Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:25 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:20 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 53 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 52 53
Re: Kill This Thread IX: The 24-Hour Version (Fifth Time)
Rockhopper Lad #784671 08/24/13 10:33 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I know I've said it before, but I don't see the point in wasting any loyalty on DC. A person's time and money ought to go to somebody who's willing to earn it. If they're not willing to do that, forget 'em.

I don't see the point in my caring about DC's long-term health more than the people at DC actually do. The comics-verse seems to mean little to them these days beyond being a place where they can keep an iron grip on copyrights and grow future blockbuster film fodder. Fine. If that's what they want, I'll just be somewhere faaaaaaar away, reading and paying for books I actually enjoy that are written and drawn by people I actually respect.

shrug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Rockhopper Lad #784673 08/24/13 10:41 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I think for me the loyalty hasn't so much been to DC itself as it has been to the characters. For many years, I considered my loyalty to DC's second-string characters. My teams were, of course, the Legion and the JSA and their affiliated groups. My solo heroes were Flash, Green Lantern (who was second string back then), Hawkman, Dr. Fate and the Spectre.

If I give up on DC, the only comics I would read would not be in the super-hero genre at all. I'll read the Archies I pick up for my mom, as I said earlier, and some of the others that come up by Kaboom, such as their Peanuts series.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Rockhopper Lad #784674 08/24/13 10:45 AM
No way out but through though.

The only way to support characters without supporting the people who own them is via fanart and fanfiction. At least when it comes to money. Time is another story, she said as if she'd never written or drawn anything fan-ish. laugh

The last comic I really cared about was/is Stuff of Legend, which isn't superheroes but definitely has heroic elements. I haven't been able to keep up on that one over the last year either, though.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Rockhopper Lad #784676 08/24/13 10:51 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
My first attempts at writing anything were fan fiction. When I was eight, I wrote and drew a comic book story involving my sisters, me, and the Wonder Twins.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Rockhopper Lad #784677 08/24/13 10:53 AM
Tiny Team Rockhopper!

I can so picture this drawn by Art Baltazar! nod

Last edited by cleome47; 08/24/13 10:54 AM.

Rockhopper Lad #784678 08/24/13 10:59 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
One problem I had with those characters was I wasn't exactly sure how to spell "Jayna". I think the first story featured "Jaina".

Rockhopper Lad #784680 08/24/13 11:07 AM
Hey, I had to look up Art Baltazar's name to make sure I didn't misspell it. nod

Rockhopper Lad #784682 08/24/13 11:17 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
It wasn't till I got my hands on a copy of Super Friends #12 that summer that I learned the correct spelling of Jayna's name. Back in the dark ages of the late 1970s, stores were inconsistent in which comics they carried.

Rockhopper Lad #784690 08/24/13 01:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
When I was 7, I still had a hard time figuring out who was who in comics. I thought Dr. Light in her black costume and Dr. Light in her yellow costume were two different people (partly because they acted so differently!). I also thought Guy Gardner with a green lantern ring was from a different reality as Guy Gardner with Sinestro's ring.

Rockhopper Lad #784695 08/24/13 02:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've been slowly phasing out DCFU over the past year. When Legion and Dial H were announced as being cancelled, those two were my final holdouts. Of those two, only Dial H was really worth buying. LSH was just out of loyalty, the only book I would do that for. So this week was it for me for the DC characters I grew up for as it was the final LSH (Dial H having concluded earlier this month).

I'll never say "never", but it would take a real sea change for me to return. I do still buy things from the Vertigo line and am overall very satisfied with those titles. But I feel that's a whole different animal.

As for Marvel, which I also grew up on, I'm down to four books: Hawkeye, Daredevil, Young Avengers and Superior Spider-man. Those four are holding steady. It helps that they are all pretty insular, meaning you don't have to buy five crossovers every other month to understand the story.

Otherwise, it's a wealth of great books from Image, Dark Horse, Dynamite and a handful of others.

To be completely honest, though, I've been slowly drifting away from Big Two superheroes long before the DCFU came along.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Rockhopper Lad #784722 08/24/13 06:16 PM
I was thinking of re-re-rereading Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison just so I could write a review of it. The problem is that once I start reading it I'll need to keep going until the end. Which doesn't work when I have a yard to till, food to cook, a job to go to, etc.

shake

Short review from cleome: Box Office Poison is a rockin' graphic novel. It's teeming with comics meta and tons of terrific art and amazing characters. It's absolutely the book I'd hand to anyone who never cared for superheroes and who can't understand why anyone over the age of twelve ever would care.

Everyone needs to read if they haven't done so yet. So there.

P.S. - The same review would apply to Dylan Horrocks' Hicksville. I didn't even find out until a couple of years ago that most fans know Horrocks because he wrote some Batman stories some time after the graphic novel was completed.

Last edited by cleome47; 08/24/13 06:18 PM.

Rockhopper Lad #784745 08/24/13 07:51 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I got my hands on a copy of local Philippine comic book mini-series The Mythology Class, about a group of college students gathered together by time-traveling heroes straight out of legend to capture mystical creatures loose in the modern day. I'd been looking for it for years ever since I browsed through, but failed to buy, a copy in a bookstore.

Rockhopper Lad #784778 08/24/13 10:14 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
When I was a kid I was fascinated by the idea of time travel. One of my favorite shows was Voyagers!, the story of a man and a boy who traveled through time to make sure history went the right way. Sadly, it lasted only one season (1982-3). The show's star, Jon-Erik Hexum, was quite the hunk and to a thirteen-year-old gay boy was just a dream come true. Tragically, he died in 1984 after he accidentally shot himself on the set of his next series, Cover Up.

Rockhopper Lad #784781 08/24/13 10:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
My favorite series involving time travel was Quantum Leap. The time travel was always secondary to the great ability to essentially tell a new story every week. Very humanistic sci-fi.

One that could have been great was a show that was cancelled before it had a whole season, Journeyman. This show was on about 6 years or so ago and had a premise similar to a movie I like (based on a book) that was released a couple years ago and people might be more familiar with called The Time Traveler's Wife. Similar to that film, Journeyman featured a family man who time-travelled uncontrollably and had to somehow maintain a normal life while correcting some wrinkles in time.

In a way Journeyman is basically Quantum Leap meets The Time Traveler's Wife. The latter may have had an influence since it was published as a book in 2003, six years before the film adaptation was released. I sure wish Journeyman would have found an audience. But that's true of many promising shows cut down before they really had a chance.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Rockhopper Lad #784786 08/24/13 10:41 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Quantum Leap was a favorite of mine also. It had great stories and great acting. It managed to introduce new characters every week that viewers could care about. I also had quite the crush on Scott Bakula. wink

Rockhopper Lad #784807 08/25/13 03:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I read that as Scott Blacula, for some reason tongue

The penguin and the vampire bat!

Rockhopper Lad #784812 08/25/13 06:59 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I always did have a fondness for vampires. wink

Rockhopper Lad #784825 08/25/13 12:26 PM
Not into vampires... not into zombies... I feel so out of it.

Rockhopper Lad #784826 08/25/13 12:31 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I liked vampires before it was cool. My favorite Saturday morning cartoon when I was eleven was a rather obscure show called Drak Pack. It actually displaced Super Friends for my top spot.

Rockhopper Lad #784848 08/25/13 02:18 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I haven't seen "Drak Pack" since watching reruns in the late 80s, but I remember it quite fondly. I remember the first few episodes had a great mix of fun and frights, but the later episodes toned down the frights a bit. Still one of the best Saturday morning cartoons of its time. I especially liked the villainess Vampira, who was voiced by Julie McWhirter, who was a really talented voice-over actress but who, sadly, ended her career after marrying...Rick "Disco Duck" Dees.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Rockhopper Lad #784851 08/25/13 02:21 PM
I recall a fondness for The Count from Sesame Street. Oh, and I thought Storm vs. Dracula in the pre-indecipherable days of The X-Men was pretty cool. That's about it.

shrug

Rockhopper Lad #784852 08/25/13 02:25 PM
I don't like Storm vs. Dracula, because in that story Claremont killed off Rachel Van Helsing, my favorite character from the "Tomb of Dracula" comic.

Rockhopper Lad #784855 08/25/13 02:47 PM
It's comics. I'm surprised she wasn't back three weeks/months/years later. evil

Rockhopper Lad #784856 08/25/13 02:49 PM
laugh

This was the early 80s, before death in comics turned into a revolving door.

Actually, it's all Kurt Busiek's fault, because he's the one who came up with the idea of how to bring back Jean Grey.

Rockhopper Lad #784857 08/25/13 02:54 PM
I remember that was around the same time that they pretended to kill Kazar, changing the name of his book for a single issue.

I guess deaths that are meant to be fake-outs from the start are a category unto themselves. Well, kind of.

Page 27 of 53 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 52 53

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,835
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
future king
future king
ontario
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star