Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 66 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 65 66
Re: Official LSH 3 Worlds Thread #5 out (FINALLY!! - spoilers)
#69085 05/08/09 09:52 AM
Leader
Leader
No, Duo Damsel has not appeared in this story except as a statue in issue #1 and in a tiny flashback in issue #4.

How did Sun Boy know to go to the Fortress of Solitude? I guess he could've eavesdropped on his fight ring that Brainy's team was headed that way, but he couldn't have known that Prime was headed there could he? Seems like he would've been more likely to join the battle in Metropolis.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#69086 05/08/09 05:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by cleome:
Also, I can't really agree that anyone should be compelled to buy a book they don't enjoy, in hopes of keeping the "franchise" going. DC can pretend that the health of this "franchise" or any other has to do with a hard core of fans who are also, if I'm understanding you, hidebound about what they want to read. But I think that's nonsense. If they marketed competently to a large, diverse audience, the actual content of the stories would matter less: casual readers would be able to try out something they're unfamiliar with, and they could, just maybe, purchase it on a casual basis. Without feeling like they're committing to buying ten books a month when there's really only one they're sort of occasionally entertained by.
I agree completely. Why should I buy something that I'm not enjoying, just so they'll keep publishing it and I can keep not enjoying reading it? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

#69087 05/08/09 11:26 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Superboy:
I am the biggest fan of Superboy and the Legion that there ever was most likely...but I have zero desire to see any sort of regular ongoing title with Super[b]man and the Legion. It's just not the same. It's Superboy that was the important character and since the ages of the Legionnaires in this incarnation pretty much make them equivalent to a young Superman, not Superboy, I don't really think that's going to be a necessity...the ties and underlying foundation of the Legion have been restored, and that history is there to be references or perhaps lead to an occassional appearance and that was the important thing as far as Superman and his function as sort of an anchor character was concerned. It's just not the same with Superman...it never was, and I don't think it's something DC should try to force.

It's their future world and villains that need to be replenished now....

I just hope Johns stays on the title. [/b]
I'd probably give you a run for your money back in the 70's and 80's. I loved "Superboy Starring the Legion of Super-Heroes," Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes," "Adventure Comics," you name it. We have a local paper called "IWANNA." Basically, if you want it, look in there. I used to beg my dad to take me places I read "Comics for sale." I would go to yard sales, garage sales, convenience stores, anywhere, and blow my allowance for an Adventure Comics from the 60's, with or without the cover, just to have Legion to read. Superboy, as I have stated many times, was my HERO. It seems to some on this board, that's almost blasphemy, but if It had not been for Superboy, I'd have never seen the Legion. Loved them. So, I feel ya, bro.

That being said, I think it will be very interesting to see what Legion remains when the smoke clears. It is looking more and more like the older guys, which we have speculated, are likely in their late 20's to 30's. For many years, Superman was said to be 29 years old, IIRC. Now, he's obviously a few years older. It would not make sense for Superman to be hanging out with teenagers, but it WOULD make sense for him to hang out with the Retroboot/Johnsboot Legion. BUT, as we have all seen,
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Conner Kent is back.</span></span>

Johns may be trying to use him to start a new generation of the Legion. I've said it before, I hated this
[Linked Image]
early version of Superboy. "HOW DARE they try to replace the REAL Clark Kent (SuperBOY)with this ...mockery?" I read a few comics in his solo title, but quickly lost interest. I didn't even realize Kon-el was the same person.
I can't say I agree with the "Buy them all" notion of any book containing any Legion character. I also can't say I can help myself and NOT do it. OK, I'm babbling.
To summarize:
Superman and the Retroboot Legion? Doable, but not well received, I agree.

Legion most likely to survive? The old guys, the retroboot.

Would I like to see Johns write it? Heck yeah, if he could do what he's done with JSA and GL.

Will I read it? Of course. It's The Legion.

Sometimes it helps to have lower standards.

Long Live all them Legions!
#69088 05/09/09 09:59 AM
Active
Active
From my perspective, it is more likely that Superboy will join the New Titans with Kid Flash by Johns than join the LSH. There is no other explanation from the fact that Sean McKeever was expelled from that book and there will be an array of fill-in issues before something permanent comes up. In fact, this is where I think Gary Frank will go too.

#69089 05/09/09 12:11 PM
Leader
Leader
If that were the case, why have Superboy share a book with the Legion? I think he's definitely Legion bound.

