Roll Call
0 members (), 21 Murran Spies, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 10/10/24 02:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 10/10/24 02:39 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Happy birthday, Jfposey!
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legion Trivia 6
What are you looking for in your scifi?
by Set - 10/09/24 10:00 PM
Miscasting characters - The miscasting continues
by stile86 - 10/09/24 09:55 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 77 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 76 77
Re: American Idol
#520016 03/31/05 05:14 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Found a cool link....watchidol.com!

#520017 03/31/05 05:22 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Fantasia's supposed to perform on the next results show!

#520018 04/01/05 12:45 PM
Leader
Leader
OK, so this week's ep is on now. Jessica has been on and was good, but didn't do a very good song.

And now Anwar has just finished. OK, so first I will admit that I detest R Kelly and of all his whiny ghastly songs I detest 'I Believe I Can Fly' the most.

Only Anwar just made it even more awful. He was out of tune all the way through, he was straining his voice and just sounded bloody awful. Urgh, he so should have gone this week.

I'll be back later after the others...

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#520019 04/01/05 12:55 PM
Leader
Leader
Nadia: Eh. She was OK. Much better than last week, but it didn't grab me.

Constantine is singing now. Don't know the song but it's a bit dull. I can't see the Tv so I don't know if he's being annoying visually (probably is) but it's not made me go wow.

Oh, and Bo earlier I thought was dissapointing. Not a good song (in fact none of the songs have been good yet) and just a bit... well, it was the kind of thing that Bo can do in his sleep. It wasn't anything special of different.

#520020 04/01/05 01:01 PM
Leader
Leader
Nikko: Gosh, that boy sure can shout can't he? I have no idea about singing though because all he did was *shout*. He and Anwar both need somone to sit down to them and beat it into them that performing one huge in tune note at the end does not mean that you're performed well.

And what are Randy and Paula on tonight? Apparently everyone has been fabulous but not one of them has actually impressed me at all.

Oh, Anthony has started now.....

OK, he can join Nikko and Anwar in the 'how not to shout' workshop. Actually a very good song but very poorly performed. I mean, he wasn't out of tune or anything but he's just... he's so bloody dull.

#520021 04/01/05 01:03 PM
Leader
Leader
Carrie: Heh heh heh. The whole red neck chick isn't just an act is it? The whole 'my Dad was cleaning his shotguns' story was so blase it made me smirk.

Oooh, Melissa Etheridge, and one of my favourites too. I've gotta go watch this one.

#520022 04/01/05 01:07 PM
Leader
Leader
Perfectly in tune, she looks cute, she's getting her personality across on stage now abnd she's learning to be a performer rather than just a singer. The song was much to short, it didn't give her a chance to really get going, but certainly the best performance tonight. In fact the only really good one so far (Bo was good in terms of the performing with his hat and stuff, but Carrie beat him hands down in terms of vocals).

OK, from the almost sublime (potentially) to the ghastly. Scott. Does he actually know what tune he's supposed to be singing? He sounds like someone is repeatedly kicking him in the knackers (not a bad idea in my book) and seems to think that if he shoots up and down the scales (slightly off all the way up and down) then we'll not notice the fact that... well, he's usually in tune but has no personality (or what personality he has is just creepy) and just isn't of any kind of interest.

Oooh, Vonzell next but it's ad break time so back shortly.

#520023 04/01/05 01:22 PM
Leader
Leader
OK, another disclaimer, I hate Whitless Howling and this is one of my least favourite songs, but...

OK, so Vonzell did do pointless warbling in a few points (when will singers learn warbling like that doesn't mean you can sing?) but she showed a fine example of how you *can* have the huuuuuuge notes without actually sacrificing the singing as well. She looked damn fine too (not as hot as the last couple of weeks, but still mighty fine).

Oooh, they're recapping and Anthony is even worse second time round. Urgh.

Yeah, so back to Vonzell. I think she's going to be one to watch now, she's got better every week, but I still... I dunno, I kinda feel that good as she is, and beautiful as she is she just doesn't have that certain something that sets her apart from everyone else. Not so much in this competition, but in the world of music. She's kinda like Latoya (or was it Letitia?) last time in that she sings very, very well but you just feel that she's not quite all she should be. Does that make sense?

But, purely in terms of performances tonight I'd rate them (from top tp bottom):

Vonzell
Carrie
Bo
Jessica

Nadia
Constantine

Nikko
Anwar

Scott
Anthony

All in all then, not a very good nigth from anyone, apart from Carrie and Vonzell and even then neither of them made me sit back and go 'wow'. I was very disappointed with Bo (because he's usually so damn good) and Nadia seems to have gone a bit flat. I'm not nearly as excited about the final any more. They all really need to pull it together otherwise it's gonna be almost as tedious as the final of Pop Idol 2 here in the UK.

Oh alright, not that bad unless Bo and Carrie get booted before the final, but nearly. tongue

#520024 04/02/05 12:37 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
This is so much fun!

I only saw a couple episodes of the first season of AI, so I was really late getting to know those contestants. I saw the finale and I fell totally in love with Kelly Clarkson. I also thought Justin was great, so right up til the announcement, I had no idea who would win. After the season ended, I bought the dvd and Kelly's album. I was hooked... The most dramatic thing that happened that season was that Tamyra only made it to 4th place. I think everyone thought she'd be at least in the top 3.

In season 2, there was no doubt that Ruben, Clay and Kimberly Locke (KLo) would be the top 3. It was just a matter of which order they'd finish. Every week, I knew for sure that I'd be thoroughly entertained by these three in particular. The others were okay, Josh Gracin has a country career now. Trenyce was cool. Kimberly Caldwell is on the TVGuide channel a lot now. Carmen was terrible (but cute!). I didn't vote, but all along I was rooting for Ruben. Then, on the night of the announcement, I was kinda hoping it'd be Clay. Still, they pretty much all won.

Last season, I fell in love with Fantasia immediately. Her performances were always really good. I appreciate Diana, but was never a big fan of hers. I LOVED Latoya, too. Couldn't believe that it wasn't a contest between her and Fantasia. In fact, if it had turned out that way, I think it would have been really good tv!

Last Christmas, when Kelly, Ruben and Fantasia had that special, I knew it was right that these three should be the title holders. They sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" a sort of gospel/spiritual song. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing that song. Each one of them did their part just perfectly.

So far this season, Bo is my favorite. I realize that Carrie is really making a strong showing, though. I hope Bo does something really amazing to keep that edge. I think I have equal admiration for Nadia, Constantine and Vonzell. The rest can fall away and I'd be aight.

#520025 04/02/05 01:38 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Nah, I hope Nadia is #3.

#520026 04/03/05 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dean I really enjoyed reading your AI history! Mine's all right here in this thread, as I completely missed seasons 1 & 2.

As for this season, Carrie still leaves me cold. I'm totally rooting for Nadia, Bo and Constantine for top 3.

At first I was put off by Con a bit, as I was mesmerized by Bo's flowing locks and cavemanesque good looks! But after seeing Con do everything from Seal to Partridge Family to Bonnie Riatt to The Police, I've really come to like him. I think stuff he does, like his OH-so-practiced goo-goo eyes, his "call me!", his little "rock & roll" kick during the goofy group song, etc. are so cheesy and endearing.

Hey Dean, do you know if the MP3s on the AIbyrequest group are downloadable to a blank CD? I'd love to collect Nadia, Jennifer, Camille etc. on 1 CD!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520027 04/04/05 09:49 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yes.
I made a cd of all of Fantasia's performances last season. I purchased her actual album cd in the store though!!

I've always liked Nadia more than Carrie, except for that Time After Time performance. In fact, I went back and watched when Nadia performed "There's a Power" and "Try a Little Tenderness." She was so cool. I've posted several times about my love for "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me." Yeah. I love me some Nadia!

#520028 04/04/05 10:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:

As for this season, Carrie still leaves me cold. I'm totally rooting for Nadia, Bo and Constantine for top 3.

At first I was put off by Con a bit, as I was mesmerized by Bo's flowing locks and cavemanesque good looks! But after seeing Con do everything from Seal to Partridge Family to Bonnie Riatt to The Police, I've really come to like him. I think stuff he does, like his OH-so-practiced goo-goo eyes, his "call me!", his little "rock & roll" kick during the goofy group song, etc. are so cheesy and endearing.

I second and third everything you said.

#520029 04/04/05 05:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Yes.
I made a cd of all of Fantasia's performances last season.
GROOVY!!

Step 1: Go buy blank CDs.

Step 2: Ask Dean how to download MP3s! (if it requires a CD burner I'm outta luck)

Willikers! I'm nervous about this week!

Will Anthony sing his last or will "The Fedoration" (his online fans) come through again?

Will Anwar pull out of him slump? Or will the "Anwarrioirs" (his online fans) pull him out of bottom 3?

Will Nikko grab his crotch again?

Will America warm back up to Nadia or will she be sent packing?

What unexpected number will Con do next?

Will Bo continue to turn me on? Will I still be jealous of his hair?

Will Carrie sound pretty but appear to be a porcelain Stepford Idol again?

Will Vonzell look hot? The "Fanzells" know she will!

And lastly, will Scott's semi-scandal dump him squarely into the bottom 3?

I MUST KNOW!!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#520030 04/04/05 11:19 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
[b]Yes.
I made a cd of all of Fantasia's performances last season.
GROOVY!!

Step 1: Go buy blank CDs.

Step 2: Ask Dean how to download MP3s! (if it requires a CD burner I'm outta luck)

**Uh, I do believe that you need a cd burner in order to burn cds. Still, it's superfun to have them on the computer. I play my favorite AI songs while I discuss Legion. I blend both worlds and I'm SO happy!

Willikers! I'm nervous about this week!

Will Anthony sing his last or will "The Fedoration" (his online fans) come through again?

**I've lost my interest in him. I'm no member of the Fedoration. I mean, he *did* underwhelm me on MY song (Something else else About the Way...)

Will Anwar pull out of him slump? Or will the "Anwarrioirs" (his online fans) pull him out of bottom 3?

**I hope he does something to deserve being backed by Anwarriors!

Will Nikko grab his crotch again?

**Ew!

Will America warm back up to Nadia or will she be sent packing?

**NADIA NADIA NADIA NADIA NADIA

What unexpected number will Con do next?

**Heh!

Will Bo continue to turn me on? Will I still be jealous of his hair?

**I'm jealous of his hair, but I admire his showmanship more.

Will Carrie sound pretty but appear to be a porcelain Stepford Idol again?

**Maybe it's because I'm not instantly into country music.... I think Carrie's talented but not my type.

Will Vonzell look hot? The "Fanzells" know she will!

**I'm a FANZELL!!!!!

And lastly, will Scott's semi-scandal dump him squarely into the bottom 3?

**Whatever.

I MUST KNOW!!!!

**Thanks for all the fanclub names, Lash! Didn't know them before!

[/b]

#520031 04/05/05 06:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bo's fans are The Bice Squad, a cute name!

So the 2 rumours are that tonight's theme is either "Coast to Coast" or "Broadway" night, but the AI site has been wrong half the time about the themes this season. Dunno why they're being so secretive about the themes this year. I'd still love a 1-Hit Wonders night.

#520032 04/05/05 10:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have it on good authority that Carrie thinks she's been exciting enough. She's decided to tone it down for the rest of the season and will be choosing her selections exclusively from the Anne Murray and Celine Dionne songbooks.

Scott has started to believe in himself a little more and will now add crotch-grabbing to his small but trusty repertoire of gestures.

Constantine finally reveals that Austin Powers is in fact his father.

Nadia will be doing her hair in two big 'fro pigtails and singing "On the Good Ship Lollypop," which she will dedicate to Mario. Simon will pee himself.

Anwar has decided to skip his song and go straight to the final note which he will hold for his alloted one-minute of screen time. Paula, will give him a standing ovation.

In a misguided attempt to change his image, Anthony will wear chaps and a leather vest. It will later be revealed that his nipple rings were clip-ons, though.

#520033 04/05/05 11:01 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What about Bo? wink

#520034 04/05/05 11:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Bo gets in touch with his feminine side. In a move he'll surely live to regret, he lets Carrie and Vonzell perm and style his hair. The result, a cross between Texas big-hair and a Supremes 60's wig, is the height of irony with his over the top performance of Eric Burdon's "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood."

