Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 06:45 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:36 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/28/24 11:42 PM
Why love the legion?
by stile86 - 09/28/24 10:39 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by stile86 - 09/28/24 09:58 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 35 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 34 35
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND SIX!)
Invisible Brainiac #810616 06/07/14 08:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That's how I do it too. Especially since I always vote first. In general, the higher up a character is on my list, the more I can't bear to lose that character.

That's why I usually end up losing large portions of my lists in the middle of these games tongue although this particular game has been the most brutal for me!

Set #810617 06/07/14 08:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Set

Did we ever learn the Phantom Stranger's name? I remember the 'origin' issue for him that had four contradictory origin stories (way to keep it mysterious, DC!), but in his Swamp Thing appearances, Alan Moore seemed to go with the fallen angel interpretation, which I kind of liked.

That's because that's the one of the four he wrote. wink.

They never did reveal anything further, although there was an interesting Vertigo/proto-Vertigo one-shot that gave a differing take on him with a more definitively human aspect.

Invisible Brainiac #810618 06/07/14 08:49 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Is there an origin you particularly like for the Stranger, Dave? Or do you prefer his origins remain forever mysterious?

Set #810622 06/07/14 09:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Set
At that moment, Black Canary was in the bottom six, and her being eliminated at this point might have made heads explode, considering how she and Shayera have been trading off the top slots!

But Emily swooped in and saved the day!

I'm voting for Black Canary mostly because I liked her in JLA: Year One. She also displayed good leadership skills both in the JLA and JSA. I think having her replace Wonder Woman as a founding member in the Post-Crisis continuity was a great idea. She's also one of the few remaining street-levelers left.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #810625 06/07/14 11:23 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I was very happy when Black Canary became JLA chair. Too bad it didn't last that long... I think DC did a poor job of handling the end of her tenure. She just kind of... left. Ugh.

I think she was a good choice as a founder when Diana was unavailable, though I still prefer keeping Diana's role as a founder. No reason to not have both Dinah and Diana as founders though, so the League can have 8.

Having her be both a top martial artist and a powerful meta (that sonic scream is amazing!) is a great idea.

Dave Hackett #810652 06/07/14 06:35 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Originally Posted by Set
Alan Moore seemed to go with the fallen angel interpretation, which I kind of liked.

That's because that's the one of the four he wrote. wink.

They never did reveal anything further, although there was an interesting Vertigo/proto-Vertigo one-shot that gave a differing take on him with a more definitively human aspect.

Given that comic book universes are pretty flexible and changeable and stuff, it's entirely possible that more than one of the Phantom Stranger's origin stories are true, at any given time...

Or, there might be a bunch of them, from different universes, with different origins.

He might even be like Darkseid has been said to be, recently, one of a kind, shared between the multiverses, which might explain why he doesn't bother to show up to 99% of Justice League meetings, and nobody ever calls him on that, because he's split thin between all the alternate universes he's popping in and out of trying to save...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #810653 06/07/14 06:41 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
My favorite Phantom Stranger stories are still his early appearances with Dr. 13!

Eryk Davis Ester #810654 06/07/14 07:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
My favorite Phantom Stranger stories are still his early appearances with Dr. 13!

Oh, I love those. The 'Ghostbreaker' would be called in to debunk something supernatural, and the Stranger would end up having to save him from the supernatural threat he conveniently never gets a good look at, and so leaves still not believing ever existed. smile

I kind of love that his daughter is a magic-user, in the old DCU. That was a little bit brilliant.

Set #810657 06/07/14 09:14 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I loved Traci 13 in her appearances in the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes') comic. That last battle where (IIRC) Guy, Fire, Ice and Booster showed up was awesome.

Originally Posted by Set

He might even be like Darkseid has been said to be, recently, one of a kind, shared between the multiverses, which might explain why he doesn't bother to show up to 99% of Justice League meetings, and nobody ever calls him on that, because he's split thin between all the alternate universes he's popping in and out of trying to save...

I wonder how that works. I'm sure there are lots of times when Darkseid intends to visit one universe and accidentally wanders into another. "Hmph. I seem to have entered Earth-45, instead of Earth-44. No matter. I shall dispatch of those mortals who witnessed my entry by accident. And it shall be as if I never were here."

