Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:37 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/29/24 12:36 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/28/24 11:42 PM
Why love the legion?
by stile86 - 09/28/24 10:39 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by stile86 - 09/28/24 09:58 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Re: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
#612714 07/22/10 09:18 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*removed*

Re: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
#612715 07/22/10 10:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
As of Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #2 (vol. 2) the '6 Minute War' took place on Durla sometime durring the age of the ancient Greeks. As of Adventure Comics #516 the '6 Minute War' took place on NEW Durla sometime in the future. Also, the events of the story from LSH Annual #2 couldn't have happened as depicted any way since the group of Legionnaires stranded in the past in that story got there because of hitting a temporal wave caused by Superboy time-traveling on his own. The realy odd thing here is that both stories were written by Mr. Levitz so it is Levitz contradicting Levitz.
so what? It's not like that annual really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt he considers it one of his finest; it came off more like a throw-away idea.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#612716 07/22/10 12:55 PM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Originally posted by Kent:
It's not like that annual really mattered in the grand scheme of things.
First of all, the issue was full of little retcons/mistakes like that. Contradicting one obscure story isn't that big a deal; contradicting many obscure and not-so-obscure stories adds up to death by a thousand cuts.

Second, small retcons can add up over time too. If every story for the next couple of years only contradicted one obscure reference, Legion history would be nonsense by the time it was all over.

#612717 07/22/10 01:00 PM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
You might want to add that the story from Adventure #516 also states that Brande hired a 'big deal xenologist' to design a form that would make Durlans seem 'safe' to others and yet allow them to use their powers quickly and easily.... and yet .... Their 'designer/defualt' form looks exactly like current day shape-shifting Durlans and the pre-war (presumably non-shape-shifting) Durlans from the bottled City.
Added...

#612718 07/22/10 02:59 PM
G
Active
Active
G
*removed*

#612719 07/24/10 07:59 PM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Edited again to mention Dream Girl's connection to the Dreaming.

You know, as I think about it it seems more and more that the Johns run was full of stuff that we'd be better off without and that it only seems sensible because it was better than not having the original Legion at all.

#612720 07/24/10 08:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

so what? It's not like that annual really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt he considers it one of his finest; it came off more like a throw-away idea.
Throw-away idea? You mean like the very first appearance of the Legion of Super-Heroes was?
not quite. no one seems to have ever clamored for the return of the Durlan Greek gods. Or for any revisiting of that story at all.

#612721 07/24/10 09:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
[b] It's not like that annual really mattered in the grand scheme of things.
First of all, the issue was full of little retcons/mistakes like that. Contradicting one obscure story isn't that big a deal; contradicting many obscure and not-so-obscure stories adds up to death by a thousand cuts.

Second, small retcons can add up over time too. If every story for the next couple of years only contradicted one obscure reference, Legion history would be nonsense by the time it was all over.[/b]
seems like almost every issue from the 1970s, actually. And Legion managed to get through that okay. wink

I look at comics lore like Arthurian lore: written by too many hands to be fully consistent, and the inconsistencies/flaws are part of the cannon. To me, it's better to appreciate the gist of the mythos than try to iron out the wrinkles.

but I've been the anal-continuity freak at various times (I mean that in fond nostalgia, not any dis), so I both respect and am amused by this project.

#612722 07/24/10 11:06 PM
Active
Active
Adventure #12 says that Superboy is from the 20th Century but the Legion is from the 31st. If the Legion takes place exactly 1000 years after Superboy's time, this can't be true. Probably a mistake.
IIRC Legion stories (Adventure to Volume 3 era) have always been 1000 years after date they were published give or take a month or two.

#612723 07/26/10 08:55 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*removed*

#612724 07/27/10 03:42 AM
Active
Active
When DC stated that this was the original Legion, I doubt very much that the statement was meant to include every detail from the silver age Earth One. Original Legion meant Bouncing Boy to Quislet.

When you look at the Flash, Green Lantern or Superman, all of these characters' backgrounds have been greatly changed since the silver age but they are still touted as the original silver-age heroes. The DCU has moved on and that movement has affected the Legion just like all the other characters. Large chunks of the changes to Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and the Superman family are down to the tinkering of Geoff Johns so we should expect the Legion to suffer similarly, just as the Legion suffered for John Byrne's changes to Superman in the 80s.

Try to imagine if there had been no 5YL, reboot or threeboot. Would the current tweaks have been acceptable twenty years ago. Are they any worse than the pocket universe Superboy for example?

