Roll Call
0 members (), 4 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by thoth lad - 06/27/24 11:59 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 05:34 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 05:01 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/27/24 04:39 PM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 12:26 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 09:20 AM
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 04:00 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 03:59 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Superman Returns!
#547178 05/22/06 10:02 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Anyone planning on seeing this? The trailer looks okay, but the guy in the lead looks younger than the guy playing Clark on Smallville. Not only that, but the guy just doesn't seem to have the ...I don't know...pressence seems to be a good word.

Superman is a man. This guy still looks like a kid.

And i don't think the "gay" rumor is gonna help. I don't care about that, but i think the mainstream folks might. Not really trying to start something here, not meaning to hurt feelings since i like the folks here. Just wondering about your views on it.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: Superman Returns!
#547179 05/22/06 10:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't heard the gay rumor. What's the scoop?

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#547180 05/22/06 11:13 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I hadn't heard the gay rumor, either, not that I spend a lot of time tracking such things.

It's funny, but I always assumed Chris Reeve was gay. I was shocked after his riding accident to learn that he was married.

What's odd about the trailer in circulation is that you only hear Superman talking to Lois Lane. Presumably, this is an uncomfortable conversation for him. So, we really don't hear him talking like "Superman." Instead, we hear him talking like "Lois Lane's Ex-Boyfriend."

There's no doubt that Routh is sort of slender, but I understand he is really tall. So, he kind of clashes with the dominant image of Superman since 1986. But, his presence could still come off as imposing (or not, we shall see.) He could end up looking more like the Curt Swan Superman than the Byrne/Jurgens/Bogdanove/McGuinness/Timm Superman.

As for the age thing, both Routh and the actress playing Lois are really young. Apparently, this is quite intentional by director Bryan Singer. I would presume his intent is to start with as young a cast as possible so that he doesn't have to title a future sequel "Superman: The Quest for Continence."

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#547181 05/22/06 11:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
sigh I really wish we didn't have to keep starting new threads for topics that are covered in a minimum of three already. Here is one where Drake posted the gay rumor, still just a rumor for all I know.

Originally posted by rickshaw1:
...but the guy in the lead looks younger than the guy playing Clark on Smallville.
And here was my answer to this question (which Rick replied to).

Sorry, nothing against Rick or anyone else posting to this thread. I guess it is a pet peeve when original topics aren't used, causing the same or similar questions to be asked.

#547182 05/22/06 11:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

#547183 05/22/06 12:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As far as Brandon Routh being gay having been a prerequisite to him being cast, I don't know a) that Bryan Singer actually even has that kind of power, and b) that the actor would even consider "coming out" as a publicity stunt. I know if it were me I certainly wouldn't even consider it. There are things that go beyond fame.

Sounds more to me like whoever started that rumor has a problem with Bryan Singer being a successful director of comic book properties AND being gay, so he's trying to start something sensational.

Not talking about you, Rick, of course.

As far as gay rumors hurting Superman, it didn't do anything to stop the box-office killing Lord of the Rings made, so I don't know if that would be a factor. I think people are increasingly more able to separate actors from the parts they play these days. And thankfully, being gay really just isn't such a big deal anymore. (At least not like it was 20 years ago.)

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#547184 05/22/06 01:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Although anything is possible, I'm of the mind that this is just rumor. Bryan Singer has proven himself to be a successful director in the comic book movie genre, so I doubt that he would feel the need to do something so gimmicky. Unless the movie is truly crap, I guess, but somehow I doubt it.

Pulling a stunt like that would just be so... I don't know... Tom Cruisey smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#547185 05/22/06 01:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As for the actor, I'm wondering if they were going for someone who resembled Christopher Reeve. Brandon and Chris have similar body types, I think, and since this movie is suppopsed to be a continuation of the original series (or so I've been told, then I suppose it would make a sort of sense.

In my opinion, however, the first two movies were the only decent ones in the series. I would have much preferred that they relaunched the series from scratch, rather than try to recapture the magic of 25 years ago.

Guess that's why I'm not in the movie business smile

#547186 05/22/06 08:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Seeing the latest trailer made me a tad apprehensive that Singer might be adhering too much to the first two Reeve movies. Maybe it's cuz I've gotten used to Lex's characterization in "JLU", but seeing Spacey come very close to hamming it up in that one scene reminded me of Hackman.

Routh might not have the necessary gravitas for the role (and he is in fact younger than Tom Welling), but for some reason I'm more concerned about Bosworth's ability to pull off the tough as nails, smart mouthed Lois Lane.

#547187 05/23/06 05:55 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Scott, it was just a post. I was on a break at work and didn't even remember the other posts, much less see them. I was looking to see who was going to see it, not bring up the gay thing as a gay thing. I heard someone on the radio talking about it and wanted the reaction to that, not a gay is good/bad debate.

