Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#598125 06/01/07 09:21 AM
Active
Active
im with the theory that it's ayla i think i beat you into saying that heee...it would make sense since everyone involved is a couple of some sort the some sort is defintely Dawny and Drake...damn it feels good saying there names again like that...how long has it been???? I just hope this legion sticks around and no one dies!!!!!!!

Bring back the super-cousins
#598126 06/01/07 09:22 AM
Leader
Leader
Ayla can't be the one they're seeking to revive because it's already been established that they came back to save "him."

Ayla always had red hair, though it was usually shown more reddish blonde than it was here, similar to Sun Boy's hair in the same panel. She wasn't shown as a blonde until Grell came along.

Besides, if the suicide mission turned into a quadruple date, it would just be silly imo. And Wildfire and Dawnstar were not really an official couple, though they were close companions.

I agree that no one would let his/her lover go on a suicide mission.

What bugs me, and I can't believe nobody else has commented on it, is how can Wildfire be subject to electrocution if he's made of anti-energy? He's been shown absorbing energy from Lightning Lad and other energy sources many times in the past. Also, how can he have Red Tornado's body if he's made of anti-energy?

Projectra wasn't a member yet in the days of Triplicate Girl/Computo, which makes it curious that she would choose that scenario as an illusion to hide behind. I know, I know, this isn't exactly the same Legion we knew, but some assumptions have to be drawn. GOD, I HATE REBOOTS! Nobody knows anything for certain anymore about anybody in the whole DC universe!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#598127 06/01/07 09:22 AM
Active
Active
and what about The Creeper wasnt he made schizopheric too?

#598128 06/01/07 09:41 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Ayla can't be the one they're seeking to revive because it's already been established that they came back to save "him."
Besides, if the suicide mission turned into a quadruple date, it would just be silly imo.
You are right. I started thinking something along those lines once my adrenalin levels went down a little bit.

#598129 06/01/07 09:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Besides, if the suicide mission turned into a quadruple date, it would just be silly imo...

I agree that no one would let his/her lover go on a suicide mission.
Which is why I expected Tasmia instead.

#598130 06/01/07 09:49 AM
Active
Active
yeah but it would be ironic that its nearly all the original couples of the legion pre 5 year gap and stuff who were together again.

dawny and drake only got back together at the end then got seperated with zero hour.

at the very end (due to starboy's wife disappearing and all) that he and dreamy got back together again.

Jeckie and Val were sort of always together since she could talk to him under her medium power but just not in the physical sense.

and we know ayla and brin broke up for good post GDS...and defintely in the 5 year gap she was all about Vi.

#598131 06/01/07 10:36 AM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Is Star Boy the first schizophrenic Super-Hero?
Isn't the Creeper mentally unbalanced in some way, too?

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#598132 06/01/07 11:11 AM
Deputy
Deputy
What's the deal with Geoff Johns and his prediliction for characters with mental illness -- Cyclone, Damage and now Starman?

I for one *hate* that they made Starman schizophrenic. His ramblings and ravings were mildly amusing at first but I think you'll agree chronic mental illness is no laughing matter. It's an idiotic and unnecessary change (Thom doesn't need a ruptured psyche to be interesting), and insulting to the victims of the disease.

Dream Girl's "I love you, too" looked and sounded like pity. I don't get the impression she's in love with him. Hugs, no kisses.

I enjoyed the Triplicate Girl illusion but the rest of it left me scratching my head. Roughly one-third of the Legion disappears from the 31st century for at least a month and it's supposed to go unnoticed by their teammates?? If this was any version of the Legion except the Levitz doppelgangers, people would be ranting how dumb the premise is. You know it's true.

#598133 06/01/07 11:27 AM
Active
Active
There's one line on page 5 where Val speaking about Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad says "They risked their lives to save me". Does that mean they prevented his death?

#598134 06/01/07 11:31 AM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Just because they spend a month in the 21st century doesn't mean that they're missing for a month in the 30th or 31st. They could return only seconds after they left. Like Doc Brown said in Back to the Future, "You have to think fourth dimensionally."

And I like having Starman schizophrenic. Mike Baron's Badger character has multiple personality disorder and is one of the most fun characters ever. Oh, and what about Rose and the Thorn? I know MPD and schizophrenia are not the same thing, but they are both serious mental disorders that can still be joked about, if done with respect.

Watching television is not an activity.
#598135 06/01/07 11:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Malvolio:
Just because they spend a month in the 21st century doesn't mean that they're missing for a month in the 30th or 31st. They could return only seconds after they left. Like Doc Brown said in Back to the Future, "You have to think fourth dimensionally."
This is one thing that has bugged me about time travel in any medium, including the Legion and the new toon. We have what are supposed to be kids (okay, maybe not the Levitz version) who go time traveling for six months or more and then return at the point in time that they left. Okay, that I can grasp. But what about their physical appearance? A teen can change a lot in just a couple of months (ask my nephew) let alone six months or more. How does that not really become an impact on them mentally and/or physically?

