Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by stile86 - 09/28/24 09:58 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pre Crisis Continuity.
#77108 12/03/07 01:44 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
While reading the Legion Wiki, I read something I did not know and wanted to confirm I understand it correctly.

It was suggested that Supergirl was a member of the Legion BEFORE Superboy. Is this true?

And if it is.....A theory came to mind.

Maybe the current Waid reboot right now is simply setting up for the OFFICIAL first meeting of present young Kal-El handled by JIM SHOOTER?

That might be cool.

Re: Pre Crisis Continuity.
#77109 12/03/07 02:07 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
hmm

I don't think I've ever heard that before. It's definitely an interesting idea. Now for another one: what if the being B5 caught in that sphere at the end of The Lightning Saga is Superboy? Soon to be resurrected in a multi issue arc in some comic or the other.

Maybe the 50th is going to involve Pocket Universe Superboy, you know, The Greatest Hero of them All. A big crossover huge Crisis event culminating in a battle royal between Superboy and Superboy Prime...for the fate of the Universe!...and it would fit with the wiki entry too.

Heck, that's a story that practically writes itself.

#77110 12/03/07 03:43 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Yes, it's been pretty well established that in pre-Crisis continuity, Supergirl joined before Superboy did. I'm not 100% certain when this was made "official", but it certainly was before the Secrets of the LSH mini-series, in which the order of joining is told as a coherent narrative for possibly the first time.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#77111 12/03/07 10:08 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
In Best of Legion Outpost collections from Legion fandom of the early-mid 70s, there is still disagreement about whether Kal or Kara came first; many fans still seemed to think it was Kal. And these were very detail-oriented fans discussing and debating nuances, not then-newcomers who had picked up thier first issues.

To me, I always assumed the Kara-first approach was strongly ingrained early on, but that collection contradicts the notion; it was 70s, it seems, perhaps not long before the Secrets mini (which coiuld have been the first official in-continuity documentation?).

YK, given the legal feuds, I cannot see Superboy or the POcket Universe reentering continuity any time soon.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#77112 12/03/07 12:10 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Its been pretty much cannon that Supergirl joined before Superboy since probably before I was even born. Numerous places point that out, but Supergirl joined after Lyle (she joined with Brainy), and then Clark was next after them (followed by Jo, then Thom).

#77113 12/03/07 12:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:
While reading the Legion Wiki, I read something I did not know and wanted to confirm I understand it correctly.

It was suggested that Supergirl was a member of the Legion BEFORE Superboy. Is this true?

And if it is.....A theory came to mind.

Maybe the current Waid reboot right now is simply setting up for the OFFICIAL first meeting of present young Kal-El handled by JIM SHOOTER?

That might be cool.
So, yes, pre-Crisis, Supergirl did join first, and joined before Vi, Dirk, Chuck, Tenzil, Jo, Ayle, Jan, Lar, Brin, Nura, Val, Jeckie, etc.

But so did young Kal (well, before most of them).

It's an interesting theory, but between the Johns Legion's Val and Lu having not met Kara before (recent Supergirl issues) and the young Legion we've seen young Kal interect with in Action, and with Thom's references to a crisis of three Legions, I'd be very surprised to see a young Kal involved with both Threeboot and Johns Legions.

#77114 12/03/07 12:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It was established that Supergirl had to join before Superboy due to the fact that Brainiac 5 was shown (in flashbacks back then - I'll have to look up the actual issue number and nowadays in recolored reprints) to be a member at Superboy's induction.

And as all fans know, Supergirl and Brainiac 5 joined at the same time.

#77115 12/03/07 12:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Very true.

In Adv 247, there were lots of unnamed Legionnaires in the background. One of those, in later reprints, was colored to be Querl, thus proving Kara joined first.

A side note: Levitz further mucks with the joining order (although not pertaining to Kal or Kara) in #295, showing that Lyle, Cham iand Gim were members prior to time travel, thus contradicting the Secrets of the LSH mimi.

#77116 12/03/07 12:58 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
And as all fans know, Supergirl and Brainiac 5 joined at the same time.
D'oh!
I knew that.

..and hasn't it been well established by now that Pocket Universe Superboy is a separate entity from the Seigel/Shuster Superman? His life and times have been retroactively "tweaked" so that he can be seen as an alternate version of the boy who would grow up to be the Man of Steel.

#77117 12/03/07 02:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The first recolored version of the Superboy's induction (i.e. ADVENTURE COMICS #247) is in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #6 (1962). I have the issue and will have to check it when I get home to see if the guy is green.

There's also at least one flashback in the Adventure era that definitely shows Brainy was watching Clark give his oath.

#77118 12/03/07 02:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
(responding to YK)
In continuity, perhaps. But as a legal property, it's difficult to see a court agreeing.

Imagine if Coca-Cola's rights to use the name, packaging and formula of Coke were facing a serious challenge from the actual, documentable originator of Coke. Could Coke's claims that Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Coke Zero and all products clearly derivative of Coke would/could be exempt from legalities? All these Coke products use thematically similar names and packaging, and have at least an intended "continuity" in taste with The Real Thing.

In copyright law, as I recall from a seminar some years ago, an important element is called "Confusion in the marketplace," so that if Yellow Kid was the name of your trucking company, and I began a Yellow Kid restaurant, there would likely be n oconfusion, as the two are seperate and clearly different. But if we both wanted to open a Yellow KId truckstop within the same geographical area, that could cause confusion, and the courts would weigh whose claim was better. If my Yellow Kid truckstop was in Atlanta and yours was in Tulsa, there's no problem (until one or both of us start franchising - then we're back to confusion in the marketplace again). Two theoretically seperate properties both called Superboy that look alike (or even very similar) seems like a matter of such confusion, especially if the Seigel case prevails (and if it dies, they might also take the fight to Superman himself, under this and other provisions of law).

