Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/24/24 02:06 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/24/24 02:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by razsolo - 06/24/24 01:32 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/23/24 08:57 PM
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
by Gaseous Lad - 06/23/24 08:36 PM
Bad jokes
by Ann Hebistand - 06/23/24 06:54 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Comics that have ended your interest in characters
thoth lad #789873 10/06/13 09:38 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Someone's got to completely explain this "Hawkeye raped Wanda" thing. I can't be quite as simple as that, or the internet would have just completely imploded when it happened. Petty sure I would have noticed......? confused

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
thoth lad #789874 10/06/13 09:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh, as for me...I used to really love Wolverine until Marvel decided to start capitalizing on him beyond belief. Especially, when they started filling in his background, it was a huge letdown. No actual story could ever love up to what our imaginations came up with for this mystery msn. The Weapon X story and all the background characters they forced in--it was all the beginning of the end for me. By the time
"Origin" came around, I was already sick of the character. At least I had already jumped off before I wasted good money on that!

And now, of course, he's on every X-Men and Avenger team and has 2 or 3 solo books on top of those.

Sickening. shake

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
thoth lad #789885 10/07/13 12:29 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Wolverine always bugged me. From a gaming standpoint, he's a terrible character to play, both because his powers kind of suck (he's got no real defense, other than getting back up after you beat him like a redheaded stepchild, he's got no offense that can reach past his hands, making him deadweight against people who can fly, or have force fields, or any of a dozen other terribly common powers, and he's got no way of transporting himself around, making him dependent on being carried or thrown at problems) and in personality (moody antisocial loner who causes conflict in every group he joins and has a history of attacking teammates, just what *everybody* needs...).

So, really, I don't think any writer could make him worse. Even if his dad was an extradimensional mutant demon and he got elected Pope, I'd be like, 'eh.'

That this happened instead to Nightcrawler, a character I liked, was more annoying, but I think that that entire storyline has been retconned away anyway. And if not, I've personally retconned it anyway. So take that, Chuck Austen!

As to something cleome said a few pages back, I remember feeling really uncomfortable when some fans over at the DC boards called Shady a 'slut' for shacking up with Earth-Man. That's another thing I can't bring myself to blame Shady for. Bad writing is bad. No excuse, and no reason to blame the character, or engage in slut-shaming or sex-copping behaviors.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Power Boy #789890 10/07/13 05:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Power Boy

Morrisson ruined a lot of great X-Men for me ... Professor X turned into a murderer of his twin twice over ... once strangling her in the womb and secondly icing her with a bullet through the head.

I mean ... those arent even creative ways or series of events to lead to a death.

Not to mention it contradicts like 50 years of character development

Ummm, not to spoil things too much, but did you read that arc to completion? No everything is as it seems in the scenario you listed above.

thoth lad #789891 10/07/13 06:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No sir. No sir I did not. I jumped ship.

hmmm I am not sure I am curious enough to look into but I feel a bit better.

smile nod

thoth lad #789892 10/07/13 06:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Morrisson did a great Emme Frost but after he changed, to join the X-Team and hook up with Cyclops, her other writers haven't taken her anywhere good. Now she is just Cyclop's babe ... he likes telepaths it seems ... instead of the brilliant woman who took on all the X-Men and started a school to compete with Charles Xavier's.

thoth lad #789893 10/07/13 06:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
His secondary mutations also were interesting at the time but after it was over it just left characters diluted. IMO.

Last edited by Power Boy; 10/07/13 06:36 AM.
Power Boy #789894 10/07/13 06:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Power Boy
No sir. No sir I did not. I jumped ship.

hmmm I am not sure I am curious enough to look into but I feel a bit better.

smile nod

Spoilers, Ho!

Just after she was immobilized, but before Xavier shows up, Cassandra psychically jumps ship, switches places with Xavier, gets the gun, and kills "Cassandra". If you read her gobblety-gook speech just before she's shot phonetically, she say "No, wait, I'm Charles Xavier".
The next arc with Xavier deciding to go public with the school then leave with the Shi-aar, is all just Cassandra trying to ruin the X-men from within and set up the fall of mutant-kind.
Jean and Emma grudgingly work together to retrieve Xavier's consciousness and get it back to his body before Cassandra has the Imperial Guard wipe out the school.

thoth lad #789896 10/07/13 07:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh. I did get one random issue after the shot through the head. but I thought it was the Shadow King ruining the Sh'iar. Because there was a psychic effect drawn like his.

It sounds better when you put it like that. Thanks!
Sounds like it is worth a read at least but I might have to read the whole run to get it.

thoth lad #789897 10/07/13 07:10 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Set:

That said, pretty much every appearance of Brainy since the boneheaded decision to make him act just like Vril Dox

The only Brainy that was really written that way was the threeboot Brainy. I thought Brainy of the Johns-boot was spot-on. He wasn't particularly manipulative, the other Legionnaires were genuinely his friends, and he was happy to treat them as social equals, albeit not intellectual equals (which they weren't).

