Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: New R.E.B.E.L.S. Comic Discussion Thread.
#603809 07/10/09 08:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
About the book:
The new leader-bad-guy (ugly cuss) has a large sized starro on his chest, doesn't he?

I just assumed he was just a little different/superior to the ones with a large starro on their backs.

I, personally, find Bedards revamp an inspired and workable take on an old, and rather silly, concept.

I DO wonder if Dox realizes that earth biologists have changed the old starfish name to 'sea star'.
So, should Starro, and spawn, be called void stars or space stars or . . .

Never mind.

On the negative side, I don't much care for the reworking of Strata's 'look'.
I liked her all 'blingy'.

The REBELS' costumes are fine black and white and yellow.
I just don't want the enemy in the same colors, for the same reason that two opposing sports teams don't wear the same colors.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603810 07/11/09 05:28 PM
Active
Active
I'm starting to lose interest in this series... fast. I will give it one more issue to grab me like the first few issues did... otherwise my comic life will just have to be an Adventure from now on.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#603811 07/11/09 06:34 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
(snip)

Originally posted by Candle:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
[b]...A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Ummmm.
We all pretty much think the same thing.
But, kicking around possibilities is what we're sort of, here for.
Not?
confused [/b]
If we're not, I've been dO1n it wR0nG for a whole lotta' posts now.

urk

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#603812 07/16/09 10:41 PM
Active
Active
Not to be negative, but at 12k copies per month this series isn't destined to be around much longer.

#603813 07/17/09 01:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh well.
It's been nice seeing Strata again, even if she doesn't look like herself.

Maybe REBELS wasn't meant to be more than a year long chapter in Vril's life.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603814 07/17/09 07:08 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superboy:
Not to be negative, but at 12k copies per month this series isn't destined to be around much longer.
Sadly history shows that apart from the S, Bats, WW, Flash and GL no DC books can hold an audience even if they get one in the first place. Some creators, eg Johns, Morrison can lift sales but only while they are on the book. After that it is the big C for most titles.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#603815 07/26/09 03:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There's a good interview with Tony Bedard over at Legion of Substitute Podcasters , in which he expresses lots of love for all things Legion and says "As long as Vril Dox is a jerk, I'm happy". Which made me happy.... smile

Also he pointed out that their ship is based on Quislet's shape and that Lyrl will be appearing in issue 10 or 11 (I forget exactly which). After getting the 1st issue, I figured I'd wait for the TPB, but after listening to him, I may try and get the individual issues.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603816 07/28/09 12:08 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
OP Offline
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Also he pointed out that their ship is based on Quislet's shape...
I knew there was something puzzling familiar about that spaceship! Cool design. smile

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603817 07/30/09 09:46 PM
Active
Active
He's got an interview at Newsrama and here is my favorite quote:

Nrama: Have you made plans for the Vril Dox and his squad beyond the first year? Do you have a grand scheme lined up?

Bedard: After the first year, I'd like to deal with reestablishing L.E.G.I.O.N., which will be in competition with the Green Lantern Corps in the aftermath of Blackest Night. I think we could have great fun with that, and give readers a cohesive cosmic corner of the DCU that exceeds the great cosmic work they've done at Marvel lately. I mean, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps are already the best cosmic comics around, and I think R.E.B.E.L.S. rounds out that whole scene with a very different vibe.
Yes, re-establishing L.E.G.I.O.N. is what I want. And it seems the title will try pushing Blackest Night as a life-saver.

More here .

#603818 08/01/09 10:03 AM
OP Offline
Good news to hear, Ricardo. Thanks.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603819 08/01/09 03:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lyrl will be back!!!!!!!!!
That means Vril DIDN'T kill him!!!!!!!!!!
Woooohooooooo!
gonna dance
hug
Woooohoooo!
gonna kiss somebody
love
Tizzles

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603820 08/05/09 12:00 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, I'm lookin' forward to seeing Lyrl again, too. And all the other Legionairres, of course.