#77119 12/03/07 08:16 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I see the point.
I remember Gary Leach and Alan Moore's Marvelman, fabulous stuff. We couldn't get the reprints in the US because of a little name dispute.

Captain Marvel is published by two different companies (or at least it was) but the differences in the characters are huge, no confusion there.

..and those of us who like Superboy in the Legion want Superboy not Clark Kent, not a clone in a t-shirt, not a clone from a thousand years in the future, not a retrofitted Daxamite, not a hoax, not an imaginary story. Nope, we want the big blue boy scout himself so even if I could "make a case" for a different guy in the blue suit I'd really just be trying to loophole my way around the rules to keep from violating the terms of the court case...and clearly having the intent to defraud the copyright owner is probably frowned upon as well.

-sigh-

#77120 12/03/07 10:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ADVENTURE COMICS #323 (August 1964) was the issue that showed Brainiac 5 (along with Triplicate Girl, Chameleon Boy, Invisible Kid, and Colossal Boy) as a member when Superboy was inducted.

Phantom Girl and Shrinking Violet are said to be members before Superboy as well, because there are two other females shown to be members as well as Lu and Imra (and Superboy didn't react as if he saw Supergirl there).

And that's why the membership is listed in the order that it has been listed. The earliest order listing I can think of is in THE AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #9 (November 1975) .

#77121 12/03/07 10:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The first recolored version of the Superboy's induction (i.e. ADVENTURE COMICS #247) is in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #6 (1962). I have the issue and will have to check it when I get home to see if the guy is green.
Checked it out. The guy colored as Brainy is colored as Colossal Boy. Of course, Saturn Girl, Lightning <strike>Boy</strike>Lad (they changed the name for the reprint), and Cosmic Boy are colored as if they are wearing their traditional Adventure era costumes.

I'll scan stuff in when I have a chance.

#77122 12/04/07 12:02 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Just a couple more details on the Supergirl-joined-first issue:

The rationale given for it was that time travel was new and her era was closer to the Legion's than Superboy's. However, we're talking about only 15 years or so, making this a rather thin rationale. Also, it means that the Legion must have known they would eventually induct Superboy, as they approached Kara as the "children" of the original Legionnaires who inducted her cousin.

Some fans, however, have pointed out that Superboy was initially inducted as an honorary member. This may mean that the flashback in Adv. 323 refers to his later induction as a full member, which would satisfy the idea of him joining first AND Brainy being present.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#77123 12/04/07 02:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Good point, HWW.

But while Gary notes that his Adv 247 reprint in Supe annual #6 is colored as Colossal Boy, other reprints (including at least one that I own) show one of the anonymous members colored as Querl.

The only in-continuity confirmation I can think of was the Secrets mini, which as I pointed out is slightly contradicted by #295, in terms of order of membership for Lyle, Cham and Gim pre-time travel (unless they were also honorary members, not confirmed until after the events of Kara's first membership attempt).

But even if it is Gim, not Querl, as part of the #247 background membership, that still suggests Kara came first.

Also, if memory serves, if one does a headcount of all the anonymous Legionnaires in 247, regardless of how they were later colored, then most of the Legionnaires Kara met on both membership trials had to be present in Kal's honorary induction... or else there were lots of former members who left and were purged from all archives and recollections in rather Soviet-style way.

#77124 12/04/07 04:36 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Or else these proceedings were open to the public.

#77125 12/04/07 08:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
perhaps. But as I recall, it is strongly implied that these were all fellow members.

#77126 12/04/07 09:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#77127 12/04/07 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh cool! So I don't have to scan now! laugh

#77128 12/06/07 12:32 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Also, if memory serves, if one does a headcount of all the anonymous Legionnaires in 247, regardless of how they were later colored, then most of the Legionnaires Kara met on both membership trials had to be present in Kal's honorary induction... or else there were lots of former members who left and were purged from all archives and recollections in rather Soviet-style way.
Or were retconned out by Anti-Lad's interference with the timestream... wink

#77129 12/06/07 01:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Actually, it occurred to mec walking home last night: What if the fellow mentioned here, who was never recolorewd to match a later Legionaire, was actually Anti-Lad?

There's one other panel with a mystery Legionnaire: on page 7 panel 4, the person in the lower right corner is caucasian with blue-black hair, but he appears the same way in each reprint. Since none of the members at the time had black hair except for Cosmic Boy (who is in that panel in costume), this must be a rejected applicant.

#77130 12/06/07 01:08 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
YK, given the legal feuds, I cannot see Superboy or the POcket Universe reentering continuity any time soon.
This just caused me to realize why they made Superboy-Prime start to refer to himself as Superman-Prime

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#77131 12/06/07 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Captain Marvel is published by two different companies (or at least it was) but the differences in the characters are huge, no confusion there.
Marvel Comics got to use "Captain Marvel" because Dc had stopped publishing the Original Captain Marvel for quite a while. Marvel then got a copyright on the Title "Captain Marvel". That is why all the DC Captain Marvel comics are titled Shazam (or such)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#77132 12/06/07 01:24 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
[b] Captain Marvel is published by two different companies (or at least it was) but the differences in the characters are huge, no confusion there.
Marvel Comics got to use "Captain Marvel" because Dc had stopped publishing the Original Captain Marvel for quite a while. Marvel then got a copyright on the Title "Captain Marvel". That is why all the DC Captain Marvel comics are titled Shazam (or such)[/b]
Trademark, I think, not copyright. DC can use their Captain Marvel all they want... but they can't use the Captain Marvel trademark in titles and stuff. They have to use the Shazam! trademark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Conjure Lass
Conjure Lass
St. Louis, Missouri
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star