Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 64 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion #1 (September) previews
#617212 09/06/11 05:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Candlelight:

And I thought that Paul changed her speech pattern from 'valley girl' to something more current, something like what a lot of the kids speak in nowadays. Or a futuristic version, anyway.
Yes!

Speaking as someone who frequently makes use of current words/slangs and even outdated ones if they amuse me-- I think it's totally tits and completely awesomesaucey that there is a character in the LSH that also seems to do this!

it's kinda j'adorable!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#617213 09/06/11 05:41 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The moment CQ uses "j'adorable", I'll love her forever!

#617214 09/07/11 03:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#617215 09/09/11 01:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
new previews- not bad artwork!!! nice...but can see what's up with Cham Girl and its not looking good.

and where did Gates go?!?

http://sciencefiction.com/2011/09/09/exclusive-dc-comics-new-52-preview-legion-lost-1/

#617216 09/09/11 02:01 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
re: Legion Lost preview...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Poor Dawnstar. Always the Legionnaire "Most Likely To Heave." Dawnstar </span></span>

#617217 09/09/11 02:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Future:
re: Legion Lost preview...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Poor Dawnstar. Always the Legionnaire "Most Likely To Heave." Dawnstar </span></span>
Flederweb

#617218 09/14/11 05:40 PM
Active
Active
New Levitz interview from Newarama: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-take-2-paul-levitz-110914.html
Not much new, other than the reveal of a legendary artist guesting in issue #5...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#617219 09/15/11 10:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
AND PLEASE don't let Jack Abel ink it this time!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#617220 09/18/11 01:39 AM
S
Active
Active
S
I understood that he requested Jack Abel ink it previously

However this is great news and hopefully the start of more regular appearances from him in the new DCnU both on art and writing

#617221 09/20/11 04:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just saw the preview of LOSH#1 at Newsarama. Art looks beautiful. Love Mon-El's new look! Comet Queen also looks fantastic.

#617222 09/20/11 06:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Gasp! I just recalled Simonson's SECOND LSH work-- he teamed with Levitz for that shortie that introduced the anomaly in the reboot.

So this will be his third LSH work.

#617223 09/21/11 01:11 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Technically fourth as he also did a page or two during the reboot stay in the twentieth century. Cannot remember the exact number but it was around issue 94 and featured Jo and Gates.

#617224 09/21/11 01:25 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Issue #94 is it exactly, stuorstew!

Count me in as looking forward to a Simonson fill-in.

#617225 09/21/11 01:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now THAT I had forgotten entirely!

#617226 09/21/11 02:37 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Just saw the preview on Newsarama previously mentioned, it's located [ here ] .

Rambling but with a spoiler tag! <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">While I'm glad as a Legion fan for the continuity, I'm kind of horrified for new readers at how much backstory is mentioned in the first four pages alone. Legion wasn't faring too well sales-wise and Legion Lost doesn't seem like it was a hit so I was hoping this issue would be super accessible. Referencing Variable Lad, Mon-el as a GL, a Superman connection, Saturn Queen, funerals, and having Harmonia Li around before you have the time to explain these things is not only confusing - most of these things are unnecessary to the new story arc. The funerals, or at least some visual or story acknowledgement that this team ties into the Legion Lost team, is something that IS necessary yet is missing here. Hopefully the issue itself will have that.

For the sake of new readers, I'd have rather these things not been mentioned and instead spread through the first arc as tidbits. A stronger launch might have been introducing the Academy kids, watching their reactions at getting plucked up into the Legion, let them share opinions about the few vets they'll be paired with, and then end on a cliffhanger as their first missions make them realize it isn't all fun and games. The issue even could have started with the Academy kids looking at a holo of the Legion before the departures, all shiny and full of hope - then, cut to the funeral(s) for the Lost with the team in the same arrangement to show the dwindled numbers, who we lost, and remorse to set the tone. A before/after splash page! There's your team pin-up, Legion Lost acknowledgement, and State of the Legion right there with visuals. Toss in an Earth-Man and Variable Lad statue in the background too as a nod to recent events without blatantly calling attention to the fact the reader missed yet another event (Saturn Queen's LSV).

There are positives though! I do love Mon-el's new look. I do like that Mon-el is being held accountable for all the losses the Legion has suffered as leader, if only because his attention had been so divided previously. It'll be great to see him step up to leadership proper with such motivation now. From the art it looks like the meeting room chairs are featureless, but when someone 'logs in' to the console in front of them their monitor board symbol pops up on the back of the chair. A neat touch! The art in general is great. Portela really packs in the detail and backgrounds - I love it!</span></span>

#617227 09/21/11 04:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I heartily agree with you, Future. Imagine the power in juxtaposing those images of the team then, and the team now.

Agree about tying in the Legion to Legion Lost.

Perhaps some accompanying text pieces would have helped fill in the gaps, like the old-style news headlines and one-paragraph excerpts. Nice background info for readers who look for it, but those who don't can simply ignore them. But inserting all that info into the main narrative can be confusing.

