Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 18 Murran Spies, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/22/24 08:34 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/22/24 08:32 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 06/22/24 08:07 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 06/22/24 08:06 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 06/22/24 06:35 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/22/24 03:44 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Supergirl Annual 2 aka Could it be Saaaaaaaaatan Girl?
#613381 10/27/10 01:44 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Haven't gotten it yet just want to make the thread cause I know we'll be talking about this one.

Bring back the super-cousins
Re: Supergirl Annual 2 aka Could it be Saaaaaaaaatan Girl?
#613382 10/27/10 01:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There are rules about making these types of threads without a preview or before you buy the book, ss.

#613383 10/27/10 03:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I've read it. Its heaven in paperback. There is only one problem and that is that Matt Camp and Marc Rudy split the art but where it splits is natural and both have good if different styles. Lots of silver age references, heavy peter david influence running though and Supergirl channels the Tenth Doctor and Gandalf. Perfection.

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#613384 10/27/10 04:23 PM
G
Active
Active
G
It seemed to be trying to reconcile the silver age Supergirl's adventures in the Legion with the current Supergirl's history. Like said above... lots of references, but it just seemed to me to leave more questions than answers. It did have the best use of Jimmy-bots ever to see print though. And for the original poster: Yes, kind-of-sort-of.

#613385 10/27/10 05:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I went to two comic shops on my way back from work tonight and both of them are sold out for crying out loud! Is this book that hot??
Now I have to drive all over town tomorrow trying to find a CBS that has a copy for me ... maybe I should call ahead, just in case! smile

#613386 10/27/10 05:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I couldn't believe they actually referenced Ms. Mesmer. Anyone remember her?

#613387 10/27/10 05:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I do....as part of "The Gang" alongside Bulldozer, the Brains, and Kong...IIRC, somehow.

last time she appeared was in Bulleteer #2...part of Seven Soldiers mini-within-mini-series.

#613388 10/27/10 05:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Uh-huh.

I first learned about her from a cameo in Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer. She was on a panel at a superhero convention next to Bette Kane.

#613389 10/27/10 09:29 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Repost of my message from the DC boards (edited to include the 30th century thing in the text):
---------------
This issue had some serious problems.

Satan Girl not being an evil Supergirl was already mentioned, and I don't see why they couldn't still have done that. It would be black Kryptonite instead of red, but we've certainly seen it before and there's no reason why we couldn't see it again.

But one of the bigger problems with this issue is the idea that Brainy keeps putting people in danger by his screwups. This is an exaggeration, like many, which results from fans remembering one or two things and having them take on far more significance than they really have. Yeah, he made Computo. That was one incident. The idea that he routinely messes up that badly is not true.

The issue seemed to pay lip service to Supergirl's tenure with the Threeboot, yet failed to mention it when it probably should have been brought up. Like, she did meet the Threeboot B5.

The issue also failed to show a lot of things fans would expect from such an issue. Supergirl joins the Legion off-screen. The scene where Brainiac 5 says "I'm sorry I'm descended from an evil villain" is not present, even though 1) Supergirl has met Brainiac very recently and 2) for the first time in decades, Brainiac is organic and we actually can have that scene again. The question of whether this version of Supergirl actually died in this continuity was not answered (although the characters clearly think she did and the museum shows Kara in her current costume--unlike DCU Legacies, which shows the 80's Kara costume.)

The issue also had a couple of bits of Legion continuity that are questionable even considering that the old stories aren't going to be exactly followed. Kara calling Imra "Emm". Kara getting a flight ring--it seems that only Paul Levitz remembers that the Legion once had flight belts. Kara joining after Kal (I suppose in theory the writer could know about the controversy and just be taking a different stand). And the Threeboot doesn't take place in the 30th Century.

#613390 10/27/10 10:20 PM
Leader
Leader
My store was sold out too. Didn't know Supergirl was that hot.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#613391 10/28/10 03:57 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Repost of my message from the DC boards (edited to include the 30th century thing in the text):
---------------
This issue had some serious problems.

