Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (Preview & Spoilers)
#607765 11/22/10 01:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Where in the canon does it say Cham can detect other shapeshifters? I missed that too apparently.
The reference is to the Chemoid story, where Cham detects the fake Morlo. Though I'm pretty sure it's not that he can detect shape-shifters, per se, just that he can detect unfamiliar objects. So, presumably if it was a Durlan he had met before disguised as someone, he wouldn't be able to detect it.

#607766 11/22/10 05:22 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Something else else that really irritated me. If you look at the Legion headquarters on the last page of the first story, it is totally different from the the same headquarters on the first page of the second story. These guys are paid a lot of money, you would think they could show some consistency.
What's also bothring me is that Legion HQ is looking somewhat like the one from the 3-boot, when we all know that in the current reality its supposed to be the rebuilt original HQ. This just shows that the current penciller isn't a hard-core continuity buff--but the editor should be, though. Grrr. shocked

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#607767 11/22/10 05:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
[b]Where in the canon does it say Cham can detect other shapeshifters? I missed that too apparently.
The reference is to the Chemoid story, where Cham detects the fake Morlo. Though I'm pretty sure it's not that he can detect shape-shifters, per se, just that he can detect unfamiliar objects. So, presumably if it was a Durlan he had met before disguised as someone, he wouldn't be able to detect it.[/b]
yes because dosn't he 'scan objects with his antena' in order to be able to copy them. ... so he might detect something is up when scanning a vase that was in fact a durlan posing as a vase.

#607768 11/22/10 06:03 PM
Leader
Leader
But I think the point of that use of his antennae in the chemoid story was that it enabled him to make an EXACT duplicate of whatever he was copying, whereas the Morlo chemoids were not exact enough to the original to fool his antennae. Presumably other Durlans have the same ability and would therefore be undetectable to a fellow Durlan's antennae.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#607769 11/22/10 09:41 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally posted by googoomuck:
Has Dream Girl used her powers in any issue so far?...
She foresaw the "Diogenes" creature showing up on Naltor, didn't she?

...So I'm thinking that Dream Girl will accuse Cham of being an imposter & fulfill the High Seers prediction.
Eh. More likely that the Durlan assassins will be posing as Legionnaires by the time he runs into them.

shrug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#607770 11/23/10 02:20 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by cLSHeome:
[snip]

Originally posted by jdpinball:
[b] Can someone explain to me why a person that hates aliens (Earth man) would choose to hook up with an alien (Shadow Lass)?
I keep wondering about that myself. It feels like a wasted opportunity, because it could provide some insight into both characters, but so far it's only being played for shock and/or theatrics.

Maybe there'll be a plausible explanation at some point. It would be nice to see. [/b]
Still suspect Kirt is not a true xenophobe, but merely expoused such extreme views as a swift, expedient way to gain power among disaffected radicals, much as an infamous German chancellor glorified an Aryan image of perfection--he, himself, did not represent physically.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#607771 11/23/10 02:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Korbal:
Still suspect Kirt is not a true xenophobe, but merely expoused such extreme views as a swift, expedient way to gain power among disaffected radicals, much as an infamous German chancellor glorified an Aryan image of perfection--he, himself, did not represent physically.
Neat comparison, and possibly relevant, since the Justice League of Earth costume design went out of it's way to evoke a Nazi-esque vibe with the black armbands.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#607772 11/23/10 02:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
[b]As I previously observed, in fact, the Legion has been outright assaulting Science Police officers lately whenever they're in a snit.
Oh, that's not all. Mon-El just committed assault and battery on Earth-Man, who would be completely within his rights to get him arrested, and probably expelled from the Legion. In real life you're not allowed to beat someone up for sleeping with your ex-girlfriend.[/b]
Kirt put his hands on Lar first, that's how he absorbs powers when he doesn't have torture machines doing the syphoning for him.

He not only layed his hands on Lar first, but he verbally threatened him.
The two acts constitute assault, imo.

Lar didn't hit Kirt, either, he just pushed him away, far away.

I'm wondering, in the case of Kryptonians and Daxamites, who have special abilities but the power that fuels those abilities comes from absorbing the yellow sun's rays over a period of time; how does Kirt activate those abilities so quickly?

Should he be able to instantly access those abilities at full power levels?

I, personally, don't think he should be able to.

And it also looks like he doesn't leave the person he takes the power from weaker.
I haven't seen that, again, without the machines.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#607773 11/23/10 03:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And Jim, there are a number of women here.
Fat Cramer, Arachne, SunCat, White Raven, Karie, KidFlashFan2, to name some of them that post regularly or semiregularly.

I hope,that if they see this thread, they'll respond on their own, though.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#607774 11/23/10 08:36 AM
Leader
Leader
Well, in his first appearance, Absorbancy Boy didn't have to actually touch a person to absorb their powers, just be in close proximity. He absorbed Sun Boy's and Superboy's powers (I think) just by wearing a costume that they had previously worn.

I didn't know Fat Cramer was female either. I knew Arachne was and maybe KidFlashFan2. Not familiar with the others you name.

#607775 11/23/10 03:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't know about EM's past very much.
He's been reaching out and touching a lot lately, or that's how I'm seeing it.
He put his hand on Jeckie's shoulder and I thought he did the same sort of thing with Jan.
Both are recent examples.

If he can absorb powers from a uniform, he should have always been in the Legion, just for control purposes if no other reason.

Can he absorb abilities that come from or are joined to training, like KK or Mordru/Mysa?
Or how about genius, where, like in Einstein's and Brainy's cases, the brain itself is 'different' to make it capable of their kind of storage and processing?

Have we ever seen him morph out of his human form?

Should I take this to another thread?
Is there one?
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#607776 11/23/10 05:25 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Have we ever seen him morph out of his human form?
He briefly posed as Chameleon Girl durring the 'Superman and the Legion' storyline (Action Comics #861). Does that count?

#607777 11/23/10 09:57 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I'm very happy Polar Boy's hair is now hair & not icicles.
Tyroc shined. I admired his show of compassion in helping up the SP officer while his teammates continued to push them aside. I liked how he immediately began looking for clues & analyzing the crime scene. I loved his last yell that flattened everyone in his vicinity & finally, I think his current outfit is just fine & that he fills it out quite nicely.
I was confused to see Dream Girl at headquarters when elsewhere in the issue, it is mentioned that she is somewhere else with Gates & Dawnstar.
Shadow Lass is a jerk.
Nice portrait of Mon-El by Yildiray.
I'm enjoying Prof. Harmonia Li's continued portrayal as an enigma.
Best part of issue 7: No Sodam Yutz!!

#607778 11/23/10 10:32 PM
Leader
Leader
Ditto on Polar Boy's hair.

#607779 11/29/10 06:18 AM
Substitute
Substitute
i'm reading the GDS deluxe edition right not, and i noticed how, in the first episode, levitz dismissed tyroc's absence from the team with a throwaway line. and, if i remember correctly, the character never showed up again in the book until vol.IV.
right now, though, i agree with you about how interesting the current portrait of tyroc seems. and it's still levitz! i guess it's really true how there aren't bad characters per se, it's all about how the writer feels about them.

about this issue, can't say i liked it very much. it feels to me like the story is going on too slowely. and i'm not talking about the rythm pace, cause i actually like to read a comic book which doesn't last just two or three minutes. but what did happen in this issue in terms of events? nothing.

another thing i don't like about this book - and that i could have mentioned before here on the board - is how almost every current levitz book reads like one of those grindhouse movies missing different reels of film. a fault which, at best, makes it difficult for the reader to dive smoothly into the story and connect with the characters on stage.

anyway, the art is still great. cinar and portela are really good!

#607780 11/30/10 09:10 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Candlelight:

If he can absorb powers from a uniform, he should have always been in the Legion, just for control purposes if no other reason.
His original power was only to absorb powers from a uniform, in fact.

#607781 11/30/10 10:01 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
His original power was only to absorb powers from a uniform, in fact.
Ah yes, Absorbency Boy, the super-powered equivalent of the kid who dresses up in his mom's clothes so that he can feel pretty.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#607782 11/30/10 10:35 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:

another thing i don't like about this book... - [it] reads like one of those grindhouse movies missing different reels of film. a fault which, at best, makes it difficult for the reader to dive smoothly into the story and connect with the characters on stage...
MK, I think there's a direct connection between this tendency and the current style of huge panels and splash pages all over the place. Stories just can't unwind at a naturalistic pace, so long as the number of panels on a page is so small, and as page counts for stories keeps shrinking.

TimeTrapper

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#607783 12/01/10 03:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by cleome:
MK, I think there's a direct connection between this tendency and the current style of huge panels and splash pages all over the place. Stories just can't unwind at a naturalistic pace, so long as the number of panels on a page is so small, and as page counts for stories keeps shrinking.
i totally agree, this is for sure a big part of the problem.
in fact, i believe one of the best comic writers out there at the moment is paul tobin (give his "marvel adventures" titles a try, i truly love them), whose books' pages are indeed full of panels (but they don't feel a slow read, if you know what i mean: tobin's that good).

however, i do have the feeling that levitz' writing is also influenced by another matter: i think he's trying to "refresh" his own style, to make it feel more modern. for example, i remember a few issues ago he even tried to use caption boxes to express character's thoughts (which he never used in the past), an experiment he then quickly abandoned.
i think levitz' current "grindhouse style" is mostly borrowed by "final crisis", where grant morrison tried to apply to super-hero comics the same "docufiction-esque" pacing of tv serials like "the wire". personally i don't like that choice at all, for the reasons i wrote earlier, and i believe grant morrison himself didn't use that style for anything else than FC.

#607784 12/12/10 11:49 AM
...i think levitz' current "grindhouse style" is mostly borrowed by "final crisis", where grant morrison tried to apply to super-hero comics the same "docufiction-esque" pacing of tv serials like "the wire". personally i don't like that choice at all, for the reasons i wrote earlier, and i believe grant morrison himself didn't use that style for anything else than FC.
Thanks for the explanation. I've never read Final Crisis, so I wouldn't have known where that style came from.

As annoying as I sometimes found the "Watchmen grid" style of storytelling, and as much flack as Giffen and the Bierbaums got for using it so heavily in 5YL, I'd prefer that over the current "house style" of composing a page, because at least it gives a lot of plot and action for one's dollar.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Evolution Has Failed
Evolution Has Failed
Old Lyme, CT