Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Eryk Davis Ester), 21 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 10:44 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 10:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 10:40 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 08:39 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Alternate X-Men timelines thread
Fanfic Lady #966403 01/28/19 03:51 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
If they'd just stuck with Professor X and Jean (and I guess later, Rachel) being the only psis both powerful and well-trained enough to encompass all of the specific psi-talents it wouldn't bother me, but yeah with power creep it does get to the point where you've made it impossible to challenge your own characters. By the same token I much prefer a Wolverine who takes time to heal from injuries and can still be killed, an Iceman who isn't functionally immortal with the ability to summon an army of ice golems, a Storm who can't take on the Silver Surfer, etc etc...

Fanfic Lady #968861 03/23/19 04:24 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
In the odd moment, I've been peeking back at some of these issues.

If I read "abody" being "fit to burst" as they're using "the ultimate expression of their powers" again, I'm going to bamf. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #968897 03/23/19 01:33 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad

If I read "abody" being "fit to burst" as they're using "the ultimate expression of their powers" again, I'm going to bamf. smile

Chris Claremont: Secretly a mutant with the code name Cut and Paste Man. wink

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #968901 03/23/19 02:46 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
His editor should really have been gently telling Claremont that while it's nice to have favourite phrases, having every member of the cast say them probably isn't the best way of making them distinctive characters.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #969485 04/08/19 12:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S

Oh, so many recycled lines!

"Welcome to the X-Men [random person], I hope you survive the experience!"

"Thanks, I think."

"The focused totality of my telepathic powers."

"Ah'm nearly invulnerable when ah'm blastin.'"

"and I wouldn't have it any other way!"

Ugh.

Still, it's sometimes fun to play with, such as when I made a Dream Girl/Psylocke mashup who wears a silver ninja-kini and uses a purple psionic whip she calls her 'Cassandra Coil, the focused totality of her precognitive powers' to overwhelm those struck with a senses-shattering barrage of visions of alternate futures.

We could give that sort of 'focused totality' thing to all sorts of mutants. Doug Ramsey smacking people with his Babel Strike, the focused totality of his omnilingual powers (rendering them aphasic and incapable of understanding or speaking clearly). Xian Coy Manh flinging her 'Ki Needles, the focused totality of her mind control abilities' at someone causing them to lose all control of their own body and mind, and collapse bonelessly to convulse on the ground (the quick and dirty version of mind control, requiring no concentration on her part, as she merely disrupts one's own control, without requiring the focus and distraction of imposing her own, making it better suited to a fast paced fight with lots of stuff going on).

Last edited by Set; 04/08/19 12:44 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #969494 04/08/19 01:42 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
hahaha I actually love the Claremontisms laugh

For all that he has his particular phrases he likes to reuse (and the body horror/embracing the secret darkness within tropes that got way out of control later on), I think there aren't many mainstream comic writers who were so good at giving their characters a well-rounded background and personality. Nobody has ever been able to make Storm, Mystique or Spiral sound like themselves since he left Marvel (just off the top of my head)....and I think through most of his first run on the team he was good at giving his characters real flaws that actually impacted them as well; Wolverine as the impossible-to-kill battle god was something that only came along after Claremont left; there were times when a lot of characters came close to killing him who wouldn't stand a chance nowadays.

I think he was always generally pretty good at utilising the larger sandbox of the Marvel Universe as well...Spider-Man, Misty Knight, the Fantastic Four etc never felt like they were second-rate when they worked with the X-Men and when it made sense character-wise they were actually better at some things. A lot of writers aren't that good at letting their pet characters come second place even when it makes sense.

Fanfic Lady #969532 04/08/19 02:10 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Razsolo
hahaha I actually love the Claremontisms

They can get on your wick when doing a reread of a lot of them. I couldn't wait for them to shut up sometimes. smile

...For all that he has his particular phrases he likes to reuse (and the body horror/embracing the secret darkness within tropes that got way out of control later on),

I think that the body horror extends itself thematically through the core of the book. Claremont seems to be frequently keen to transform the team and concept, never mind the individual characters.

Base of Operations: The school fades away to an island base; deep space for many issues; San Francisco; Morlock tunnels and Australian outback with frequent trips to Muir Island. I read that Harras had wanted to get back to it being a school with Prof X. That was a very long time ago for Claremont stories. He'd gone out of his way to show the characters develop beyond that setting. Besides which, apart from a good spell at the mansion, earlier in his run, the original version of it managed to get cancelled.

Personnel: It changed with increasing frequency. Initially it was the likes of Angel returning, or Scott. But the additions of Rachel, Kitty, ROgue and MagnetoBut there was an overhaul at the time he was looking use Moore's story, and Psylocke, Havok, Dazzler and Longshot joined in short order. Then it was the Muir Island X-Men, then a shifting set of teams beyond.