Sometimes, a post is just a post. If it bothers you though, feel free to delete it. I like you guys too much for hard feelings.

Something pithy!
#547188 05/23/06 06:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh, well, don't worry... Scott just doesn't want ol' Superman going all Veronica Mars on him!

(If that makes no sense, don't worry about it - it's about as inside a joke as can be.)

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#547189 05/24/06 01:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
But Veronica Mars deserves at least as many supurfluous threads as Superman!

Actually, now that they're one network, I'm waiting for both series finales to reveal that Veronica will grow up to take Lois' name and become the iconic Lois Lane that Superman falls in love with!

#547190 05/24/06 06:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Rick, I hope there isn't any hard feelings. None intended on my part. Like I said, I just get buggy about multiple threads on the same topic. And, for me, I search like crazy across all forums before starting something that someone else may have already done. I would not delete this thread and will, with your permission, just make it the official Superman Returns thread. Then we can sticky it since the movie begins in a little over a month.

As for Veronica Mars threads. I may just add those words to the banned word list. laugh

#547191 05/24/06 07:18 AM
Active
Active
I don't know about everyone else but my clan is anxiously awaiting this movie. My three year old, Kael, is the worlds biggest Superman fan and this is going to be a huge event for us.

As for Spacey hamming it up, I think he'll have some funny lines, etc. But I think he can pull off the pure menace that will be required. He's definitely proven he has the intensity.

Jamie

#547192 05/24/06 07:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess my only concern might be the Lois Lane role. I've only seen Kate in one other film (I think), but can't remember what I thought about her. I think you definitely need the right actress to pull off a character like Lois. Tough, yet feminine. I think that was the worst part of Batman Returns, for instance. I don't think Katie Holmes was right for the part. She was just too wimpy/wispy, and I had a hard time picturing her as an assistant DA. She felt more like a secretary, or maybe a reporter for Teen Beat smile

Time will tell, I guess, but I have faith in Bryan. Don't prove me wrong, Bry! wink

#547193 05/24/06 07:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Singer is the only reason I have faith in this version. Maybe Spacey too as he's one of my favs. But Singer stands the best chance to pull this off.

Did anyone catch the latest trailer, not the ones being shown on TV? With the crook shooting Superman in the eye? That was cool. The look on Superman's face after the bullet 'hits' almost gives me faith in Routh at least pulling off the costumed part of his role.

#547194 05/24/06 08:55 AM
Deputy
Deputy
The one problem that I have is that I think the actor playing Superman looks too young for the plot that I've heard. I can buy him as a young Superman just appearing to the public for the first time, but not as a worldwide hero returning from space...

#547195 05/24/06 09:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think since all the casts have been de-aged a bit I think it would work. Kate Bosworth is pretty young. So is the kid playing Jimmy. I think it will all work out. And Scott I saw the bullet in the eye too. That was awesome and his expression was priceless.

#547196 05/25/06 03:27 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I do worry that Spacey will ham it up. His death in LA Confidential was quiet and powerful. For some reason, everyone really wants to ham it up on villians rather than invest real menace in the character...case in point...Bullseye in the Daredevil movie.

Something pithy!
#547197 05/25/06 03:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I kinda liked Colin Farrell in Daredevil. To me he seemed to fit the character. But then I think DareDevil was one of the better comic book based movies.

#547198 05/25/06 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He's played John Doe, Keyser Soze and Mel Proffit -- he could make an awesome Luthor, but I imagine Singer's direction will really determine the tone. Time will tell...

#547199 05/26/06 08:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I kinda liked Colin Farrell in his sex tape... but I guess technically he wasn't acting laugh

#547200 05/26/06 03:51 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Now why did ya hafta go and make me loose my lunch? It was perfectly nice macaroni and cheese.

wink

Something pithy!
#547201 05/31/06 11:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Just saw the new trailer. My confidence level has gone WAAY up now, mainly because of the plot -- Luthor using Kryptonian technology to take over the world. I think that is a great approach to Luthor -- the only man smart enough and evil enough to turn the legacy of Krypton against Superman. It makes him really a credible threat, and it flows from his intelligence, arrogance and resentment. I loved the line "gods are selfish people who fly around in little red capes and refuse to share their powers with mankind."

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#547202 06/27/06 11:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok so I saw it tonight.

It was freaking fantastic. No spoiler brackets needed, just talking about the tone and feeling of the movie here.

It hit all the right notes. Great action, great acting, great characterization, great humour and is just plain great. I left the movie feeling very happy and knowing this movie is going to break records. My friend that is not into comics that much loved the movie too.

This was so better then X3. All the heart, emtion and feeling X3 should have had was in spades in Superman Returns. I can see why James Mardsen-Cyclops -jumped ship to do this movie. Bryan Singer is a great director that truely understands the characters.

The movie is just plain awesome. On to see it on IMAX.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,510
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
BLA, Queer Legion
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star