It seems to me that "time lag" would make jet lag feel like a walk in the park.

#598136 06/01/07 11:41 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by googoomuck:
There's one line on page 5 where Val speaking about Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad says "They risked their lives to save me". Does that mean they prevented his death?
Prevented it or reversed it -- we don't know yet.

#598137 06/01/07 11:55 AM
Active
Active
we never have the age thing sorted out with superboy and we know he had at times long term stays in the 30th century...just think how long was he reflecto.

#598138 06/01/07 12:36 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tromium:
I for one *hate* that they made Starman schizophrenic. His ramblings and ravings were mildly amusing at first but I think you'll agree chronic mental illness is no laughing matter. It's an idiotic and unnecessary change (Thom doesn't need a ruptured psyche to be interesting), and insulting to the victims of the disease.
I don't think that Johns is treating schizophrenia here as a laughing matter at all, as a matter of fact I think he is being very respectful. So why do you think having a schizophrenic superhero is insulting to the victims of the disease? To me this situation is similar to what we have with Oracle or maybe Daredevil: people with severe problems, be it physical or mental, being portrayed as capable persons that are able to make a difference. I think it's quite an homage, actually.

#598139 06/01/07 12:38 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Did anyone catch <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> the fact that NIGHT GIRL is a full-fledged member of this Legion? And that 'glorious' Sun Boy is missing? Or at least was missing at the time this sampling of Legionnaires entered the time-stream? </span></span>

The Sandman/Dream Girl exchange caught my eye, too. Interesting on a couple of levels, given these two personalities.
Mystery Lad...not sure we can take that as fact since it's schizo Thom who makes that statement.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#598140 06/01/07 12:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
This is one thing that has bugged me about time travel in any medium, including the Legion and the new toon. We have what are supposed to be kids (okay, maybe not the Levitz version) who go time traveling for six months or more and then return at the point in time that they left. Okay, that I can grasp. But what about their physical appearance? A teen can change a lot in just a couple of months (ask my nephew) let alone six months or more. How does that not really become an impact on them mentally and/or physically?

It seems to me that "time lag" would make jet lag feel like a walk in the park.
Which is what bothers me about OYL and the current Countdown. Won't the Teen Titans be all grown up in this real time stunt?

#598141 06/01/07 12:49 PM
Active
Active
Loved, loved, loved

That the 3 Durgo girls

Got to be a part of this storyline

If only virtually.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#598142 06/01/07 01:04 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Doctor One:
I don't think that Johns is treating schizophrenia here as a laughing matter at all, as a matter of fact I think he is being very respectful. So why do you think having a schizophrenic superhero is insulting to the victims of the disease? To me this situation is similar to what we have with Oracle or maybe Daredevil: people with severe problems, be it physical or mental, being portrayed as capable persons that are able to make a difference. I think it's quite an homage, actually.
Why? Because if you read the boards the primary appeal of Starman seems to be what a crazy, funny guy he is. He *is* most definitely a laughing matter among others reader and, in this issue, an object of pity. He wasn't even invited to the suicide ritual. He crashed the party in order to be near Dream Girl.

I'm not objecting in principle to heroes with mental illness, but this specific depiction blows. If you have loved ones who struggle every single day of their lives against the ravages of chronic mental disease, I doubt you'd consider sloppy joes and puddings a respectful homage to them.

#598143 06/01/07 01:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Tromium:
Originally posted by Doctor One:
[b]I don't think that Johns is treating schizophrenia here as a laughing matter at all, as a matter of fact I think he is being very respectful. So why do you think having a schizophrenic superhero is insulting to the victims of the disease? To me this situation is similar to what we have with Oracle or maybe Daredevil: people with severe problems, be it physical or mental, being portrayed as capable persons that are able to make a difference. I think it's quite an homage, actually.
Why? Because if you read the boards the primary appeal of Starman seems to be what a crazy, funny guy he is. He *is* most definitely a laughing matter among others reader and, in this issue, an object of pity. He wasn't even invited to the suicide ritual. He crashed the party in order to be near Dream Girl.

I'm not objecting in principle to heroes with mental illness, but this specific depiction blows. If you have loved ones who struggle every single day of their lives against the ravages of chronic mental disease, I doubt you'd consider sloppy joes and puddings a respectful homage to them.[/b]
Everyone did like him because he was crazy, but everyone thought it was becasue of the time travel and whatnot. Now that we know he does have schizophrenia, all his scenes now have a great sadness about them. He knows he is sick but he can't do anything about it really. It makes him a tragic heoric chracter, yet he is still a hero and still saves lives. And he voulntered to go with the other 6 but was not given medical clearance by B5. Lets get that straight. He wanted to be there knowing the full dangers of what was going to happen.

You should listen the Johns interview on Newsarama. He speaks at length about Starman and the schizophrenia. It's pretty enlighting and sheds some insight to the whole thing.

#598144 06/01/07 01:23 PM
A
Active
Active
A
I really like this plot. It's so nice to see individual legionnaires as competent instead of as oafs. I also like the added dimension of Thom's mental instability and how it plays with his relationship with Dream Girl. Likely, she isn't passionately kissing him because she knows he's frustrated. To comfort someone you love, you hug them. To get them more aggitated, you passionately kiss them.

I don't like, though, what Dawnstar had to say about the future they come from. It sounds fairly bleak if Superman wouldn't even appreciate what's become of his name and the legion's continued existence is in doubt.

I'm also doubtful about the future of the group itself. Future solcits make it sound like Karate Kid and Starman are going to stick around in this century. So, I worry if any of them are going to get home.

As far as the remaining mystery, it looks as though the group is splitting up in the last panel. Maybe they're out to reanimate seven different folks? But, then, they only indicated that one of them would die. Maybe there are seven different possible locations for the body? Or some folks are only decoys? Seems like the one to die would have to have already been chosen in that case. I'm looking forward to the next issue, if not the fact that the conclusion will just leave me with the other LSH title.

#598145 06/01/07 03:02 PM
Leader
Leader
I think the "four couples" theory is out the window, if only because Colossol Boy originally was meant to be on this mission, not Star Boy.

I'm not sure what, if anything, that portends for this story.

Also, recall that Star Boy spent an extended amount of time on one parellel Earth, and may have seen more in his shunt through the multiverse. There's no guarentee that the induction of Night Girl, or the loss of Sun Boy, are necessarily historical facts for this Legion.

I agree that in order for Sensor Girl and Karate Kid to be on the same team, Val needs to have not died in this Legion's reality, or else was somehow revived.

Most of the goofier tid bits have come on Metzger's half of this tale. I think the Wildfire in Reddy's body was an attempt at something that will not be resolved during this story, or ever referred to again. Same with Dawny's special friend on Thanagar.

We may recall that "The Lightning Saga" is based on the original Seven Soldiers/JLA/JSA crossover. In that story, the final sacrafice was made by Wing, and unofficial eighth soldier. I suspect that same will happen here. Who might that eighth Legionnaire be? A reservist perhaps?

Also, I am intruged by the fact that, per Countdown, both Star Man and Karate Kid get left behind in the 21st century. However, for some reason, nutjob Thom is allowed to roam free with Val gets locked up. Is there a clue there as to how this story will end?

#598146 06/01/07 03:53 PM
Active
Active
hmmm i just had a thought....that Variant (hmmm i feel like The Progenitor now) Cover of the latest JSA issue... did anyone else piece together that it has 2 of the Female Leaders (chairwomen) of the JSA and JLA on it and then there's Dream Girl...is she Legion Leader you think ???? which would make kinda sense but i know they're all blonde too but u know....they could go deeper than just blondeness for the cover.

#598147 06/01/07 04:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well I also think this may not be the same Legion that this Superman knew. He did mention a certain sadness about Karate Kid. He may not want to say the Kid he knew is dead because of the time travel stuff. He knows they are pretty much the same as his Legion and trusts them but I don't think he will get into details.

#598148 06/01/07 04:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
hmmm i just had a thought....that Variant (hmmm i feel like The Progenitor now) Cover of the latest JSA issue... did anyone else piece together that it has 2 of the Female Leaders (chairwomen) of the JSA and JLA on it and then there's Dream Girl...is she Legion Leader you think ???? which would make kinda sense but i know they're all blonde too but u know....they could go deeper than just blondeness for the cover.
You may be the only one that believes that cover may have hidden depth. tongue

#598149 06/01/07 06:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
We may recall that "The Lightning Saga" is based on the original Seven Soldiers/JLA/JSA crossover. In that story, the final sacrafice was made by Wing, and unofficial eighth soldier. I suspect that same will happen here. Who might that eighth Legionnaire be? A reservist perhaps?
Great, great point Pofo. I totally didn't think of that, and I think you're most likely spot-on.

Also, I agree that Meltzer's half of the story has some of the goofier tidbits which will most likely never be followed up on. He does it in all of his comic stories. Its his way of getting across the 'shared universe & history concept' though its usually never followed up on. Think the Vixen/Question romance he created/mentioned/never mentioned again. I doubt we'll ever know about that. Frankly, nothing coming from him is canon unless revisited later.

Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University