Roll Call
1 members (wes connors), 12 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#597850 04/25/07 06:25 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Thanks, this is all looking screwier than I thought at first. And, dammit, I can't stand Jacques. I want Lyle alive!

#597851 04/25/07 06:29 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:PS - I'm DYING to know!!
But I think there are a few on this board (probably nobody not on the board) who may actually be incoherent and incandescent with rage.[/QB]
Found a new sig line!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#597852 04/25/07 06:42 PM
Reservist
Reservist
My head is hurting...

#597853 04/25/07 08:28 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, I just bought the darn thing. I have to say that I'm pretty unimpressed with the issue as a whole, but... crap! It's good to see the Legion again!

Well, except for a few really jarring things like Red Tornado's explanation of who the Legion are, which sounds suspisciously like the post-ZH team's reason for being rather than the originals, and the few glaring omissions in the statues.

It did seem to be implied that Star Boy never rejoined after he was expelled, but then it's a bit weird that he's in his Cockrum costume, which he wouldn't have worn during his tenure as a Legionnaire! So I don't know.

And... jeepers! Dawnstar's wings are huge!

Three quick complaints about non-Legion related stuff:

1. Why the heck do Johns and Meltzer have this obsession with super-heroes calling each other by their real names, even when they're out in public? I mean... how could Starman calling Batman "Bruce" when they're surrounded by Gotham Police not tip someone off that Batman = Bruce Wayne?

2. And isn't the Riddler reformed and stuff, and thus not locked up in Arkham? Has Batman just forgotten this?

3. And is Geo-force supposed to be such an ass? Because he sure came off that way.

#597854 04/25/07 09:57 PM
Deputy
Deputy
At wizarduniverse.com, Meltzer and Johns weigh in on potential candidates for the 11th member of the JLA, including two Legionnaires, Karate Kid and Lightning Lad. To be taken with a *huge* grain of salt, but it's always interesting to read how other creators see the Legionnaires.

Here's the direct link:
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004393137.cfm

#597855 04/25/07 10:20 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I liked the issue. Maybe it's just because I like seeing the versions of the Legion I grew up on, but it has me excited. At least I think they are the versions I grew up on. I really have no idea what's going on. Is this story tied into B&B #5? With Batman's belt coming out of Wildfire (that was weird by the way)and then a Legion being in B&B with Batman it could be. I'm excited the Legion is getting so much play. I just hope my heart doesn't get broken by these characters being ripped away in the end...it couldn't take it I don't think...

I just can't BLOK it out!
#597856 04/25/07 10:32 PM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I just read it, and I can confirm that spoiler.

There's also <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Superman's description of his time with the Legion. It's a lot like the original pre-Crisis Legion history, but... not exactly the same, although I forget why (I have to read these comics fast; it's my lunch hour). (I think it was because Superman explained why Star Boy had to quit the Legion, but didn't mention at all that he rejoined the team.) If I had to state it categorically, I would say that this is not the original Legion, but one a lot like it.

Dream Girl gets a nice moment beating up Dr. Destiny, but she also says that she had a vision that one of the Legionnaires is going to die on this mission.

There's one nuance to the Fortress of Solitude scene that not everyone will get at first glance, but some of the people on this board will notice it and react with absolute howling rage. I won't say what it is; I'll wait and see who notices it on their own.</span></span>
Matt, is the thing that would make people howl with rage the fact that PG doesn't have the big ole 60's style bellbottoms??

#597857 04/25/07 10:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium:
At wizarduniverse.com, Meltzer and Johns weigh in on potential candidates for the 11th member of the JLA, including two Legionnaires, Karate Kid and Lightning Lad. To be taken with a *huge* grain of salt, but it's always interesting to read how other creators see the Legionnaires.

Here's the direct link:
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/004393137.cfm
Only if Garth goes by 'White Lightning'. He could be the Mid Western White Boy foil to Jefferson's Urban Hipster. They need matching motorcycles though.

I see a Lightning Brothers mini-series as our two heroes and their bikes hit the open highway only to be constantly bothered by the jealous Mekt.

#597858 04/25/07 11:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
SPOILERS!!!

D
o

N
o
t

L
o
o
k

b
e
l
o
w
i
f

y
o
u

d
o
n
'
t

w
a
n
t

t
o

k
n
o
w
!

click to enlarge

#597859 04/25/07 11:22 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
1. Why the heck do Johns and Meltzer have this obsession with super-heroes calling each other by their real names, even when they're out in public? I mean... how could Starman calling Batman "Bruce" when they're surrounded by Gotham Police not tip someone off that Batman = Bruce Wayne?
You know, Batman didn't seem particularly pleased about that. I'm guessing it's just 'cause Starman's meant to be crazy or whatever.

#597860 04/25/07 11:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My guess for Matthew is "Ultra-Boy?" Cause that is annoying.

The only other thing that bothers me are the omissions of Supergirl ("understandable," but not really), Chemical King, Tyroc, Tellus, Quislet, & Magnetic Kid II.

#597861 04/25/07 11:34 PM
Active
Active
I think this is as close as we can hope to get to the pre-crisis Legion. In effect another reboot. Plan B to revive LSH sales?

#597862 04/25/07 11:49 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I can't believe I didn't notice there were two Wildfires in the statue group.

#597863 04/25/07 11:55 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

I noticed this too recently, mainly from Meltzer. Just seems like hack writing to me, which a really lot of his stuff seems to be. I'm so over this lovey-dovey super-hero community stuff...I wish no one called Batman Bruce ever again but Superman. Its beyond annoying. I mean really, Vixen, Arsenal and Hawkgirl know, and so do the new members of the JSA? Poor.

But that's my own pet pieve laugh

#597864 04/26/07 12:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, maybe I'm just really old school, but it seems to me that Bats and Supes should know each other's identities, but that should really be a sign of the trust between the two of them, not because they share it with every minor super-hero that comes along.

I mean... it just seems crazy if someone like Vixen knows that Superman = Clark Kent but, say, Jimmy Olsen doesn't.

#597865 04/26/07 12:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, in Starman's case-- his knowledge of Batman's ID *could* be explained by the fact that he comes from the future, guys...

...and give me a lovey-dovey hero community over what's going on at Marvel *any* day. (Though the over use of first names can be annoying, I agree, it mainly seems to be an issue with the Big Two).

I like the idea that each of the 'seven soldiers' might be from a different timeline... but I don't think that's what's going on.

I thought it was interesting how Dream Girl's powers kept being described with references to The Dreaming... more evidence that this is more of a 'classic' adjacent LSH, than a version of the team transplanted whole from #3oo or whatever. I really wish there'd been more with Dreamy (though I wasn't crazy about this rendition of her artistically) and Sandman. Maybe coming up?

I'm surprised a fight between our heroes and a whole flock (flight?) of Batmen was over so quickly. That could easily have been an issue itself. As could an examination of the fears of Bruce, Brion, Sandy, Nura and Thom-- not to mention a few selected Arkham terrors.

That utility belt emerging from Wildfire was weird... what might that signify? Hmmm?

Anyone else get a little tickle in their throat or behind their eyes at Superman's descriptions of the LSH?

The LSH as inspiration for Superman--- it was mentioned in the animated version's #1 and now here. Interesting.

#597866 04/26/07 12:49 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Uh, where is Shrinking Violet?

And why does Chameleon Boy look like he's suffering from gastrointestinal illness? Anything to do with the fact Vi was in the sens-tank and Cham in prison during the GDS?

Wow, I have to say some of those old costumes look mighty cheesy now. Sun Boy, the bathing beauties, men in pale scarlet. Ye gads. God bless Dave Cockrum but I don't think he ever intended Wildfire or Timber Wolf to retain the same appearance for 35 years.

I appreciate what Meltzer and Johns are trying to do by defining a place for the Legion in the DCU, but I hope they don't undermine their own effort with backwards-looking nostalgia. Legion diehards aren't the only ones reading this story, and I hope they don't look hopelessly outdated to other readers.

#597867 04/26/07 01:00 AM
Active
Active
I think Wildire has the best costume ever.

Best Saturn Girl ever was the pink bathing suit and the Farah Fawcett hair. I like PG with pig tailes the best...but the costume is an all time classic.

#597868 04/26/07 01:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Vi is sitting on Gim's shoulder

#597869 04/26/07 01:37 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The weird thing is that I think everyone who looks at the picture will agree that many of costumes look horribly outdated, but I don't think you'll get people to agree on which ones.

I would never have cited Sun Boy, for instance, but I agree about Timber Wolf. And those bulky shoulder pads on Blok... totally a thing of a different era.

One odd costume detail (and I'm sure there are others)-- No gloves on Ferro Lad.

#597870 04/26/07 01:54 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Vi is sitting on Gim's shoulder
Proof she's Yera!

#597871 04/26/07 02:20 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Superboy:

The Legion was going gangbusters before the Crisis, it was a book they fixed that didn't need fixing. All on the whim of John Byrne.
Hey board members!

Been a browser for awhile but since the "original" Legion seems to making their first appearance since that flash of light after "End Of an Era".....figured it would be time to flex my keyboard musklz.

I loved the first CRISIS for everything it tried to do and even more so loved how so much went WRONG afterwards. It was sport for this rebellious soul to watch as the "powers that be" contridicted themselves almost sentance for sentance after the close of CRISIS #12.
That sport lead to much information gathering. As with the case of the Pocket Universe, John Byrne has stated on the old AOL brds that he was told he was not allowed to use ANY of the old Superman "as a boy" schtik for his "Man of Steel" reboot.
Myself, because of his work, assumed the whole thing was his fault also and called him the TIME TRAPPER <g> many a time on those brds.
What I learned was that DC made it so. And I felt kudos could have been given to an attempt to restore Superboy's origin by creating the Pocket Universe. During the Classic Legion team up with the Man of Steel Superman.
( but people....just couldnt leave it alone.)

#597872 04/26/07 02:49 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
click to enlarge

What are the odds Supes has an extra set (MIB!) in a Storeroom of Solitude?

#597873 04/26/07 03:39 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:
Originally posted by Superboy:
[b]
The Legion was going gangbusters before the Crisis, it was a book they fixed that didn't need fixing. All on the whim of John Byrne.
Hey board members!

Been a browser for awhile but since the "original" Legion seems to making their first appearance since that flash of light after "End Of an Era".....figured it would be time to flex my keyboard musklz.

I loved the first CRISIS for everything it tried to do and even more so loved how so much went WRONG afterwards. It was sport for this rebellious soul to watch as the "powers that be" contridicted themselves almost sentance for sentance after the close of CRISIS #12.
That sport lead to much information gathering. As with the case of the Pocket Universe, John Byrne has stated on the old AOL brds that he was told he was not allowed to use ANY of the old Superman "as a boy" schtik for his "Man of Steel" reboot.
Myself, because of his work, assumed the whole thing was his fault also and called him the TIME TRAPPER <g> many a time on those brds.
What I learned was that DC made it so. And I felt kudos could have been given to an attempt to restore Superboy's origin by creating the Pocket Universe. During the Classic Legion team up with the Man of Steel Superman.
( but people....just couldnt leave it alone.) [/b]
John Byrne has flat out said he dislikes the Legion...on his own board.

He said they were spoiled brats in their initial appearance and he never liked them.

He said many contradictory things concerning it...but to me he was very forthcoming at the time about what he wantred to do...make Superman Unique again...that's why Superboy, SuperGirl, Krypto and hte rest of the Silver Age cast were ditched.

Sorry, but John Byrne is most definitely an arch enemy of the Legion.

#597874 04/26/07 04:49 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Where's Chemical King and Tyroc and why are there 2 Wildfire's

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Merlion Man
Merlion Man
Singapore