Roll Call
0 members (), 28 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#598150 06/01/07 07:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by rtvu2:
You should listen the Johns interview on Newsarama. He speaks at length about Starman and the schizophrenia. It's pretty enlighting and sheds some insight to the whole thing.
Thanks for the heads up, rtvu2. It was an interesting interview but I heard nothing to change my mind about Johns' take on Starman. In fact, it sounds like Thom's going to become even more of a buffoon in the future.

Now that they've given schizophrenia to a Legionnaire who has no history of mental illness in any continuity, I dread to see what they plan to do with Brainy, Lightning Lad, Mon-El, Shrinking Violet, Element Lad and other Legionnaires who've had their emotional ups and downs.

#598151 06/01/07 07:36 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I find the schizophrenia thing rather disappointing, as well.

Beside being something that's completely ungrounded in any prior incarnation of the character, I would also hope that it's something that wouldn't be merely treatable, but curable by the 31st century.

#598152 06/01/07 07:40 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Is Star Boy the first schizophrenic Super-Hero?
The JSA's own Obsidian has also been noted to be schizophrenic, although his schizophrenia was first noted when he first turned evil. He apparently has it under control again.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#598153 06/01/07 11:43 PM
Leader
Leader
Something else else just occured to me. Maybe Karate Kid and Sensor Girl being on the same team is not the mistake we assume it to be.

Maybe something happened similar to Star Boy's cross-universe shunt happened, drawing Val, or Jekkie, or both, from the wrong timeframe. Maybe the reason the JLA has Val caged up in Countdown is to prevent him from trying to go back to the 31st century, since he's dead in the era his teammates are returning to, meaning his presence there might further corrupt the timeline, or some such nonsense I can't quite rap my brain around.

#598154 06/01/07 11:57 PM
wndola1 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Except bedard says he's not alone in his countdown arc

#598155 06/02/07 01:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
then has to be Triplicate Girl - she was seen on the Countdown poster, correct?

#598156 06/02/07 07:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Despite little annoying things (I agree about Thom's schizo thing-- why is this necessary?), I am still hearting this crossover!

Something else else like this was wAAAAAy overdue for the Legion!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#598157 06/02/07 01:06 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I find the schizophrenia thing rather disappointing, as well.

Beside being something that's completely ungrounded in any prior incarnation of the character, I would also hope that it's something that wouldn't be merely treatable, but curable by the 31st century.
It probably is curable by the 31st century. However, it looks to me like Thom's schizophrenia didn't make itself apparent until after he landed in the 21st century.

Watching television is not an activity.
#598158 06/02/07 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I am still hearting ...
Stop it! Stop it right now or I'm sending you to your room and canceling your cell phone.

wink

sigh

Three times, THREE times some kid's cell went off in class, while he tried to figure out how to turn the damn thing off. Then I caught him texting and took it. Five minutes later, I caught him again. He had borrowed a cell from a classmate.

sigh.

What was the topic?

#598159 06/02/07 05:31 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
OK, my current possible nominees for resurrection.

Valor
Although why Levitz era Legionnaires would be here to revive a reboot Valor would be yet another mystery.

Pocket Universe Superboy
It's been established that he's NOT "Superman when he was a boy" as we knew (or would have known) him. Pocket universe Superboy is a different character than the Superman that grew up on Earth in the DCU. Therefore he's not restricted from use as per the lawsuit by the Seigel family.

Kon-El, the Superboy who died just recently in Infinite Crisis
Maybe the Legionnaires are here to revive Superboy but don't realize that they have the wrong reality? The Time Bubbles no longer access the Pocket Universe and their trip back in time has dumped them out into the "real" historical DCU. However, if Conner is resurrected won't he remember the post-DnA Legion?

And of course there's always the possibility that they really are there to revive Superman of Earth II though as several here have stated that's unlikely. Interesting idea though, if they revive Kal-L will he have memories of yet a different Legion?

I gotta say the Lightning Lass idea is seriously cool. That would be a huge surprise.

So IMO they're there to find "their" Superboy even though that may not be possible. Would even the Monitors know where to find the Time Trapper's Pocket Universe?

Also, I'm with Lash. I'm hearting the heck out of this story.

#598160 06/02/07 06:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Something else else just occured to me. Maybe Karate Kid and Sensor Girl being on the same team is not the mistake we assume it to be.

Maybe something happened similar to Star Boy's cross-universe shunt happened, drawing Val, or Jekkie, or both, from the wrong timeframe. Maybe the reason the JLA has Val caged up in Countdown is to prevent him from trying to go back to the 31st century, since he's dead in the era his teammates are returning to, meaning his presence there might further corrupt the timeline, or some such nonsense I can't quite rap my brain around.
This was my intial thought as well. I think that's the biggest clue that something's horribly wrong. We know from DC repeated hitting us over the head that "Val" sticks around after this story to play a part in Countdown. Superman's also already said that time travel messes with their memory.

I don't think Val IS the seventh Legionnaire. in fact I don't think he should be there at all. Dream Girl's "death" vision will be resolved by having the others realising that Val's already dead and this "Val" is either from another Earth or is a time anomoly, which is why he can't return with them.

#598161 06/02/07 07:50 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Yeah, this issue says they're here to resurrect one of the "Big Three." It's also not Saturn Girl because they said she'd stop them.

So its almost certainly LL.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#598162 06/02/07 08:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
Yeah, this issue says they're here to resurrect one of the "Big Three." It's also not Saturn Girl because they said she'd stop them.

