Roll Call
0 members (), 28 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 35 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 34 35
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND FOUR!!)
Invisible Brainiac #809808 05/30/14 08:49 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
01. (Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Wally West)
02. (Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
03. (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman (Bruce Wayne)
04. (Pre-Flashpoint) Ice (Tora Olafsdotter)
05. (Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold
06. (JL Unlimited Toon) Hawkgirl
07. (Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
08. (Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna
09. (Pre-Flashpoint) Power Girl
10. (Pre-Flashpoint) Fire
11. (Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
12. (Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter

I've reached that point where I sometimes let my pragmatic "was their Justice League career really that impactful" override my love for the character. Only sometimes!

Future #809812 05/30/14 09:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I think a lot of us are now basing our votes on:

a) practicality (does this character have a shot at making it a few more rounds, or will I just be wasting my vote?)

b) how well did the character shine in the Justice League? some characters are wonderful in their own books, but terrible in a team

Invisible Brainiac #809817 05/30/14 10:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
So, I'm sure one or two of you are trying to vote last so you can better gauge your votes tongue Just a bit of warning, I may end the round earlier on Sunday night. I anticipate I'll be exhausted from my weekend trip, and will probably do the tallies as soon as I get home.

I ended the last two rounds at around 10.30pm Philippine time. I may end this round a few hours earlier than that.

Invisible Brainiac #809825 05/30/14 11:53 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm waiting until I have access to a computer rather than just my phone, but if for some reason I don't manage to post before the deadline, since I believe I lost three from the last round, I'll just specify that I want to vote for all of the remaining characters I voted for last round, in the same order. (I'm actually planning on reordering them, but I'd be okay with the present ordering...)

Invisible Brainiac #809826 05/30/14 11:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think you people are seriously misunderstanding what a pivotal member the Stranger was. Without him Superman and Hawkman would be dead. Dead!

http://iamthephantomstranger.blogsp...f-america-145-aug-1977.html#.U4i3tiitue4

Dave Hackett #809828 05/30/14 01:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I think you people are seriously misunderstanding what a pivotal member the Stranger was.

He's also got the distinction of being one of the few Satellite era Leaguers to not have an array of sidekicks and legacies!

Superman - Superboy, Supergirl, Power Girl, Steel (kinda sorta)
Batman - Robins 1-4, a couple Batgirls, a couple Batwomen, etc.
Wonder Woman - Wonder Girls 1 and 2
Flash - Kid Flash, Impulse
Green Arrow - Green Conner, Red Roy, Artemis, Speedy Mia, etc.
Green Lantern - John, Guy, Kyle, Simon
Aquaman - Mera, Garth, Tula, Jackson, Kalduran

Even the Atom (Molecule) and Plastic Man (Offspring) have their legacies!

In a world where there've been four Doctor Fates and a couple of Spectres and three superhero-ing members of the Zatanna family, the Phantom Stranger walks alone!

In other news, looks like I'm gonna lose another four this round.

That's my lot, picking non-Satellite-era folk!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #809829 05/30/14 02:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

Invisible Brainiac #809832 05/30/14 03:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I do love how they always seemed so surprised that the Phantom Stranger could teleport around, given that they operated out of a space satellite with teleporter tubes...

"Oh, he can fly without a Flight Ring, how amazing and mysterious!" said no Legionnaire ever.

Still, teleportation as a super-power was pretty rare in those days, unlike today when various Avengers and X-teams have their own team buses like Manifold and Magik.

Dave Hackett #809844 05/30/14 08:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
And of course, despite being a member, every single time he shows up on the satellite everyone in the room is required to shout: "The Phantom Stranger!!!!"

The comics don't convey that they all say this in a negative way...

"The Phantom Stranger!!!!" Tone: "Aw cr@p"
"The Phantom Stranger!!!!" Tone: "Hide the silverware"
"The Phantom Stranger!!!!" Tone: "Phantom Perv more like"
"The Phantom Stranger!!!!" Tone: "Prepare for tedious vagueness!"
"The Phantom Stranger!!!!" Tone: "Oh rats! a feeble supernatural adventure."

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #809848 05/30/14 09:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Okay... my vote for reals!