#69090 05/09/09 01:14 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I do too.
As long as DC doesn't cut out time travel then it's pretty easy to have Superboy be a part of both the Titans AND the Legion. As long as Brainy's time sphere/bubble/cube/wayback machine functions correctly (hah!) then practically no time at all passes while SB is away in the future.

Look at all those older stories, lots of times Kal made a token appearance or got used in a way that pretty much kept him out of the main action or sometimes times didn't appear at all even though his name always leads in the title. I'm okay with having Superboy cross over. It's a DC property after all and (God knows) they seem to think they absolutely have to have a super or a bat in every book - though I really think that's a WB marketing phobia.

#69091 05/09/09 02:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm pretty bad at guessing plotlines, and mostly I don't try, partly because I enjoy the telling of the story... but as much as I love The Legion, I'm not caring all that much where this story goes, and I don't know where it *is* going. What actually happened in this issue that could have been compressed into a previous or next issue? Choosing that crystal was a bit drawn out, but added to the tension I suppose, and considering that they can travel in time, and it seems that Preboot Brainy has been orchestrating this whole thing, the retreval of the hair could have happened at any moment at all.
The reveal of the Trapper and return of Superboy, well, it was okay, but could have served better as a 'who are they?' cliffhanger and then shown at the start of the next issue.

It all seems a bit dull. DC is working hard on this book (possibly), but are they working smart? Having an enormous free-for-all fight is not the most exciting thing about superhero comics, and not really what the Legion does best.
If this is *another* reboot/reshuffle/whatever, couldn't they have found a better way to do it? (and part of me is wondering what it has to do with Infinite Bore... er, 'Crisis')

What am I trying to say...? What purpose is this story serving? To kill off some characters? Why? What's the point? To firmly establish the 'real' Legion? All they have to do to establish that is have someone, anyone say, "Oh, you're the Legion of New Earth's future", and job done. We know that there are now 52 Legions out there, take your pick; it's just a matter of assigning numbers to teams.
I'm partly saying this because I saw Star Trek last night and thought that was a stunning way to reboot a franchise. It just shows it can be done and done well. With that standard set, all other reboots or retcons have to be as good. All you have to do is change one thing.

#69092 05/09/09 06:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Read it today. A great issue of SUPERMAN/FLASH/GREEN LANTERN FAMILY guest-starring THE LEGION OF 3 WORLDS.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#69093 05/10/09 08:36 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
[b] I am the biggest fan of Superboy and the Legion that there ever was most likely...but I have zero desire to see any sort of regular ongoing title with Super[b]man and the Legion. It's just not the same. It's Superboy that was the important character and since the ages of the Legionnaires in this incarnation pretty much make them equivalent to a young Superman, not Superboy, I don't really think that's going to be a necessity...the ties and underlying foundation of the Legion have been restored, and that history is there to be references or perhaps lead to an occassional appearance and that was the important thing as far as Superman and his function as sort of an anchor character was concerned. It's just not the same with Superman...it never was, and I don't think it's something DC should try to force.

It's their future world and villains that need to be replenished now....

I just hope Johns stays on the title. [/b]
I'd probably give you a run for your money back in the 70's and 80's. I loved "Superboy Starring the Legion of Super-Heroes," Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes," "Adventure Comics," you name it. We have a local paper called "IWANNA." Basically, if you want it, look in there. I used to beg my dad to take me places I read "Comics for sale." I would go to yard sales, garage sales, convenience stores, anywhere, and blow my allowance for an Adventure Comics from the 60's, with or without the cover, just to have Legion to read. Superboy, as I have stated many times, was my HERO. It seems to some on this board, that's almost blasphemy, but if It had not been for Superboy, I'd have never seen the Legion. Loved them. So, I feel ya, bro.

That being said, I think it will be very interesting to see what Legion remains when the smoke clears. It is looking more and more like the older guys, which we have speculated, are likely in their late 20's to 30's. For many years, Superman was said to be 29 years old, IIRC. Now, he's obviously a few years older. It would not make sense for Superman to be hanging out with teenagers, but it WOULD make sense for him to hang out with the Retroboot/Johnsboot Legion. BUT, as we have all seen,
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Conner Kent is back.</span></span>

Johns may be trying to use him to start a new generation of the Legion. I've said it before, I hated this
[Linked Image]
early version of Superboy. "HOW DARE they try to replace the REAL Clark Kent (SuperBOY)with this ...mockery?" I read a few comics in his solo title, but quickly lost interest. I didn't even realize Kon-el was the same person.
I can't say I agree with the "Buy them all" notion of any book containing any Legion character. I also can't say I can help myself and NOT do it. OK, I'm babbling.
To summarize:
Superman and the Retroboot Legion? Doable, but not well received, I agree.