Many of the changes are unnecessary and irritate the hell out of me but this is still the Legion of Mr & Mrs Ranzz, Mr & Mrs Taine, Tellus, Quislet and all the other little pieces that made me love the Legion all those years ago.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#612725 07/27/10 03:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
When DC stated that this was the original Legion, I doubt very much that the statement was meant to include every detail from the silver age Earth One. Original Legion meant Bouncing Boy to Quislet.

When you look at the Flash, Green Lantern or Superman, all of these characters' backgrounds have been greatly changed since the silver age but they are still touted as the original silver-age heroes. The DCU has moved on and that movement has affected the Legion just like all the other characters. Large chunks of the changes to Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and the Superman family are down to the tinkering of Geoff Johns so we should expect the Legion to suffer similarly, just as the Legion suffered for John Byrne's changes to Superman in the 80s.

Try to imagine if there had been no 5YL, reboot or threeboot. Would the current tweaks have been acceptable twenty years ago. Are they any worse than the pocket universe Superboy for example?

Many of the changes are unnecessary and irritate the hell out of me but this is still the Legion of Mr & Mrs Ranzz, Mr & Mrs Taine, Tellus, Quislet and all the other little pieces that made me love the Legion all those years ago.
You worded that perfectly. I couldn't agree more!

Touch the magic...
#612726 07/27/10 07:32 AM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
I think that the statement could be interpreted as "we're going to keep as much as reasonably possible". This does not mean that they have to keep Cosmic Boy's magnetic eyes, or every story where the Legion plays a prank on some 20th century person. But I don't think it's unreasonable to interpret that as "we're not doing a whole bunch of gratuitous retconning all at once".

#612727 07/27/10 10:34 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Part of the problem is that one person's obscure trivial plot point is another person's vital bit of classic Legion lore.

It does amuse me that people who complain about arbitrary deviations from old school Legion continuity are called "anal-continuity freaks" while the changes are almost always excused under the banner of "Well, the rest of the DCU has changed, so we've got to expect that the Legion will have to be altered to conform with every other comic DC is publishing at the moment."

#612728 07/28/10 09:35 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I just reread the first post to see how far we've gotten. Very good stuff, Ken!

Maybe by the 12 issue (end of Levitz first year) you could do a full-on summary of all inconsistencies, deleting all mistakes, fixes and unimportant things (like statues). There could be an annual update of that, and you can keep the first post of this thread going the way it is now so its kind of like the Master List.

Er, that is, if you don't mind me making more work for you. smile

I actually think we have a really firm handle on continuity at this point. Other than Countdown, which no one clearly intends on ever addressing, things aren't quite as messy as someone would think at first.

#612729 07/28/10 09:55 AM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Not all of the list is about inconsistencies in the first place, like the Tornado Twins/XS stuff (which was from your original list), or the list of retcons.

#612730 07/28/10 10:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Oh, I know. I think you've done a great job!

I'm just curious about how much Paul can actually resolve in one year's time.

#612731 07/29/10 09:28 AM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Added the 52 Devem and moved Dev-Em back to "up in the air".

#612732 08/08/10 10:09 AM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Added explanation for the Superboy date error in Adventure Comics.

Is there any way we can pin the thread? Sooner or later I'm going to run out of changes to make.

Edit: also added Inferno and Sun Girl and changed the 5YL section to an other continuities section so Dr. Aven could be put there. And the Kyle Rayner reboot crossover.

#612733 08/10/10 02:06 PM
Active
Active
hmmmm...wonders if Inferno is still in the 21st century...

Bring back the super-cousins
#612734 08/11/10 09:10 AM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
Added:

Blok in Adventure #4

Element Lad scene from Adventure #1 was shown

Moved V6 inconsistencies into separate section from pre-V6 inconsistencies

Levitz's remarks on Ayla/Vi from SDCC interview

Anything else I missed from Adventure? (or were any of the other scenes at the end of Adventure #1 shown?)

#612735 08/11/10 04:24 PM
G
Active
Active
G
*removed*

#612736 08/11/10 08:41 PM
K
Active
OP Offline
Active
K
I think undoing the Lanoth thing is the first one of those.

At any rate, Adventure #517 has its own problems, so I've added it twice, once as un-retconning Superman: Secret Origin and once as adding retcons. I made a long post on the DC board complaining about retcons that supposedly don't change anything we actually saw. It's a shame that the list now has an "intentional retcon--during V6" section.

#612737 08/12/10 07:10 AM
Active
Active
i wonder if the flight belt thing was an artist remembering what originally took place and got it drawn up and it was too late to change it back to rings post production...(no one wants their legion books to be late do they?) ...not that a mistake like that is acceptable but tolerable if it switches back.

Bring back the super-cousins
#612738 08/12/10 09:11 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*removed*

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,848
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
icefire
icefire
tennessee