Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let's talk about LSH #11 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
#60932 10/26/05 03:59 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Very unfulfilling.

Look! My post had more of a point than issue #11 did.

#60933 10/26/05 04:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was appalled by page 2!

But then Brainy goes and gets all, "I'll outthink it" and I remembered why this character is so important to any and all Legion eras/'boots. And I was relieved.

But then came the killing line... "I'm not smart enough." Oh my.

But I'm holding out hope because that sentence is prefaced with "Not yet."

Save her, Brainy!

re: the backup; I liked the scenes matched with old Silver Age covers bit, but ultimately, except for the possibility of an "Elastic Lad" character, this felt like filler.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#60934 10/26/05 04:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So anyone think Brainy and Dreamy aren't hooking up when he raises her from the dead?

#60935 10/26/05 04:37 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I get the feeling that the arc was originally supposed to wrap up in issue #12 (per the solicitation for that issue), but something caused the finale to be pushed to issue #13. So we get some padding in this story, plus 3 unsolicited backups in issues #11-#13, as if they had to stretch two issues into three at the last moment. Hopefully, Barry will address this.

Miscellaneous thoughts/observations:

- I'm not at all surprised that Dream Girl's ultimate fate was left unresolved. The longer she remains under the force field, the more likely it is Brainy will find a way to revive her. At least she has all her body parts.

- Brainy surrendering his belt to protect Dream Girl reminded me of his first appearance in Action #276, when he gave the belt to Kara to protect her from a Kryptonite meteor. If that ain't love, I don't know what is.

- If Ttrxl is the Fifth Dimension (as Sun Boy claims), where are Mr. Myx, Thunderbolt and all the other whacky characters? Agent "Skelter Probability" doesn't look very whacky to me.

- If Ttrxl is the Fifth Dimension, then this is where the Legion meets Lemnos in issue #13.

- I don't suppose Imra ever thought to learn sign language. Nah.

- Cham morphing uncontrollably was very cute.

- Sentient Cloud Boy got the best dialogue, I think. "Flesh ape" has a nice ring to it.

- I really wish they'd spent less time on Ttrxl and Dormir, and more on the TF homeworld.

- Now have three pairs of lovers (or potential lovers), where one of the partners needs to be rescued. Interesting symmetry.

Barry's artwork was particularly gorgeous this issue and Dale Eaglesham did a good job in the backup. I just wish the writing was as exciting as the art. This issue wasn't bad by any means, but the story certainly wasn't what I expected, and the backup was just, I dunno, strange.

#60936 10/26/05 04:52 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Tromium:
I get the feeling that the arc was originally supposed to wrap up in issue #12 (per the solicitation for that issue), but something caused the finale to be pushed to issue #13. So we get some padding in this story, plus 3 unsolicited backups in issues #11-#13, as if they had to stretch two issues into three at the last moment. Hopefully, Barry will address this.
I really hope this is the case. It would be a satisfactory, if unfortunate, explanation for the unusually low quality of this issue.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#60937 10/26/05 05:11 PM
Active
Active
I agree, it does seem like a last-minute stretching of the plotline, and the backup story was even sparser. Could it be that #12 and/or #13 originally referenced Infinite Crisis stuff that couldn't be revealed yet?

I'm gonna hazard that originally the TF homeworld scene was supposed to be longer. All we got was "Well, we're here...wow, look, bad guys." I bet there was supposed to be some kind of confrontation starting there--the "all-out brawl" the solicits talked about. Oh well, guess it comes in #12.

I'm willing to wait, but this was definitely my least favorite issue so far. This close to the finale, the story really shouldn't slow down.

#60938 10/26/05 05:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
- If Ttrxl is the Fifth Dimension (as Sun Boy claims), where are Mr. Myx, Thunderbolt and all the other whacky characters? Agent "Skelter Probability" doesn't look very whacky to me.
What if his first name was Helter? Would that help? I kept hearing Helter Skelter after seeing that name.

#60939 10/26/05 05:50 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I take it the Ttrxl is only one planet in the Fifth Dimension.

I assume Mxy still lives on Zrrff.

#60940 10/26/05 06:14 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
I flat out didn't like the story this issue (although the art was fine); in fact, this is the first time I've ever only read an issue of the Legion of Superheroes once and then put it away. **SIGH!** And the story was starting to really pick up before this. frown

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#60941 10/26/05 06:16 PM
Hey, I just realized that Ttrxl sounds somewhat similar to Bgztl. Could they both be in the Fifth Dimension, I wonder?

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#60942 10/26/05 06:43 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I don't think the backup was any kind of commentary from Waid to the fans, or on how hollow idealism is. I think it was reinforcing where the story has been going for 11 months (and hopefully finally arrives next month) - the Legion is about to stop being a retro kids club and start making their own mark on the galaxy.

Regarding Dreamy, the clues were almost as subtle as Brin's jacket last issue, but she's clearly not dead. She's only *mostly* dead. While his plan may not yet be fully formed, it was a masterstroke by Brainy to put her in the force field before anyone went through her clothes looking for loose change.

Maybe the unexpected power was that Imra learned to speak. Or maybe it's Nura discovering that she's the three-boot Immorto...

The idea that the story had to be stretched to meet the Infinite Crisis timeline is intriguing. I'm generally not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the plotting does seem awfully slow for Waid...

