Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35
Re: Justice League Idol!! (ROUND FOUR!!)
Set #809437 05/27/14 05:04 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I'm surprised Angdar Fel hasn't popped in to vote for someone.

hmmm

I'm bummed Black Canary JLU toon got booted so soon, she kicked all kinds of butt in that show.

I sent him a message too. Maybe he's just been busy.

I thought the JLU toon versions would do a bit better too, but I guess most people prefer their comic book versions. I know that for most I'd pick the comics versions too.

Originally Posted by Set
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Originally Posted by Set

13 – 6 (JL Unlimited Toon) Vixen

Set, we lost toon Vixen last round. You may edit your vote.

Thanks! Changed that to (Pre-Flashpoint) Aquaman!

Got it, Set! Thanks too!

Originally Posted by Set
Ten voters so far this round, with quite different tastes, so it's pretty neat how things are landing.

A quick glance at the votes so far tells me some characters who've been doing well up to now are in serious danger, alright.

The last four voters who've been playing in this game also have pretty diverse tastes, so I think pretty much anything could still happen. I think only characters who've broken 300 so far are safe.

Originally Posted by Set
I think Captain Comet was a member at the same time as Starfire, but I barely remember.

I read the League at that time, and I'm positive he wasn't a member during that period. He did hang out with Starfire in other series, but not in the League.

Wikipedia says he got honorary status in DC Special 27. I have no idea when that was tongue I also never read any issues with him being involved with the League; he's in this game because of Wikipedia!

He's certainly powerful enough to have been a Leaguer. I wonder what would happen if Captain Comet and J'Onn battled it out. Hmmm!

Invisible Brainiac #809455 05/27/14 05:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
He's certainly powerful enough to have been a Leaguer. I wonder what would happen if Captain Comet and J'Onn battled it out. Hmmm!

J'Onn wins, nine times out of ten, I'd think.

Captain Comet is probably one of the few DC heroes he couldn't mind-blast into submission, but I think the Manhunter's physical powers are more than a match for Adams.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Eryk Davis Ester #809462 05/27/14 06:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Also, awesome story that should've been written: Captain Comet meets Superboy.

Well, Morrison had him meet the Year One: Jeans and T-Shirt Superman over in Action (and then brought him back for the finale). He starts off as more of a villain, but by the end he's formed the new Wanderers.

Invisible Brainiac #809463 05/27/14 06:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I agree. From Wiki[edia, his current level of physical power is greatly diminished and certainly not at J'Onn levels. Plus, J'Onn's intangibility and shapeshifting still give him an edge.

Maybe I'll partner them together against a pair of Legionnaires next time I'm up on JLA/JSA vs. Legion!

Invisible Brainiac #809465 05/27/14 06:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
His powers have been pretty inconsistent over the years, so it's definitely going to depend on which portrayal you choose.

I'd agree that in raw physical terms J'Onn has the advantage. However, Comet's clairvoyance negates some of J'Onn's other advantages (invisibility, shapeshifting). Being able to use his energy bolts to exploit J'Onn's weakness to fire would even things up quite a bit, though.

Invisible Brainiac #809468 05/27/14 07:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

The last four voters who've been playing in this game also have pretty diverse tastes, so I think pretty much anything could still happen. I think only characters who've broken 300 so far are safe.

Who hasn't voted yet this round who had previously voted? hmmm

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #809469 05/27/14 07:58 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
razsolo, Blacula, and Quislet I believe!

Eryk Davis Ester #809481 05/27/14 10:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Xben is the fourth.

So, any of you plan on running forecasts for how the four of them might vote? tongue

His powers have been pretty inconsistent over the years, so it's definitely going to depend on which portrayal you choose.

I'd agree that in raw physical terms J'Onn has the advantage. However, Comet's clairvoyance negates some of J'Onn's other advantages (invisibility, shapeshifting). Being able to use his energy bolts to exploit J'Onn's weakness to fire would even things up quite a bit, though.

Oh, I'm curious. How does Captain Comet's clairvoyance work? Is it like Postboot, Post-Khund training Dreamer with her waking flashes, or is it more like Preboot Dream Girl with her visions coming to her in dreams? Can he trigger it on demand or does it just happen?

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 05/27/14 10:50 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #809488 05/27/14 11:03 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I assume it's intentional. I think it's usually used to locate an object he is looking for, as in his very first display of powers:

Attached Images comet1.jpg
Invisible Brainiac #809491 05/27/14 11:30 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, EDE. I guess it's also not so much precognition as some form of sixth sense.

Invisible Brainiac #809492 05/27/14 11:44 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Clairvoyance is squiffily defined as 'remote viewing' for the most part, being able to see distant events. (Unlike precognition, which is being able to see events in the future, or retrocognition / postcognition, seeing objects in the past.)

Finding a lost item is more of a dowsing sort of thing, than a clairvoyance thing. (Clairaudience is being able to hear thing remotely, etc. Superman's X-Ray vision and Super-hearing often seem to have elements of these psychic remote sensing powers, as he can see walls into rooms as if they were lit, even though the light can't pass through the walls and he'd see everything in black and white, but that's more comic-book powers than anything.)

But, as with all psychic terminology, it's used pretty indiscriminately in comic books.

It's kind of neat how psychic powers get used in comics. Longshot and Snowbird have postcognition/retrocognition as one of their lesser used powers. Dream Girl and Ravager are rare characters who almost entirely work off of precognition. Telepathy, in Marvel, comes with sixteen discrete other powers, in addition to thought reading and thought sending, including completely unrelated stuff like astral projection and illusion-casting!

Invisible Brainiac #809494 05/27/14 11:55 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
And telekinesis, which is discrete but often gets "pasted onto" telepaths (Tellus, Jean Grey and Psylocke, I'm looking at you). There are quite a few who can also fire "mental force" bolts, right?

And we also have the ones who specialize in taking control of other people, like Karma and Mentalla.

Invisible Brainiac #809495 05/28/14 12:14 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
And telekinesis, which is discrete but often gets "pasted onto" telepaths (Tellus, Jean Grey and Psylocke, I'm looking at you). There are quite a few who can also fire "mental force" bolts, right?

And we also have the ones who specialize in taking control of other people, like Karma and Mentalla.

Yeah, and it's weird, because you can have a completely viable and awesome and effective character based on just one of these aspects. Karma and Moonstar, of the New Mutants, got by for ages on a tiny fraction of what any old telepath can do in the Marvel universe (and, even then, 'pure' telepaths are rarer, as they seem to get added telekinesis, ninja skills and / or a diamond form, because, apparently, a dozen telepathy-adjacent psychic powers is somehow 'not enough'). Even Cypher's instant translation power pales by comparison to the generic telepathic stunt of not only translating any language instantly, but being able to touch people on the forehead and teach them any language instantly (or impart upon them years of skills in other fields, for that matter!).

Telekinesis is another one Marvel does funky things with. It's supposed to be 'move stuff with your mind,' not 'create fluffy Pink Lantern energy constructs and force fields and stuff.'

One of the reasons I've generally loved the Legion over the years is that the cast is so huge that it's rarely seen as necessary to strap more and more powers onto characters like Dream Girl or Invisible Kid, who would be seen as 'too weak' or 'too limited' on other teams.

Then again, it's the Legion, where some of the legendary badasses have powers like 'make it dark' or 'knows karate,' and the 'fourth founder' and oft-times most popular Legionnaire has the super power of 'being really smart.' smile

Invisible Brainiac #809496 05/28/14 12:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Yeah, "pure" telepaths like Saturn Girl can excel with "just" the standard telepathic fare of mental communication, affecting the senses etc. Her more complex feats like putting people to sleep or creating convincing illusions can be justified as natural extensions of her "core" telepathic abilities, probably brought out through practice and hard work. And Tellus was at least born with both telepathy and telekinesis. No need to use random secondary mutations or insane body-switching to explain the addition of new unrelated powers tongue

Invisible Brainiac #809538 05/28/14 12:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Yeah, "pure" telepaths like Saturn Girl can excel with "just" the standard telepathic fare of mental communication, affecting the senses etc.

I do kind of love the assumption seen online on occasion that the X-teams *need* a telepath, as if every other superhero team ever hasn't gone for decades without one.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing someone who fits the telepath communications functionality using some other means, like nano-technology or air manipulation to convey voices or magical talismans or something. Legion Flight Rings and / or telepathic earplugs already cover some of that utility (team communications), but there's plenty of design space for a non-telepath 'team radio,' like some sort of alien shapeshifter that injects some of its own neural tissue into allies, and can communicate through that grafted tissue as easily as it can communicate between parts of its 'brain' in the same body.

Invisible Brainiac #809541 05/28/14 12:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
If advanced enough technology were introduced, Oracle could fit that role for the League. That's a very interesting idea you have there on alien neural tissue, whew! Or maybe a "swarm" type bug alien - was it you who conceptualized that in one of the character brainstorming threads on the boards?

A telepath isn't needed to succeed, but I can see why so many people think the X-teams "need" one. They just give such a big tactical advantage. In JLA/Avengers, the Avengers were oohing and aahing over J'Onn's telepathic link.

Invisible Brainiac #809542 05/28/14 12:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Thanks, EDE. I guess it's also not so much precognition as some form of sixth sense.

Yeah, in the original stories CC seems to have all kinds of randomly appearing enhanced-sensory powers (he is able to tell color by touch, for example).

If I had to pseudo-science it, I'd bet a lot of it could be explained as a function of telekinesis. If he has some sort of mental force that can move objects, then presumably that force can also be used to map out/locate objects in his surroundings. (I suspect Kinetix could do very much the same sort of thing).

Eryk Davis Ester #809545 05/28/14 12:58 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
If I had to pseudo-science it, I'd bet a lot of it could be explained as a function of telekinesis. If he has some sort of mental force that can move objects, then presumably that force can also be used to map out/locate objects in his surroundings. (I suspect Kinetix could do very much the same sort of thing).

That makes sense. If he's generating some sort of psionic energy to move things, then it should be usable like sonar, to just 'feel' the presence of objects around him. That might also make for some creepy feelings for those around him, if he's unconsciously 'tele-mapping' his surroundings at all times, and a particularly sensitive person might actually feel the waves of psionic energy he's releasing for that purpose. Meeting someone with a power like that might feel like you are walking into a faint breeze or high pressure area (perhaps even with ear popping!), as their power invisibly washes over people (and objects) around them.

Invisible Brainiac #809554 05/28/14 02:02 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC Special 27:

Comet is on the JLA Satellite as he feels an affinity with Hawkman, the two of them feel a long way from home.

A comet streaks from the future. Tommy Tomorrow is caught up in it's wake and it transports him into prehistory. In 1977, on it;s way to the past, it causes dinosaurs to appear on Earth. Hawkman makes Comet an honorary member so that Comet can monitor things while Hawkman goes off to Gotham. Other JLA members also respond making you wonder why Hawkman made such a decision. It's all a plan of Chronos. He wants the comet and has drawn it through time. But it misses and ends up in the past. He's able to draw it back, but gets Tomorrow and Tyrano Rex (a creature transformed by the comet) too. Tomorrow & Comet beat all the villains and Superman transports everyone to their correct times.

Something else else bullet shaped drawn backwards through time, like the bullet used by Morrison in Final Crisis. Interesting.

So, his honorary membership is legit, even if it was just done by Hawkman to get him out of monitor duty. Comet was appearing in SSoSV at this time too.

There's an excellent text piece on Tomorrow's early appearances too. It highlights the different dates in which his stories were set.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #809558 05/28/14 02:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Crap! A Tommy Tomorrow appearance as well? I must read that!

Now that I think about it... I don't think I ever read the second volume reprinting the SSoV from a couple years back!

Invisible Brainiac #809565 05/28/14 02:47 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Tommy Tomorrow...and Brent!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #809568 05/28/14 03:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I loved John Bolton's depiction of Jean Grey's powers in a second story in Classice X-Men (5 ish) and she's getting ready for a date with Scott, now infamous scene when they get kidnapped by sentinels ... and everything is just flying around with a look or a few fingers ... no pink Green Lantern just things whizzing around the room. It looked so cool. I wish I could find an image but I can't.

Power Boy #809570 05/28/14 03:29 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I loved John Bolton's depiction of Jean Grey's powers in a second story in Classice X-Men (5 ish) and she's getting ready for a date with Scott, now infamous scene when they get kidnapped by sentinels ... and everything is just flying around with a look or a few fingers ... no pink Green Lantern just things whizzing around the room. It looked so cool. I wish I could find an image but I can't.

Telekinesis is portrayed best in an animated or televised capacity, since the motion can be shown, and it's not just a scene of a person and one or more random objects hovering in mid-air. (The scene of Dr. Manhattan dressing himself before the interview in the Watchmen movie, with all the stuff hovering around him, or of Miss Martian surrounded by cooking materials in the Young Justice cartoon, for instance.) It's super-common as 'magic' in various shows, like Supernatural or Buffy or Charmed.

Comic book portrayals of magnetism are more likely to look like good uses of telekinesis, since Polaris and Magneto are less likely to have visible energy manifestations drawn on the page, in recent years. (Cosmic Boy, unfortunately, tends to have those pink or blue energy circles and 'sproing! sound effect.)

Invisible Brainiac #809571 05/28/14 03:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
razsolo, Blacula, and Quislet I believe!
Xben is the fourth.

Blacula viewed the topic last night but didn't vote! He and the other three could make a HUGE difference! nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Invisible Brainiac #809572 05/28/14 03:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
SPROING!

Page 10 of 35 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star