Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let's talk about LSH #14 (spoilers aplenty!)...
#74884 02/01/06 08:49 PM
Active
Active
I liked the issue. however, I would have liked to get more background on Atom Girl. and, the changing art was a bit off putting, but I enjoyed the story.

some questions:

just what were the LSH members going to make for breakfast? and why was everyone grabbing a a fork, cup, plate, etc?

where is the giant part of town?

lots of good subplots hanging all over the place. I am looking forward to year 2.

#74885 02/01/06 09:52 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
What was the deal with the Reflecto guy?

Am I the only one who thinks that whole sequence was a TOTAL slam on all Legion fans who are/were clammoring for Dream Girl to come back. It seemed to be a flagrant attack on readers (personified as Reflecto) who have voiced their preference on keeping Dream Girl around. Not to mention the throwaway of the old Reflecto character who could have had potential.

Geez, it's supposed to be light reading entertainment - nothing personal ...

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#74886 02/01/06 10:12 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
This issue was... interesting. I have to say I find Violet really... uh... weird, I guess is the right word. Very, very weird. I'm still not quite sure what I think.

I do like a lot of the nifty twists thrown in, though, I must admit, I don't like that Lyle's kind of a ratfink. He needs to stop being... dumb. He's too smart for that.

One thing I really want to know now-- since when are there giants on Earth?! That's a backstory I wouldn't mind hearing explained...

#74887 02/01/06 11:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by baycent54:
After reading this issue, I can safely say that this is the FIRST time I ever liked Violet.
She doesn't come across as too-tough, nor as the simpering weakling she seemed to be early on. I especially like her sense of humor.
Haven't read the issue but I agree. First impressions are tough AND sexy. smile

#74888 02/01/06 11:20 PM
Active
Active
Question: When 'Atom Girl' gets her nails done, is that a minicure?

#74889 02/01/06 11:50 PM
A
Active
Active
A
This issue was a treat!

The UP delegate reaction pages were nicely done.

The team shot on the fifth page of the story was quite striking. Plus, I like "So far, so good" better than "We're so sick of it...."

KK, Triplicate Girl, Star Boy, & Lyle explaining the Legion's history with Atom Girl was disarming, as was Lyle's explanation to Atom Girl about his allegations. It added a dimension to his character for me.

The banter at Micro Lad's was fun. Plus we get an acknowledged gay character introduced in bed (because that's the super-power that counts).

The whole "alliance" and branching off of Earthgov was a necessary development, in my opinion. It will undoubtedly have some interesting ramifications.

Reflecto's appearance was quite a surprise & lent a voice to the disappointment at Dreamy's "death"--not a mocking voice, either, in my opinion. Though he could have standed being a bit more visually interesting.

Letter pages were fun. Garth was well-portrayed. Cos was nowhere to be seen. Yes, the issue was quite a treat for me. Anything dealing more specifically with Violet and leaving out the rest of the Legionnaires' reaction to recent events would have been disappointing.

#74890 02/02/06 04:35 AM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
"Geez, it's supposed to be light reading entertainment - nothing personal .."

I don't know if this was in refrence to my post (and I apologize if it wasn't), but you know that this discusssion is going to "break out" at some point, so I just though I would give other readers something to think about before conclusions are drawn on a character we only saw in two panels. To be honest, I couldn't care less one way or the other about Colossal Boy's brother, but either way he will make an interesting character. These discussions are what make the Legion and its fans so unique.

Long Live the Legion!!!
#74891 02/02/06 04:50 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Myg: I think that comment by Kid Quislet refers to the Reflecto character and the feeling by some on this thread that Reflecto is being used to slam the frustrated Legion fans by Waid. Don't think it refered to your comments at all.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#74892 02/02/06 06:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
-- Am I the only one a tad disappointed that the first openly gay character in this book is someone's brother rather than a Legionnaire?
-- So it looks like we have the "butch Vi"
It portends Micro Lad grieving over his dead gay brother around issue 30.

Perhaps the brother will become Super-colossal Lad (no gay man would call himself Micro Lad) and join Sun Boy.

#74893 02/02/06 07:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MYG:
I just though I would give other readers something to think about before conclusions are drawn on a character we only saw in two panels.
I don't see how it's drawing conclusions that he's gay when they say he's gay and there's no reason not to take that at face value or imagine that Phantom Lass might be lying for some reason. For that matter, there's no reason to assume he's really Gim's brother. I guess I just don't see your point since it didn't seem to me like something that was presented with any ambiguity.

On a different note, I was put off by the non-SnoCone coloring. Aside from parts of it being too dark (I'm sure it's a case of them not realizing how it would look printed), I was bugged by the use of those highlights everywhere that made everything look like it was made of plastic.

And I really don't think Reflecto was any kind of slam against Dream Girl fans.

#74894 02/02/06 07:22 AM
Leader
Leader
More thoughts:

How many gay giants are there on Earth? Talk about a limited playing field.

How could Light Lass have possibly thought that she'd had sex with a giant?

Why WERE they getting giant utensils out for breakfast? It's not like they could use them.

Why the heck did Vi punch out Gay Boy? And how the heck could she possibly knock out a giant anyway? Even a gay sissy boy giant?

I don't dig the new Vi's personality so far. The whole "I like it when people spread rumors about me. It gives me presence" schtick makes NO sense. If she's so concerned about being present, where the heck has she been for the last year?

Upon rereading, I really liked Lashley's art. I thought having a full page ad facing the splash page was really jarring and awkward though.

If all of Imsk is in the snow globe, how did Vi know Brainy was talking specifically to her?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#74895 02/02/06 07:26 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
So was that our own Fat Cramer's letter (or excerpt) in the letters page????

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#74896 02/02/06 07:28 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Calling that person the devil would make her daughter some sort of succubus right Tromium?
Tell the truth I kinda like the idea of LL and Saturn Mom as a couple. evil

#74897 02/02/06 07:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mekt Ranzz:
i was not in this issue but a friend of mine (and yours) made a guest appearance, did you catch it?
Who?

#74898 02/02/06 07:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
[b] Calling that person the devil would make her daughter some sort of succubus right Tromium?
Tell the truth I kinda like the idea of LL and Saturn Mom as a couple. evil [/b]
Now that would cause some controversy wouldn't it? People'd be demanding the fourboot toute suite.

If all of Imsk is in the snow globe, how did Vi know Brainy was talking specifically to her?[/QB]
In their conversation I think they referred to Imsk in the snowglobe in the past tense. I think they've been relocated by whatever mission Brainy became a god in and Vi was doing some mission in the old stomping grounds.

#74899 02/02/06 08:36 AM
Active
Active
-- Am I the only one a tad disappointed that the first openly gay character in this book is someone's brother rather than a Legionnaire?
At least it leaves the possibility of Gim's nameless bro to get involved romantically with a male legionnaire. That would be a storyline never before seen in LSH history. Sure...I would have preferred a gay legionnaire but I am glad the whole gay thing was dealt with so casually. In never made sense that in a future filled with a blase attitude towards aliens...gay people were seemingly non-existent. Gim was the first legionnaire to marry out of species so it looks like the Allons are a very progressive bunch.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#74900 02/02/06 09:13 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
At least it leaves the possibility of Gim's nameless bro to get involved romantically with a male legionnaire.
Only if Gim's brother also has the power to shrink and I hope that's not the case. If all of this "giant race" can shrink, then what's the difference between them and a normal sized race who can grow?

Maybe Gim's gay "brother" is really his boyfriend and he's just not out to the Legion! Just kidding. In the 30th century I'd hope that everyone was out by puberty.

Hi, Carggy!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#74901 02/02/06 09:15 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
-- I still don't understand why Brainy thinks Lemnos can do anything to revive Nura.
Duh, he'll just make her forget to be dead.

#74902 02/02/06 07:00 PM
N
Applicant
Applicant
N
Nice issue, but not the best, a little confusing with the Lyle blame but at least people aren't being a dick to him anymore. Violet's alright too. Her own kind of cool that we're not sure about, and that's what cool about it, she's like an ugly painting we enjoy looking at. Loved the letters pahe, but didn't care for the main story's fill-in artist.

#74903 02/02/06 09:15 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
[/qb][/QUOTE]I don't see how it's drawing conclusions that he's gay when they say he's gay and there's no reason not to take that at face value or imagine that Phantom Lass might be lying for some reason.