#60943 10/26/05 07:06 PM
SLK Offline
Substitute
Substitute
I for one enjoyed this issue, even though the plot really didn't advance all that much. It was nice to see just about every Legionnaire at least do something this issue. Some observations -

-Element Lad didn't seem to be touching anything when he made the save for Light Lass.

-Did you notice Sentient Cloud Boy becomes Sentient Thundercloud Boy when he slaps Light Lass?

-Cham's uncontrolled morphing was pretty cool to see

-Awkward Pause Boy's demands for a power switch should be temporarily satisfied!

-Umm, I really didn't get how the little light things that carry information are going to save the day. Somebody spell that one out for me please.

-Ok, so the two page spread showing all the bad guys on Terra Firma's homeworld is designed to show us just how big the threat is. But what I want to know is what are all those people doing on those platforms? how did they get there? I don't see any stairs. Did they all fly up to them? Ok, really nitpicky, but it kind of took me out of the story a bit.

I'm enjoying this story very much, but I think it's about time to wrap this up and let the Legion be heroic again. This may be going on one issue too many.

#60944 10/26/05 07:24 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by SLK:
Element Lad didn't seem to be touching anything when he made the save for Light Lass.
Could be he was amped by that "idealization" effect they were experiencing. Or the Powers That Be realized that the touch limitation was a little excessive. ElementLad3
Umm, I really didn't get how the little light things that carry information are going to save the day. Somebody spell that one out for me please.
I think since they're still hooked up to (or are part of) the galactic Hyperpath or whatever the overall communication system's called, they can let Cos' team try to contact the others via that system, even though the Legion's personal private message server's scrap.

#60945 10/26/05 07:51 PM
Deputy
Deputy
-Element Lad didn't seem to be touching anything when he made the save for Light Lass.
His powers seem to have greater range when it comes to altering gaseous substances - in this case, oxygen. See issue #2 for another example, when he changed the poison gas in a U.P. meeting room to helium.

Another thing I liked was the fact that using the "inklings" was actually Star Boy's idea. See, my boy isn't as dumb as people think he is. love

#60946 10/26/05 08:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The backup was an interesting tidbit I wasn't expecting. I liked that we got something of a more emotional tale within all this chaos and action. Also a good use once again of these kids as being the heart of the Legion, more than just fans. (also of note is that the cover of Robin carrying Kid Flash and Aqualad was also reprinted in Mike Allred's "Solo" issue which also came out this week!) I hope we get to see some of these kids again.

#60947 10/26/05 10:45 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Some observations -

-Awkward Pause Boy's demands for a power switch should be temporarily satisfied!

I will try to focus on that. Perhaps if as much nothing happens in the next issue, I will pull out #11 and fondly reminisce over that half page.

#60948 10/26/05 11:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
....nothing happened.

there's the interlac blunder again.

#60949 10/26/05 11:36 PM
Deputy
Deputy
My shop got shorted, so no Legion #11 for me this week. frown I couldn't cry or rant about it, cause my kids were in the car with me.

Ultimately, it sounds like I didn't miss too much though...

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#60950 10/26/05 11:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmm, you guys scare me. I hope this isn't the issue that makes me quit reading. smile I thought things were happening real fast or something.

On a good note I've become a big fan of Dale thanks to his pencils in VU. Can't wait to see his art in the issue.

#60951 10/27/05 01:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
AgentSkelter Inklings FirmConcept ElasticLad3

#60952 10/27/05 07:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
On the bright side, the Phantom Girl/Karate Kid story is no longer my least favorite.

#60953 10/27/05 07:36 AM
Active
Active
[b]-Element Lad didn't seem to be touching anything when he made the save for Light Lass.
His powers seem to have greater range when it comes to altering gaseous substances - in this case, oxygen. See issue #2 for another example, when he changed the poison gas in a U.P. meeting room to helium.

Another thing I liked was the fact that using the "inklings" was actually Star Boy's idea. See, my boy isn't as dumb as people think he is. love [/b]
you are right Tromium. Star Boy's only slow when it comes to bombs. smile

#60954 10/27/05 07:41 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
AgentSkelter Inklings FirmConcept ElasticLad3
Never let it be said a Graemlin-inspiring issue wasn't worthwhile...

#60955 10/27/05 07:45 AM
Active
Active
to steal a tag line from a major corporation: I am loving it!

I like the way the story bounced from planet to planet. This story had a really great galaxy wide feel to me. The page with Lemnos' army massed before the gates was cool. I liked the explanation about how the transmatters are powered.

I liked Brainy's reaction. not sure how he will outthink death. but the solution, or his failure to come up with one should prove interesting.

#60956 10/27/05 09:47 AM
Active
Active
i agree with those who felt the storyline slowed down and left me feeling "eh". no doubt Brainy will save Dreamy, probably Shrinking Vi will help (see cover for #13). but i really question his priorities, putting one "dead" person over and above the millions on Earth? WHY DOES BRAINY HAVE BROWN EYES?? WHAT IS WITH ALL THE BROWN HAIR AND EYES? WHY ARE CHARACTERS COLORS CHANGED ARBITRARILY??
(sorry for the rant.)
Still no progression on WHO or WHAT is behind Lemnos. ho hum. 5th dimension....maybe it's Phantom Zone criminals? are they in the 5th dimension now? that would be cool. General Zod and the rest...and Mon-El! but how could it possibly resolve satisfyingly in one more issue? after this year long storyline i want some 2 parters with strong adversaries.

Gorilla Nebula
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
King of Snake
King of Snake
Greetings from the Underworld ...
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star