So its almost certainly LL.
confused

Clearly Val states that Lightning Lad would have joined them, if he knew what they were doing. It obviously has nothing to do with Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, or Colossal Boy. All of whom have been eliminated as possibilities.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

#598163 06/02/07 08:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I still say they're in the 20th Century to reconstruct Cyclops the Robot...

click to enlarge click to enlarge

#598164 06/02/07 08:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I might have missed it but do they say they are trying to bring back a dead Legionnaire if so why are they trying to do it in the 21st century.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#598165 06/02/07 08:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I took the Big Three comment to mean that the LSH needed those characters back in their 'home' time period, so they wouldn't be candidates for the lightning rod ritual. Not that one of them was the person to be resurrected.

I still think Earth-52 Superman will die in the next issue of the crossover and the LSH will swoop down, lightning rods in hand. If the weather doesn't cooperate, then it'll be a good thing that Black Lightning joined the JLA, won't it?

#598166 06/02/07 09:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
On memories and time travel-- could it be that Superman still doesn't know about Saturn Girl's old 'posthypnotic suggestions'? Maybe it's only *his* memory that's been affected... till now.

I think the team was probably 'blown' off course by Superboy-Prime's punches when they were en route to the 21st century.

Either that or Brainiac 5 sabotaged them-- <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> a group of Brainiacs is due to show up somewhere in the DCU, according to ACTION 850. </span></span>

Or the strangely absent trio of villains had something to do with it.

They really have a lot to address in one concluding issue of this crossover.

I'm getting the feeling that there's going to be some loose ends leading to a mini-series or a storyline in another title (I know about Karate Kid's upcoming storyline in COUNTDOWN-- maybe things'll continue there. It's been stated that 'he won't be alone'.)

#598167 06/02/07 09:08 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
D'oh!

"think four dimensionally"

You hit it Mystery Lad!
They're here to revive a Superman that isn't dead yet!
Great Ceasar's Ghost!!
Why didn't I think of that?

#598168 06/02/07 09:12 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Superman
Well he is a Legionnaire and he is in the 21st century which might explain why they are.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#598169 06/03/07 12:14 PM
Active
Active
this arc does seem rather slow. you have three big time villians and yet other than an occasional shot we don't really know what they are doing. as mentioned above the last issue is going to have to shoe horn in a lot of stuff.

I have said it before and I will say it again, this whole 52 earths all mixed together is confusing. wouldn't it be better to show these worlds on their own first , instead of just mixing everything into a left-over stew? without even defining these worlds we have all kinds of time streams intersecting. ugh. this reminds me why I don't have a lot of mainstream comics on my pull list.

I have a question for you long time legion fans: if this arc featured the current team, would you be enjoying it? or is the positive vibe mostly(only) because it features the old school members?

#598170 06/03/07 01:57 PM
Active
Active
I'd like to throw my two cents in. I think with 3 20th Century villians one of which is a time traveler, chances are the legionnaires are going to bring back Kal-L.

Fact: In the JSA preview for the upcoming year every panel has ties to the Lighting Saga, From the Arkaham shot, the Dawny Shot, the last shot which we have not seen is of Kal-L telling Power Girl we have work to do.

Fact: In Countdown we see Earth Two Huntress holding up a paper saying the 2 Kryptoninans were still missing. ( makes me think Kal & Kara maybe going home in the near future).

Speculation: I believe that the reason we don't know what The Ultra Humanite, Per Degaton, and Despero are up to is because they are working for the one guy who may be behind this mess....

The Time Trapper.

Who's to say that this Legion has been in constant battle with villians from the 20th century brought there by TT. (which would explain the It's a dangerous time for Superman in the 31st Century) The only way to stop it is to bring out Kal-L. I know there are holes in my theory but i'm in the Kal-l camp.

I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)
#598171 06/03/07 02:37 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
OK, my current possible nominees for resurrection.

Pocket Universe [b]Superboy

It's been established that he's NOT "Superman when he was a boy" as we knew (or would have known) him. Pocket universe Superboy is a different character than the Superman that grew up on Earth in the DCU. Therefore he's not restricted from use as per the lawsuit by the Seigel family.

Kon-El, the Superboy who died just recently in Infinite Crisis
Maybe the Legionnaires are here to revive Superboy but don't realize that they have the wrong reality? The Time Bubbles no longer access the Pocket Universe and their trip back in time has dumped them out into the "real" historical DCU. However, if Conner is resurrected won't he remember the post-DnA Legion?[/b]
Unfortunately, that's not the case. According to the judgement, any character named "Superboy" falls under the purview of the Siegel family's trademark. The Superboy character that Siegel originally pitched was itself not "Superman as a boy" but a super-powered youth operating at the same time as Superman as sort of a super prankster. DC used the name and not the concept to create their Superboy. There's a lot more legal weirdness involved, but the upshot is that, at present, DC can't publish comics featuring any character named "Superboy" without risking infringing the Siegel's trademark. Note that I said "risking." Kon-el, Superboy-Prime, or the Pocket Universe Superboy might not infringe the trademark, but DC would probably end up in court regardless and as they're currently preparing for the appeal of the Siegel case, I think they'll be trying to avoid any bumps in the road.

#598172 06/03/07 06:59 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmmm,
That seemed to me the simple way around the restrictions. Of course they could always just pony up a little bit of royalty cash and use Superboy anyway but I really don't see that happening any time soon.

#598173 06/03/07 08:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
little bit of royalty cash
I'm thinking, "little bit" isn't part of the equation or there probably wouldn't have been a lawsuit.

#598174 06/03/07 08:36 PM
Leader
Leader
It seems so ludicrous to me that DC can't publish Superboy anymore after doing so for 60 years. !#$%$%@ Lawyers.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP