Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's talk about LSH #9 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
#61349 08/26/05 10:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Perhaps Elysion is wearing Brin's coat, and Brin's somewhere, really pissed.

#61350 08/26/05 12:50 PM
Leader
Leader
Yeah, I'm thinking Elyson kicked the tar out of Brin and took his coat. Sounds kinda like Spike taking the dead slayer's coat on Buffy, eh?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#61351 08/26/05 01:56 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Harbinger:
I enjoyed this issue, loved the art and can't wait to see where it leads to next. Three planets? My guess is they are Titan, Colu and Khundia.
How about Bismol!?! MatterEaterLad

#61352 08/26/05 04:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
So what's the answer to LL's homeworld problem?
Editorial mistake.

Dan
#61353 08/26/05 05:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
This version of Luornu is fast becoming my least favourite...a snippy, sneaky, toady spy?
Whatever happened to the plucky, modest girl-next-door persona I used to love in other incarnations?
Those other versions had parents? It could make a huge difference in a personality.

Dan
#61354 08/26/05 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Caliente:

I am confused, however, about how 'three planets' could stop a war. But I'm guessing it'll become clearer next issue. I hope. Let's pretend... wink
If one of those planets is Daxam, I could see how it might be possible.

Dan
#61355 08/26/05 05:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by kenaustin:
That, and the fact he's the only person sweating on the planet. Maybe makeup? But that brings up the question of how he's mimicking Elysion's power without Lemnos and the other two(only three to terraform a planet? How powerful are they?) TFers catching on. Come to think of it, Elysion does seem a bit weaker/limited in his power usage compared to his first appearance.
The Terrorfirma said that had terraformed Orando. Doesn't that make it seem like the world itself is still around? It's easily possible that some Orandians live on.

Dan
#61356 08/26/05 06:24 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Any pictures of Hussymommy?

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#61357 08/26/05 08:55 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I'm curious about the intent of Barry's cover design for #9. I don't think of myself as particularly dense, but I just didn't get this particular image. My first impression is that Coz is "breaking" through something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that symbolism might extend to. And I must admit I wasn't fond of the cover in the previews, but the final coloring really made it come alive.

If only I knew what it all really meant...

#61358 08/27/05 12:44 AM
Active
Active
I was interested by Cos' armchair-quarterback comments on Legion tactics. You don't send Element Lad into hand-to-hand? Er, given his current powerset, what else is he good for? We've seen him generate a shield to protect himself from a ranged attack, but there doesn't seem to be anything he could do offensively to a distant opponent. What is his battlefield function?

Also, the comment about needing to pair Shadow Lass and Sun Boy suggests that it wasn't just an artist's quirk to have Shady blocking a blast (Garth's, wasn't it?) in #8. We know that Dirk needs external containment when he really powers up; I'd hazard that Shady's darkfields do absorb energy this time (as someone suggested previously), making her vital to his safely cutting loose.

#61359 08/27/05 05:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
IMO this issue, like pretty much every issue since this series started, was a solid C. There were some good things about it, and some bad things, but all in all it was the same kind of boring, plodding along book that we've been reading for 9 months now.

My biggest gripe about this series, other than the non-existant action or excitement, is the fact that I really don't feel like I've gotten to know any of these characters. Its 9 issues in and they're still all cyphers to me. And this is *despite* having all those extra pages of comic AND back-up spotlight stories. These extra pages are being severely under-utilised IMO.

Another problem I have with this series, and its quite a big one considering the plot, is that I really have no sense of what the importance of the United Planets is. Or why all these planets are seceding. We haven't had enough establishing shots of different planets around the galaxy to tell us what's so great (or not great) about the United Planets or why its so imperitave that they even remain united. Because of this I'm totally disengaged from the main storyline. Who cares if there's an invading force when I'm not even sure of what they're invading or what's at risk or even what their goal is?

Other points :

* LOVED seeing Pol! Pre-Legion Pol has always been one of my faves for some reason! Wish he (and Rokk) had black hair though! Seriously - who's decision was it to give the Krinn's brown hair anyway? There are already WAY TOO MANY brown-haired guys in the Legion-verse! Without a name-check its getting hard to tell who's who! Rhonda or whoever - PLEASE change their hair back to black!

* Why did Sun Boy get a roll call entry when that was the only panel he appeared in? Those roll-call pages do nothing for me. They really need a rethink IMO.

* Loved seeing Rokk's memories of early Legion adventures - especially Ferro Lad and Catspaw! And maybe Kid Quantum and reboot Lyle? Very intriguing!

* That scene with Ultra Boy was *ridiculous*! There's being hot-headed and then there's being downright pathetic. He's quickly becoming my least favourite character in the reimagining.

* I was SO glad when those kids said "Whatever" at the end of Rokk's big speech! That's exactly what I would've said too! Waid's writing was *really* bad here I thought. I didn't feel any of the swelling of pride or emotion I was meant to feel in that scene. He came across more like some whacked-out cult leader. Compare this scene to that reboot speech Cos gave to his fellow members stranded in the 20th Century for the way an uplifting speech should be written. (Can't believe I'm saying that either after how much I hated that era!)