#617228 09/21/11 06:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Future, those aren't the first few pages, I think they're about 10 pages or so in.

I really like it. Yes, there's a lot in this issue, but that's what I loved about the original Levitz era too, there's just so much to immerse yourself in. Whether that's still true with the next generation of readers, I guess we'll have to see, but I was digging it.

I liked the little acknowledgements throughout the issue of some troublesome points in the last series (Brainy not thinking Earth Man's heroics made up for his crimes, Gim acknowledging he's been making bad decisions in the field, etc). It's like Paul's been reading this board wink .

I love that we're bringing political intrigue back, by having forces trying to stir stuff up with the Dominators (who can be interesting in their own right), I liked how we got a lot of different character spotlights and I think everyone is pretty spot on, especially Espionage Cham, who was pitch perfect.

My only question, where's Quislet?

#617229 09/21/11 08:52 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Future, those aren't the first few pages, I think they're about 10 pages or so in.
Hoping so. That would make a lot more sense as far as starts go.

Quislet's absence is a little strange, as I can't figure our why he would resign. Perhaps he's on the Espionage Squad mission but hasn't made the scene in the various preview pages yet.

#617230 09/21/11 09:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Future:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
[b]Future, those aren't the first few pages, I think they're about 10 pages or so in.
Hoping so. That would make a lot more sense as far as starts go.[/b]
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I read the issue this morning, they ARE about ten pages in.

#617231 09/21/11 11:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My God - Portela's art is SO good!

He is everything that you want in a Legion artist -

* Great with multiple face/hair/body variations!
* Makes the costumes look good (and if he designed Mon-el's new one, then great at designing them too! Take note Cinar or whoever it was that designed all those ugly post-Gary Frank looks that Sun Boy, Sensor Girl, Chameleon Boy and Tyroc got dumped with!)
* Fantastic level of detail for everything from the technology to the architecture to the planetscapes to every other little background detail!
* Great eye for interesting perspective and panel compositions!
* Nice subtle character work for things that might not have been in the script (e.g. Vi and Ayla holding hands, Thom sitting down, etc.)
* Just everything!

Enjoy him while you've got him folks because mark my words - some powerful Superman or Batman or Green Lantern editor (or maybe even Marvel) is going to snap him up soon and take him away, just like so many other great past Legion artists!

#617232 09/21/11 12:43 PM
Active
Active
I don't think I have ever been so underwhelmed by a #1 book in any previous Legion incarnation.

I'm not enjoying the new recruits getting so much face time... especially an extremely contrived set up that occurs between Dragonwing and Chemical Kid.

I was not a big fan of the art. On page 2 it was not immediately obvious to me that Cham had transformed into military form almost immediately. I thought that was an actual military guy greeting the Legionnaires. I had to re-read that section to finally get what was actually going on. Newcomers to the Legion will be even more confused when PG and UB transform as well. Best to see all (non shape shifting) Legionnaires in their true from if you want new fans to glom on quickly. Plus the reasons for CK and DW not transforming as well was very lame and as I said previously, contrived.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#617233 09/21/11 12:43 PM
Active
Active
I don't think I have ever been so underwhelmed by a #1 book in any previous Legion incarnation.

I'm not enjoying the new recruits getting so much face time... especially an extremely contrived set up that occurs between Dragonwing and Chemical Kid.

I was not a big fan of the art. On page 2 it was not immediately obvious to me that Cham had transformed into military form almost immediately. I thought that was an actual military guy greeting the Legionnaires. I had to re-read that section to finally get what was actually going on. Newcomers to the Legion will be even more confused when PG and UB transform as well. Best to see all (non shape shifting) Legionnaires in their true from if you want new fans to glom on quickly. Plus the reasons for CK and DW not transforming as well was very lame and as I said previously, contrived.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#617234 09/21/11 01:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Blacula:
. . .(and if he designed Mon-el's new one, then great at designing them too! Take note Cinar or whoever it was that designed all those ugly post-Gary Frank looks that Sun Boy, Sensor Girl, Chameleon Boy and Tyroc got dumped with!)
I'm pretty positive that Jim Lee designed Mon's and Jo's new uniforms, since I've seen the drawings. I think he oversaw all of DC's new 'look'.
I saw a plate of thumbnail Legion designs by Scott Collins on Bits . . . and they were the costumes we saw in the retroboot, so I think he's the one who did the post-Gary Frank uniforms. IIRC.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#617235 09/21/11 02:34 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Loved the first issue. This is what the Legion should be rather than what it has been for some time. Also, loving Portella's artwork.

#617236 09/21/11 08:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I echo the praise for Portela on the new number one. It's his best effort to date, especially in terms of the background detail. Here's hoping that he is able to deliver this level of quality consistently through the first arc. The colors were also dynamic.

I'm fine with the line-up. The academy kids were fun in their Adventure series and they will help give the book a fresher feel. Harmonia's powers need more explanation. The issue was more set-up than actual story, but the Dominator story line seems to have potential. I'm in. Lets see where it goes...

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,837
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LispBOT # 143
LispBOT # 143
Wegion Wowwd