Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#598175 06/03/07 09:34 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
It seems so ludicrous to me that DC can't publish Superboy anymore after doing so for 60 years. !#$%$%@ Lawyers.
Well than maybe DC should have treated their creators better.

Greedy Corporations!

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#598176 06/03/07 09:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually, I think DC is one of the best in regards to the issue of creator rights/royalties. It's an act of pettiness not to reach an agreement. The only reason why "Superboy" is the issue is because some judge in the past decided that "Superboy should belong to the Siegel's" and "Superman" belongs to DC. It's an arbitrary and ridiculous form of judgment.

Most of "Superman's" popularity is the result of marketing pushes by DC, as well as the work of other non-Siegel/Shuster creators.

And the fact that the creator himself never went to the extent that his heirs are in squeezing money out of DC. It just looks to be done out of a some sort of bullying tactic and I've lost all respect for the Siegel's and their "cause."

#598177 06/03/07 10:28 PM
Active
Active
Now, yes DC is much better than most. It was Richard Donner in 1978 who helped change the corporate attitude at DC and give the creators more rights. The 'superboy' issue is the cause of leftover bad blood going back to TV rights in the 50's and your right, the creator was content with the earlier settlement and had allowed superboy to be used. It is only the offspring, unwilling to work for a living, that have caused the currant problems.

Had the publishers not usurped the characters when their creators went off to war the issue might not have ever come up. Of course we would also have, IMO, missed out on the stupidity of creator owned 'investment' books of the 80's and the overall industry MIGHT be a little more healthy.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#598178 06/04/07 08:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Malvolio:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b] I find the schizophrenia thing rather disappointing, as well.

Beside being something that's completely ungrounded in any prior incarnation of the character, I would also hope that it's something that wouldn't be merely treatable, but curable by the 31st century.
It probably is curable by the 31st century. However, it looks to me like Thom's schizophrenia didn't make itself apparent until after he landed in the 21st century. [/b]
I’m sorry that they had to make Thom Schizophrenic as the effects of the time travel and spending time in the Kingdom Come universe may, of itself, been enough to cause him a mental breakdown. Sort of a nod to the shell shock of the Great War?

However and here I am going from memory as the comic is at home and I’m at work, I thought it had been made clear that Thom’s condition (which was caused by his hospitalisation following the gaining of his powers) was completely under control in the 31st century and to all intents and purposes “cured” as long as treatment continued. It is only the barbaric medicines and treatments available in the past that has led to a relapse.

Faithfull
#598179 06/04/07 10:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
What I find puzzling is that Superman remembers THAT Legion. Does that mean that the boring Legion in SATLOSH is from another of the 52 Earths?

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#598180 06/04/07 10:50 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Actually, I think DC is one of the best in regards to the issue of creator rights/royalties. It's an act of pettiness not to reach an agreement. The only reason why "Superboy" is the issue is because some judge in the past decided that "Superboy should belong to the Siegel's" and "Superman" belongs to DC. It's an arbitrary and ridiculous form of judgment.

Most of "Superman's" popularity is the result of marketing pushes by DC, as well as the work of other non-Siegel/Shuster creators.

And the fact that the creator himself never went to the extent that his heirs are in squeezing money out of DC. It just looks to be done out of a some sort of bullying tactic and I've lost all respect for the Siegel's and their "cause."
I don't think that's exactly how it worked. Michael at the Legion Omnicom has, somewhere, an explanation of all the issues involved in the Superboy thing; search his site for the details. But as I recall, it worked like this:

DC did rip the Superboy idea off from Siegel in the '40s. They later settled with him, and bought the copyright.

But then there was some kind of new law introduced in the '70s or something that said that any such copyrights that had been sold would revert to their original owners after such and such time. And that's what happened here: DC had been legally using Superboy for decades, but then the copyright reverted to the Siegel estate. I think DC is appealing that interpretation, or something, and that's what the fight's about.

But I may have that a bit wrong.

#598181 06/04/07 11:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tromium:
Originally posted by rtvu2:
[b] You should listen the Johns interview on Newsarama. He speaks at length about Starman and the schizophrenia. It's pretty enlighting and sheds some insight to the whole thing.
Thanks for the heads up, rtvu2. It was an interesting interview but I heard nothing to change my mind about Johns' take on Starman. In fact, it sounds like Thom's going to become even more of a buffoon in the future.

Now that they've given schizophrenia to a Legionnaire who has no history of mental illness in any continuity, I dread to see what they plan to do with Brainy, Lightning Lad, Mon-El, Shrinking Violet, Element Lad and other Legionnaires who've had their emotional ups and downs.[/b]
No probelm Tromium. I am sorry to see that the interview didn't change your mind.

Lets wait and see what happens at the end.

#598182 06/04/07 11:26 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:

However and here I am going from memory as the comic is at home and I’m at work, I thought it had been made clear that Thom’s condition (which was caused by his hospitalisation following the gaining of his powers) was completely under control in the 31st century and to all intents and purposes “cured” as long as treatment continued. It is only the barbaric medicines and treatments available in the past that has led to a relapse.
Well, yeah, it was implied they could control it with 31st century medicine. But, as I understand it, we pretty much have the medical technology to keep (most cases of) schizophrenia under control now. I would think that by the 31st century you could just hop under the sanity-ray or something and they'd fix your brain right up without need for ongoing treatment.

#598183 06/04/07 12:14 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Thom must have been an extreme case even for the 31st century. Wildfire mentions he was in a hospital for *years*.

As traumatic as the hospitalization might have been, it's doubtful the schizophrenia was caused by this experience. My impression is the emergence of his gravity powers affected both his body and his mind, which would explain the difficulty in treating him.

I assume (from what I've read about the next arc) that Starman belongs to Geoff Johns now and for the foreseeable future, so I doubt we'll see a full recovery any time soon. Imo, he's better off as a black, bomb-ignoring babe magnet.

#598184 06/04/07 12:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Well, yeah, it was implied they could control it with 31st century medicine. But, as I understand it, we pretty much have the medical technology to keep (most cases of) schizophrenia under control now. I would think that by the 31st century you could just hop under the sanity-ray or something and they'd fix your brain right up without need for ongoing treatment.
In light of the recent Tuberculosis story and Anthrax scares post-9/11, I wouldn't be so sure.

Just spouting off.
#598185 06/04/07 12:27 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
But TB and Antrhax are infectious diseases. It's true there will probably always be viruses/germs that we can't conquer, simply because they evolve/adapt over time.

Schizophrenia is matter of something being broken in your brain. One would think that our knowledge of how brains work will have advanced to the point that we can fix whatever's wrong with it in 1000 years.

#598186 06/04/07 12:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, considering it took Brainy like 20-something years to come up with a permanent cure for Mon-El's lead poisoning, maybe 31st Century medicine isn't all it's cracked up to be wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#598187 06/04/07 12:35 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The funny thing is that if they just said he suffered from "incurable space fatigue" or some other thus far completely unknown medical condition of the future, I'd be perfectly happy!

#598188 06/04/07 01:53 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Maybe he's got a dream-STD... eek shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#598189 06/04/07 04:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gonodreama

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#598190 06/04/07 09:03 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
My collected thoughts on the crossover are here .

#598191 06/04/07 09:54 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:
My collected thoughts on the crossover are here .
thanks. that was an excellent blog entry.

#598192 06/04/07 10:19 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Crujectra of Psyonia:
Gonodreama
As long as it's not Zzzyphilis... eek faint

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#598193 06/05/07 08:26 AM
Active
Active
I love it. I am not real worried about the details, I like this Legion. I like this story. To me it is the Pre-Crisis Legion...the Pre Crisis Legion had it's share of small retcons before Crisis ever occurred. The original Legion was a very much a work assembled on the fly.

Thoughts..
On Superman's name gone bad in the 31st century - <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Superboy Prime anyone? He is a multiversal level villian, he shares a name with a former Legionaire, who just so happened to represent Superman's name</span></span>

On Karate Kid - <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It seems like they went back in time and saved him, in fact he mentions them saving him, perhaps they altered the past? In an attempt to undo Darkseid's curse piece by piece? Perhaps that is why they are in the 21st century now? To undo the events that lead to them even facing Darkseid? Or something similar? </span></span>

On who they might be bringing back with the Lightning Rods - <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Since they showed a preview of Kal-l's hand coming up out of a grave...he's seems likely. But what about Barry Allen? What if the Legion in W&K Legion #15 was this same Legion? They are shown going back in time to save him...that might be something this Legion did in the new multiverse, it would make sense. Maybe it's someone who hasn't died...yet? </span></span>

Dawnstar's sexuality - <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Would a gender preference be a big deal by the 31st century? One would hope it wouldn't...to me they should just go ahead and let her have the relationship without any of the other Legionaires even thinking twice about it being with the same gender, the only one that should be bothered is Wildfire, and that's just out of plain old jealousy. Besides, it's not like he really has a gender himself. But a Lesbian relationship? Should be positively old fashioned in the 31st century. I mean think about it...even Pre-Crisis - interspecies marriages between aliens happened from time to time...a same gender/species relationship is absolutely primitive compared to that. Should be no big deal if you think about it, to them. I think the Legion should stay away from contemporary issues, it dates the book. I like positive, socially advanced Legion. They should be long past many of the social issues we have now...having encountered so many aliens, humanoids differences/quirks/preferences should be absolutely miniscule on the social relevance scale. In fact it would make sense if they ever cited Superman's time in the 30th century as an influence on his ultra tolerant and accepting attitude in the 21st century. It could have a tremendous impact in shaping his entire philosophy on where he needs to intervene, and his overall view of the human race.</span></span>

Anyway...I am thrilled with this Legion. I hope they do something with it so the fans that loved it can have their Legion.

#598194 06/05/07 12:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Superboy, I agree Legion should avoid contemporary issues and maladies. smile

Good point of Superman having a progressive view because of his time spent in the future.

I like your Karate Kid theory. I am just not sure why Superman stated that Starboy used to be a member of the Legion but got kicked out. Superman knew him after he rejoined.

#598195 06/05/07 03:55 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I'm just new to the board and I hope I'm not messing anyone up with my posting. It is just some thoughts on the current Lighting Sage in the JLA/JSA. I must say that I love the Lighting Saga and some of the secrets it is hiding. In JSA #5 Superman states "Each one in custom from an adventure they wanted me to remember them by." This would allow the Legion to appear in different costumes without a continuum problem. Would they have visited Kal-el one by one or as a group? The former would allow deceased Legionnaires a chance to say good-bye before their death.
The use of "Lighting Lad" as the code-word and the mission to bring someone back from the dead a brilliant tip to the old Lighting Lad Adventure Story. Who will die? If Sensor/Projectra dies, why would Karate Kid go back to the 31st century or if it was Dream Girl, would that cause Thom to stay? Thom tricking Colossal Boy and taking his place JSA #6 for this mission: this leaves an open door! An most important, who is the one that set-up up all the Legionniare's in this story? Putting them in these private hells as Batman told Karate Kid in JLA #9? Someone with enough power to brainwash a Legionniare and be able to transport one to the Polaris System (Hawkworld) and another into Gorilla City. I'm so excited my old friend's are back!

#598196 06/05/07 04:04 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Welcome to Legion World Marek.

There is a thread for the Lightning Saga. You might want to post your questions there. and read some of the comments made in that thread.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#598197 06/05/07 04:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Karate Kid thoughts and comments...

He says the founders saved him? Did he somehow escape death from the Nemesis Kid via time travel? Did the founders go back in time to save him?

Why is he appearing in Countdown so much? Is he an anomaly?

Anyone else think he's the one that is going to get sacraficed? Maybe that's how this KK dies?

#598198 06/05/07 05:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Karate Kid thoughts and comments...
He says the founders saved him? Did he somehow escape death from the Nemesis Kid via time travel? Did the founders go back in time to save him?
My guess is the latter. They found a way to save him.

Why is he appearing in Countdown so much? Is he an anomaly?

Anyone else think he's the one that is going to get sacrificed? Maybe that's how this KK dies?
There seems to be the notion that some people 'shouldn't be alive anyway' among some of the Monitor dudes, so it's possible that Val is one of these anomalies. But the Legion is all about cheating such things (which was kinda the whole theme of the original lightning rod story, not accepting Lightning Lad's death and finding a way to cheat it), so it would be very in-genre and in-theme for the Legion to find a way to get back home and still manage to 'keep' the temporal anomaly. People who want to clean up the timeline, like the Time Trapper, never seem to be up to any good anyway...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#598199 06/05/07 06:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:

Anyone else think he's the one that is going to get sacraficed? Maybe that's how this KK dies?
I don't think so, in fact, the impression I get is that both Johns and Metzler are Karate Kid Fans and didn't want him killed in the first place...a lot of people weren't particularly thrilled with the decision to kill him off originally, no matter how well it was done...he'd always been one of the most popular Legionaires from his original appearance...he was elected Leader once, he was the first Legionaire to have his own solo series...

Metzler and Johns have both mentioned they think it's cool that he outclasses Batman as a fighter yet is basically only 20 or so years old. This KK was the greatest hth fighter in the Pre-Crisis DC Universe...I think that's why he's back.

I think the Legionaire that is going to get killed is probably Sensor Girl, Dream Girl or Wildfire...hopefully it's Wildfire...and hopefully it will be what usually happens to him(containment suit issues).

We just got them back...I'm not ready to see one of them die again.

Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP