Roll Call
1 members (wes connors), 12 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#597900 04/26/07 03:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Re: JSA #5
<span style="font-size: 30px;"><span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">YEAH BABY!!! YES YES YES!!!!!</span></span></span>

#597901 04/26/07 03:19 PM
Active
Active
Figured Drake would like that wink

I was disappointed by only two things: that Jeckie isn't in the navel-baring costume and that the historic couples aren't all placed together. Otherwise, as Mystery Lad said, I did get that slight contraction of the throat. It's been so long...

#597902 04/26/07 03:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
What is Star Girl looking at in the little window at the base of the statues? Are those Legion figurines? That would seem redundant but they sort of look like human figures.
That's most likely meant to be a character key of some kind, but the names are written on the stand under the characters anyway (makes me wonder if the artist and editorial weren't on the same page). So maybe the thing she's looking at is more informative about each Legionnaire? (real name, powers etc).

Question: what happend at the end there with Batman's belt? It looks like it might've hit the character, but nobody's reacting like someone threw it -- did it come *out of* the character?

#597903 04/26/07 03:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Just to clarify, I don't dislike either Tyroc or IK II. I think both have quite a bit of potential as characters.

And I'm actually secretly a huge El Dorado fan. I really want to see him re-imagined with a groovy Latin American Magical Realist vibe.

#597904 04/26/07 04:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Just to clarify, I don't dislike either Tyroc or IK II. I think both have quite a bit of potential as characters.

And I'm actually secretly a huge El Dorado fan. I really want to see him re-imagined with a groovy Latin American Magical Realist vibe.
I love Jacques personally. Anyways EDE, you remember the artist that did that Zatanna mini years ago? She had a different look. Anyways he would be perfect for the Latin American Magical Realist vibe.

#597905 04/26/07 04:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[Linked Image]

José Luis García-López doing the art maybe?

Ok sorry back to the Legion. I can't wait to read this issue and see Wildfire give birth to a utility belt???

#597906 04/26/07 04:34 PM
Substitute
Substitute
John Byrne has flat out said he dislikes the Legion...on his own board.

He said they were spoiled brats in their initial appearance and he never liked them.

He said many contradictory things concerning it...but to me he was very forthcoming at the time about what he wantred to do...make Superman Unique again...that's why Superboy, SuperGirl, Krypto and hte rest of the Silver Age cast were ditched.

Sorry, but John Byrne is most definitely an arch enemy of the Legion. [/QB]
Nah, DC made Superman "unique" again...they just hired John Byrne to write the story. The same guy that co wrote the Death Of Superboy story that showed the pocket Universe with Paul Levitz.
Not to make this about John Byrne but he was also the guy that used the Pocket Universe to return Supergirl to Mainstream DC.

#597907 04/26/07 06:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
"He's left behind for a purpose. It wasn't his choice. He was left."

Sounds like something Brainiac 5 would do.
Hmm, from what WILDFIRE said when he woke up, sounds like someone green was responsible for leaving out time-tossed heroes stranded. Could they been left as a fallback line of defense against this "storm" when it arose?

#597908 04/26/07 07:59 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I have always loved Jacques Foccart (Jack Fokker) and his little sister. The Pepe LePew hair matched his Pepe LePew accent, no, yes, no?

His encounter with Darkseid did have a "feets don't fail me now" feel to it, BUT I have ALWAYS felt that that kind of hokiness is one of the greatest charms of the Legion. The silliest ideas and concepts, such as the Planetary Chance Machine, don't cross the line into being insulting because there never seems to a be any real malice or condescension towards the reader.

So what.
#597909 04/26/07 08:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just a little bit bigger version of the spread.

click to enlarge

#597910 04/26/07 09:54 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Wildfire should know not to eat utility belts. They always give him gas. smile

And from Wildfire's dialogue, it implies that Brainy is the one that sent these Legion members into the past. And Wildfire doesn't seem too happy about being a statue.

#597911 04/26/07 10:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
OK, I gotta add my two cents. I agree that Chemical King, Tyroc (and to a lesser extent Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid) should have had statues. That was a big oversite for me.
BUT that spread made a tear come to my eyes. I have sorely missed this version of the LSH.
The only other point that got me was Nura's hands. She never wore gloves, aways bracelets. That was distracting to me.
I must admitt that I liked this issue better than their own.
On the JSA front...Cyclone has grown on me. The fact that she was taken with Red Tornado and not Superman, showed alot of her character to me. love

#597912 04/26/07 11:38 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
I think the first ring is Clark's and the second ring is Pete Ross'
Maybe one is clark's and the other is conner's?

#597913 04/26/07 11:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
so....what about Super Boy Prime? and now clark really was Super Boy?

...maybe the Time Trappers back at work.

i thought nura looked odd too. not curvy enough. but seeing that spread was like a biggggg siiiggghh. ahhhhhhhh they exist!!!!!

#597914 04/27/07 12:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Regarding the statues, I really like the incarnations of each character that was shown (sorry, Condo was before my time so I'm not disappointed about it). The only change I'd make is including Projectra (not Sensor Girl) with the red/yellow outfit and white bob haircut.

#597915 04/27/07 12:54 AM
wndola1 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
I think these were supposed to be the legionnaires Superboy spent time with and most of Tellus and Magnetic Kids time was post crisis. Can anyone tell me what adventure did Superman have where Projectra was present in her Sensor Girl Persona? If I remember correctly that was all post crisis because BRainy thought She was really the deceased Supergirl

#597916 04/27/07 12:56 AM
wndola1 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
People keep talking about Batman's belt. It wasn't Batman's belt it was wildfire's standard costume belt possibly augmented by Brainy to keep him immibile till the magic word was spoken. (hence the comment) I don't think he sleeps like th eothers. It popped off because he almost had an energy explosion.

oh and what is the Brainy statue smirking about?

#597917 04/27/07 09:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok I read it. Awesome! Nice to see Dream Girl kick some butt! I did get that butterfly in stomach feeling when I saw the Legion.

Quick note about Karate Kid. Superman does say there is a sadness about him. Hmm? Maybe Superman already knows he dies but doesn't want to say anything to him since time traveling is involved.

Wildfire is one of my favorite members. It's been a while since I've seen the real one. That was nice. The utility belt thing was just wierd. This was awesome.

DC HAS TO BRING BACK THE REAL LEGION! I just can't see how they cannot. It's 10 times more popular than any Legion they've given us after.

#597918 04/27/07 10:29 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Thanks for the picture Lightning Lad. It does feel good to see those old friends again.

So what.
#597919 04/27/07 12:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
DC HAS TO BRING BACK THE REAL LEGION! I just can't see how they cannot. It's 10 times more popular than any Legion they've given us after.
I think you're right. The minor problems can be sorted out.

I also think the lack of Condo, Tyroc, etc. can easily be explained away as an artists mistake and then ignored, so I'm not too worried about it.

#597920 04/27/07 01:02 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I don't think that the lack of Chemical King and Tyroc is a mistake, actually. They had to draw lines somewhere, and those two were pretty niche in exposure, compared to most of the others shown.

I don't think that Superman's collection of statues were supposed to represent every Legionnaire ever. I think they just tried to put in a majority of the more iconic classic characters.

Chemical King and Tyroc, while having vocal fans, didn't really have long and significant runs. Both got side-shunted a lot, and then finally gotten rid of. Not portraying them as has-been ex-Legionnaires that will never be seen again (and may or may not be dead) also leaves the door open that they could be re-introduced. (Although, Ferro Lad didn't exactly have a long run either, but perhaps combined with his brother, it ends up being more reasonable?)

The Legion can always use more diversity (and this Legion does not have an African-Xanthuan Star Boy), and has never had a sonic-powers based character, so Tyroc seems quite doable, and could get rid of the stereotyped bits that don't fly so well today (like his hair, clothes and name).

Chemical Kid could also be re-introduced, instead of them just putting a statue up and saying, 'yeah, here's some dude who died and you'll never see again.' But I'd prefer he not be re-introduced unless the writer brushes up on his science and is able to write his power consistently (I don't care it it's *real* science, I watch Star Trek, after all, but it's gotta at least sound plausible!).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597921 04/27/07 01:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A bunch of thoughts/observations:

1st- clearly Supes has several elements of pre-Crisis reincorporated into him, although obviously without him having been Superboy. 1: meeting Mon-El as a teen; 2: his friendship (membership?) with the pre-crisis LSH; 3-Rokyn, which Kal helped free in the late 70s.

I also take issue with Quislet and to a lesser extent the missing, but I'll deal with it - seeing most of THE team together (even as statues) was truly joyful!

Interesting that the Sensor Girl/Jeckie costume is used, and Polar Boy is included. The only time pre-C Kal saw Brek's costume (and Brek as a member) could have been the Mon-El back in the zone issue (I can't recall if he did or not)... Brek didn't go on the #37 mission, and Superboy died before he could see Brek in #38. Ditto that for Sensor Girl.

But clearly a young Clark who was not Superboy would have at least a slightly different backstory with the LSH, even if it's only him being uncostumed or a young Superman (a la the cartoon). Close enough, by my reckoning.

Next - the couple holding up the globe at the fortress resemble the Smallville-TV Jonathan and Martha more than Jor-El and Lara, or even earlier versions of Jonathan and Martha. Is that new? I don't read Superman that often.

If young Kal was hanging out with the legion into Sensor Girl days, then he must recall Val's death? Why else would Jeckie become Sensor Girl? I'd rather Kal know Val's fate and not speak up than see a distortion of that storyline.

IF Nura is correct and one team member will die in the past, it could only be Val - if the plan is to adhere to the Levitz storyline. That means the time-lost Legion come from somewhere between LSH Annual 1.1 (1st time: Thom's beard) and v.3 (Villain war). Perhaps the main timeline since #300 was one of the alternate-universes Brainy and Rond observed at the time institute? But that still doesn't explain a no-Superboy timeline.

Also- Whether error or not, I did notice subtle differences in some of the costumes. Rokk's more resembles the Perez digest design than the mid-80 return to pink, if I recall correctly. A few others, too, seemed a little off. Mon should have full red pants, not red panties over red tights - and even his Silver Age costume was blue on red. Imra's variation may be just a coloring error.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#597922 04/27/07 02:28 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
The thing I'm wondering about right now is Mon-El. How many Mon-Els are there? There's one in this JLA/JSA Legion, and one must imagine that he's the same one who Superman met in that recent... what was it, Action Comics Annual? But isn't that the same Mon-El who showed up in Supergirl & LSH?

I'm not worried about how there can be the JLA/JSA Legion and the main-title Legion at the same time; I'm confident that can be explained. But it does seem like we've got either too many Mon-Els or not enough.

#597923 04/27/07 02:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah the Mon-El thing is a problem. Hey could go to three different futures. No problem. But then how many do we have running around the present? What present?

#597924 04/27/07 03:39 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Re. the Mon-El conundrum:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The Newsarama preview of the final issue of "52" shows Booster and Rip witnessing the birth of the new Multiverse in Week 0, Day 0 of 52. It is made up of 52 parallel Earths, each one an **exact copy** of the other, and having its own identical Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. </span></span>

It doesn't mean their far-flung futures are identical (evidently they're not), but it kind of explains the same but different Mon-Els.

Page 8 of 33 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Merlion Man
Merlion Man
Singapore