Roll Call
1 members (Harbinger, Harbinger, Harbinger), 18 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/26/24 07:29 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 06:43 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 06:43 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ronald Regan dies at 93
#550297 06/07/04 05:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Saturn Girl:
If that sonofabitch hadn't listened to the puritanical Good Ol' Boys and Bible-thumpers, WE MIGHT HAVE HAD A CURE FOR AIDS IN THE 80's !!!
If that were true, then we would have had a true cure in the 90's or the new millenium. What was missing wasn't money it was technology and research. It wasn't the "puritans" the "good ol' boys" or the "bible thumpers" that determined how to distribute limited resources. As difficult as it is to take, it was the average person, liberal to conservative that determined how limited resources were distributed.

I don't know how many funerals and memorials you all went to for friends, and brothers, fathers, significant others, etc. that died of AIDS, but I went to too many and I will never forgive the bastard that was in office.
Because politicians find cures? By that criteria, why didn't you find it? Do you castigate yourself daily and tell yourself to go to hell because you nor yours found a cure?

Regan got to live to 93, and some of my friends died in their 20's. It's because of Regan's legacy that we still don't have a cure. 'Management' of HIV is not an option. 'Education' is not good enough! Give us the cure!
Someone's hiding the cure to "give it to you?" You have evidence of this?

Simply, I don't think you're being fair. You've placed the "blame" in a convenient target who was not responsible that people contracted this or any other disease nor was he responsible for the lack of cure, a cure that doesn't exist today.

The simple fact is that the only HOPE for "cure" is prevention. Prevention comes through education. You would prefer we legislate prevention behavior or teach it?

#550298 06/07/04 06:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I though long and deliberatly about how to reply to this. Comet and Kent seem to think i have a large repository of hate for anyone different or 'fags'. They are wrong.

I have a good friend that is a lesbian. She also has diabeties. And she is raising the child of her drug addict brother. She also has a child of her own, of whom i am lucky enough to be the unofficial godfather. This makes me pretty proud.

But, my friend also likes to drink a little too much. And she doesn't take her medicine the way she should. My dad is also a diabetic. And he loves nothing more in this world than to eat nice, sugary foods that drive his sugar up, and have eaten his circulatory system up to the point where he walks fifty feet and has to fight for breath.

But, diabeties is a disease that you have no control over contracting. You can act in a responsible manner, and mitigate it, and hopefully be around for a long life and be a part of the life of those you love. So, i get angry with them when they act irresponsibly. Doesn't mean i hate them.

There are three known ways to contract aids that i know of. One of them has been nearly eliminated by blood screening in hospitals, etc...

The other two come about through actions that can be controlled. I never said it was easy. But it is controllable. And if my friend, or my dad acts in a way that causes them to leave my life, i will be supremely pissed. But it will be their actions that i hate. Not them. And i wont' blame others for their actions.

Maybe you get that i love them, but when their actions threaten to cut their lives short, it pisses me off. Maybe you don't. Maybe you think this is all bull. I can't help that. But before you pass judgement on me, you need to think about their actions and the pain it caused or causes you.

Comet, Kent, those were your assumptions. I can't tell you how wrong they are, but i do hope that, you especially Comet, get some relief from your anger. Cause you can't hate me, you don't know me. But you did know someone that hurt you by their actions, and if you don't resolve that, it's only gonna get worse.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#550299 06/07/04 11:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Pretty good post, Rick.

It's funny, because Lee (my partner) pretty much loathes Reagan, because he sees him in the context of the darker side of his policy (AIDS, ignoring of the poor, Iran/Contra, etc.)

Me, I kinda look back fondly at him cause when I think of him I remember his warmth and disarming personality and the intense love he and Nancy shared. We've had some discussions on this topic the past few days, and while Lee thinks fairly negatively of him, I can't help but think history will be fairly kind to the man. Two of his appointments (Alan Greenspan and Sandra Day O'Connor) have become two of the most influential people in America in the last 10 years (and don't anyone kid oneself, Sandra Day O'Connor controls 90% of the decisions that come out of the Supreme Court,) and the truism that history favors the victors is and always will be the truth, and the end of the Iron Curtain will be what Reagan is remembered for, for good or ill.

On the other side, he will also be remembered for the morally compromising decisions he made in the pursuit of taking down the USSR, including supporting Saddam Hussein AND Osama Bin Laden in the early 80's.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#550300 06/08/04 04:04 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
and Suharto

#550301 06/08/04 07:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Pretty good post, Rick.

It's funny, because Lee (my partner) pretty much loathes Reagan, because he sees him in the context of the darker side of his policy (AIDS, ignoring of the poor, Iran/Contra, etc.)

Me, I kinda look back fondly at him cause when I think of him I remember his warmth and disarming personality and the intense love he and Nancy shared. We've had some discussions on this topic the past few days, and while Lee thinks fairly negatively of him, I can't help but think history will be fairly kind to the man. Two of his appointments (Alan Greenspan and Sandra Day O'Connor) have become two of the most influential people in America in the last 10 years (and don't anyone kid oneself, Sandra Day O'Connor controls 90% of the decisions that come out of the Supreme Court,) and the truism that history favors the victors is and always will be the truth, and the end of the Iron Curtain will be what Reagan is remembered for, for good or ill.

On the other side, he will also be remembered for the morally compromising decisions he made in the pursuit of taking down the USSR, including supporting Saddam Hussein AND Osama Bin Laden in the early 80's.
Jeff, you and Lee are exactly like Caroline and myself. As her post showed, she thinks probably like Lee does while I totally share your point of view.

#550302 06/08/04 04:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry looks like I missed one. If people have nothing better to do than use this thread to call other people names then we'll close it.

RULES!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,443
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Dairaioh
Dairaioh
Florida
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star