Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/24/24 02:06 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/24/24 02:05 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by razsolo - 06/24/24 01:32 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/23/24 08:57 PM
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
by Gaseous Lad - 06/23/24 08:36 PM
Bad jokes
by Ann Hebistand - 06/23/24 06:54 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: New R.E.B.E.L.S. Comic Discussion Thread.
#603759 05/15/09 01:35 PM
Active
Active
I'm still enjoying the series but can do without the Omega Men involvement.

Both artists are very good and have a consistent look between them but I really hate the overuse of the grey and blue color palette in the characters. The colors used for Strata, Bounder and Wildstar is so monotonous. Also, Broot and Strata are far too similar in appearance and power to be interesting in the same book.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#603760 05/15/09 03:38 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
OP Offline
I agree with what the Man from Cargg just said. Well, just to be clear, I'd welcome the involvement of the original Omega Men with Primus et. al., but the current incarnation of the group leaves me wanting. (Having said this, though, I'd be okay with Tigorr, Broot, and Darkfire joining the R.E.B.E.L.S. for extra flavour and team diversity.)

As for the R.E.B.E.L.S. themselves, I'm happy to see new members added, but am also looking forward to possible additions in the future of older members such as Stealth, Telepath, Captain Comet, or even Garrin Bek (with the Emerald Eye again, somehow). I do realize, though, that this is not yet possible at the moment, so am content to enjoy the ride as is for now.

Ultimately--presuming that Dox doesn't win L.E.G.I.O.N. back--I hope that the team comes to resemble Marvel's Star Jammers somewhat, as it sort of did (a bit) near the end of the last run of the book when Dox got a hold of that weird alien starship.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603761 05/17/09 12:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No one has posted this ?

Look's like Lyrissa Mallor will become a Black Lantern.

#603762 05/21/09 12:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Vril will never stop trying to get .LEGION back.

But I love the Starjammer idea.
I just love the Starjammers, period.

I hope the pasty white gal looses the starro and joins the team.
She's got an awesome look.
Or was she killed?
confused

And Psions.
They're right up there with Dominators, for me.
I just don't like them enough to want to read about them.

But then, I've never been a Starro fan, either.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603763 05/21/09 12:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh, and I agree, beautiful drawings with boring coloring.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603764 05/21/09 10:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm kind of expecting some if not all of the Omega Men to get incorporated into whatever group eventually forms.

Fine with me, since my preference would be for this team to be populated by characters distinct from 31st century Legionnaire makeovers. That said, I do want to see Dox's version of the roll call in his head. Knowing full well that once introduced they'll have to become part of the fabric.

Sigh. I always come back to my fundamental issue with this whole concept- which is fear that it endangers the niche of a 31st century LSH title.

#603765 05/21/09 06:20 PM
Active
Active
It seems rare that a fill-in artist can live up to a good regular artist, but I think Claude St. Aubin is not bad at all. He definitely keeps with the tone of the book.

Personally, I don't at all mind the limited pallet as far as costumes are concerned. As far as I know, the L.E.G.I.O.N. uniforms are more or less black and white, so it kind of fits. And really, aren't there already hundreds of other comics with apparently colorblind characters clad in ridiculously gaudy costumes? Oh yes, there are.

I don't know if anyone else has made the comparison but the Starro spokeswoman sure bears a striking resemblance to another former L.E.G.I.O.N. member. Could she be related? I seem to remember reading something about him killing off every other member of his own race. I dunno. I'm no Lobo fan by any stretch and would hate to see him make an appearance of any kind but guess I'm going to have trust Bedard not to make me hate this book by bringing in that ridiculous tag-line ridden Wolverine parody. His sister however, could be interesting (as long as she never says "bastich" (shudder)).

Is that a moon?
#603766 05/21/09 10:07 PM
OP Offline
Both of your points are well taken, Uranus Lad.

While I'm enjoying the art of both the regular and guest artists, I suppose that where they've fallen short, in my opinion, is in the area of costume design. For whatever reason, the styles of costumes thus far depicted don't appeal to me greatly, although in Dox's case the only change I'd like to see would be for him to lose the tunic he's currently wearing, or those horrible contrasting black pockets, at least.

And, if you're right about the new Starro minion being a Czarian, well, that'd be really neat.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603767 05/22/09 01:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Uranus Lad:
. . . Personally, I don't at all mind the limited pallet as far as costumes are concerned. As far as I know, the L.E.G.I.O.N. uniforms are more or less black and white, so it kind of fits. And really, aren't there already hundreds of other comics with apparently colorblind characters clad in ridiculously gaudy costumes? Oh yes, there are.