#603821 08/05/09 03:12 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't want to rain on the parade, but could Lyrl be a Black Lantern? I'd much prefer him to be alive and functioning, but still wonder about Vril's admission of killing his son.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603822 08/06/09 01:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh.
poo.
Cannus

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603823 08/06/09 09:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So what did REBELS fans think of L.E.G.I.O.N. characters appearing in LO3W #5, as one of the Legions drawn to Cosmic Boy/Saturn Girl/Lightning Lad's Legion magnetism?

#603824 08/06/09 09:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
So what did REBELS fans think of L.E.G.I.O.N. characters appearing in LO3W #5, as one of the Legions drawn to Cosmic Boy/Saturn Girl/Lightning Lad's Legion magnetism?
same as the other characters not strictly from one of the three Legions, put there for fans and maybe a desire to draw them.

I enjoyed seeing all the characters and didn't read anymore into those few pages than that.

#603825 08/07/09 10:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Just read #6 and I think this was a turning point issue in which the pace picks up and things start moving to the next phase. That's good, as I think the book needed that; its been strong so far but could use an added boost.

I like the full cast and think Dox was particularly awesome here, with his ruthless destruction of Silica. You just can't help but find him fascinating.

Love seeing the Durlans, Khunds, Dominators and Gil'Disphan, plus all the Omega Men / Titans alien races. Bedard really knows his DCU galactic history & geography.

Despite Starro's 'new' / 'never before revealed until now' appearance being a huge let down, I think LEGION is one of the best sci-fi books going right now. I'm definitely hooked.

#603826 08/08/09 01:38 AM
Active
Active
The one L.E.G.I.O.N.aire who wasn't there was the Durlan (RJ Brande) and of any he should have been.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#603827 08/08/09 07:14 AM
Active
Active
I liked it. Basically I looked at it as extra credit by Perez, he did say he wanted to draw every version of the Legion. And they are a version of it.

Since they were drawing the Legions from different times as well as realities, made sense to me.

#603828 08/08/09 07:19 AM
Active
Active
Hopefully the BN crossover will help the book...right now it's fighting Johah Hex for monthly sales placement, and that's not a good thing for a Superhero book.

I like this series and I like Bedard...but I personally think what he did to Starro...well sucks to put it bluntly, I honesly cannot think of a duller character change. And this definitely falls unver a peeve of mine about changing characters just for the hell of it. I do not see anything about this new Starro that is in anyway in the slightbest bit as memorable as the Big Starfish.

The Giant Starfish completely rules this Starro.

I'm thinking there's some kind of in-joke in this that I'm just not getting.

Starro the Conquer..er....Barbarian?

The other thing is I am still hoping he isn't planning on comprising the book of imitations of the major Legionnaires. I really think that is a horrible direction to go, not just for this book, but for the regular Legion and those Legionnaires as well. It's just thoroughly uninteresting to me. Bedard, as far as I can tell, is a very good storyteller, but his character creation ability isn't doing much to grab me. That change to Starro actually hurt the character a great deal IMHO.

And at 12k copies per month, they need to listen to any and all advice.

#603829 08/08/09 07:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For Starro fans, this must seem like the Sneckie case, in reverse.

I know nothing about Starro (and don't really want to) so what they do/did to the character won't affect me so much. I suspect, there's more to it than "humanizing" him, but it may be too late to tell that story.

I'm fine with the BN connection for reasons others stated. Vril wouldn't let a powerplay possibility pass. As long as I don't have to deal with zombies, I'm fine.

#603830 08/08/09 08:59 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RJ got killed on Earth 0 and he was a Durlan, probably THE Durlan from dotLEGION.
And the pull was from Lady Quark's time which was quite awhile after the Durlan was exchanged.

This Starro guy just has a larger Starro 'baby' on his chest/stomach than the ones on the backs of the talking Starro slaves.
And bigger still than the ones on people's faces.
But it's still not the 'Big SeaStar in the Sky'.