Legion most likely to survive? The old guys, the retroboot.

Would I like to see Johns write it? Heck yeah, if he could do what he's done with JSA and GL.

Will I read it? Of course. It's The Legion.

Sometimes it helps to have lower standards. [/b]
I'm all for Superboy(the real one) and the Legion even if it's in some kind of retro history...I just don't see that being the primary book DC would do featuring the Legion...

Plus let's face it...any sort of revisionism to the original Superboy and Legion continuity probably isn't going to be as memorable as those original stories were...no matter who the writer is.

And, DC is still skirting around the Clark as a teen issue so I assume they are still at an impasse with the Siegel family. Although they obviously can refer to Conner as Superboy now though.

#69094 05/10/09 08:38 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
If that were the case, why have Superboy share a book with the Legion? I think he's definitely Legion bound.
I don't think it's that cut and dried...

Superboy(Conner) has been in the Legion before, in the classic blue and red Superman costume no less...and it was just about the worst selling version of the Legion ever IIRC.

I have no doubt DC wants to elevate Conner...but I don't see them having a whole lot of faith in Conner as a Superman replacement since they've already tried that..

#69095 05/10/09 08:40 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ricardo:
From my perspective, it is more likely that Superboy will join the New Titans with Kid Flash by Johns than join the LSH. There is no other explanation from the fact that Sean McKeever was expelled from that book and there will be an array of fill-in issues before something permanent comes up. In fact, this is where I think Gary Frank will go too.
I don't see Johns wanting to return to the Titans just yet..but you could be right

If Johns is doing it it's probably under duress since I just can't see him being real pumped up about doing more Titans stories.

And after seeing Gary Frank's version of the Legion I would hope they'd want to see him on a Legion book...then again, he might not want that Legion workload...most artists don't.

JMS was saying he wanted to do some Legion stories so maybe he might be the guy that does any future Legion work.

#69096 05/10/09 08:43 AM
Active
Active
One thing I am certain of...the Legion, even at it's lowest levels of fan support is still more popular than Conner on his best day...he is not a book savior or any sort of a gateway character for the title...

Furthermore, the Legion fans are still ten times more vocal and will no doubt have Conner regelated to the backup in Adventure with the Legion assuming the lead, in short order.

#69097 05/10/09 07:59 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M

Superboy(Conner) has been in the Legion before, in the classic blue and red Superman costume no less...and it was just about the worst selling version of the Legion ever IIRC.
Actually I think DnA's sales were a step up from what came before.

#69098 05/11/09 06:46 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by insanelad:
I'm pretty bad at guessing plotlines, and mostly I don't try, partly because I enjoy the telling of the story... but as much as I love The Legion, I'm not caring all that much where this story goes, and I don't know where it *is* going. What actually happened in this issue that could have been compressed into a previous or next issue? Choosing that crystal was a bit drawn out, but added to the tension I suppose, and considering that they can travel in time, and it seems that Preboot Brainy has been orchestrating this whole thing, the retreval of the hair could have happened at any moment at all.
The reveal of the Trapper and return of Superboy, well, it was okay, but could have served better as a 'who are they?' cliffhanger and then shown at the start of the next issue.

It all seems a bit dull. DC is working hard on this book (possibly), but are they working smart? Having an enormous free-for-all fight is not the most exciting thing about superhero comics, and not really what the Legion does best.
If this is *another* reboot/reshuffle/whatever, couldn't they have found a better way to do it? (and part of me is wondering what it has to do with Infinite Bore... er, 'Crisis')

What am I trying to say...? What purpose is this story serving? To kill off some characters? Why? What's the point? To firmly establish the 'real' Legion? All they have to do to establish that is have someone, anyone say, "Oh, you're the Legion of New Earth's future", and job done. We know that there are now 52 Legions out there, take your pick; it's just a matter of assigning numbers to teams.
I'm partly saying this because I saw Star Trek last night and thought that was a stunning way to reboot a franchise. It just shows it can be done and done well. With that standard set, all other reboots or retcons have to be as good. All you have to do is change one thing.
I haven't seen Star Trek yet but I do agree with everything that you said. These Green Lanterns and Flashes and Superboys mean nothing to me, I haven't read their books and this xover hasn't given me the urge to read their books. The sooner they're gone the better. I DO hope though that if there are going to be more resurrections, that Brainy brings back Kara. Now, that would make this mini epic.