Invisible Brainiac #810666 06/07/14 09:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Okay, here's a "go big or go home" move. I could easily save two at this point, but I'm going to see if I can save three (or four if someone else swoops in) instead:

1.(Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
2.(Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond)
3.(Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold
4.(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
5.(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age)
6.(Pre-Flashpoint) Wonder Woman (Diana)
7.(Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna
8.(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND 1!!)
Invisible Brainiac #810670 06/07/14 09:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
11 votes in! From "regular" voters, we're missing thothkins, razsolo, Xben and Future.

I ended the last round near midnight, but will definitely end it a bit earlier today (9-10pm?). It's Monday tomorrow and I have work and Blaze has been scolding me for sleeping late so often tongue

Invisible Brainiac #810671 06/07/14 10:14 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Woo, Paladin saves one of my faves!

Invisible Brainiac #810689 06/08/14 01:52 AM
Leader
Leader
I missed the last round! Would my first place vote have been enough to save Wally West? Oh well.

1. (Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
2. (Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer)
3. (Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter
4. (Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold
5. (Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)
6. (Pre-Flashpoint) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
7. (Pre-Flashpoint) Superman
8. (Pre-Flashpoint) Red Tornado

Invisible Brainiac #810692 06/08/14 02:27 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Assuming you hadn't bumped up Superman, Kimiyo, toon Shayera, toon John, Ice and Batman enough, Wally would have been safe. Your first place vote would have given Wally 194 points, saving Wally and eliminating Superman instead.

I am a bit curious about Wally's relatively early exit. Going into the game I thought he'd be a lock for the Top 12. Is he getting ignored in favor of Barry? Or maybe because many of us are just voting for our fave eras, and for most of us that's the Satellite Era?

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/08/14 03:01 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #810693 06/08/14 03:05 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yoikes! running very late in this round - votes sooooon!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #810700 06/08/14 07:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Assuming you hadn't bumped up Superman, Kimiyo, toon Shayera, toon John, Ice and Batman enough, Wally would have been safe. Your first place vote would have given Wally 194 points, saving Wally and eliminating Superman instead.

I am a bit curious about Wally's relatively early exit. Going into the game I thought he'd be a lock for the Top 12. Is he getting ignored in favor of Barry? Or maybe because many of us are just voting for our fave eras, and for most of us that's the Satellite Era?

I like Wally a lot, and I liked him on the League at various times but ... Barry Allen is getting my votes. I think conceptually he's a better character. Those old issues of him as the Flash are so far superior to Wally's Flash series (IMHO).

I actually didn't like Barry's stuff in COIE ... I thought it could've been any big Leaguer put in his role as a plot device.

I don't know, maybe Wally should have got more of my votes than say ... Dr. Light or Fire and Ice but ... Wally is really not an underdog and has gotten loads of screen time.

Invisible Brainiac #810701 06/08/14 07:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I especially liked Kyle and Wally as the young guys on the big seven. in theory.

Invisible Brainiac #810702 06/08/14 08:21 AM
Leader
Leader
Oh well, could have saved Wally then - pretty much my favorite superhero character.

I liked the Satellite era, but the Morrison revival tops everything for me.

Invisible Brainiac #810703 06/08/14 09:21 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
1(Pre-Flashpoint) Vixen 120
2(Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) 70
3(Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) 40
4(Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold 20
5(Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer) 10
6(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen) 6
7(Pre-Flashpoint) Wonder Woman (Diana) 3
8(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age) 1

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Power Boy #810704 06/08/14 09:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Luckily for thothkins, the "sooooooooon" of 5 hours was just in time! 11pm might have been too late.

Originally Posted by Xben
Oh well, could have saved Wally then - pretty much my favorite superhero character.

I liked the Satellite era, but the Morrison revival tops everything for me.

Wally is also one of my faves and easily made my Top 8. I like how he really fit with the rest of the Big 7 in the Morrison era, which is also one of my favorite League eras.

Originally Posted by Power Boy
I especially liked Kyle and Wally as the young guys on the big seven. in theory.

There were times where it didn't work, but for the most part I thought it did.

Invisible Brainiac #810707 06/08/14 09:51 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Oh thothkins, if you didn't exist, I'd have to invent you!

Vixen is (probably!) saved!

Barry vs. Wally is an interesting one.

Barry died around the time I graduated high school, and Wally transitioned from Teen Titan / Kid Flash to Justice League / Flash, so he sort of grew up with me, and I identified with growing up trying to fill the shoes (however successfully) of an absent role-model.

