Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by stile86 - 09/28/24 09:58 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Apache Chief (Star of the Super Friends) Thread
#809864 05/31/14 10:58 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

Is the Apache Chief EDE's favourite League member?

Re: The Apache Chief (Star of the Super Friends) Thread
Power Boy #809865 05/31/14 11:00 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He gives good hugs:

[Linked Image]

He crushes Aquaman

[Linked Image]

He makes Superman look small and annoying.

[Linked Image]

And this action figure is amazing:

[Linked Image]

Power Boy #809866 05/31/14 11:01 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He's had a whole lot of cameos!

[Linked Image]

Power Boy #809875 05/31/14 11:48 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Loved the Young Justice spin on him, as Tye Longshadow.

The giant astral form was an incredible visual, compared to the already impressive visual of size-changing.

As for the original Apache Chief, dudes who grow to sixty feet tall need to not wear skirts to work. 'Cause nobody wants to see that.

Originally Posted by Power Boy
[Linked Image]

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Power Boy #809879 05/31/14 12:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think he was the only of the TV-only Super Friends to get an actual origin on the series:

Power Boy #810080 06/01/14 11:28 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I remember the scene in one episode where he uses his ginormous hands to divert a flashflood from a small town. Go Apache Chief!

Power Boy #810091 06/02/14 12:02 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Being designed for the cartoon, it seemed like Super-Chief was intentionally visually dynamic, in a way that pre-existing heroes like Batman and Aquaman couldn't readily compete with.

Samurai, doing his whirlwind trick, and Black Vulcan turning into lightning, also had very visually dynamic effects when they appeared on-screen.

And then there was El Dorado. smile

Gah, trapped myself with my own link, just lost 30 minutes of my life laughing hysterically at Seanbaby's thoughts on the various Super Friends...

Last edited by Set; 06/02/14 12:22 AM.

Power Boy #810106 06/02/14 01:30 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That was hilarious, Set! Thanks for sharing.

So in terms of powers, El Dorado is kind of like original Tyroc?

... okay, I just read Samurai. And Samurai ALSO seems to have the "I can do pretty much anything will my ill-defined powers" syndrome.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/02/14 01:38 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #810110 06/02/14 01:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
That was hilarious, Set! Thanks for sharing.

So in terms of powers, El Dorado is kind of like original Tyroc?

All of them were, it seems.

Samurai could turn invisible, immolate himself, turn into a human-headed whirlwind and create illusions.

El Dorado could lift heavy weights and go toe to toe with super-strong foes, possibly fly (at least levitate), teleported a lot, maybe had telepathy and, like Samurai, could create illusions.

Black Vulcan could turn into lightning to fly around 'at the speed of light*,' but also create lightning bolts that damaged things, that harmlessly wrapped people up like ropes, or that he could even spin around himself to travel through time.

*Lightning, generally, travels fifty times slower than light, but, Bill Nye the Science Guy, this was not. smile

Apache Chief generally just had the one power, originally to grow to fifty feet in height, although he later used knowledge from the Atom to learn to grow first 1/5th the size of the Earth (to repel a giant monster attacking the planet) and then later to many times the size of the Earth! Yikes!

The more I read about these dudes, the more impressed I am by the characters created for the Super Friends *comic book,* such as Godiva, Green Flame, Icemaiden, Tuatara, Bushmaster, Thunderlord, Wild Huntsman, Jack O' Lantern, Olympian, Impala, Dr. Mist, etc. who went on to become the Global Guardians.

Gosh, I'd love to see them again.

Power Boy #810114 06/02/14 01:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yeah, I read Samurai's entry before I saw your reply. And now I've read Black Lightning's. Whew!

Have to agree with you, the comics Global Guardians were a lot less like caricatures! Many of them were fully-dimensional. It's sad that so many of them were slaughtered, they made such a good team.

Power Boy #810129 06/02/14 07:24 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
You have to remember that, on Super Friends, even the characters taken from the comics would suddenly develop the ability to fly or super-strength when it was convenient for the plot!

Eryk Davis Ester #810131 06/02/14 10:24 AM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
I grew up watching the old Super Friends shows and liked when they added the international characters. Sad to see the only created for the show character to ever make it into the comics, and only in a few cameos, was Samurai.
[Linked Image]
Infinite Crisis Hardcover added scenes

[Linked Image]
Justice League of America #46 (August, 2010)

Power Boy #810544 06/06/14 12:39 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It really is shame that, instead of some of the more inept efforts DC has made at adding diversity to their line the past few years, they haven't drawn upon the resources of these existing characters.

Anyway, Super Friends fans take note:

I now have in my hands Showcase Presents: The Super Friends, featuring the first 24 issues of the Super Friends comic book!

Expect reviews in the near future!

Eryk Davis Ester #810548 06/06/14 01:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I now have in my hands Showcase Presents: The Super Friends, featuring the first 24 issues of the Super Friends comic book!

Expect reviews in the near future!

Ooh, very cool. I remember only two storylines, the one introducing the someday-to-be-named Global Guardians, and one involving some sorcerer named Sandor Fane turning four people into elemental heroes (Sylph, Gnome, etc.)

Power Boy #810552 06/06/14 01:31 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't think I've ever read any of them! But I've been looking forward to reading the first issue featuring Villain sidekicks for ages!

Power Boy #810558 06/06/14 02:55 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Apache Chief's write up at a very satirical website (with salty language!).

Now that I mention it, I don't think he was Apache or a chief. His name doesn't make any damn sense. That's like putting a white guy on a team of Native Americans and naming him "Minnesota President."

Bouncing through that site, I should also warn that the humor there is pretty much offensive to everyone human... So, caveat emptor, and all that.

Last edited by Set; 06/06/14 04:00 PM.

Elvar #810669 06/07/14 09:52 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
You have to remember that, on Super Friends, even the characters taken from the comics would suddenly develop the ability to fly or super-strength when it was convenient for the plot!

I should watch the series then! I've only really watched a handful of episodes.

Originally Posted by Elvar

[Linked Image]
Justice League of America #46 (August, 2010)

Thanks for sharing this, Elvar! I totally missed this, even though I had read JLA 46.

Samurai is Japanese and has wind powers. He has all the makings of a favorite of mine!

By the way, "Kaze" is Japanese for "wind". and I think "Hayaku" means "fast".

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/07/14 09:53 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #810675 06/07/14 10:26 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

I should watch the series then! I've only really watched a handful of episodes.

The "Challenge of the Super-Friends" season (with the Legion of Doom) is highly recommended, along with the last two "Super Powers" seasons.

Power Boy #810678 06/07/14 11:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I must have watched the Batman origin episode 'The Fear' in the Galactic Guardians series about a hundred times. That was such a good half hour of animation.

I'm not into the New Gods characters so I found many of the other episodes in that series less interesting, which is a shame because I think the animation and story-telling really stepped up in that series, not that the early series' weren't full of their groovy goodness; I share EDE's love for 'Challenge of the Super-Friends'.

And I echo others' disappointment that DC never made better use of their Super-Friends characters by bringing them over to the main DCU. Black Vulcan may have been unnecessary because of Black Lightning, but Apache Chief, Samurai, El Dorado and Rima were all ripe for exploration. I wonder if there were rights issues involved?

P.S. I had no idea Samurai had made those appearances in the DCU. Was he a villain? Since he appeared in Geoff Johns and James Robinson written comics I wouldn't be surprised if he was graphically dismembered a few pages later.

Power Boy #810681 06/07/14 11:22 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Rima is actually an interesting case, because she was originally featured in adventure novels in the early twentieth century, before starring in her own short-lived DC Comic in the mid-70s, and then appearing on Super Friends because of that.

I've wondered about the rights issue for the other characters myself, but I would think that since Hanna Barbera, which produced the Super Friends, is now under the same big corporate umbrella as DC, I wouldn't think there would be any problem.

Eryk Davis Ester #810683 06/07/14 11:27 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Blacula

P.S. I had no idea Samurai had made those appearances in the DCU. Was he a villain? Since he appeared in Geoff Johns and James Robinson written comics I wouldn't be surprised if he was graphically dismembered a few pages later.

If I remember right, in that story various metahumans with elemental powers were going crazy because of the Starheart. I'm not sure if it was firmly stated he was a hero, but I'm leaning towards that. Other scenes showed the likes of Fire and Ice going berserk and fighting their fellow heroes.

The "Challenge of the Super-Friends" season (with the Legion of Doom) is highly recommended, along with the last two "Super Powers" seasons.

Thanks for the recommendations, EDE!

Power Boy #810714 06/08/14 10:19 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Most of the other powers that Samarai randomly display can probably be explained as corollaries of his basic "air elemental" abilities. He occasionally turns invisible, but that could be thought of as turning his body to a gaseous state. Even his occasional random ability to set things on fire could be explained as the result of his control of oxidation.

His origin... a professor empowered by a beam of energy sent by the New Gods... always reminded me a bit of Doctor Light.

Power Boy #810717 06/08/14 10:28 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
[Linked Image]

Eryk Davis Ester #810743 06/08/14 11:39 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Most of the other powers that Samarai randomly display can probably be explained as corollaries of his basic "air elemental" abilities. He occasionally turns invisible, but that could be thought of as turning his body to a gaseous state. Even his occasional random ability to set things on fire could be explained as the result of his control of oxidation.

Those are interesting and creative extensions of wind powers, EDE. The most I had thought of would be a sort of telekinesis, where he uses fine control of the wind to move objects; and using control of the air to make people dizzy or asphyxiate them )non-fatally of course!) And of course the usual sound-related abilities (using the wind to carry sounds).

Power Boy #810754 06/08/14 12:36 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Originally Posted by Blacula

He was a hero in the Infinite Crisis Hardcover extra pages. As Brainiac stated during his Justice League appearance both heroes and villains with magical and elemental powers were being driven crazy by the Starheart's energies.

His origin... a professor empowered by a beam of energy sent by the New Gods... always reminded me a bit of Doctor Light.

Apparently in the mainstream DC Samurai's origins differ a bit from his Super Powers limited series origin though still connected to the New God Steppenwolf. In Justice League of America 80 Page Giant #1 (November, 2009) The Lord of Time disperses the Justice League throughout time where Superman and Doctor Light end up in Japan in the year 1223 to witness the origins of the original Samurai (Toshio). The powers may be passed down through the generations?
[Linked Image]
Black Vulcan, Samurai and Apache Chief also made a brief cameo in DC One Million 80-Page Giant (August, 1999)
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Conjure Lass
Conjure Lass
St. Louis, Missouri
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star