. . . I seem to remember reading something about him killing off every other member of his own race. I dunno. I'm no Lobo fan by any stretch and would hate to see him make an appearance of any kind but guess I'm going to have trust Bedard not to make me hate this book by bringing in that ridiculous tag-line ridden Wolverine parody. His sister however, could be interesting (as long as she never says "bastich" (shudder)).
I ment the coloring in general, when I was commenting.
I also think that the non-REBEL characters could be 'gaudy' or 'vibrant'.

I've always liked the .LEGION's black and white shceme but I kind of HATE Vril's currant Nazi look.

As for the other REBELS, I dislike that Wildstar's suit is mostly pink skin toned when, if they're going for a bikini look, she should have Amerindian golden tones.
I also don't care for the bikini look itself ~ it even seems out of character for Vril to have designed such a thing.
Maybe he was in a hurry, but I'd expect an updated suit pretty quickly since I'd think looking at it would annoy him.

BB's 'white' look is cool but Strata's is way too much like Blok's costumes.
I've always wanted her in something a little more feminine!
smile

And yes, Lobo is supposed to have killed off the rest of his species, but it's a BIG universe!

I LOVE that you noticed the similarity in looks between the 2 characters!

I knew that she reminded me of someone but I couldn't place her with Lobo.
That would mean that even if she were killed this issue, she would just come back as her own clone!
Something else else even Lobo can't do anymore!
lol

Unlike you though, I have a soft spot for his craziness and enjoyed Lobo in .LEGION.
shocked

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603768 05/22/09 01:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
P.S. ~ does anyone else hope to see Wildstar's energy wings slowly grow longer and fuller, until they're these gorgeous, giant, golden, flaring, knockout beautiful appendages that she can use like a cape or for unspoken comments?

I want to see them even when she's NOT flying, too.
:so there:

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603769 05/22/09 02:25 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Candle:
...BB's 'white' look is cool but Strata's is way too much like Blok's costumes.
I've always wanted her in something a little more feminine!
smile
Me, too.

#603770 05/22/09 09:46 AM
Reservist
Reservist
am not reading this title but took a peek at this thread. hope the tpb comes out soon... :-)

Igee The Mighty!
#603771 06/10/09 11:30 PM
OP Offline
Issue no. 5 came out today; unfortunately, I forgot what day it was and didn't get it. I will tomorrow, though.

Meanwhile, I looked at the preview art on the official DC Comics site, and man, all I can say is that the first five pages of the book look fantastic!

I'll give a more detailed and informed review tomorrow. Meanwhile, does anybody else have any thoughts on no. 5?

#603772 06/11/09 11:47 AM
Active
Active
This was the first issue where I could hear the wheels starting to spin. Not much happening in the way of storyline or character development. I feel like the playing field is a bit too expansive too quickly into a new series.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#603773 06/11/09 07:46 PM
OP Offline
Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. Things are just starting to happen, relatively speaking (i.e. the overall future plot direction is beginning to become apparent).

Unfortunately, I noticed that Astrild Storm-Daughter doesn't seem to be Czarnian as some posters earlier speculated (her eyes aren't red like Lobo's). Ah, well; she promises to be an interesting character in her own right--and powerful to boot.

My only real concern about issue five is that there wasn't enough Vril Dox. Yes, I do realize that R.E.B.E.L.S. isn't called the "Vril Dox Story," but come on--he and his (almost evil) manipulativeness and cold calculation do make him the star of the show, as well as the natural team-leader.

Beyond this, I do have a mild quibble about the sign for L.E.G.I.O.N. headquarters being written in English rather than Interlac, but realize that this is a pretty "small potatoes" sort of gripe.

Over all, it was a pretty good issue with fantastic art, in my opinion. Well done, Misters Bedard, St. Aubin, and Hanna!

#603774 06/17/09 11:07 PM
OP Offline
frown

#603775 06/17/09 11:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
frown
What's that frown for?
lol
Just your avatar and quote make me laugh ~ you're so funny MB!

As for the REBELS, the art IS beautiful.

The gal's eyes not being red is a good catch.

I thought Vril's point about her inability to go to hyperspace without a ship was interesting and very Vrilish.

And the story is starting to get confusing.

Did the Durlan stay?
Is she a new member of Vril's group.
She's a murderer and I can't stand her.

I can only take so many of those types (the 'I hate them' type) before I stop reading a book.

And it looks like veryvery was right, it's Starro but certainly, a different version of it/him.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603776 06/18/09 02:04 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Candle:

Did the Durlan stay?
Is she a new member of Vril's group...
Gee, Candle, I hadn't even thought about this as a possibility. With all due respect to your concern about evil main characters, I must confess that this potential development fascinates me, since it would in some ways mirror the old Vril/Lobo relationship (i.e. Dox having to carefully "deal" with a potentially lethal team-mate)

As for the frown icon, it wasn't about me, but rather my concern that this iteration of R.E.B.E.L.S. doesn't seem to be a smashing success so far, at least in terms of widespread reader interest and enthusiasm. However, speaking only for myself, I intend to stay the course for as long as the book is published.

But thanks for the kind words. Cheers! smile

#603777 06/19/09 10:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, the Durlan/Vril dynamic might be interesting, especially given Vril's history with Durlans.
She's a leader, too.
And she's a she.
That might be interesting, too.

Since Vril has Querl in his brain, does he have the sheild belt in his mind, as well?
I don't remember him using one before but it would surely shift the dynamics in his favor.
smile

Does anyone else recognize the body/sword ability from past Wildstorm, Marvel and Manga type characters?
Heck, even the Silver Slasher from the Legion?
Have we ever seem Cham do something like that?
Interesting.

Thanks for esplaining the frown, ML.
smile

I just huff and puff sometimes.
I'm with REBELS to the end, too.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603778 06/19/09 10:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
From what I've seen of the Sept. REBELS cover, the Omega Men are going to do some evolving!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603779 06/19/09 01:10 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Here's what I thought of the current issue

http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2009/06/rebels-5-ticking-over-nicely.html

I'm missing Andy Clarke's pencils though!

#603780 06/20/09 07:53 PM
OP Offline
Yes, Candle, it is a good thing that the Durlan is a strong female character. Personally, when she impaled that telepathic character the first precedent that came to mind was the liquid metal terminator, but that's just me. And I don't recall Cham ever doing anything similar, but then again, he's restrained by the Legion life-sancity code and his own sense of decency.

Ha! Ha! And your comparison of the Psions' facial expressions and Judge Judy is hilarious, BCoK.

#603781 06/27/09 02:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . Personally, when she impaled that telepathic character the first precedent that came to mind was the liquid metal terminator, but that's just me. . .
No, that's a great visual.

I knew I'd seen it in real life, somewhere.
IF you can call a movie 'real life'.
Maybe I should say in 'live action', instead.

But, the scene(s) were really done on a computer, so, maybe I should change my statement to 'computer simulated live action as realized in a movie'.

sigh
This summer vacation thing is really getting to me already, this year.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603782 07/08/09 10:35 PM
OP Offline
Well, R.E.B.E.L.S. no. 6 came out again today, and as usual, I liked the art. The only thing, though, is that the "group shot" on the last page of the story made me realize once again that many of the character designs need to be altered--including their costume colours--because as things stand they're a bit bland, as others have already noted in this thread.

This minor quibble aside, it was very nice to see so many Encyclopedia Galactica entires on so many of the DC universe's alien races. What's more, the feeling that the plot is really beginning to find its legs that began last issue continued in this one.

*** SPOILERS!

*** SPOILERS!

*** SPOILERS!

One thing that I liked in particular is the fact that Amon Hakk (the Khund) and Ciji (the Durlan) are clearly a part of the team now--for the moment, at least.

Indeed, I laughed out loud when Hakk tiredly rubbed his forehead and said, "I hate him so much I can't think straight," and Dox replied: "Yes, I get that a lot." Bwah ha ha hah!

As for Ciji, I continue to get a kick, for some reason, out of the fact that she generally manifests herself as a young girl, even though she's a cold-blooded killer.

In closing, I must say that I was also titilatted by the group shot of the team (who all had very determined looks on their faces) that closed the issue, with Dox saying, "...we're going to need more help."

Oh, yeah, there was one more thing that also pleased me this issue: the fact that Dox ordered: 1) Silica to self-destruct, and 2) his robo-sentinels to contain the Starro invaders in a force-field cordron. Hopefully, this will mean that sometime down the road (after Starro destroys the robo-sentinels in breaking their quarantine of Maltus and the Dominion homeworld) L.E.G.I.O.N. will be staffed by flesh-and-blood officers once again.

#603783 07/09/09 12:34 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . sometime down the road (after Starro destroys the robo-sentinels in breaking their quarantine of Maltus and the Dominion homeworld) L.E.G.I.O.N. will be staffed by flesh-and-blood officers once again.
You said LOTS of interesting things in your post, but I just have to shout an AMEN, to your statement above!

It is so Dox to want to use a big computer and robots, so that he thinks he has total control over everyone without any 'dramatics'.
sigh
At least 'people' would have put up a fuss of some sort when word came down to subjugate their clients.

The writer really knows his Vril.
lol

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,385
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP