Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 10/09/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Korbal - 10/09/24 01:22 PM
Any recommendations
by Ann Hebistand - 10/09/24 10:09 AM
The All-Rockhopper Lad Appreciation thread
by Ann Hebistand - 10/09/24 09:51 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 10/09/24 07:48 AM
So What Are You Still Doing Right Now?
by Invisible Brainiac - 10/09/24 07:29 AM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
Share more completely random things!
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 77 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 76 77
Re: American Idol
#520216 05/17/05 09:27 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Lash, I hope you're listening to the mp3's from one of the websites, when you can! In fact, I find that listening later can be a better experience than during.

Now, my review...
ROUND 1
Vonzell's version of "I'll Never Love This Way Again" was sweet, but I agree with Clive Davis... it should be an emotional love song about yearning. Vonzell should have made us cry tonight with that one.

Bo's "Don't Let the Sun..." was excellent. Clay Aiken did a great version of it in season 2, and George Michael did a great duet with Elton himself on it, but Bo brought it back to a more raw rock and roll ballad. Very cool.

Carrie sang my all-time-favorite-song-ever, "Crying." I have a collection of different versions of that song, and I'm happy to add Carrie's performance to that collection. I don't think she needed the falsetto at the end, the way she did it worked. Simon said it seemed a bit "wooden" and though I think that's a tad too extreme of a description, it does give the idea of my problem with her performance. Like I said about Vonzell, Carrie should have made us all want to blubber after hearing and seeing her do that.

You all know that I'm a major Bo Bice fan, and maybe, just maybe I'll regret saying this, but I give Round 1 to Carrie, just because Crying is my personal favorite song.

ROUND 2
Vonzell sings "Chain of Fools." I liked it, and the judges and audience seemed really into it. It must have been fun, live....(wait for it....) BUT, that song is just getting tired. Really, no one can top Aretha's version and a LOT of people have tried. Last season, Fantasia did it, and I think a lot better than Vonzie. Still, V was having some fun!

Bo did the ballsy move of singing au capella. It was a song I don't know, but it was so Bo's type of thing. He sounded flawless and the audience was really impressed. I was impressed. That guy is smooth!

Carrie did "Making Love out of Nothing At All." Now that was a surprise. The next surprise was that it went so well. I think it's better coming from a pretty woman instead of...well...Air Supply. Her vocals were gigantic. I liked it.

I pick Bo for winner of round 2. I suppose it helps that he did a song that I don't know, really well. For me, it makes him own it. It was really brave to sing without accompaniment, and he pulled it off. I already like him, so now there's even more reason.

ROUND 3
Simon chose "On the Radio" for Vonzell. Again, she did well. No critiques. I don't know if I've mentioned yet how beautiful she is. Like that isn't obvious...

Bo did "Satisfaction." Simon called it fluff, which, I suppose is fairly true, but it was fun. I liked the bluesier instrumentation later on in the song, maybe that could have been done a little more throughout. Still, Bo was total Bo rockin' the house. Tonight's episode will go down in history as the "Bo Show."

Carrie did "Man, I Feel Like a Woman." Well, it's the perfect song for her because I don't think she's ever shown more personality onstage. It must be hard to sing because it starts off really low, which sounded almost "off" but she finished strong.

Round 3...Bo! I suppose that's no surprise. I won't be home tomorrow night, so I hope my family tapes the results show for me.

#520217 05/17/05 09:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think Vonzell has the best personal style of any previous AI contentsant ever. She always looks great. Great hair, great outfit and great smile.

She was smoking in the brown dress with baby blue ribbon around the waist.

#520218 05/17/05 10:04 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Most beautiful, too!

#520219 05/18/05 06:04 AM
Active
Active
Vonzell is a dream.

That being said, last night was Bo's coronation. That a capella was the type of performance that Simon will be comparing future AI contestants too, in the way he references Fantasia's Summertime.

This contest is SO over.

#520220 05/18/05 08:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not sure if this has been mentioned or if anyone's interested, but some company just re-released the CD that Constantine guy made with his grunge band. _Pray for the Soul of Betty_ or some such.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#520221 05/18/05 08:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've listened to a couple of tracks off of that CD. Ehh. Not bad but not really outstanding either.

#520222 05/18/05 08:29 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, is there anywhere online to hear some of the songs these finalists sing? I heard Bo Bice's voice this morning on the radio (the a capella perforance people keep mentioning) and it sounded really good! I'm curious to other songs he's done (never watched the show).

#520223 05/18/05 10:08 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So, is there anywhere online to hear some of the songs these finalists sing? I heard Bo Bice's voice this morning on the radio (the a capella perforance people keep mentioning) and it sounded really good! I'm curious to other songs he's done (never watched the show).
Try here Coby: http://www.AIbyrequest.com

#520224 05/18/05 10:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I hadn't voted in a couple of weeks until last night. Finally managed to get 15 votes in for Bo but it took the full two hours and the last 30 seconds to get that 15th one in. When did they start using the contestant's to do the recorded message? Bo's was perfect but both girls (I gave them each a vote) weren't very clear.

#520225 05/18/05 10:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thanks Scooter! I've just checked out this site and heard a few of Bo's songs. I have to say...I really like his voice!

Any other recommendations on the others (songwise I mean). I heard Constantine's "Bohemian Rapsody" was very good and checked it out and liked it.

#520226 05/18/05 10:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Carrie's version of Heart's "Alone". It should be in the Top 11 list.

#520227 05/18/05 10:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cool! Carrie's "If You Don't Know Me by Now" and Vonzell's "How do I live" are pretty good too!

It appears (to someone whose never seen the show) that the best performances are towards the later rounds--everyone learning more and more each week.

#520228 05/18/05 01:14 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Uh oh, Cobie's gonna get hooked like the rest of us, now! Yeah!

I've been a fan of Bo ever since the very early rounds when he did "Whipping Post." I'm sure you've heard Lash and I rave about Nadia, how unique she is, and you've heard Bubble and I gush over Vonzell's beauty (and talent). The show definitely gets better near the end of the season because the really good performers (and generally favorite ones) get to do more than one song in a show.

#520229 05/18/05 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, the results don't air here for another 20 minutes but I had to peek at the board to see who got the boot. You know, they really need to work out some kind of delay thing or broadcast this at the same time no matter the zone. Either that or lock down the Idol boards until the last time zone has aired the episode.

Looking forward to next week!

#520230 05/18/05 07:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I saw tonight's ep... I made *DAMN* sure of it.

Well, it had to happen this way... just as Jasmine last year could not compete with Diana and Fantasia, so too fell Vonzell to the Carrie/Bo juggernaut.

All 3 did excellently on their songs tonight.

What a great season this has been, much more so than last year. Drama and talent galore.

Next week is going to be incredible.

And Cobie, check out some of Nadia's tunes... she rocks out on "There's A Power" and "Try A Little Tenderness", is a lot of fun on "My Love", puts an awesome Mary J. Blige spin on "When I Dream" and of course no one can touch her when she sings "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me".

I'm glad it's almost over. I'm already anticipating next year. laugh

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520231 05/18/05 11:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I was at work, and couldn't watch, and my wife taped Alias for my son, who's at the Star Wars movie, so until it's posted at watchidol.com, I'm missing out.

So, Vonzell is out. I figured as much. She's really a doll, so I'm sure she'll do well out there.

Okay then, Carrie and Bo. Gosh, I hope Bo wins!

#520232 05/19/05 12:28 AM
Leader
Leader
Not a huge surprise really, Carrie and Bo were pretty much guaranteed their final places from about halfway through and are certainly both better singers than Vonzell, but Vonzell is potentially a great singer and already a better performer than Carrie who, no matter how good her voice is, still has a tendency to look a little uncomfortable on stage.

Should be a very interesting final though. Two very, very different performers. I wonder if they'll both have to do the same song again and if so how different they'll make it. A rock version and a country version of the same song could be very interesting.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#520233 05/21/05 05:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I got the AI4 cd today!!

Let me start off and say, Overall, this cd is a VAST improvement over the AI3 cd! Titled THE SHOWSTOPPERS, I imagine it's (supposedly) the standout performance for each of the top 12...

Let's touch on each individual track (in order)...

Carrie, "INDEPENDENCE DAY": Skillfully sung, of course, though I'm afraid she suffers from "country songbird generic-itis". What is unique about her voice? What does she have that several other already established country gals have?

Bo, "I DON'T WANNA BE": Well, it's Bo so you know its good, but I think it suffers from the fact that the original song is still in regular radio rotation. My choice for Bo would have been "Whipping Post".

Vonzell, "Best of My Love": Fun... Perky... Well-Done... Much like the lovely Vonzell herself!