* I was impressed with the art for the most part. To all those complaining about it - check out Teen Titans #27 for how much worse a fill-in artist could've been!

* I also thought it was weird that Rokk was criticising Brainy for sending Jan into close-combat battle. With his new power limitation how else is he meant to do anything? And didn't Rokk send him into that battle in issue #1 anyway?

* Liked seeing Rokk looking to Gim for field-leadership skills though! Does that make him the new deputy leader in Sun Boy's absence? Or does this Gim, like the previous Gims, have some battle/tactical experience pre-Legion?

* Finally those letter pages were pretty to look at and occasionally amusing but if its a choice between them or more story - I want more story!

I feel like I say this every month now but I'm hoping next issue is better!

#61360 08/27/05 06:07 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
I was interested by Cos' armchair-quarterback comments on Legion tactics. You don't send Element Lad into hand-to-hand? Er, given his current powerset, what else is he good for? We've seen him generate a shield to protect himself from a ranged attack, but there doesn't seem to be anything he could do offensively to a distant opponent. What is his battlefield function?
Good question. We saw him on Lallor disabling SPs by transmuting their armor and weapons. Obviously, there's no such opportunity here, but I don't see why Jan couldn't defeat one of the big baddies by turning the oxygen around him to knock-out gas or something - assuming he could get close enough to the target. In any event, he's of some value defensively. Here he protects Dream Girl from an attack by "Inferno" and I assume he'd be able to deal with Elysion's mass constructs if they were made of something more substantial than sand.

#61361 08/27/05 03:32 PM
SLK Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Add me to the list of those that think this story is moving way too slowly. I do think Brainy is ultimately up to something, though. And I do think the end of the story will see the Legion more unified and ready to face a brighter future. I just wish Waid could have set the "status quo" (for lack of a better term) a bit quicker. A whole year is too long to wait to see the Legion come together when we know that they probably will anyway.

#61362 08/27/05 04:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i just don't give a crap about this story anymore.

i WANT briany's team to take off and start doing something.

kisses!

#61363 08/27/05 06:55 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I echo Blacula's sentiments.

While I have no problem with the artwork in the book (I have enjoyed the guest artists as well as Mr. Kitson's work - the art is carrying this book right now), the story is too slow. Also, I see no need for a total page for the roll call (incomplete and sometimes misleading) and three pages for a letter column (which was plain goofy). Along with five other pages (the fight scenes, credits page, and Cos' family dinner) this issue seemed "drawn out" with filler to make a 30 page book. This issue, and most of the previous eight could and should have been told in a normal format.

Also, nine issues with 30 pages equals a total year of pages for most titles, and we are still crawling along plot-wise. I initially thought the large format would be used to cram plots and subplots in to propell the Legion into a quick reboot for old and new fans alike. I have to think if a long-time reader like myself is losing interest, new readers must be already moving on.

Pet peeves with this series #1: We're now expected to pay $3 for another "continued next issue" story? Make the book normal size for the stories. This should compress the plots and pick up the pacing some, alleviate the extra stress on the artwork, and bring it back to $2.50

Pet peeve #2: Why introduce Projectra and destroy Orando? Orando WAS one of the more interesting worlds in the 31st Century preboot. Projectra (who hasn't been seen in months) could have had a different origin or been introduced later when she would actually be featured afterwards.

Pet peeve #3: The homeworld of Lightning Lad - what could have been a story turns out to be an editorial blunder, undiscovered for months? P.U. What do editors actually do?

Pet peeve #4: The narrow range of features for lookalikes Ultra Boy, Timber Wolf, Colossal Boy and Cosmic Boy, plus Elysion and Lemnos looking so generic. With the current artistic talent on the title and infinite possibilities of a 31st Century universe, we get whitebread OC Legion.

Pet peeve #5: Eight Legionnaires getting their butts kicked by THREE Terror Firma on planet Helegyn? Didn't three Legionnaires (including the non-requested Lightning Lad) hold off the whole group on the outer rim world? Are our Legionnaires too tired fighting each other to mount a decent response? It's not like the Fatal Five showed up or anything...

Pet peeve #6 - Wizard Book of the Month ... why? I see nothing of note in this issue over the previous eight issues. JSA Classified #2 with Power Girl and the "Legion" was a much better read this month than L#9. All the OMAC tie-ins were better as well.

I plan on sticking around at least until issue #12, but the promise of this reboot has been disappointing. And if the pace doesn't pick up, well .. I'm so sick of it, I could scream.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#61364 08/28/05 02:26 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I have to echo Tromium's thoughts that this issue had a real sense of progress to it, which is definately a good thing.

I love seeing Cos get so much action, a chance to show he's a great leader and a genuine sense that he believes in, and loves, the Legion.

Glad to see the letter columns and Ayla and Thom hosting them. Other characters I'd like to see are ones that don't get as much screen time: Tinya, Jan, Gim, Jeckie, etc.

Thrilled Barry is back for the next 3 issues. The other artists just aren't in the same class as him right now.

