Roll Call
0 members (), 5 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview & Spoilers)
#608389 10/08/10 02:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
[b] it's not Shady. it's Yera. she's part of the Durlan revenge Squad.
Grife! mad

That's what I said somewhere earlier in this thread, and suggested Jekkie as a candidate, too, but nobody reacted for some reason.

I hate when that happens. frown [/b]
It happens to me all of the time.
sigh

If it IS someone besides Shady, then I agree with something someone else has already said - where's Shady?

And Harbinger's statement makes sense, too, EM could find out immediately who it is by just touching them.
And he's certainly touching whoever that is.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#608390 10/12/10 06:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If Sensor Girl was behind all this then E-Man wouldn't know it wasn't the real Shady, right?
That's the nature of her enhanced power ... total sensory deception, when necessary that it.

#608391 10/12/10 07:14 AM
Leader
Leader
Wait a minute. Earth Man absorbed Jeckie's powers last issue, right? He could be creating an illusion of Shady himself. Though what his motive could possibly be is beyond me.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#608392 10/12/10 07:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's a strong possibility too!

#608393 10/12/10 09:44 AM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Wait a minute. Earth Man absorbed Jeckie's powers last issue, right? He could be creating an illusion of Shady himself. Though what his motive could possibly be is beyond me.
The only motive I can see would be to sow discord in the Legion. If he was just using it for a 'sex doll' he would be in his quarters and not Shady's. Of course, creating an image of her having sex with him in her quarters would imply that he knew Tinya would catch them and be upset by it.... Not sure the character is supposed to be that bright, but I guess it could be. Personally, I figure that it is just a bad writing and an awful characterization of Shady by a writer that is out of practice writing her.. or who is getting senile. One of those....

#608394 10/12/10 02:48 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
... or who is getting senile.
There's no need to insult the writer this way.

#608395 10/12/10 11:14 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[raises hand]

No kidding, rhino.

It doesn't even make sense. The dude is 54 years old, according to wiki. If he's ready for the old folks' home at this point, I'm not gonna' be too far behind him. smirk

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#608396 10/13/10 05:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry to disagree with you Iam Legion, but I happen to think Paul is a great writer. The man is a thinker ... and the thing about his style that I enjoy so much is that there are many layers to his plots and sub-plots.
Keep in mind this is a man with many decades of writing experience under his belt, so his thought processes are complex. Nothing seems to make sense, until .... then BAM!

That's Paul Levitz' style.
Let's give the man a chance to wow us shall we?

#608397 10/13/10 08:52 AM
G
Active
Active
G
lil'rhino: I call them like I see them and the writing has just been plain BAD in for this incarnation of the Legion. Maybe not Three-Boot bad, but bad.

cleome: Senility, especially Alzheimer related senility, can hit a person at an early age. No implication as to your state of reason is to be implied or infered from this statement since onset of senility varies greatly from one person to another. Also, I don't think that he is really becoming senile, I think he is just out of practice writing these characters well and he has been given a bad situation ('The Lightning Saga' and Lo3W following decades of retconned and rebooted Legion following CoIE plus his own reputation as a genius to live up to) to deal with. So far the writing is awful, but he could very well turn it around and if so, I'll be amoungst those singing his praises. Until then the writing stinks and I'll say so.

future king: Don't be sorry. You are completely entitled to your oppinion. And... you may be correct in saying the 'BAM!' will come and it will all make sense... I sure hope so. Until that happens though, I can only judge the writing on what has been shown and that has become almost painful to read. Even allowing him slack for comparisons to 'what could have been if DC hadn't messed up the Legion with CoIE' it just falls short. The characterizations are off. The questions are annoying and distracting. The 'drama' is contrived, over the top and yet still not riveting. It is just not entertaining. My enjoyment for this series is just not there and my love for these characters dies a little with each new poorly written story.

#608398 10/13/10 09:27 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I have no problem with you hating the writing and expressing it.
My problem is only with the personal insult you used. What seperates LW from most message boards is respect. For each other & for comic book professionals.
So feel free to like or dislike-your reasons are totally valid & welcome, and your posts are informed & concise.
Just please refrain from personal insults against anyone, as they have no place here.

#608399 10/13/10 11:16 AM
[snip]

Iam Legion wrote:
...I think he is just out of practice writing these characters well and he has been given a bad situation ('The Lightning Saga' and Lo3W following decades of retconned and rebooted Legion following CoIE plus his own reputation as a genius to live up to) to deal with...
And if you'd just written that in the first place, I don't think you would have raised anyone's eyebrows. Certainly not mine.

I don't even have to believe that Levitz or any other pro is a "genius" to figure that calling a writer/artist's mental state into question here is generally Not A Real Great Idea. Ageism-- on a board where a great many of us aren't exactly spring chickens? Also, Not A Real Great Idea.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#608400 10/13/10 12:34 PM
G
Active
Active
G
You have got to get over the idea that age and mental state are intrinsically linked. I know a teenager that is fruity as a loon and a woman that is sharper than you or I could ever hope to be at the age of 105. Ageism? That is funny given that I am older than you (based on your post reguarding your age) and probabably older than 90% + people on this board. I never insulted his age, I insulted his WRITING. Granted, my phrasing wasn't great. Maybe I could have put it: 'And from the writing I would guess it comes either from someone terribly out of practice or from the terminally senile rather than from this well known author'? Because I certainly didn't intend it as the 'personal insult' that some of you take it as. Honestly, I don't know him from Adam other than through his writing and I could not care less what kind of idividual he is as long as his writing entertains me.
Basically: I don't know or care enough about him to bother trying to insult him, but the writing better be good or I will complain like nobody's buissness.
Better?

#608401 10/13/10 01:23 PM
[snip]

Iam Legion wrote:

You have got to get over the idea that age and mental state are intrinsically linked.
shake

Kindly do some backtracking, in case you've forgotten which one of us initially used the term "senile."

I'm... gonna' go be over there now, for the forseeable future.

#608402 10/13/10 02:52 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by cleome:
[snip]

[b]Iam Legion wrote:

You have got to get over the idea that age and mental state are intrinsically linked.
shake

Kindly do some backtracking, in case you've forgotten which one of us initially used the term "senile."[/b]
No need to do any backtracking. You are the one that is still erroneously linking Senility to age. Being Senile does not have to mean being of advanced age. Senility can be induced through a number of circumstances including drug usage or physical injury to the brain. Advanced age is not the sole cause of Senility, even though a small number of people become Senile in their advanced age. There was no implied insult to the author or anyone else's AGE in my initial post except what you seem to want to see. And that is the last I plan on saying on Senility because this has just gotten so far off topic that it is ridiculous.
To make this clear: Any personal insult I made to the author on any subject other than his writing was unintentional... The only thing I intend to insult is his awful, un-entertaining WRITING so far on the new series (and in Adventure Comics). Any other insult, implied, inferred or purely imagined by others is purely acidental and I appologize. Let the normally scheduled conversation about the comics resume...

#608403 10/13/10 03:14 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
You are the one that is still erroneously linking Senility to age. Being Senile does not have to mean being of advanced age.
Er...
Yes, it does.

#608404 10/14/10 11:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Alzhiemer's Syndrome is the one that can come at an early age.
It appears to be like senility, at first and sometimes, but it isn't the same.

Anyway, I don't think that things have to be so PC around here.
People shouldn't have to be totally afraid of what they say, do they.

And if anyone is getting 'senile' here, it's me and I'm not 60 yet.
And I'm not offended.

Paul might look at things differently, though.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#608405 10/23/10 01:50 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I think this is the real Shady and that we are just looking at a characterization shakedown. From a creative viewpoint, a radical personality change (or featuring an aspect of a personality that we haven't seen before) is exciting, dynamic writing. The only thing missing is sex. No, wait, it's got sex. Perfect.

From a character point of view, I can totally see Shady playing out "the bad girl" role. Can you imagine how hopelessly boring it must be to be Mon-El's girlfriend? I can...and have...often. smile But seriously, Shady has always been attracted to powerful men. It is exciting to be intimate with raw power. Mon-el's as powerful as ever. That hasn't changed. So I figure the excitement is gone or diminished. Earth-Man is powerful, and in terms of personality is the polar opposite of Lar. Of course, she'll be showering a lot to get the ick off of her.

Kantuu

#608406 10/23/10 05:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, I for one have lost all respect for the character of Shadow Lass, thanks to this issue and #6. I look forward to seeing how Levitz will redeem her in the readers' minds. (provided of course that everyone feels as I do, which I'm sure some don't ... just sayin'!) smile

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,440
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South