. After the Satellite Era (which I will not comment on, as my memory of that era isn't very clear) Dinah wouldn't rejoin the JLA until Meltzer.

Not true. She was right there at the beginning of Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire and was part of it for a while. But I still feel BoP was her big starring vehicle.

She was fantastic here ... probably should have been the leader or co leader though but was a bit of a 2nd tier player compared to Bats and J'onn and all the new kids getting air time.

Power Boy #811830 06/17/14 06:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I'm trying to remember myself. She should have stood out more, for being the only female in the group, and she certainly wasn't a wallflower. She was certainly one of the more balanced and mature ones on the team; but the writers didn't really seem to highlight her status as a member of the Satellite Era.

For that matter, Batman's status as a Satellite Era member and founding Leaguer was ambiguous at best at that time.

Originally Posted by Power Boy

I was still going to vote for Black Canary in the very final round ... I didn't vote for her at all last round in a rare strategic plan to close the race gap ... but she was going to get my final vote.

Sorry Shayera I helped get you this far but ... (I think she'd agree with me)

After all your #1 rank votes for Shayera throughout the game, I think we'd all be pretty surprised at your last round change! wink

Invisible Brainiac #811836 06/17/14 07:47 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger

I voted before looking at other people's votes. But I still would have voted this way.

Last edited by Quislet, Esq; 06/17/14 07:49 AM.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Re: Justice League Idol!! (FINAL ROUND!!!)
Invisible Brainiac #811839 06/17/14 08:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ACK! When Ralph and Zee got eliminated last round I was sad for a moment and then thought 'Well, at least now I don't have to fret about who to choose between them and Shayera.'

And then suddenly no one wanted to vote for Shayera this round, making her a wasted vote! frown

I never thought I'd be voting for him back in Round 1 (not because I don't like him, there's just lots of JLAers I like more) but my vote is for:

XS Flash (Barry Allen). XS

Black Canary was my favourite female character in the pre-Crisis DCU, but I feel like they grafted a different, more unpleasant personality on her once she got a bigger profile post-Crisis, and there is also perhaps no colouring error (or is it a retcon? or a costume change?) I hate more in all of comics than when I see Dinah in her old-school costume but with flesh-colored, rather than light-blue, stockings. H.A.T.E. it so much. "Flames, on the side of my face..."

Last edited by Blacula; 06/17/14 08:14 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #811840 06/17/14 08:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It looks neck and neck between Flash and Black Canary but I don't think at this point a Hawkwoman vote is wasted.

poor Shayera, she don't mind though, she's just gonna go sharpen her mace spikes.

Last edited by Power Boy; 06/17/14 08:23 AM.
Power Boy #811841 06/17/14 08:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Blacula

Black Canary was my favourite female character in the pre-Crisis DCU, but I feel like they grafted a different, more unpleasant personality on her once she got a bigger profile post-Crisis,

Yeah, she started being written differently after Crisis.

Originally Posted by Power Boy
It looks neck and neck between Flash and Black Canary but I don't think at this point a Hawkwoman vote is wasted.

If no other new players join in, I don't think Shayera has a chance at winning.

I wonder what we should do if we tie... We might need to have another round if that does happen. This is too big to be decided on by using accumulated votes.

Invisible Brainiac #811844 06/17/14 08:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yes a run off! with the Hawkwoman voters getting to vote for Dinah or Barry.

Has everyone who voted last time voted?

Hawkwoman only needs four to tie ... and I know there were 2-3 of us who jumped ship to Barry or Canary.

Page 29 of 35 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,057
Posts1,048,871
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Star Boy
Star Boy
Melbourne, Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star