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Lard Lad #789908 10/07/13 10:20 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally Posted by Paladin
Oh, as for me...I used to really love Wolverine until Marvel decided to start capitalizing on him beyond belief. Especially, when they started filling in his background, it was a huge letdown. No actual story could ever live up to what our imaginations came up with for this mystery man...

Totally agreed. Little vignettes or flashbacks that are relevant to a particular story I could understand, but not trying to define everything the character ever did or everywhere he went. It ruins the mystery. I was fine with him just being the mysterious loner chosen for a secret government project precisely because he had no previous ties (familial or official) that they knew of.

I also agree that he doesn't need to be in every bloody book in the Marvel-verse, though I guess you could argue that he still gets less panel time than Batman. tongue

Last edited by cleome47; 10/07/13 10:21 AM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
thoth lad #789918 10/07/13 12:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
OP Offline
Tempus Fugitive
There were some really nice early moments in the Morrison run. He went in with a real feeling of how the group related to each other, and their dialogue and tone changes accordingly.

Once Quietly wasn't on the art though, it suffered a bit. The it seemed to lose it's momentum.

Once Claremont really got his..um...claws into the character of Wolverine, he had his moments. Xavier teaching the clawed psycho about finding a better path, leading to his interest in martial self control in Japan. Very much of it's time, but it was a character arc of sorts.

Had he remained the way he way was, Angel would have been right to leave. These days he's something for everyone. A friend is particularly disgusted with a recent best pals house hunting issue with Jubilee.

I suggested that one of the other cast members was off panel with prompt cards for Wolvie's dialogue.

For me, he's mostly been pretty poor. But having him in charge of the kids seemed like madness to me.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #789932 10/07/13 02:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, Wolverine acts different in every book he is in.

Claremont's Wolverine where he tried to be a better man and not an animal was the only time I really warmed to him.

That bone clawed Wolverine was pretty bottom of the barrel though.

Last edited by Power Boy; 10/07/13 02:19 PM.
thoth lad #789935 10/07/13 02:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
see:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

thoth lad #789944 10/07/13 04:34 PM
Tempus Fugitive
OP Offline
Tempus Fugitive
just the sort of person you'd want your kids taught by. Welcome to Xavier's (or is it Jean Grey's school of resurrection now?)

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #789948 10/07/13 04:45 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Paladin
Someone's got to completely explain this "Hawkeye raped Wanda" thing. I can't be quite as simple as that, or the internet would have just completely imploded when it happened. Petty sure I would have noticed......? confused

Bendis can be quite insidious. It wasn't presented in a graphic or agressive manner, which doesn't make it any less offenssive. Basically, Hawkeye took advantage of Wanda's dazed and confused state to seduce her and make love to her. Any way you slice it, it's unforgivably sleazy, especially for Hawkeye who, pre-Bendis, was -- for all his rough edges -- always highly moral.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
thoth lad #789953 10/07/13 05:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/05/the-abandoned-an%E2%80%99-forsaked-so-hawkeye-had-sex-with-a-doombot/

thoth lad #789954 10/07/13 05:04 PM
That doesn't count. It was a retcon after the fact. When Bendis wrote the original story, it was supposed to be Wanda.

thoth lad #789955 10/07/13 05:04 PM
Tempus Fugitive
OP Offline
Tempus Fugitive
Does having a bow and arrow on a super team turn you into some kind of super creep?

That's Speedy & Hawkeye. Green Arrow has been shown in a number of less than flattering lights down the years too.

Hey, even Alias the Spider turned out to really have been a super villain all along as part of Robinson retconning.

thoth lad #789956 10/07/13 05:15 PM
Green Arrow was all right until a couple years after his resurrection, when Judd Winick became the writer on his solo book and proved beyond a doubt that he had nothing but contempt for Green Arrow. Then James Robinson compounded all the wrongness with Cry For Justice.

It's sad, really, because I used to love Green Arrow even more than I loved Hawkeye.

thoth lad #789957 10/07/13 05:21 PM
Tempus Fugitive
OP Offline
Tempus Fugitive
Hmmm. James Robinson trend in making bow and arrow heroes scum.

Perhaps Robinson had an accident at a carnival/archery class as a child. Perhaps he was shipwrecked as a young man but utterly failed to construct a bow and arrows from the jungle.
That bitterness has stayed with him through the years.

He'll be on Hawkeye before you know it, or at least the Squadron Supreme's Golden Archer

thoth lad #789958 10/07/13 05:25 PM
Golden Archer's long dead, and good riddance. He used the Squadron Supreme's behavior-modification machinery to force Lady Lark to love him.

thoth lad #789963 10/07/13 05:39 PM
Tempus Fugitive
OP Offline
Tempus Fugitive
See? another bow and arrow creep! what is going on?

Fanfic Lady #790245 10/11/13 08:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
That doesn't count. It was a retcon after the fact. When Bendis wrote the original story, it was supposed to be Wanda.

Did you scroll down to the actual panels? It is much more unclear than you say.

thoth lad #790246 10/11/13 08:24 PM
I admit I didn't. I'm sick of this whole thing already and I wish I'd never brought it up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,385
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star