Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/21/24 01:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/21/24 12:30 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/21/24 03:37 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 06/20/24 10:14 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/20/24 07:00 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/20/24 05:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/20/24 05:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tom Bierbaum's blog...
Mystery Lad #803871 03/26/14 06:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I always feel a little better when I see someone else react to Shooter's breakdowns in the same way. It was a bit of a surprise when I first read it, to say the least.

HPL didn't help himself with his Gentleman Anglophile routine either really.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Mystery Lad #803884 03/27/14 02:28 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
We live in an age of access, in which we can now get almost instant feedback from our favorite creators, and they can get almost instant feedback from their fans. Instead of waiting months to read fan reactions to stuff they've written, they are getting reaction to stuff before it's even hit the stands (thanks to previews), and they can blather away their innermost thoughts willy-nilly, for all to see, even if those innermost thoughts were perhaps not quite ready for prime-time (if, ever...).

That's a blessing, in some respects, and a curse in many others, as most don't seem to realize that stuff they utter is going to hang around on the internet to haunt them *forever,* and something off-the-cuff that they meant as a one-off witty quip can turn out to be something they probably should have thought twice before hitting the enter key.

Worse, some get defensive, and instead of saying, 'Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking, let's all pretend I didn't say that and move on' they try to double-down and dig themselves deeper into a hole by defending some indefensible comment they made or insulting anyone who took offense to it by calling them entitled or whiny or overly sensitive or PC or whatever, rather than take responsibility for their statement and just going 'yeah, my bad, that was dumb.' They end up being the guy who farted and then blames everyone else for the bad smell.

The difference between a Byrne or Shooter, is that when crap happens, they are more likely to say 'Yeah, that story about Carol Danvers riding happily off into the sunset with her incest-rapist? That was creepy and I have no idea what I was thinking approving it.' while someone else might go on a wild tear and blame the fans for not 'getting' his genius story, or write a 'Take That!' cheap shot into a story, satirizing or mocking fans who they are feuding with (such as the AU version of Peter Parker in One More Day who calls comic book and video game fans losers who don't have anything better to do with their lives, and seems to have existed only to demonstrate Queseda's vocal and well-documented contempt for comic book fans who didn't like his 'get rid of Peter's marriage' storyline, or Superboy Prime being cast as a basement-dwelling troll who posts angry on the DC forums).

Once you've devolved into yelling at the hecklers in the audience, you need to get the heck off the stage...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #803905 03/27/14 01:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Set
Once you've devolved into yelling at the hecklers in the audience, you need to get the heck off the stage...

Gerry Conway's Justice League was reduced to that sort of level, killing it before Professor Ivo got anywhere near them.

Superboy Prime fits DC Editorial as much as it does their views of the fans. Superboy Prime was a character used as a nod to the inspiration of DC's future. Now we have a constantly petulant, insecure individual, stuck in a little world of comics while the larger world goes by outside. I can almost hear the removal trucks stopping above the basement moving the Kents out to LA. A constant reminder of squandered opportunity. Perhaps both sides deserve each other smile

The more honest accounts I've read about comics creators and the comics industry in general, the more disheartening it is. There's not a writer or artist I actively follow on any of the available media.

On another note, I reread the Renegade Legionnaire a few nights ago. I can see a lot of links between the Ultra Boy there and the one used by TMK in the role of pitting Trapper & Mordru against each other. There are a few points in the TMK execution I could quibble with, but it's not as much of a leap as I thought it was.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Mystery Lad #803924 03/27/14 03:55 PM
W
Honorary
Honorary
W
Re: Jim Shooter. If you're in high school and writing about a cast of characters likened to your classmates, it's common to consider looking at them sexually. I think that's what stuck in Jim Shooter's mind.

I always respected the Bierbaums. While their tenure on the LSH wasn't my favorite, I never felt their contribution was the reason. Thanks for sharing the link!

Mystery Lad #812206 06/20/14 06:38 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
There's a new entry up as of June 19 about Matter-Eater Lad. Interesting stuff.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,328
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000