Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#597775 04/21/07 11:03 AM
Active
Active
One of the seven soldiers must be Cosmic Boy, remember the escene of the strange villain who lost his magnetic disc.

From UK with glamour.
#597776 04/21/07 12:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Did anyone notice if there was a Legion flag in the Fortress of Solitude? Perhaps in that display of Legionnaires?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597777 04/21/07 02:06 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Preview Pages for the next installment are up at Newsarama.

Odd bit... the flight rings are made of "valorium".

#597778 04/21/07 02:18 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Preview Pages for the next installment are up at Newsarama.

Odd bit... the flight rings are made of "valorium".
If I remember correctly, Mon-el was the one who made the metal the flight rings were made from. Reboot, it was Brainiac 5 with Invisible Kid making the actual flight rings. Three Boot, no identity of the creator of the flight rings, but presumably not Mon-El as the Legion had them before they found Mon-el.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#597779 04/21/07 02:25 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I like that "Valorium" is an Nth Metal alloy. I figured there would be a connection drawn at some point.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#597780 04/21/07 02:29 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think the "valorium" name comes from the 5YL era, but it's a bit odd to see it used in connection with what is apparently the pre-Crisis Legion. It's just more evidence of mixing of different versions of the team.

#597781 04/21/07 02:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"He's left behind for a purpose. It wasn't his choice. He was left."

Sounds like something Brainiac 5 would do.

#597782 04/21/07 02:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Legion V4 #64 Brainy has the "waste metal" from a failed experiment floating around the lab. Invisible Kid takes it and in Legionnaires #20 he introduces the flight ring.

Of course since Element 152 was invented by Mon-El for his "initiation" in Adv. #305 maybe they are just naming it after him from the pre-boot use. But if they aren't I don't think this is showing a mixture of different versions of the team. I think it is showing the lack of research on the part of those crafting the story.

#597783 04/21/07 03:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
According to cmk's help file, valorium was the name of the metal that postboot Brainy was experimenting on that was later adapted to the flight rings. It was basically the postboot team's way of putting a new spin on the "invented by Mon-El" origin of the flight ring material.

But I agree it's more like shoddy research than anything else.

#597784 04/21/07 07:21 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by wndola1:
Well I made this for my blog... but It is taking forever to write as I am reviewing 12 books this week and they are all pretty thought provoking. So I thought I would post it here. This is my best guess for the magnificent seven.

[Linked Image]
Galloping galaxies, wndola1! You should be the next Legion artist. Seriously! nod

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#597785 04/22/07 12:41 AM
Active
Active
Could this a reboot of the preboot LSH? Maybe deboot would be a better word. I certainly hope so.

#597786 04/22/07 01:20 AM
Active
Active
Me personally...I am thrilled to see George Perez do his first Legion cover in about 30 years(I believe LOSH #279-280 were his last ones).

I am thrilled that George Perez wants to do the Legion.

I like both covers and I appreciate the work the creators have tried to do on this title since it was ruined by the COIE.

As long as the Legion has been around, there has been a split between those who don't want the Supercousins a major part of the book, and those who do. More often than not, the ones that don't want them on the book have won this battle, and more often than not, it's been to the detriment of the Legion...

Pretty much every time the cousins have been removed from the book it's lost fans and has struggled to find anything beyond a hardcore audience.

The only somewhat successful period was the Baxter series...but even that was not as popular as the GDS. And I'd like to point out, the most sought after issues of that series, feature Superboy on the cover.

The reason Superboy and Supergirl get the cover, is because they boost sales. So while you may not be crazy about them being prominent in the book at this stage, isn't that better than no Legion?

The Legionaires just don't have a good history of being sellers on their own.

You know, I looked this up once...the first 3 years of the Legion's existence, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Pete Ross, Lana Lang, Jimmy Olsen and Krypto, all appeared in more Legion stories than any other Legionaire. I am not 100% certain about the Metropolis Superman cast and Supergirl being in the most Legion stories, but the Smallville Superman cast I know for certain appeared in more Legion stories than any single Legionaire. They were a big part of the Legion when it was just a fledgeling group trying to be more than a oneshot Superboy story.

I just want to see that tie restored, I don't care if they get the cover or not, but IMO, it's not the Legion if they aren't a part of it. And the past 20 years bear this out.

For 20 years now I've watched DC try to give us a Legion without those ties, and it's widely regarded as the worst era of the Legion ever(and sales back this up). And it's not because of the talent that's been on the book, it's because the concept they have been giving us just doesn't have the appeal of the original Legion.

I just want to enjoy the real Legion again. And yes I am willing to stop reading the book if they don't give me the Legion I want, rather than sitting around whining about it. I have stopped many times, and I usually give it another try with every reboot, when they start sounding like they are going to fix things. This is the only one I have managed to stay with more than 2 years, and it's because of Supergirl and hoping to see my Legion come back. I had zero interest in this book until they brought Supergirl into it.

Hopefully they'll bring the original Legion back in the JSA/JLA crossover. IMO, what will identify it as the original Legion will be it's relationship with the Superman Family...

If they bring that Legion back, I will be dropping this Legion instantly and I will leave it to the fans of the new incarnations, and I'll hope there are still enough original Legion fans around to support a book featuring them. C'mon DC...you can do this. One with the Supes ties, and one without...that's pretty much the only way to appease the fanbase you have now and have the Legion survive.

#597787 04/22/07 01:24 AM
Active
Active
Sidenote:

I am not sure who Perez' favorite Legionaire is...but, if IIRC, he drew the entry for Mon-El in the original Who's who in the DC Universe series. So Mon-El would be my guess.

Then again...he's a huge Curt Swan fan and IMO, Perez does the best version of the Pre Crisis Superboy of anyone(I say this because of one cover which was a magnificent one, LOSH #280).

#597788 04/22/07 07:02 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Seems to me, the use of the term "Seven Soldiers" is a reference to one of the classic JLA/JSA crossovers of the Silver Age...back when there was a multiverse. This sounds like the same story being retold, with our 7 time lost Legionnaires taking the place of the other 7 time lost Legionnaires (The Seven Soldiers were also called Legionnaires wink )

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#597789 04/22/07 12:45 PM
Active
Active
I am not sure what will come out of this crossover. if the previous incarnation of the LSH is returned that would be a a confusing marketing mess. still considering the snafu with the Supergirl and Wonder Woman comics I wouldn't put past them.

if the previous incarnation is returned than did DC lie when they said the current book was the future of the DC universe? because from what I have gathered post COIE Superman has had a past with the LSH, but it appears that it isn't the current crop of characters. which leads to two conclusions: my legion is from earth-(random number); or there is going to be some headache inducting alternate universe time trap travel stuff(where's the tylenol)

in the alternative, you long term fans may be ticked off if it turns that the classic LSH appearances are temporary and will fade into the time stream or something once the story is over.

#597790 04/22/07 02:09 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally posted by wamu2:
[QUOTE]
so this story will will involve team manipulation to enter a forbidden fortress and recover a valuable item.
Or a bad writer using Google to come up with poorly done references to material he doesn't really understand.

Sorry, still bitter about buying a Meltzer book to feed my Legion addiction.

#597791 04/22/07 02:48 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by rjbrande:
[b] [QUOTE]
so this story will will involve team manipulation to enter a forbidden fortress and recover a valuable item.
Or a bad writer using Google to come up with poorly done references to material he doesn't really understand.

Sorry, still bitter about buying a Meltzer book to feed my Legion addiction.[/b]
like you, I am only getting the JLA stuff due to the LSH/JSA crossover. it was only one issue, but his writing seems clunky. it might help if he had only one character with a voice over box. but with at three POV that way it felt overdone.

#597792 04/22/07 03:07 PM
wndola1 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
From what i read I believe Meltzer is as big a fanboy as any of us. I don't think 7 soldiers was thrown around lightly

#597793 04/22/07 03:58 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think it was a very intentional allusion to the vague similarity in plot to the original Seven Soldiers story, but I don't think you can read too much into it beyond that.

#597794 04/22/07 05:16 PM
Active
Active
I am not sure what will come out of this crossover. if the previous incarnation of the LSH is returned that would be a a confusing marketing mess. still considering the snafu with the Supergirl and Wonder Woman comics I wouldn't put past them.

if the previous incarnation is returned than did DC lie when they said the current book was the future of the DC universe? because from what I have gathered post COIE Superman has had a past with the LSH, but it appears that it isn't the current crop of characters. which leads to two conclusions: my legion is from earth-(random number); or there is going to be some headache inducting alternate universe time trap travel stuff(where's the tylenol)

in the alternative, you long term fans may be ticked off if it turns that the classic LSH appearances are temporary and will fade into the time stream or something once the story is over.
I don't think anything is as confusing as the post crisis continuity of the Legion. Even the creative teams that have worked on it since crisis can't get it straight if you ask me. That's why they just keep rebooting it.

If the Legion in JSA/JLA turns out to be a temporary thing it won't be any more frustrating than the last 20 years, at least for me...that's something I am used to. I'll just read the current one until I give up on it...and then they'll cancel it and reboot...and then they'll give us another derivative Legion that fails to catch on...and so on and so forth like the past 20 years.

There is literally nothing left that DC can do to destroy the Legion any more than they already have IMO...too me it's obvious which Legion sells(the original tied into the Supes mythos) and which ones don't(all those that have come after).

if not for Supergirl this title would have already been canceled IMO.

I am philosophical about it now...at worst I'll just save money that I would have otherwise spent on the Legion.

#597795 04/22/07 05:25 PM
Active
Active
Now that I think about it...if the Legion in the JSA does turn out to be a throwaway...I probably will stop buying this current one. It's just a bad idea for them to keep teasing the Legion a lot of us want to see and failing to deliver it just out of sheer stubborness. I think many of hte fans feel that DC doing that is basically just salt in the wounds and plain ole meaness to their older fans.

#597796 04/22/07 10:19 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I know I will sound pollyanna-ish, but I'm just thrilled to see the Legion getting this kind of attention. Whoever said it above is right -- the Legion has really been cut off from the DCU for the last 10 years or so, and the connections it has had are with a) a Legion that doesn't exist anymore and b) involved with stories that may or may not still have happened. So, it's fun to see people like Batman discovering the Legion for the first time. I too wish it were less convoluted what's going on, but it seems too much to ask of any post-modern fanboy creator (I'm looking at you, Johns and Meltzer!) to NOT exploit continuity ambiguities and contradictions for a story. And that's clearly what's going on here. Still, I am delighted to see Karate Kid, Dawnstar, Dream Girl, and Star Boy get some attention. If people like Karate Kid in JSA/JLA, maybe they will check out one of the Legion books. If people love Dawnstar in JSA/JLA, maybe they will clamor for her return to the Legion. That would be good.

It also seems clear (as clear as anything) that the Legion (a Legion) played an important role in Superman's life, since he has monuments to them in the Fortress of Solitude, talks to Batman about flight rings, etc. It will be fun to see what connection Supes has with the Legion. Is it just some version of the cross-overs of the last 20 years, or something more profound? I hope the latter. I always thought there was something great to the idea of Superman realizing his responsibilities by seeing group of kids 1,000 years in the future emulating his legacy. The animated show gets this, and I hope whatever version of Legion is published going forward gets it too.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#597797 04/23/07 12:34 AM
Active
Active
IIRC the cover that caused the most buzz among the fans was the one that featured Dawnstar & Blok. I think it's clear that the majority of Legion fans want the Earth 1 Legion back or some semblance of same. Take a look at at the DC LSH mesage board.

#597798 04/23/07 05:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I always thought there was something great to the idea of Superman realizing his responsibilities by seeing group of kids 1,000 years in the future emulating his legacy.
I love this idea of a 'reverse legacy.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597799 04/23/07 04:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think the problem with debooting/unbooting, etc. is where does the "old" past of the book start being the "new" past? Do you cut of 5YL? Do you cut off everything after Magic Wars? Everything after Great Darkness. Everything after Chuck & Lu's wedding? You're gonna piss off a lot of people, whatever you choose. Me, as much as I loved the Levitz Legion, I have zero interest in reading something that picks up after Magic Wars. By that point he'd destroyed/changed too much that I would miss. And, if you try to re-tell even a short list of "essential" Legion stories from the past, you can quickly end up with the 90's reboot. I THINK the direction they are headed is that the "original" Legion existed, and the "current" Superman had some involvement with it, somehow, but that "original" Legion somehow got wiped out, as a part of COIE, perhaps, or some combo of COIE and Infinite Crisis, whatever, with some "refugees" in the 21st century now appearing in JSA and JLA.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
King of Snake
King of Snake
Greetings from the Underworld ...