Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: LEGION #3 (preview & spoilers)
#597154 11/30/11 10:42 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Reboot:
That's basically it. There are some gaps and tweaks (most explicitly with the Super-characters. Superman's history has changed significantly, and he was lower powered for longer even than the Byrne history - although he was still a Legionnaire in some form - while Superboy/Kon and Supergirl/Kara have both been hard-rebooted. Those areas are vague, and I'd assume that Supergirl will become a Legionnaire in her future all over again, as in the Johnsboot/pre-DCnU, while this Kon's probably never interacted with any version of the team and may never do so), and it's possible some stuff will be shown to have been deleted as part of the compression.

But only assume stuff has changed once shown to be so. Again, the Super-characters have changed and we know it; but other stuff - including the spine of stories Superboy/Kal was in? Assume no massive differences except in the "small print" of the detail until proven otherwise.
Thanks, Reboot. gasp Some days I can't recall which end is up in Real Life or fiction.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#597155 12/01/11 10:18 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So, basically the answer is that we can assume that the current continuity is at least an approximation of the previous continuity, which we spent thread upon thread and page upon page arguing about/trying to make sense of! Thanks for clearing things up, DC! wink

#597156 12/01/11 10:20 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597157 12/01/11 10:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Some good things have come of it, at least. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Ryan Choi</span></span> is set to return, for example.

#597158 12/01/11 10:38 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597159 12/01/11 12:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Some good things have come of it, at least. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Ryan Choi</span></span> is set to return, for example.
Ummm, who's that?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#597160 12/01/11 12:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[b]Some good things have come of it, at least. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Ryan Choi</span></span> is set to return, for example.
Ummm, who's that? [/b]
The 4th Atom (Star of the "All-New Atom" series. He was killed a few years ago in a less than well received fashion).

#597161 12/01/11 06:10 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Personally, I hate Ultra Boy's new costume. frown

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#597162 12/03/11 02:34 AM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Wonder what the Dominion's "answer" to the Legion entails--hopefully it will not include B.I.O.N. and SW6 clones... In the reboot it was established that Brainy's anti-lead serum had to be specifically designed for each individual Daxamite (which is why Roxxas and his White Triangle cohorts went nuts when they ingested Laurel's) which may explain the Renegade's mental state. Still wonder if Saturn Girl will still be 'after Harmonia Li's blood' as previously hinted...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#597163 12/07/11 04:26 PM
Active
Active
Again, a good issue. Think that the main Legion book is the best, the addition of the new members gives it a fresh feeling, the team is a team again, good artwork, I like it.

What I was wondering was: How many active members are there? There were 17 members to be seen in #3, Garth, Imra, Nura and Thom were missing but I guess are still active members. So is it 21 members, or am I missing somebody?

#597164 12/08/11 08:03 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by NoLongerLegion:
Reboot, if you want so bad to call it a 'soft' reboot or 'softboot', then fine. It is a Softboot almost EXACTLY in the vein of the 'softboot' that followed Mon El's distruction of the Time Trapper (only without the fill-in issue between continuities). The story seems to pick-up exactly from where the previous reality left off and virtually everything seems to be the same, but since the very shape of history was twisted into a new form, differences will start creeping in very quickly (take a look at the 'Legion: Secret Origin' for the first minor examples) and NOTHING we presume to be true actually is until they show it on-pannel. Basicly, we have another 5YL (post issue 5) situation... It seems like the previous reality, but you never know what is or isn't still in continuity. You never know what they have added or taken away until they choose to tell you. I won't finacially support this cr@p again.
I think you are absolutely correct in your comparison with the Mon-El white-out soft reboot.

Where this reboot differs though is that Giffen and the Bierbaums seemed to delight in changing things for the sake of it - retrospectively renaming Luornu as Triad for example. That is not Paul Levitz's style. he tries to build on what went before. Very little in Secret Origin conflicts with previous history (except the uniforms which probably weren't Levitz's choice). I can't see Levitz turning anything over that he has written in v2,v3 or v6 other than where it conflicts with current Superman chronology.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#597165 12/08/11 08:30 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Reboot:
[QB]A "hard" reboot is something like the new Supergirl #1, or the Zero Hour & "threeboot" LSH reboots. Nothing prior remains valid or relevant.

Whereas, even as quickly as the preview pages for LSH v7 #1, there are immediate references to stories from v6 (e.g., Mon-El as a Green Lantern). That makes the reboot "soft" - some things may have changed, but big chunks of what went before also remain valid.

What you need to remember that not all reboots are equal. A "true" or "hard" reboot changes EVERYTHING. [QB]
I use four definitions:

BACK-STORY which adds new historical information but without changing any known facts or events.