Satan Girl not being an evil Supergirl was already mentioned, and I don't see why they couldn't still have done that. It would be black Kryptonite instead of red, but we've certainly seen it before and there's no reason why we couldn't see it again.

But one of the bigger problems with this issue is the idea that Brainy keeps putting people in danger by his screwups. This is an exaggeration, like many, which results from fans remembering one or two things and having them take on far more significance than they really have. Yeah, he made Computo. That was one incident. The idea that he routinely messes up that badly is not true.

The issue seemed to pay lip service to Supergirl's tenure with the Threeboot, yet failed to mention it when it probably should have been brought up. Like, she did meet the Threeboot B5.

The issue also failed to show a lot of things fans would expect from such an issue. Supergirl joins the Legion off-screen. The scene where Brainiac 5 says "I'm sorry I'm descended from an evil villain" is not present, even though 1) Supergirl has met Brainiac very recently and 2) for the first time in decades, Brainiac is organic and we actually can have that scene again. The question of whether this version of Supergirl actually died in this continuity was not answered (although the characters clearly think she did and the museum shows Kara in her current costume--unlike DCU Legacies, which shows the 80's Kara costume.)

The issue also had a couple of bits of Legion continuity that are questionable even considering that the old stories aren't going to be exactly followed. Kara calling Imra "Emm". Kara getting a flight ring--it seems that only Paul Levitz remembers that the Legion once had flight belts. Kara joining after Kal (I suppose in theory the writer could know about the controversy and just be taking a different stand). And the Threeboot doesn't take place in the 30th Century.
I'm not sure all that was needed after her interaction with the threeboot though. Why does she have to go through 'Brainy is evil' like she did under Waid's pen? Especially when she has seen and been helped by this Brainy before, a Brainy that has the Superman seal of approval.

I don't think this issue did anything Levitz' comment about blown up labs didn't. Brainy does blow things up, things often go wrong. Look at him unleashing the infinite man as another example, its not just Computo. Computo was just the first. And of course Levitz used flight rings too early in Adventure Comics too.

I think the reason we didn't get evil Supergirl was because evil Supergirl is showing up in JLA next month. Nobody ever said that this retroboot was a return to the silver age continuity line for line. Lots was booted out in the process of bringing it back. This is just another one of those alterations to fit the new timeline.

Just because a statue shows Kara in an early costume doesn't mean she doesn't change costume. 'Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' showed a statue of her post death in the hotpants attire. Its just a representation. Gates goes to great lengths to not tell us how she dies but makes it so that it could be Crisis. It seems to me he was building to a storyline where Brainy tries to stop it happening, we've seen him contemplate this before remember?

We still have one significant issue this should really have solved though. When was B5 initiated into the Legion?

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

#613392 10/28/10 06:54 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
loved this issue...love all the silver age references i caught in it. As well as showing supergirl actually having some super-girlfriends down time...even though Tinya wasn't in that panel with Imra and Lu. Totally caught the Crimson refernce...And I understand why they haven't shown us how she dies yet (they haven't thought of it and don't want to set how's in stone). I still don't think she's going to die in the way "history" says she does. After all they're letting us know this way before it happens...so i say its the ulitmate Crimson...i mean red herring. And it is interesting that this time around..it appears Brainy didn't get into time travel to save her.But I hope he saves her neithertheless...maybe at that point she can come live in the 31st century like Paul had intended with her as Sensor Girl (no not saying she's going to be Sensor Girl just the intent of bringing her to the 31st century holds up).

#613393 10/28/10 07:35 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
I don't think this issue did anything Levitz' comment about blown up labs didn't. Brainy does blow things up, things often go wrong. Look at him unleashing the infinite man as another example, its not just Computo. Computo was just the first.
Brainy also created Omega.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#613394 10/28/10 07:47 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Brainiac 5 unleashed the Infinite Man when that was necessary, so it doesn't count as endangering people by a screwup.

And creating Omega was done when he was insane, and he was insane because of Stargrave (something fans also often forget, thinking he just naturally went insane; he didn't.)

