Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/21/24 01:16 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/21/24 12:30 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/21/24 03:37 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 06/20/24 10:14 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/20/24 07:00 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/20/24 05:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/20/24 05:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Adventure Comics #516 - SPOILERS
#628121 07/26/10 04:38 PM
Active
Active
i like this book in a friendly, comfortable way but certainly don't regard it as a must read. i WOULD love it if they had an artist that could capture a silver age feel while still being contemporary. Jesus Saiz from Brave and Bold would be awesome!

Brande's new-speak is still hard to read sometimes, though i like Paul's inspiration for it. also really enjoyed his take on the often broken rules regarding Durlan abilities to mimic form/function. i hope he reverts Yera back to Durlan-lite. "All Durlans are not the same!"

anyone else think it weird that the current "in their 30's" Legion brought SuperBOY to the will reading rather than their peer SuperMAN?

would love to see some retro-villain action in this book...
Urthlo anyone? LSV? even Fatal 5?

Gorilla Nebula
#628122 07/26/10 06:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I liked it.

I like the smaller-scale character driven feel to the story and think it's incredibly welcome in light of the never-ending streams of larger than life stories we've had as Legion fans for what feels like an eternity.

I admit it took me a few pages to get into Brande's speech pattern but by the end of the issue, like Rhino, I found it a bit charming. Changing a speech pattern for a character is something that's been done in comics probably more than changing character's costumes.

I'm willing to cut Paul a lot of slack on continuity bits. I think because the continuity has had such drastic changes in last years, we (the fans) have become far too extreme in our firm grip on what can be slightly changed. Nothing Paul has done so far seems that big a change to the past when you consider Legion stories from the 60's - 80's doing the same thing. (Prior to Paul, sure).

Didn't exactly love the artwork however. Hoping for an improvement.

Looking forward to the Atom story, which I haven't read yet.

#628123 07/27/10 11:18 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
There was something about this issue that felt like a letdown, but I can't really put my finger on it.

Maybe I just need to re-read it when I'm less tired out.

shrug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#628124 07/27/10 11:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^I think it coulda used some fart jokes! wink

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#628125 07/27/10 11:23 PM
[smacks CT in the head with a case of Beanoâ„¢]

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#628126 07/27/10 11:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^er...I guess she'd prefer it had phallic jokes? shrug

wink

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#628127 07/27/10 11:31 PM
faint

#628128 07/28/10 08:48 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I just caught up with Levitz's first two Adventures issues. I must say, it's worse than I predicted. The next story will probably make or break it for me. Levitz said something about messing up young Saturn Girl, and I will hold him to it.

#628129 07/28/10 11:34 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
I just caught up with Levitz's first two Adventures issues. I must say, it's worse than I predicted. The next story will probably make or break it for me. Levitz said something about messing up young Saturn Girl, and I will hold him to it.
As I mentioned with the case of Legion #3, I'm with you on this. Retcon for retcon, this is the dumbest retcon so far, not only for "Earth as bigotland' really simple-minded and bland, but to see Levitz digging further into this mess is baffling. Moreover, most of these retcons are either irrelevant or simply confusing.
Most of the problem, however, rests on the story itself: lifeless, boring and with some of the worst artwork out of DC's eccentric team of fill-in artists. Why couldn't they hire a decent artist confuses me. This is not the way to attract new readers. It reads more like an exercise in nostalgia and Johns' mentally-challenged dialoguing (hum, maybe this attracts new readers). Moreover, what's the structure of what's being presented? Is it a 'Secret Origin'? Is it a "Tales from the past Legion"? It just seems confusing and out of focus the way it is being done.

#628130 07/29/10 07:41 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Tromium:
Knowing full well Tromium's feeling for Imra, I'm curious if Paul will go too far or not far enough! smile

#628131 07/31/10 08:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
OK I just read this issue -

Without a doubt one of the worst Legion comics I've ever read. And I'm not just saying that for attention.

This book failed on every level as far as I'm concerned.

Art? No offence to Kevin Sharpe but this 'artwork' was terrible. How he's on this book when there are sooooooo many good, proven ex-DC artists out there who could be doing so much of a better job instead is beyond me.

Story? Was there one? Levitz repeats the Legion's origin story for the umpteen millionth time (can't let any of those mythical new readers not know the exciting story of how this team came to be!) and somehow makes it the most boring version ever.

Continuity? Others in this thread have already said more than enough on this subject.

But the real crime here was the uncreativity of this story. First of all, Levitz gathers the 6 most boring, overused Legionnaires he can to co-star in this <strike>story</strike> public address and then just has RJ Brande lecture them/us about his boring origin for 32 pages.