Now i get to say..."Geez, it's supposed to be light reading entertainment - nothing personal .." Drake, my comment wasn't an attack on making assumptions or not taking things at face value. I'm only being open minded (creative if you will) for possible directions that particular character could take. He could be gay or he could be "labeled" gay for whatever reason. He didn't say "I'm gay" (at least not on panel), someone else did. Now, I agree that he probably is (otherwise why would that even be addressed), but the creative possibilities exist until it's confirmed. I like to "dig" into the possibilities of new characters until the writers give me a "blue print". let me have my light-hearted fun

Long Live the Legion!!!
#74904 02/02/06 09:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MYG:
I don't see how it's drawing conclusions that he's gay when they say he's gay and there's no reason not to take that at face value or imagine that Phantom Lass might be lying for some reason.

Now i get to say..."Geez, it's supposed to be light reading entertainment - nothing personal .." Drake, my comment wasn't an attack on making assumptions or not taking things at face value. I'm only being open minded (creative if you will) for possible directions that particular character could take. He could be gay or he could be "labeled" gay for whatever reason. He didn't say "I'm gay" (at least not on panel), someone else did. Now, I agree that he probably is (otherwise why would that even be addressed), but the creative possibilities exist until it's confirmed. I like to "dig" into the possibilities of new characters until the writers give me a "blue print". let me have my light-hearted fun [/QB][/QUOTE]

Isn't that how rumours get started - by somebody who drops a bombshell just for the sheer heck of it? frown

#74905 02/02/06 09:20 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
[/qb][/QUOTE]I don't see how it's drawing conclusions that he's gay when they say he's gay and there's no reason not to take that at face value or imagine that Phantom Lass might be lying for some reason. For that matter, there's no reason to assume he's really Gim's brother. I guess I just don't see your point since it didn't seem to me like something that was presented with any ambiguity.

Now I get to say..."Geez, it's supposed to be light reading entertainment - nothing personal .."

Drake, my comment wasn't an attack on making assumptions or not taking things at face value. I'm only being open minded (creative if you will) for possible directions that particular character could take. He could be gay or he could be "labeled" gay for whatever reason. He didn't say "I'm gay" (at least not on panel), someone else did. Now, I agree that he probably is (otherwise why would that even be addressed), but the creative possibilities exist until it's confirmed. I like to "dig" into the possibilities of new characters until the writers give me a "blue print". Please let me have my light-hearted fun...thanks!

Long Live the Legion!!!
#74906 02/02/06 09:23 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
Unfortunately it happens all of the time legionadventureman!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
#74907 02/02/06 09:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Bummer, dude

#74908 02/03/06 12:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Bought it today!

First off the art IMO was very good. You want a back up artist like this! He was my fave backup artist thus far and now he is by far! And I liked the other guy that did the 5/6 pages. Infact his art was very cool...very computer rendered or something. Lashing(sp) did awesome!

Story? Well you know me. good and bad. Much better than last issue. There was nothing I "hated" though except for the underager junk and even then....FINALLY we are part of EarthGov!!! wink Can't wait for a COOL SP liason!!!

Liked the new look for Reflecto! I honestly imagined him looking like his old self. Very glad he DOESN'T!!!

The giant brother and dog? blah. too silly for me. And the brother is gay? Ok. But i want a gay legionnaire like many have said. Like I said before...the legion teen fans outside the hq, the villains, and now a possible sppt cast member all have great vareity. Lets have vareity IN the Legion as well.

But this scene did give me big smile. My three favorite Legion women and two of my fave men! Jo, Tinya, Cham, Ayla, and Violet!!! These are my favorite legionnaires!!! nice to see them together!

Speaking of Vi? YES. That's exactly the character I hoped for! I love her! I hated ZH Vi. smile This is much more my cup of tea. Glad to see she appears a bit more exotic. Imskians seem more exotic and she appears possibly asian. I love this VI.

This issue had a TON of stuff and it was only 22 pages right? good job. Mr. Waid is an excellent writer. I rag on him but he is a writer. I just disagree with what he thinks is cool. smile

Some suggestions? The colors. I wish they were brighter but honestly don't think Barry's pencils or style would fit that. Wish he (lashing) had more detailed backgrounds but I know we will need a background artist just for that task. Wouldn't mind seeing Waid mess around with less word bubbles and more gadget text...if that makes any sense.

In other words i would've loved to see the vote the "old fashioned" way with each holo-grid with each members insignia and their vote. wink

Pretty good issue. Hey they are still a movement(ugh) but now they're sanctioned!!! wink

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
King of Snake
King of Snake
Greetings from the Underworld ...
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star