Purpose: Xavier's dream of mutants and humans living together looks daft when you're behind the wall of an all mutants school. It's simply reinforcing the stereotype that somehow mutants aren't human. They became defenders of the Earth on a few occasions and then proactive agents of justice in their "Moore"/Australian days.

A lot of writers aren't that good at letting their pet characters come second place even when it makes sense.

I don't really know anything about Claremont. I did read a quote suggesting that if he had ever written a character, he thought it was his to play with. I also read Claremont saying that he was happy to return cast members to their books, if they were wanted, and belonged there. The example being Misty Knight and Coleen Wing. I've no idea if there was another book being published with them, when Claremont was using them in X-Men. I get the impression he enjoyed using the ideas he had for characters he'd previously written, and in brining them into his X-Verse. I'm not sure that he saw huge distinctions between them if he could tell his story. A lot of plots combined both sets of characters anyway. Wing and Summers for example. Seems fine to me. I don't recall anyone being damaged and it's up to editorial to keep that side of things straight. I did read he rather pinched and broke Longshot though.

I think there aren't many mainstream comic writers who were so good at giving their characters a well-rounded background and personality...and I think through most of his first run on the team he was good at giving his characters real flaws that actually impacted them as well;

There are hints that Claremont had a *lot* of background information on the cast that rarely made it onto the page. On one hand it added depth to them, but could also lead to some fragmented storytelling. Beyond the usual planting of plot seeds, there's a lot of stories that go nowhere, have a disjointed arc or look to have been abandoned at various stages.

On a more positive note, a lot of those character issues, also dealt with transformative subjects, mirroring what was going on everywhere else in the book.

Wolverine: A man struggling between serious psychopathic issues and trying to control this through an idealised form of Bushido.
Rogue: Multiple personalities increasingly at odds within the same body.
Magneto: Transformed from stock villain into someone who has to reassess his actions and shape the dream of a former foe.
Nightcrawler: The romantic one who looks different. Convictions in a religion whose devil images look like he does. His is a moral transformation/ test.
Colossus: Ideological transformations were handled less than deftly early on.
Storm: Her form, function and powers change with the weather. Child thief; wind rider; storm goddess; dark storm; sorceress; vampire; unarmed combat champion...
Havok: Tries to contain a huge power and loses his life in pieces; his partner; his freedom from choice; killing and then sacrificing what was left in Dallas.
Dazzler: The one who saw nothing wrong with living a normal life with dreams. The backlash from that left her having to disguise herself, and live those dreams vicariously. Dazzler's actions helped to transform the wider society. Just not in the way she hoped.
Rachel: Looking to transform the timeline, only to find herself perhaps in the wrong one.

Fanfic Lady #1019955 11/02/22 03:32 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
BUMP

Hey, all,

It took a few more years, but I'm ready to pick up where I left off, with Magneto dying at the same time that Rachel Summers is being born. I'm also going to fill in the gap between 182 and 200.

Stay tuned.

Fanfic Lady #1019965 11/02/22 09:10 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Looking forward to reading more.

Fanfic Lady #1019979 11/03/22 04:37 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks for the encouragement, Thoth.

I've decided I'm going to fill in the gap before I move forward past 200.

Re: An alternate X-Men timeline
Fanfic Lady #1019980 11/03/22 04:39 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Here's where we left off:

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
CROSSFIRE: 168-175

Cyclops - Dealing with the revelation that Corsair is his father, getting cold feet about marriage.
Phoenix - Wants desperately to marry and settle down.
Wolverine - Dealing with the revelation that he has a delinquent teenage bastard son.
Storm - Still shaken from her manipulations by Dormammu and Umar.
Nightcrawler - Struggling to maintain his religious faith in the wake of his recent experiences.
Colossus - Unsure of his place in the world.
Shadowcat - Learning to stand on her own. Falling in love with Colossus.
Professor X - Heartbroken over Lilandra’s newfound ruthlessness.

The X-Men are attacked by the newest incarnation of the Brotherhood of Mutants, now consisting of Magneto, Pyro, Blob, Unus, Avalanche, and Rogue (Mystique and Destiny were ousted after Mystique’s loss of nerve during the last battle, and Rogue took the male members’ side against her adoptive mothers.) But the two opposing teams must work together after Emma Frost uses time-travel tech to bring forth a team of paramilitary mutant rebels from an alternate future who live only to terrorize humanity: the Mutant Liberation Front -- Cable (an alternate-future son of Phoenix and Wolverine), Powerhouse (Franklin Richards), Dazzler, Domino, Deadpool, Bishop, and Psylocke.

In the aftermath, the X-Men disperse, with Cyclops and Phoenix quitting the team to marry and settle down, Nightcrawler and Colossus joining Moira on Muir Isle, Storm returning to Africa, and Wolverine, Shadowcat and Professor X left to form a new team; the Brotherhood splits in half, with Magneto, Rogue, and Unus desiring redemption, while Pyro, Blob, and Avalanche decide to remain outlaws; Emma Frost is outed as a mutant and arrested for crimes against humanity, while the MLF are stuck in this timeline and left floundering without a leader (Wolverine killed Cable).

When Scott and Jean marry, all their former teammates are reunited one last time.

LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL: 176-182

Rogue joins the X-Men, as does Unus’ 19-year old daughter Carmella, who takes on the codename Armor. The X-Men’s ranks are filled out by Madrox the Multiple Man and Banshee II (formerly Siryn), who leave Muir Island for Westchester, and a brand new recruit, Cannonball.

In the new team’s first adventure, a concert by Madrox’s favorite rock star, Lila Cheney, turns into a dimension-hopping adventure when Lila turns out to be a mutant on the run from inter-dimensional police. Although Madrox lusts for Lila, it’s Cannonball who she develops an attraction to, but Cannonball turns her down; Lila’s bodyguard Guido takes pity on Madrox and they form the beginnings of a friendship, which leads to Guido convincing Lila to let Madrox join her road crew. The X-Men are left short one member.

CONTINUED...

Fanfic Lady #1019981 11/03/22 05:00 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
And here's where the roll call stands right now:

Wolverine (team leader)
Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde)
Rogue
Banshee 2 (Theresa Rourke Cassidy, daughter of Banshee 1, Sean Cassidy)
Cannonball (Sam Guthrie)
Armor (Carmella Unuscione, daughter of Unus the Untouchable)

LION HEARTLESS: 183-189

The X-Men combine business with pleasure by visiting their allies on Muir Isle (where Moira introduces them to her ward, a shy girl named Rahne Sinclair) while simultaneously working at rounding up the scattered members of the Mutant Liberation Front. This leads to a clash on the streets of London with none other than Captain Britain, whose sister Betsy Braddock is destined to become the MLF member Psylocke at some point in the future. When the smoke clears, Theresa stands revealed as the MLF mole, Rahne turns out to be a werewolf, and Betsy has killed her own future self.

Fanfic Lady #1019982 11/03/22 05:02 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
So the X-Men now are Professor X, Wolvie, Kitty, Rogue, Unus's daughter, Siryn and Cannonball? That is a really interesting dynamic, I dig it!

Emma being outed as a villain so early in the piece is early as well, that changes a lot moving forward!

Fanfic Lady #1019984 11/03/22 05:05 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thank you, Raz.

Regarding Emma, I neglected to mention before that she was outed through the efforts of Val Cooper and closeted mutant Raven "Mystique" Darkholme.

Fanfic Lady #1019999 11/03/22 04:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I reread the thread. I'd been thinking of the Moore plots a while ago, and had reread the issues while dusting off the notes.

So, Im a lot more familiar with the shifts in plot you've done here. It certainly adds to the enjoyment, and the work you've put in.

The line up is interesting. In rereads, the team had fewer core members thanId thought. You've shown the same thing. With such rich backgrounds, it's all too easy for many of them to find paths away from the team.

Kitty's early time with the team had her connected to Storm. But this changed to Wolverine as she found her own way, and her relationship with Colossus blossomed and faded. In this younger team, reminding me of New Mutants/ original students, that Kitty/ Wolvie one is more central. Good to see Theresa used more fully, as she really should have been.

Looking forward to more.

thoth lad #1020028 11/04/22 09:00 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I reread the thread. I'd been thinking of the Moore plots a while ago, and had reread the issues while dusting off the notes.

So, Im a lot more familiar with the shifts in plot you've done here. It certainly adds to the enjoyment, and the work you've put in.

The line up is interesting. In rereads, the team had fewer core members thanId thought. You've shown the same thing. With such rich backgrounds, it's all too easy for many of them to find paths away from the team.

Kitty's early time with the team had her connected to Storm. But this changed to Wolverine as she found her own way, and her relationship with Colossus blossomed and faded. In this younger team, reminding me of New Mutants/ original students, that Kitty/ Wolvie one is more central. Good to see Theresa used more fully, as she really should have been.

Looking forward to more.

Thank you kindly, Thoth.

Regarding Theresa, I thought that certain parts of her background, being raised by supervillains, would make her the most logical choice to be the mole. And we haven't seen the last of her, there's still the question of whether the X-Men should keep her in their custody instead of turning her over to the authorities. Also, her father is devastated by what she has become.

Issue 190 will be a light-hearted, romantic change of pace, as Sam finally musters the courage to ask Rogue out on a date. It's coming along so well, I'm tempted to actually write it out as a full-length story.

Fanfic Lady #1020031 11/04/22 12:09 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Daughter of morally iffy secret agent and Factor 3 dupe, raised by villains.
Daughter of a villain who was a member of the brotherhood.
Adoptive daughter of a villainess who was a key part of the brotherhood.
I think Sam started off as the pawn of villains too.

Poor Kitty is left looking to reluctant leader Wolvie. I wonder what the Prof thinks of his latest team, so far removed from the original students.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,452
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rickshaw1
rickshaw1
South Carolina
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star