Anwar, "A House Is Not A Home": Oh dear. Sure, it's lovely and all, but it's so... well, it sounds more like it belongs on the AI Season 3 cd. Plus, the A-man sounds kind-of... well, gay. Fitting, I suppose. This track is in the unfortunate position to be this cd's "skip track" for me, because it's so slow and because the next song is by...

Nadia, "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me": Haven't I raved about Nadia's version of this enough? No, because I finally got to hear her do the FULL version here instead of the AI shortened version. FAB, just fab.

Nikko, "Part-Time Lover": Nikko did himself proud. Hearing this made me think he might should have lasted a couple weeks longer in the competition!

Constantine, "My Funny Valentine": This sexy jazzed-up version is a whole lotta fun! You can just FEEL him making big ol' cheesey goo-goo eyes at you while he's singing it. YUM, cheese is good.

Jessica, "Total Eclipse of the Heart": Her voice is certainly a lot older than she is. I'll always prefer this style voice (Bonnie Riatt, Lucinda Williams) over the power-noter Celine/Whitney types. Also in Jessica's favor is that she can MAKE those power-notes too, in her earthy tone.

Anthoy, "Every Time You Go Away": Very well done, though not better than the original. There's just a quality about the orginal that is hard to match or top.

Scott, "Against All Odds": This song never really connected with me until I heard a female do it (Mariah Carey). It just seems so wussified for a guy, and it just doesn't fit Scott's "wannabe-gangsta soul guy" pseudo-image. That said, he sings it very well. I'm just not really a fan.

Lindsey, "Knock On Wood": Fine and all, but I sure would have preferred her "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". How can her performance of this be considered a "SHOWSTOPPER" when she was sent home the next night?

Mikalah, "God Bless the Child": This was the 1 track I was worried about, but her jazzy, mid-tempo version is a lot of fun and sounds very nice. Well done, Mikki!

And finally, the whole gang teams up for the studio version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me". Now this isn't my favorite type of song at all, it just sounds like it was written by a roomful of 45-year old white dudes. Still, this cd version of it is the best I've heard it done.

All in all, thumbs up, for certain.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520234 05/21/05 10:46 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks for the review Lash. I just bet I'd have very similar thoughts on the songs as you.

Funny, my favorite songs by Bo have been the ones that have gotten him the worst remarks from the judges. I liked "Corner of the Sky" from musicals night, and "Great Day to Be Alive" from country night. I still wish there was a chance for Bo to do "Easy to Be Hard" from Hair.

I'm totally curious about which duet they'll have Bo and Carrie do. Should be good.

I LOVED Vonzell's solo version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me." I wish that was how it was being released. Maybe it'll be on her solo album?

#520235 05/22/05 05:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Based on how fab Baby V sounds on the AI4 cd, they would have to be insane to deny her a record deal. She translates WELL to cd. So I expect to be seeing a glossily-produced Vonzell cd shortly after August (when the AI4 tour ends).

#520236 05/22/05 05:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And your mention of musicals night reminds me of how much I-- and the Nadia Nation on the AI MB-- wanted Nadia to do AQUARIUS that night.

But her fantastic version of AS LONG AS HE NEEDS ME was so fabulous, her doing AQUARIUS would have denied me that.

*sigh* I know I go on and on about Nadia, but HEY! I'm in love!

#520237 05/23/05 12:25 PM
Active
Active
I **really** would like to see Bo and Carrie do "Stop Dragging My Heart Around"!

That would rock.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow night!

#520238 05/23/05 08:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
re: the AI4 cd...

Many listens later, I gladly change my original review of Anwar's song. It's lovely and has grown on me quite well, and I haven't had the urge to skip it once. The tracks I have skipped are Carrie's and the Ensemble number.

#520239 05/24/05 05:14 AM
Active
Active
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Here's the songs for tonight:

BO
In Your Heaven
Vehicle
Long, Long Road

CARRIE
In Your Heaven
Independence Day
Angels Brought Me Here

From ET's AI site.

#520240 05/24/05 02:56 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The only songs I recognize are Vehicle and Independence Day, which both singers did really well. This is going to be quite a show! I want Bo to win, of course, but Carrie's darn good.

Page 28 of 77 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 76 77

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,058
Posts1,049,175
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Sambo253
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Hamz
Hamz
NW Indiana
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star