So what.
#69099 05/11/09 11:08 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I haven't seen Star Trek yet but I do agree with everything that you said. These Green Lanterns and Flashes and Superboys mean nothing to me, I haven't read their books and this xover hasn't given me the urge to read their books. The sooner they're gone the better. I DO hope though that if there are going to be more resurrections, that Brainy brings back Kara. Now, that would make this mini epic. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now there's a word that deserves mention: epic. THAT'S what this is missing - a sense of grandeur and scale, and that doesn't mean having a cast of thousands. It means that something significant is happening. Did even Infinite Crisis have that? (no, in my opinion, it was confusing and what actually changed as a result? Everyone in the DCU thinks Batman is dead, while everyone out here knows he's not and will be back in a year or so)

Killing off characters from parallel universes is a pretty easy thing to do, especially if that universe is unlikely to be seen again.

I can ALMOST see a glimmer of hope for SBoy Prime as a villain, but it's a damn small glimmer, and he needs to be played a completely different way than stroppy teenager with powers having an almighty tantrum.

[I guess the question would be: If you could change ONE thing in the Legionverse to reboot it again, what would it be?]

#69100 05/12/09 03:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Much as I'm enjoying this series, it strikes me as more of a transition or bridge. I'm just waiting for the resolution so we can move on to the "real" Legion stories, whatever they may be.

Conner is okay; I never warmed up to him, but he's certainly not a deal breaker.

The guys who do the Legion of Substitute Podcasters were speculating that the Time Trapper reveal at the end might be a fake, and that the actual Time Trapper could turn out to be somebody else.

If Mordru inhaled or incorporated the essence of Kinetix, there's certainly have the basis for some future story in which she gains some influence over him, or even manages to escape into some other form.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#69101 05/12/09 10:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Mordrix? Kinedru?

#69102 05/12/09 10:32 PM
Active
Active
Well, now that Johns has revealed that Adventure Comics is a Superboy + Solo Legion stories, it is pretty clear that Legion is not meeting Conner and that Johns will not be the Legion writer in the future, but some TV guy he will bring in (or Robinson - which might be a much better deal).
Again, now more than ever, my bets are on Johns going to Titans in 2010, with Conner and Kid Flash. He always said he wouldn't have left Titans if he didn't have to axe Conner.
As for the L3W, it will serve to say Threeboot is Earth-Prime, Johnsboot is Earth-One and reboot is some other Earth nobody cares. Hopefully, TMK can be Earth-Charlton.

#69103 05/12/09 11:02 PM
Substitute
Substitute
... if Connor is back, and has been 'cooking' for a thousand years, does that mean he can't be a Black Lantern in Blackest Night? Did I hear that he was down to be one?

#69104 05/13/09 06:51 PM
Active
Active
Didn't DC Nation today say that Geoff is the writer of the Superboy stories AND the Legion stories?

It was never confirmed that Conner was a Black Lantern.

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#69105 05/13/09 07:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul are the team on Superboy & Mike Shoemaker and Clayton Henry will be the team on the Legion of Super-Heroes in ADVENTURE COMICS STARRING SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.

#69106 05/13/09 07:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I already mentioned this, but, technically, Conner was revived in the 31st Century, meaning his body is still in the 21st. And they never specified if it was Prime that was responsible for the damage done to his body, or something else.

#69107 05/13/09 08:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I already mentioned this, but, technically, Conner was revived in the 31st Century, meaning his body is still in the 21st.
Wasn't his body stuck in that rejuvenator thingy?

#69108 05/14/09 01:27 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul are the team on Superboy & Mike Shoemaker and Clayton Henry will be the team on the Legion of Super-Heroes in ADVENTURE COMICS STARRING SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.
Hmmph. It should be "featuring" not "starring" for old time's sake. It's all in the details. Wonder if they'll revive the old script masthead. I doubt it.

#69109 05/14/09 04:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm sorry if I missed a comment(s) on this subject somewhere here, but I'm kind of interested in Umbra and Shikari following the 'dark demons' back to their place of origin.

Does that mean that the 2 of them will just disappear?
Or will we see them die?
Will the end of the trail, and what they find, have some significance to this story?
To any story?

Am I the only one who cares?
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 49 of 66 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star