#520035 04/05/05 06:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Tonight was kind-of just "ehh" for me.

But there WERE some standouts...

1. NADIA. Even the Nadia-naysayers must have been touched by her performance. It brought a tear to my eye. I just adore her. She owns the stage in ways that Carrie and Vonzell only dream of. She brought my personal house down!

2. CONSTANTINE. Not only did he select the BEST song of the night-- "My Funny Valentine", a tune I have an odd fascination with (and small collection of disparate performances of)-- but he owned the viewing audience. The sexy spin he put on it was brilliant. I'm glad he's fully revealed himself as an actor and not a rocker. Hopefully Simon will never call him "rocker" again.

3. BO. An easy breezy lighthearted romp, thoroughly enjoyable. Simon was way off base here (and wasn't he just OH so even HARDER to please than usual tonight).

The rest all ranged, for me, from "aaight" to "ick".

Simon's comparing Carrie's performance to watching a 1965 washing powder commercial was hys-freaking-terical. And though she sounds lovely, I completely agree. Lots of commercial-jingle singers have beautiful voices!

If anyone other than Anwar, Anthony or Scott go home tomorrow, it will be criminal. I think Nikko's still semi-hanging in there, but only barely.

Guess which 3 get my votes tonight?

#520036 04/05/05 07:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm not going to give a play-by-play for this week since, like Lash, it was kind of just "ehh" for me too. I had hoped for some better song selection. Maybe they'll take Simon's suggestion to heart (if Ryan really does pick the themes).

I'll also agree with Lash on Contantine and Bo. Constantine is really coming into his own, more and more each week. I just wish that the music hadn't overpowered his performance. But still it was the best of the night.

And a big thank you to Simon for calling the 'big note' singers out. He said exactly the same thing I've been saying. A big note does not make a song.

#520037 04/05/05 09:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
With all the great songs to pick from, I was under-whelmed by the songs that were chosen.

Scott was awful. He was seldom in tune and his voice had a really grating quality. He kind of sang "The Impossible Dream."

Vonzell looked amazing. She sang "People." It was ok, but not great.

Nikko was really boring and I just don't like his voice. He sang one half of a forgetable duet from West Side Story.

Constantine was very good, but it was hard to hear him over the band. I'm beginning to think Constantine has a really good shot to take it all. He sang "My Funny Valentine."

Anthony did a pretty good job with "Climb Every Mountain." He made it sound like a pop song. The judges were way too harsh with him.

Anwar was good, but not memorable. He's a jazz singer and should pick those sorts of songs.

I actually liked Carrie this week, even though the song was not memorable. Her hair looked nice. She sang "Hello Young Lovers" (or something like that) from The King and I.

Bo was good, but the song was not memorable. It was "Corner of the Sky" from Pippin. I kept thinking, "You goofball - why didn't you pick a song from "Hair" or "Godspell" or "Jesus Christ Superstar". There are lots of songs in those musicals that suit his voice.

And then came Nadia. She blew me away just standing there in that long white gown. She's a star - not question about it. The song again was not memorable but she sang it well. There wasn't much range to the tune, but the tonal quality of her voice is so pleasing, that I forgot about that.

All in all, a disappointing week. Not so much for the singing, because most of the singers were quite good. Rather, I was disappointed because just about everyone chose a lacklustre song. What a waste.

Who should go? Definitely Scott. I wouldn't mind if Nikko left either.

#520038 04/05/05 11:24 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I agree that song choices were a problem tonight. However, I'm almost sure that when I give second and third and in most cases... MORE listens, I'll like the performances more.

Here's my review, least favorite to most...

9. Anthony. I actually liked the way the song was arranged and presented, but he needed to totally nail the vocals, and he didn't. He looked distracted, too, like he knew he wasn't hitting it. I keep reminding myself that he's really young.

8. Scott. Diana, Fantasia, Kelly and Ruben did that song at the finale last season, and yes, they are a potent group, but individually, each one of them was better than Scott. I've always thought that he has a great voice, but he just didn't have control of it this time. Again, an ambitious song that needed a great voice. Didn't happen.

7. Nikko. I just think he's unremarkable. I don't really know West Side Story that well, so I don't recall the song, and Nikko didn't help that.

6. Vonzell. We all know that I'm a Fanzell, so I want to rate her higher, it's just that I felt like she was out of her league. I agree with what Simon said about last season, when Fantasia and Latoya did Barbra Streisand songs. Each of them made it their own. Vonzell kinda did that, but she needed to TOTALLY do that.

5. Anwar. A solid performance. I have no critiques, but I also didn't feel that affected.

4. Bo. I agree with Semi about his song choice. He could have chosen something that would have blown us away, but he just pointed a finger at a song. Still, he's so charismatic and he did a solid vocal performance. It made me curious about the song and the muscial it came from.

3. Carrie. I can't get over Lash's comment about her being a Stepford Wife! She totally looked that part tonight! Still, she looked very pretty and sang very well. Another song I don't really know, but she owned it.

2. Constantine. A great new arrangement for that song. It could have been a *calamity* but he pulled it off. He's cheesy, but it's part of his schtick. At least he laughs along when Simon calls him out on that.

1. Nadia. I don't know that song, and the reason she's #1 for me is because she makes me believe that it's HER song. She looked totally stunning. Her charisma and sex appeal combine with her sexy voice, making her my favorite this week! I know this word is thrown around a lot, but she was DIVA!

#520039 04/06/05 12:33 AM
Leader
Leader
Is it just me or does this year seem a little... I dunno, lacklustre? We clearly have some *very* good singers (Bo, Carrie, Vonzell, Constantine and Nadia, when Constantine and Nadia are on form) and the rest aren't bad by a long shot, but the last few weeks have mostly just been... 'eh'. There have been very few performances that have been absolutely outstanding. Nothing to compare with Fantasia doing 'What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life' (which is still one fo my favourite AI performances ever. Heartbreaking and beautiful and the point that she showed quite how good she is) or Latoya or Jennifer. Nothing that hold a candle to Clay or Ruben. They just seem... good, but not great. Bo and Nadia have come close, and Carrie has a perfect singing voice but hasn't got the personality she needs. Vonzell is very good, but is still missing that something that made some of the other contestants so good, and the songs all seem to be so dull. Maybe not dull, but there's been nothign that comes as a complete surprise and is fabulous for that. Maybe I'm expecting too much based on previous years but for some reason despite the obvious talent in the group I just don't feel as passionate about anyone as I have in the past. When Jennifer got voted out I was absolutely mortified because she was fantastic, but even if Bo (my current favourite) went early on I wouldn't feel like that. I'd be annoyed but not upset really.

Hmmm. I think everyone really needs to up their games if they have any chance of really being truly memorable.

#520040 04/06/05 04:30 AM
Active
Active
I missed Scott but caught everyone else, and for the most part thought they were solid, albeit boring, performances.

I thought Anthony was TERRIBLE. I cringed throughout the whole performance. I think his teeny-bopper looks will carry him far, but I also think he runs the risk of Simon's merciless wrath a la Nikki in season one if he hangs on for too long in the competition based solely on his fanbase.

I felt like I was suddenly watching a new, improved, "colorized" version of the Lawrence Welk show when Carrie was out there, I kept looking for the bubbles! tongue

Bo, yuck, PLEASE someone do something with that hair! It just lays there. If you're gonna keep it long then at least do something with it, for God's sake you've got Hollywood's best hair stylists working on you, take advatange of it, maybe a Michael Hutchence (INXS) perm... anything! The one positive thing you can say about it is that it looks VERY clean. (how unrocker-like lol)

Nikko... blech, I can't ever understand anything he sings and I've come to realize it's because he hits the undernotes to everything, he never seems to let the notes actually evolve and develop, he just moves along to the next one. I love West Side Story and had no idea what he was singing. tongue

The two people who stood out for me were Constantine and Nadia, and I can't say I've been a fan of either. I thought Constantine ran the risk of being drowned out by the band early on but pulled it out, love that song. And Nadia looked and sounded amazing, inspite of the signature harsh, over-the-top facial expressions... I really want to like this girl, I just need to look away and listen to her perform when she's on.

Page 20 of 77 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 76 77

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,058
Posts1,049,197
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Jfposey, Kent Shakespeare, tank
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Anita Cocktail
Anita Cocktail
Gorilla Nebula Pub
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star