Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 33 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#597875 04/26/07 09:02 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Chemical King and Tyroc are missing for, I believe, no particular reason. (It was Chemical King's omission that I predicted would make a few people lose their blob; I hadn't noticed that Tyroc wasn't there until someone else pointed it out.) There are two Wildfires for a reason explained in the comic book.

#597876 04/26/07 09:25 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
Uh, where is Shrinking Violet?

And why does Chameleon Boy look like he's suffering from gastrointestinal illness? Anything to do with the fact Vi was in the sens-tank and Cham in prison during the GDS?

Wow, I have to say some of those old costumes look mighty cheesy now. Sun Boy, the bathing beauties, men in pale scarlet. Ye gads. God bless Dave Cockrum but I don't think he ever intended Wildfire or Timber Wolf to retain the same appearance for 35 years.

I appreciate what Meltzer and Johns are trying to do by defining a place for the Legion in the DCU, but I hope they don't undermine their own effort with backwards-looking nostalgia. Legion diehards aren't the only ones reading this story, and I hope they don't look hopelessly outdated to other readers.
most of the guys look cheesy, but the bathing beauties look, that never goes out of style. va-va-voom! smile

by the way who's the guy with the Pepe le pew strip in his hair?

#597877 04/26/07 09:43 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by wamu2:

That would be Jacques Foccart, the second Invisible Kid. He got that white streak when the Legion fought Darkseid, and he was so scared his hair changed color! Because, you know, black people spook easily and stuff.

His other notable feature was that he was from French-speaking Africa, and so would randomly insert bits of high school French into his dialogue to remind us of that at every opportunity. Kind of like the way El Dorado from the Superfriends always seemed to forget the simplest English words and replace them with their Spanish equivalents.

You've got to appreciate the intent of early attempts by comic writers to insert diversity into their books, but a lot of it seems really embarassing in retrospect.

#597878 04/26/07 10:10 AM
Leader
Leader
Ferro Lad never wore gloves. Just the double (sometimes triple) red wrist bands.

Light Lass's costume is the one that's messed up the worst imo. They left off her belt and the side stripe, leaving her costume really drab looking.

What is Star Girl looking at in the little window at the base of the statues? Are those Legion figurines? That would seem redundant but they sort of look like human figures.

Shrinking Violet was robbed of her own statue.

I loved the art for the most part. Put this guy on the Legion book, dammit!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#597879 04/26/07 10:16 AM
Leader
Leader
I think having each statue in its own pose looks kind of silly and disjointed though. I liked the way they showed the Legion figures in the Silver Age, where they were each standing at attention. It had a much more unifying effect when seeing the statues together as a group. IMHO of course.

#597880 04/26/07 10:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the artist messed up. Polar Boy, Blok, and Sensor Girl are there in their latest costumes though it appears they weren't wearing these in the time frame they are suggesting.

It can explain a few things. Why no Quislet or Tellus atleast. Also Condo and Tyroc should be there. Maybe there are more statues somewhere. smile

#597881 04/26/07 10:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]
That would be Jacques Foccart, the second Invisible Kid. He got that white streak when the Legion fought Darkseid, and he was so scared his hair changed color! Because, you know, black people spook easily and stuff.

His other notable feature was that he was from French-speaking Africa, and so would randomly insert bits of high school French into his dialogue to remind us of that at every opportunity. Kind of like the way El Dorado from the Superfriends always seemed to forget the simplest English words and replace them with their Spanish equivalents.

You've got to appreciate the intent of early attempts by comic writers to insert diversity into their books, but a lot of it seems really embarassing in retrospect.[/b]
Hey I learned German from Nightcrawler, Russian from Colossus, and french from Jacques (and later Gambit mon cheri)! wink

I am happy Jacques is there. smile I was always a fan and became a bigger fan in v4.

(edit note: Batroc the Leaper was another french teacher of mine! LOL!)

#597882 04/26/07 10:46 AM
Active
Active
[b]
[/b]
please tell me you are joking about the whole hair turned white due to being scared of Darkseid. on the other hand the legion did fight Hitler in the body of a robot, so why should I doubt the hair thing. smile

as for Ultra Jorge's language skills. I can only say sacre bleu!

#597883 04/26/07 11:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The costumes are supposed to be from various eras as explained by Superman, but (even with Blok) I don't see why any of them look more dated than Superman's or Batman's.

I love each of the costumes.

#597884 04/26/07 11:06 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
please tell me you are joking about the whole hair turned white due to being scared of Darkseid. on the other hand the legion did fight Hitler in the body of a robot, so why should I doubt the hair thing. smile
No, that's pretty literally what happens. As a rookie Legionaire, he follows one of Darkseid's servants back to the lair of its master, and when he encounters the big bad, he's left so frightened by the experience that it leaves a permanent white streak in his hair.

He's actually not a bad character. It's just kind of funny that he was brought in as the new token black Legionnaire because Levitz didn't care for the "angry black youth" stereotype that Tyroc represented, and yet he has this tendency to fall into equally questionable stereotypes.

#597885 04/26/07 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't understand the inculsion of Polar Boy, Sensor Girl and Blok. But I feel that everything will be explained later on. Especially with 52 coming to an end I think everything will make 'perfect' sense.

#597886 04/26/07 11:21 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
[b]please tell me you are joking about the whole hair turned white due to being scared of Darkseid. on the other hand the legion did fight Hitler in the body of a robot, so why should I doubt the hair thing. smile
No, that's pretty literally what happens. As a rookie Legionaire, he follows one of Darkseid's servants back to the lair of its master, and when he encounters the big bad, he's left so frightened by the experience that it leaves a permanent white streak in his hair.

He's actually not a bad character. It's just kind of funny that he was brought in as the new token black Legionnaire because Levitz didn't care for the "angry black youth" stereotype that Tyroc represented, and yet he has this tendency to fall into equally questionable stereotypes.[/b]
Aw. I liked Jacques .

#597887 04/26/07 11:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Personally, I can find aspects that I like about each of the Legionnaires (and most of the supporting cast) as well as stuff I dislike.

But the key part is there is stuff to like about them all.

#597888 04/26/07 12:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge click to enlarge

#597889 04/26/07 12:20 PM
Applicant
Applicant
You've got to appreciate the intent of early attempts by comic writers to insert diversity into their books, but a lot of it seems really embarassing in retrospect.
I agree, but almost all of the legionaires started as stereotypes of some kind and then they evolved into more complex characters with time. I just think it's sad that a thousand years into the future and spanning an entire universe and some extra-dimensions that the legion is still an almost all white cast. Don't get me wrong, I love the legion, I grew up with them, but as a person of color that was always very noticeable and inferiorating. I just wish they would use someone like Tyroc, and just give him a chance to evolve. I mean, look at Luke Cage, who started out as the same kind of stereotyped black man. Now he's one of Marvel's most interesting characters, IMO.
But aside from Tyroc's absence, I am so psyched to see the legion i love again! Can't wait to see how this all works out. I hope they are here to stay.

#597890 04/26/07 12:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
El Dorado

That's pretty much the funniest write-up of him, ever. The Apache Chief and Flash and Superman and Aquaman write-ups are also a hoot at that site. (And by a hoot, I mean that I had to wipe my eyes, I was laughing so hard!)

Light Lass's costume is the one that's messed up the worst imo. They left off her belt and the side stripe, leaving her costume really drab looking.
I'm more spun by the posture. Ayla looks shy and insecure, which is like "what?" Mon-El looks pretty weird as well, like he's got money on the pit bull in a dog-fight. Very OOC looking, to me.

Ayla should look sassy, perhaps even flirty, and confident. Mon-El should look reserved and equally confident.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597891 04/26/07 12:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Just read it:

-- The remark "What happened to the Legion of Super-Heroes when they grew up" is quite bizarre when the statues clearly depict grown-ups.

-- The prospect of DC deleting (once again) the Legion retcons connected with Byrne's obsolete "Man of Steel" era is a most welcome one, but while they're at it, please include a few pre-Crisis ones as well, such as the Violet/Yera and Validus nonsense.

- I love, love, love Mon-El's pose, like he's inviting his "little brother" to brawl. Element Lad's blue and green costume and 70s hairstyle is a sight for sore eyes. Chuck and Lu look sweet and happy together, like they were before she became Uno Lass.

- The "storm" coming sounds like a terrible threat, but given Meltzer's and Johns' strong teases about Lightning Lad (the wakeup word and their mention of him in their latest interview), there has to be some link to him. The "sadness" too, perhaps.

Tyroc rules over Jacques -- no contest. The Legion constitution should prohibit Legionnaires with Roman numerals after their codenames.

#597892 04/26/07 12:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You know, if they do decide to springboard this Legion off into their own series, I could be happy with it. For me, the best original Legion stories took place before the Baxter books (even though I did enjoy the Baxters). So if we retcon back to Pre-Crisis and start off there, I would be happy with it.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#597893 04/26/07 01:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
But are we going to retcon Karate Kid dying? Yera never replacing Vi? IMO, that's an important part of Vi's character development, etc.

Same thing with Jeckie. After KK died she became real interesting.

#597894 04/26/07 01:30 PM
Leader
Leader
How does Supergirl du jour fit into all this?

#597895 04/26/07 01:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
But are we going to retcon Karate Kid dying? Yera never replacing Vi? IMO, that's an important part of Vi's character development, etc.

Same thing with Jeckie. After KK died she became real interesting.
They can still become more interesting without those tragic plot points. Just need the right writer smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#597896 04/26/07 01:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Who? wink

#597897 04/26/07 01:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
No, that's pretty literally what happens. As a rookie Legionaire, he follows one of Darkseid's servants back to the lair of its master, and when he encounters the big bad, he's left so frightened by the experience that it leaves a permanent white streak in his hair. [/QB]
I always attributed the colour change to the blast he took (which we later find out is the Omega Effect, so the big guy was just toying with him).

Jacques was one of my favorite Legionnaires, mostly because my first issue was Legion Annual #1 so I was thrown into this crazy world along side him. Also, as bad as his French was, at least they tried, and it was refreshing as a non-American to see some attempt at world diversity (although I initially thought he was Quebecois).

#597898 04/26/07 01:47 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
That El Dorado write-up, while accurate about the lame character is wrong about the name. "El Dorado" actually refers to a person ("the Golden Man"), and the use of the term as a city name was a mistake introduced much later.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#597899 04/26/07 02:41 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Maybe she's Sensor Girl

Page 7 of 33 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tiffany Spiffany
Tiffany Spiffany
Mayavale University