OTOH, Barry was a scientist, and I loves me some smart hero, and especially a smart hero that isn't automatically socially retarded, autistic/idiot savant or an enormous jackass (or, like, a bazillionaire, 'cause not all smart people happen to inherit the GDP of Norway along with their brains).

So I kind of like both, for different reasons. And that's why I'm less likely to vote for either in a 'only one can win' scenario. smile

I kind of have the same problem with Green Lanterns. John Stewart is sixteen flavors of *awesome,* and Kyle Rayner is *an artist with a Green Lantern ring,* which is just crazy brilliant mad genius. I love them both.

Invisible Brainiac #810708 06/08/14 09:51 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I got distracted by Justice League Detroit smile

I like Wally a lot, but Barry Allen would get my points in a contest.

Set #810709 06/08/14 09:58 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Glad you didn't get distracted too much, as I honestly wouldn't have waited until 11pm at the latest tongue

Originally Posted by Set

Barry vs. Wally is an interesting one.

(snip)

So I kind of like both, for different reasons. And that's why I'm less likely to vote for either in a 'only one can win' scenario. smile

I kind of have the same problem with Green Lanterns. John Stewart is sixteen flavors of *awesome,* and Kyle Rayner is *an artist with a Green Lantern ring,* which is just crazy brilliant mad genius. I love them both.

I like your reasons for liking those guys, and those are kind of my reasons too. Barry was made JLA chair in JLA Year One probably for exactly the reasons you outlined above - great people skills and smarts, without being insultingly condescending or overly focused on lab work. But I grew up with Wally, and have more exposure to him.

For the GLs, I do like them all (Hal, John, Kyle AND Guy), but I have the most exposure to Kyle and Guy.

If there weren't many other characters on the list that I liked better, I wouldn't mind voting for multiple Flashes or GLs.

Set #810710 06/08/14 10:00 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Set
Oh thothkins, if you didn't exist, I'd have to invent you!

Ah. There's probably never a good time to say this, but I am in fact one of your other personalities. That's why the points went to Vixen and why my username is connected to your own. Drop me a PM and I'll let you know about the appointment Bastet and Osiris set up with the shrink for next week.

I also like smart heroes like Barry and seeing Wally inherit the legacy over the years. Which will be no surprise to you, and less so after our appointment.

Invisible Brainiac #810712 06/08/14 10:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Round EIGHT is over!

And the bloodbath continues, as several more League stalwarts go home this round...

(Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance) - 288
(Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer) - 259
(Pre-Flashpoint) Wonder Woman (Diana) - 243
(Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) - 241
(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age) - 234

(Pre-Flashpoint) Vixen - 233
(Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna - 222
(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen) - 221
(Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) - 220
(Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold - 206

(Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter - 202
(Pre-Flashpoint) Elongated Man - 192

And your bottom 6 going home this round...

(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkman (Katar Hol, Silver Age) - 166
(Pre-Flashpoint) Superman - 149
(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) - 139
(Pre-Flashpoint) Fire - 131
(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) - 106
(Pre-Flashpoint) Red Tornado - 58

5 guys, 1 gal. 5 Satellite Era Leaguers (two of them founders!) and one JLI stalwart (who, according to DC Cosmic Teams, tied with J'Onn for the longest tenure of that incarnation of the League AND had the longest unbroken tenure to boot!). We also have some very powerful heroes going home this round.

Ranking in terms of number of votes/lists:

(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age) - 8
(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen) - 8
(Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) - 8
(Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter - 8
(Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer) - 7
(Pre-Flashpoint) Wonder Woman (Diana) - 7
(Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance) - 6
(Pre-Flashpoint) Vixen - 6
(Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna - 6
(Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) - 5
(Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold - 5
(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkman (Katar Hol, Silver Age) - 5
(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) - 5
(Pre-Flashpoint) Red Tornado - 5
(Pre-Flashpoint) Elongated Man - 4
(Pre-Flashpoint) Superman - 4
(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) - 4
(Pre-Flashpoint) Fire - 3

Most votes is 8/13; as lists get shorter and shorter I expect we'll see a lot more disparity in lists. In an interesting turn of events, for the first time I think elimination is almost 100% correlated with having the least number of votes. All 6 of the characters going home this round are found towards the bottom of the list in terms of number of voters.

Next round is going to be interesting for sure...

Page 19 of 35 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,849
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Vee
Vee
Paragon City on patrol
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star