1. (Super Friends) Apache Chief
2. (Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond)
3. (Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkman (Katar Hol, Silver Age)
4. (Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age)
5. (Pre-Flashpoint) Steel (Hank Heywood III)
6. (Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna
7. (Pre-Flashpoint) Red Tornado
8. (Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer)
9. (Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)
10. (Pre-Flashpoint) Elongated Man
11. (Pre-Flashpoint) Vixen
12. (Pre-Flashpoint) Superman

Invisible Brainiac #809852 05/30/14 11:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1.(Pre-Flashpoint) Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond)
2.(Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
3.(Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold
4.(Pre-Flashpoint) Zatanna
5.(Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
6.(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkman (Katar Hol, Silver Age)
7.(Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter
8.(Pre-Flashpoint) Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol, Silver Age)
9.(Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
10.(Pre-Flashpoint) Ice (Tora Olafsdotter)
11.(Pre-Flashpoint) Fire
12.(Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Wally West)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #809853 05/30/14 11:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I decided to cut the icons (Bruce, Clark, Barry, Hal) out of this vote and give the love to the characters who really made the League interesting to me. Hopefully, I gambled correctly and helped both insure the survival of my top faves and give my dark horses a fighting chance with how I re-jiggered the rankings. I didn't do any math; just used the ol' eyeball test, so we'll see....

Loving that Ronnie and the Prof seem to be getting more votes!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #809854 05/30/14 11:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The Golden Boosters of Booster Gold would like to thank Paladin for his generous contribution.

It's Legion World, after all. A vote for the Leaguer who uses a Legion Flight Ring as part of his 'powers' is very on-theme. smile

As of right now, the current top 7 would make a very interesting team! (Assuming my math is not horribly off...)

Both Hawks, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold and Firestorm!

Then again, the *next* 7 would also be a cool team!

Batman, Flash (Barry) Red Tornado, Atom, Vixen, Fire, Zatanna

Interesting to see how the votes go. Mostly we seem to be voting for personal favorites, or those active in our preferred incarnations of the League, and feel most iconically 'Justice League.' Few are voting for sheer power, so more developed and dynamically personalized characters like Black Canary and Hawkgirl are way ahead of much, much more powerful ladies like Power Girl or Big Barda.

Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND FIVE!)
Invisible Brainiac #809860 05/31/14 05:15 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It's good to see Vixen doing so well. Another character I like from that run was Steel.

His Justice League story was growing up even if that meant going against the people he loved and the goals that they had set for his life.

He had been transformed into Steel by his grandfather. Not because of an accident or illness. But because his grandfather was obsessed with carrying on the Steel legacy. He would have carried out his plans through his grandson. That his grandfather had been Commander Steel, a hero in the DCU, gave an idea of the pressure the grandson would have been under growing up. You don't see much of Steel's pain growing up, but a look at the Authority's Hawksmoor (abducted numerous times for surgery) can be used as an example or the terror.

Steel had a certain confidence in his first appearance. His grandfather was giving the league a HQ and Steel came with that. Steel believed in his grandfather. However, it wasn't long before Steel's inner doubts over what had been done to him, questions over his grandfather's authority would surface. Perhaps it was the influence of the others on him.

Eventually, he would go against his grandfather and leave to find his place in the world with the others. He died standing up for his beliefs at a time when the country had outlawed heroes.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #809862 05/31/14 10:15 AM
Leader
Leader
1. (Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Wally West)
2. (Pre-Flashpoint) Black Canary (Dinah Laurel Lance)
3. (Pre-Flashpoint) Booster Gold
4. (Pre-Flashpoint) Martian Manhunter
5. (Pre-Flashpoint) Atom (Ray Palmer)
6. (JL Unlimited Toon) Hawkgirl
7. (Pre-Flashpoint) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
8. (Pre-Flashpoint) Flash (Barry Allen)
9. (Pre-Flashpoint) Superman
10. (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman (Bruce Wayne)
11. (Pre-Flashpoint) Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
12. (Pre-Flashpoint) Blue Beetle

I find that the general ratio of characters that I love and characters that I am okay with and characters that I dislike is remaining more or less the same.

Invisible Brainiac #809863 05/31/14 10:26 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I liked Steel quite a bit, but Vixen was the real breakout character of the Detroit League for me. That Vibe has gotten a push in the nu52 over either of them (or even over Martian Manhunter!) is Bizarro-sauce to me.

Rico Sauve can bite me.

Invisible Brainiac #809867 05/31/14 11:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So who's on the chopping block this round Set?

Invisible Brainiac #809868 05/31/14 11:21 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
As is normal, nobody is more than a single 1st place vote away from salvation.

I wouldn't get too attached to any rhyming demons...

I'll miss six of the ten about to leave us, if nothing changes, but that's more my love of underdogs than anything. smile

Invisible Brainiac #809878 05/31/14 12:14 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
While Superman, Martian Manhunter, Big Barda, etc. hang on, a lot of *serious* powerhouses have left us;

Icon, Olympian, Captain Atom, Faith, Maxima, Aztek, Triumph, Zauriel, Mon-El, Orion, Lobo, Supergirl, Captain Marvel, etc.

Some intrigue me, like Olympian and Captain Atom and perhaps Aztek or Faith, while others, like Lobo and Triumph and Zauriel, I'm finding fonder in their absence. smile

Set #809881 05/31/14 01:46 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Set
I liked Steel quite a bit, but Vixen was the real breakout character of the Detroit League for me. That Vibe has gotten a push in the nu52 over either of them (or even over Martian Manhunter!) is Bizarro-sauce to me.

Steel had plenty of growing to do when we meet him. In fact, a bit of natural demolition and rebuilding of his character. That's quite out of place in the Justice League, but epitomises what it was supposed to be about.

But if you had to pick one of them to drop straight into a classic JLA line up, it would be Vixen. Confident, mature, interesting powers with good visuals, harrowing back story and a career. You can see the roots there for her ongoing before the implosion.

The two complete Conway creations of Vixen and Steel easily stand above Gypsy and Vibe which had Patton influences (if I recall correctly). Patton's visuals for Steel and Vixen remain their best looks for me.

Invisible Brainiac #810006 06/01/14 01:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thothkins
The two complete Conway creations of Vixen and Steel easily stand above Gypsy and Vibe which had Patton influences (if I recall correctly). Patton's visuals for Steel and Vixen remain their best looks for me.

I particularly like any picture of Steel that looks all metallic and glossy, like the memorable Alex Ross picture.

Gypsy. Ugh. My mom is part Romani, enough to have gotten picked on back in France (By her own mother, no less! If grandma didn't want half-gypsy kids, maybe she shouldn't have been having sex with gypsies?), so a super-character named Gypsy dancing barefoot and dressed in classic 'gypsy' garb and with powers related to deception and trickery is about as welcome to me as a black-suited dude in scalplocks with money-related powers called 'the Jew.'

Plus she was boring. Which goes totally against stereotype! smile

Vibe was just, eh. Rictor was no better when he came out a few years later, but, thanks to a second 'coming out,' he's at least a little bit more interesting now. (Overheard in Marvel's secret underwater volcano lair, "Slap another layer of diversity on that boy, see if that works...")

Set #810008 06/01/14 01:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Set
I particularly like any picture of Steel that looks all metallic and glossy, like the memorable Alex Ross picture.

I think that one is of Citizen Steel. Citizen Steel got his powers when someone threw up on him. Created along with seemingly dozens of rebooted characters, in a way suggestive of copyright renewal.

Originally Posted by Set
so a super-character named Gypsy dancing barefoot and dressed in classic 'gypsy' garb and with powers related to deception and trickery...

I spent most of the time wondering why no one would get her some shoes. Surely the first dog fouled street would change her mind on the subject. It must have distracted me from the terrible stereotyping.

Invisible Brainiac #810019 06/01/14 05:40 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi all, really sorry, I know I said I would end this my Monday night but I was terribly exhausted when I got home. Collapse on bed without changing type of exhausted. I'll end this round in a bit - once I get to work, so in 2 hours or so. Next round will last until Wed night, giving us about 60 hours. Thanks for your understanding.

thoth lad #810021 06/01/14 07:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by thothkins
Originally Posted by Set

I think that one is of Citizen Steel. Citizen Steel got his powers when someone threw up on him. Created along with seemingly dozens of rebooted characters, in a way suggestive of copyright renewal.

Also suggestive of Geoff Johns wanting to reinvent the JSA as a sort of X-men for legacy character instead of mutants, and so needing to make up a whole bunch of new legacies in order to justify that.

Invisible Brainiac #810022 06/01/14 07:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah, the "New Generation" of legacies felt pretty forced, and I even liked some of them individually. It's just that they all came in so quickly and the "training ground for heroes" thing really drug the book down a bit. I hadn't realised how much of a step the book lost until the excellent "JSA vs. Kobra" by Eric Trautman came out and made the main book look lame in comparison.

Page 13 of 35 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star