THAT was the most creative way Paul Levitz, a comics professional of however many decades, could think of to tell us the (actually very intriguing) concept of RJ Brande's Last Will and Testament? I know Levitz has been out of the writing game for a while but he's going to have to polish his skills fast if he wants to keep getting my (and, I expect, a lot of other readers') money.

Something else else else he needs to work on - Brainiac 5. Paul Levitz is writing the single worst version of Brainiac 5 I've ever read - and I've disliked a lot of them. Between his nonchalantly walking through the destruction of Titan while people were being crushed to death around him (despite the fact he could have easily saved them with his force-field) in issue #1 of LSH and his flat-out rude and insensitive (and as far as I'm concerned, out of character) belittling of the importance of hearing Brande's Will in front of his mourning son here - Levitz is writing a character that I cannot wait to see off my pages fast enough. And then Paul has that gag-inducing page at the end where Brainy gets all the scientific research money of his dreams and he feels all happy and accepted and Cosmic Boy tells him that "everyone likes him" and we should all just roll over because this is now the Brainiac 5 franchise and.... puke

And then next issue we have the Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad 'triangle' to look forward to!? Was there ever one? I thought that was a Reboot thing? And not a particularly original or interesting story point there either.

---

Thank goodness Levitz's LSH is much better or I would be having to drop the Legion again completely for the third time in as many 'boots. Pleeeeeeaase make this book better Paul.

#628132 07/31/10 10:39 AM
I, too, would've liked a more complex story, but the emphasis here seems to be on just keeping everything simple and self-contained so it has more of an old-timey feel.

The details of the origin itself don't bother me. I just would have hoped for something a little more emotional and less dry.

There were too many moments, too, where the art just didn't match up with what the writing was trying to convey. I did like the scenes where Brande is trying to "feel out" what forms he can extract powers from, though.

#628133 08/02/10 04:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blacula:
And then next issue we have the Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad 'triangle' to look forward to!? Was there ever one? I thought that was a Reboot thing? And not a particularly original or interesting story point there either.

---

I would hope that Paul isn't drawing from Reboot Legion's stories as the motivation for next issue's triangle theme!
Maybe it's going to be just a one-off issue to explain a brief crush Rokk might have had on Imra, early on, from the time he first saw her on the ship that brought the three of them together (and saved Brande's life).

Hopefully it will be just a one issue story and then be put to rest.

#628134 08/02/10 08:41 AM
Honorary
Honorary
I was less than wowed by this issue, but I'm hoping that now that the origin stuff is (hopefully) out of the way, something will actually happen. I like the LOSH so far, and I think Levitz will start picking up steam in this title, too.

#628135 08/02/10 11:30 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It's a Three's Company-style whacky misunderstanding. Garth think's that Rokk is hitting on Imra, obviously, but he's totally off-base.

It all started with Imra asking Rokk for advice as to what sort of present Garth might like, since she's not used to physical tokens of endearment, and digressed into a conversation about Rokk's crush on Garth...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#628136 08/03/10 10:52 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Most of the problem, however, rests on the story itself: lifeless, boring and with some of the worst artwork out of DC's eccentric team of fill-in artists. Why couldn't they hire a decent artist confuses me. This is not the way to attract new readers. It reads more like an exercise in nostalgia and Johns' mentally-challenged dialoguing (hum, maybe this attracts new readers). Moreover, what's the structure of what's being presented? Is it a 'Secret Origin'? Is it a "Tales from the past Legion"? It just seems confusing and out of focus the way it is being done. [/QB]
Agreed. It feels as though DC said "hey Paul we haven't thought what to do with Adventure fancy knocking up a few fill in stories?"

If DC really want to explore the Legion's past in a way that will bring in new readers then how about a propoer Legion year one with a defined start and a finish. But it would need to be more than the Superboy fluff so far, possibly exploring the relationships of the Legionnaires, their motives and the UP motive in allowing a bunch of kids freedom to be costumed vigilantes. All concepts that Paul Levitz is suited to doing well. A good long-term art team is needed as well.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#628137 08/07/10 03:51 AM
Active
Active
Rather boring issue in my eyes as well. Artwork satisfactory at best, and since when is Brande speaking with an alien accent? Very poor performance.

Thing that bothered me most was the fact that I had to pay an additional buck for a backup story that I do not have the slightest interest in. The Atom, well, nice that he is back in continuity, tried to read the backup but stopped after two pages, just not my cup of tea.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,328
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000