And OK, I'm shocked: No one mentions that we had appearances by Ferro Lad, Dawnstar, Catsaw and Kid Quantum in this issue? In Cosmic Boy's flashback/daydream sequence? What was that all about? Something else else that happened or Rokk's dream of the Legion?

#61365 08/28/05 02:26 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Tromium:
I''m now convinced more than ever that Violet is Brainy's spy and is letting poor Lyle take the rap.
And I totally agree.

Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
I'm starting to wonder if Brainy isn't messing things up on purpose in order to force the Legion to resolve its unity issues, and to make Cosmic Boy do exactly what he's doing--coming back in and decisively taking charge.
You know, I hadn't thought of that before. And I really like that idea.

#61366 08/28/05 05:16 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
The guest art was Faboo! Pol looked adorable and I loved the scenes on Helegyn.
The story is finally picking up a little steam.

#61367 08/28/05 11:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just read it. I also echo Blacula and Kid Quislet. As my usual thoughts I am torn between the good and bad.

The art? It was all right. Some panels looked pretty good some pretty bad. But I didn't enjoy it...I put up with it. The colors were very good though. Still Barry is carrying this book by far and every message board I visit says the same. One plus...Cham looked very good. Dare I say I may like this cham better than Barry's. That's about it.

This next peeve goes with both art and story. Every darn character looks the same. i had a hard time telling the difference between Pol, Rokk, Jo, Lyle, the Ely guy or Brin, etc. If we didn't have all white guys. And by this I don't say human races but alien races as well.

Story? Wasn't so bad but I am waiting for things to pick up. Barry said the next three issues whiz by. That's good. I liked the planet Brainy was on it reminded of the old issues. A small team on a planet we've never heard of, etc.

I was worried about the comments of Ultra Boy. He is a long way from that amazing v4 annual #1. Waid has made him too much of the jerk. The good thing about the Legion is with all the different characters it's easy for different fans to relate. I was a jock as a kid and I love Jo and Gim. Anyways his impulsive action of attacking Cham was warranted here I thought. A durlan impersonating you when tensions are so high. Kudos also to Waid to give Cham more of a spine. First with the SPs a few issues ago and now again. Makes up for all the cute alien moments inbetween. (ick) Also Rokk's underager speech at the end...you all know how i feel about that already. *yawn*

As a fan I enjoy this series because I love the Legion...and the creative team has touched on some very interesting things. But I don't love the series and am waiting for things to improve. Heck i am waiting for this super long story line to be over. The letter page was GREAT I have to admit. 30 pages of story and this is so plot heavy. We don't know much about the team or the members yet.

As monday morning editor I question a ton of things. Is this the wisest way to launch a series? Especially the Legion which a bit confusing as it is. They seem to be pushing to underager thing to get the attention of younger fans. That's a good thing. I think DnA were good at that. But the long plot, minimal action, all the UP/politics dialogue isn't the way to get young readers. I said it's interesting because they have a very Adventure type Legion...but with a volume 4 complexity...but it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe after the story line things will level out a bit.

Something else else very interesting...Cos's flashback memories??? That one panel? Was that Ferro? Catspaw?? Very interesting (and hopefully a subplot out of this plot).

Terror Firma should only be drawn by Barry. This I insist. wink

#61368 08/29/05 12:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There's a lot of talk about this panel, so here it is.

[Linked Image]

I want to believe that there's something more to the characters shown here than just a throwaway glance, but I fear this means about as much (and has as much impact on the future of the Legion) as the cadets who appeared in LEGION #25 did.

#61369 08/29/05 12:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

And OK, I'm shocked: No one mentions that we had appearances by Ferro Lad, Dawnstar, Catsaw and Kid Quantum in this issue? In Cosmic Boy's flashback/daydream sequence? What was that all about? Something else else that happened or Rokk's dream of the Legion?
Shocked. It was a curve ball for sure. A welcomed curve ball. Dawnstar? Damn I have to go back and look again. I remember FL, Catspaw, and KQ...not Dawnstar. Interesting for sure.

What other memories does Cos have in there? hmmm?

#61370 08/29/05 12:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
[b]
Shocked. It was a curve ball for sure. A welcomed curve ball. Dawnstar? Damn I have to go back and look again. I remember FL, Catspaw, and KQ...not Dawnstar. Interesting for sure.

What other memories does Cos have in there? hmmm? [/b]
I thought the chick with the headband (showing an L insignia) to the left of Catspaw might have been Dawnstar... confused

#61371 08/29/05 01:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lyle in his old uniform? Hmm? Maybe Cos has a different reasons for his actions.

Thanks for the scan NC!

#61372 08/29/05 12:17 PM
Leader
Leader
A headband makes Dawnstar? And which one is supposed to be Kid Q? Cos I'm not seeing it.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#61373 08/29/05 02:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think it's the first Kid Q - James Cullen - with the rasta hair. I was looking for Jazmin myself - keep forgetting poor James. frown The woman with the headband reminded me of Wonder Woman; I suppose she's just imitating the look, 'cause there's a guy who looks a bit like the Flash in the back, too.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
King of Snake
King of Snake
Greetings from the Underworld ...
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star