RETCON for where a previously known event or fact is no longer true without a cause being shown. Retelling the meeting of Superboy and the Legion showing Lightning Lad in his classic costume was a retcon in the 1960s.

SOFT REBOOT is when history has changed due to an in story event but much of what went before is still valid. Crisis on Infinite Earths/Pocket Universe as well as the Mon-El white-out and Infinite Crisis (leading into the Lightning Saga) were soft reboots of the Legion. Flashpoint is a soft reboot of the Legion

HARD REBOOT is when history is completely rewritten and starts again like the 'Archie' Legion. The Byrne Superman was a hard reboot of the Man of Steel, as is Flashpoint.

"You were kids"
#597166 12/08/11 09:42 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597167 12/09/11 04:49 AM
Active
Active
Well, it is pretty easy not to conflict with what was in V6 since it was a 16 issue run with only 3 major storylines. However, the 'Secret Origin' book is already contradicting what we 'knew' to be Triplicate Girl, Phantom Girl and Brainiac 5's back stories from V2 and V3.
I admit I haven't gone back and re-read all of v2/3 but from memory all we knew about Lu was she was from Cargg which had a triple sun and joined the Legion after meeting each Legionnaire separately. No conflicts there.

Brainy was an orphan who never knew his father and did some work for Metropolis Uni/Time Institute. Again no conflicts so far.

Tinya had a Secret Origins story writtem by the Bierbaums just before v4 which was so removed from what we knew before that I tend to think of it as being set in the 5 years later universe. Other than that the only history I can recollect was the Secrets of the Legion which didn't show how or why she came to Earth.

If I've missed anything please feel free to correct.

"You were kids"
#597168 12/09/11 08:27 AM
K
Active
Active
K
I think the idea that Phantom Girl is one of only a few people who can travel dimensions using their phasing power is new. However, it's pretty much necessary as well, since otherwise if Bgztl is as populated as Earth you'd expect to have crowds of Bgztlians walking through people's private houses on Earth 24 hours a day.

You really can't justify saying it's a reboot because one or two small things were changed. If that makes a reboot, then all comics are being constantly rebooted. The changes we are getting post-Flashpoint are no bigger than the changes any comic goes through during non-reboot times.

#597169 12/09/11 02:58 PM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597170 12/09/11 03:14 PM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597171 12/10/11 07:05 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
[b]I admit I haven't gone back and re-read all of v2/3 but from memory all we knew about Lu was she was from Cargg which had a triple sun and joined the Legion after meeting each Legionnaire separately. No conflicts there.
Carggg had sufffered no 'disaster' that reduced it's population in the pre-Crisis universe. Phantom Girl first came to attention by entering the Legion Club House despite all it's defenses. And Brainiac 5 first left Colu to work at the Time institute... that was his very first off-world experience. Granted, NONE of these are Universe Shaking changes (well, maybe the Carggg devestation could be), but they are Changes from the V2 and V3 versions. I doubt they will be the last one either.[/b]
The Cargg disaster is new but as we never saw Cargg, we don't know it didn't happen in the original continuity.

Tinya hasn't yet come to the notice of the Legion so the old meeting could still occur.

Brainy may yet end up at the time institurte. I can't remember (though I could be wromg) it ever being stated that he first left Colu specifically to go to the institute as opposed to him being at the institute first ie before the Legion.

During v2 and v3 we saw many little retcons where Legionnaires' backgrounds or origins were tweaked and I'm sure that even if there hadn't been a reboot, those tweaks would have continued. Think Blok, Wildfire, Chameleon Boy or even consider Lightning Lad (landed on Korbal alone then landed on Korbal with brother then landed on Korbal with brother AND sister). This is what comic writers do, reboot or no reboot.

"You were kids"
#597172 12/17/11 05:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm sad to say I'm not really enjoying the legion right now. That said the art is absolutely stunning, the chatacters have on the whole been well written and they are on alien worlds doing things. All of those points should entertain me but just isn't working. Perhaps part of the problem is yet another boot of continuity, part is legion lost- I really wanted to like it but am giving up after two issues. The shafting of the long serving academy kids is another reason. The legion have lost so many members and replace them with two very news kids, harmonia Li the unjustified and Comet Queen- I don't believe it, the shark had been jumped to high for my tastes. I put up with Earth Man (and Shady!!), I tolerated the boring durlan assassination story and the evil blue Baby Darkseid level threat that was never even named. Sadly I'm going to hang around until issue #6 but feel even that will be 5 issues too much. bah.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,439
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
icefire
icefire
tennessee