#613395 10/28/10 08:32 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
Just because a statue shows Kara in an early costume doesn't mean she doesn't change costume.
That's not the point. I'm not complaining about a costume discrepancy, I'm using the costume as evidence as to which Kara it is. If they use the modern costume, that means they think it's the modern Kara (regardless of whether she actually wears it when she dies).

#613396 10/28/10 10:10 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I haven't been able to get it yet. Can somebody please tell me who Satan Girl is? Is it Dolores or is it a red kryptonite version of Supergirl?

#613397 10/28/10 10:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It LOOKS like Dolores but they claim she's some ancient goddess of love and death.

Well, a thousand years has passed, it could very well be Dolores.

#613398 10/28/10 02:07 PM
Substitute
Substitute
When mentally attacked Brainy says 'Don't say those things to me...sacrifice my life...to save yours...please remain and be my girl'

So 'Sacrifice my life... to save yours' is from his first appearance of course where he gives her his force shield belt to ward off a coming kryptonite asteroid. (recreated in this issue) The full line is 'I'd gladly sacrifice my life to save yours any time!'

'please remain and be my girl' is from the same story, pretty obviously. Its the one people remember from that issue if they remember it at all.

I can't place 'don't say those things to me' though. Also, do we think there is more to this than dropping in past quotes? After all those stories are not in continuity any more and it was the result of a mental attack. LO3TW also suggests B5 remembers things that other people don't. These memories could be locked away, like Saturn Girl says at the end a similar event could trigger the mind. This is a similar event, plus Saturn Girl's intervention. Things that make you go hmmm...

#613399 10/28/10 03:56 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Umm, who is Dolores?

#613400 11/01/10 11:32 PM
Leader
Leader
Dolores Pratchet was the post-crisis Satan Girl who showed up during PAD's Supergirl series. She was an enemy of the previous Earth Angel of Fire.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#613401 11/02/10 09:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I finally got around to reading this book and it was ok for me. Just ok. Nothing popped like I was hoping it would have.
It certainly didn't live up to the hype for me as a long-time fan waiting to see something new added to the continuity.
I guess I have to hope that the new readers aren't too messed up now about what the Legion means to Supergirl after reading this. Maybe new readers will now go back and buy some older Legion books featuring Kara's adventures with them, just so they can get caught up with all the history.

#613402 11/03/10 06:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I really loved it! I love that Kara as a member of the Legion has been re-established and for the first time in ages, I enjoyed whole-heartedly a Supergirl / Legion interaction. She felt like she belonged again.

Unlike Ken, I'm glad they didn't show scenes from the original story. They've already been told and any re-telling IMO would just feel 'not as good'. Rather, they skipped forward a little bit. I think the continuity makes pretty good sense at this point with only the most minor inconsistencies.

What finally did it for me was at the end when she kissed Brainy. I never considered this relationship one of my favorites but when I saw it, I felt like at long last...finally...something important had been restored. Supergirl is the one true love of Brainiac 5 and I guess I either forgot or convinced myself otherwise. Here it just felt right again.

#613403 11/04/10 02:47 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

What finally did it for me was at the end when she kissed Brainy. I never considered this relationship one of my favorites but when I saw it, I felt like at long last...finally...something important had been restored. Supergirl is the one true love of Brainiac 5 and I guess I either forgot or convinced myself otherwise. Here it just felt right again.
Hopefully especially since Paul is writing the legion again...somehow what went wrong in the Original Earth 1 history will be corrected in this post-crisis/infinte crisis timeline...and Kara will be saved from her "fate" and she and Brainy will be a couple...no running away to the past like she did at the end of the Ontir story never to see the legion again...well except about the Monitor's satalite but that doesnt count!!!

#613404 11/11/10 12:44 AM
S
Active
Active
S
This was a really, really fun comic.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#613405 11/11/10 06:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I got it today!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,349
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
bIZARRO nO.1
bIZARRO nO.1
bIZARRO wORLD