I don't think Bedard got rid of the original, it's just changed tactics since it's lost all of it's other bids for our galaxy.

At least, that's how I'm understanding the situation.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603831 08/08/09 10:02 AM
Active
Active
I hoe you're right Candle but I could have sworn I read somewhere that this is actually the Real Starro...that he was the one manipulating the Giant Starfish since all the way back in the first Justice League Adventure.

It's always been Starro's tactic to take powerful characters over to achieve his goals(like the Justice League for instance) so I wouldn't call this a change of tactics.

#603832 08/08/09 11:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The tacticak change would be allowing certain characters to be conscious and manipulated rather than just manipulated.

Has Starro ever not covered faces in the past?
I'm not the Seastar expert, but I just remember faces covered and zombie actions.

And this is the only comic site I come to at the moment, so you could have heard all sorts of things that I haven't.
frown

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603833 08/09/09 07:33 AM
Active
Active
Candle, I think he's always been pretty much a giant starfish from outer space bent on Universal domination and that has drones that go on people's heads that gives him control over them.

Basically I always knew him as the giant starfish from outer space that was well above average in the power department and who had given the Justice League and even the Avengers some challenging fights.

I do think he has had willing, fully coherent(non mind controlled) minions at times though.

For a giant starfish from outer space he had a pretty impressive portfolio of appearances in landmark comic events.

Near as I can tell he was accepted as a giant starfish from outer space that had drones he used to control people in his quest to become ruler of the Universe or something. And people were generally happy with him being that and those that knew of him generally had fond memories of this silly yet important and memorable character.

There was no mass outcry to fix him. He was accepted and in some circles even respected and beloved as a giant starfish from outer space.

Now, I think he's a medium sized starfish bonded with some Conan type dude who controlled the gant starfish that controlled the drones...

A character that wasn't broken is now fixed and I don't see anything about this change that leads me to be believe it will wind up being permanent or as successful as the giant starfish incarnation of the character.

I just don't really understand why writers feel the need to mess with long established characters that don't really need fixing.

It's one thing if the character hasn't ever amounted to much, but Starro launched the original Justice League, was in the JLA Avengers crossover, has been utilized by many great writers, as a giant megalomaniacal starfish from outer space.

He's outdone anything Bedard or the DotLegion has done in the comics, as a giant starfish from outer space.

The only one of his kind, or at least the most famous.

And that's one other thing...It has been shown in the past that there are other giant starfish like Starro from the same planet as he, something this new origin seemingly contradicts btw.

This version of the character is not going to match the track record of the giant starfish. Nor is it going to turn him into the next Joker(or even Superboy Prime) widely celebrated by comic fandom as a genius revision...IMHO, it just makes his origin more convoluted, and the character less unique.

I don't really see the need to call him Starro. Just make a warrior character bent on galactic conquest, or use one of the many pre-existing space warriors bent on Universal conquest and let it live or die on it's own merits, not the legacy of past writers and landmark comic events.

I'm not really some sort of Starro purist or anything either...but I don't see what was wrong the giant starfish from outer space...he was good enough to launch the Justice League and appear in the JLA Avengers crossover...

And now he needs fixing?

He's been effectively Hawkmanned, Donna Troyed and Legioned now.

All that said, it's not the end of the world as there is absoutely no way this revision is going to stand up. In fact it probably won't even be noticed by anyone outside of the 12k reading the book and is likely to be undone the very next time he is used by a different writer...but there will be some confusion left over from this.

I do like the book and don't mean to sound like I am trying to shred Bedard. I just don't like this kind of revision and subscribe heavily to the if it aint broke don't fix it creed, probably because of being exposed often to this sort of confounding revision as a Legion fan by writers(or maybe it's the editors), more than any other reason.

It comes off to me as creative bankruptcy or some sort of glorified fanfic, by a fan more than a writer, personalizing a longstanding character to his liking and leaving the character the lesser for it as far as the rest of the fans are concerned.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,839
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP