Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 26 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 08:53 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 06/26/24 08:47 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 08:39 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Brave and the Bold
#518695 12/01/07 03:14 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Can it be that no one's started a thread about this title?

I guess it was over on the LSH board since the Legion was involved in the first storyline.

They're not scheduled to be in upcoing issues, I don't believe. So it's time to discuss B&B here, if there's going to be any discussion.

This month's issue featured the FLASH and the DOOM PATROL, minus its 'new' members, Vox and Bumblebee.

Wally West and his wife, Linda, take their children to Dr. Niles Caulder at the DP HQ to see if the mad scientist can help them with their children's unstable speed-related powers.

I enjoyed reading this issue, but there was one 'revelation' that makes me nonplussed. Rita Farr, we're told' constantly wears an artifical rictus grin now because she fears being seen as a freak.

What?

On one hand, that would give a touch of freakiness to the most visually normal Patroller. On the other hand, it was her inward freakiness that made Rita fit in with her fellow Doom Patrol members.

It was a weird little scene.

I was disappointed at Karen and Mal's exclusion, too. Either they are Doom Patrollers or they aren't. Maybe the story was written and worked upon before they joined?

Re: Brave and the Bold
#518696 12/02/07 12:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It wasn't ML.

Remember - we got that little panel toward the start telling us that Mal, Karen, Gar and Steve Dayton were all away on some mission or something.

Wally even makes a comment like "At least I liked those guys" or something. Which was a fact I'd totally forgotten. With having three former teammates/friends in the DP and someone he's gotten to know quite well over the years in Steve, there really wasn't that much reason for him to be as apprehensive about visiting the team as he was.

Still, I was sad to those four characters all omitted from the story but I was at least thankful that we got an explanation for it, rather than just some unknown absence.

I'm still longing to see someone do something with Mal and Karen (two characters with enormous storyline potential and hugely underestimated powers) but I'm not holdibg my breath. The fact that they are the most cannon-foddery members on a team with a loooonnngg history of losing members worries me greatly too.

As for the B&B - Loving it! One of my fave books week in, week out. There's nothing I can say about George Perez's art that hasn't already been said so I'll just say that with his health deterioration and everything I take everything I get from him as a blessing.

Mark Waid's telling some really good stories too. I know it received some criticism but I thoroughly enjoyed the Wonder Woman/Power Girl pairing last issue as well as all the others too.

I'm not too sure how splitting the book up into lots of smaller team-up adventures (as is what appears to be happening from next issue on) will work as I'd like to see these characters get fleshed out and really spot-lighted a bit more, but I'll keep an open mind and will likely enjoy that approach too.

I do find the surprisingly disappointing sales of this book to be a worry though. It's not that this book is doing bad, just that 'average' doesn't seem to me what DC were probably wanting from it. I don't think it's in any danger of cancellation (God, I hope it isn't) but I'm a bit concerned that DC might start messing with the formula of it, and I'm perfectly happy with how things are going right now.

#518697 12/15/07 02:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Can anyone post some B&B sales figures? Last time I checked it was a big seller (of course this would have been about 6 months ago)

I read # 8 and really enjoyed it.

When THE FLASH relaunched after Wally's run ended I used it as a breaking point and dropped the book, and haven't picked it up since Wally's launch started back up again, so it was nice to catch up with he and Linda here.

And it's always nice to see the Doom Patrol since their excellent return back in the faboo Johns/Daniel era of Teen Titans.

A shame Gar, Mal and Karen couldn't be around but that would have eased Wally a bit and Waid wanted him on edge.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#518698 12/15/07 08:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought the Flash/DP issue was the best one yet story-wise.

The art is what's making this series for me.

#518699 01/01/08 06:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I really enjoyed the latest issue, with all the old-school (and new-school too) DC characters! Waid's heart clearly is in this title, unlike his LSH 3boot relaunch.

I also checked sales figures, and was saddened to see this (and Booster Gold) so far down on the top 100.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#518700 01/01/08 06:58 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Wow, B&B veered off into even odder directions than the Doom Patrol in #9. Pages from the Book of Destiny coming unbound all by themselves, then coalescing (?) into a human-shaped figure which threatens, or at least looms over, June?

She then sees panels that appear to be the three stories with which we're presented.

Weirdsville.

I would gladly have paid to see each of the three vignettes in this issue as full size installments. New Atom and Hawkman... Metal Men and Robby Reed... Blackwhawks and Boy Commandos... I wonder why they were all crammed together?

The Metal Men and Dial H for Hero was my favorite of the three sections. Go, Man-bot! Yea, Tin!

I unexpectedly enjoyed the Blackhawk/Boy Commandos team-up. I was left wanting more, which is a good thing, I guess.

#518701 01/01/08 07:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, Zinda in BoP totally has me into the Blackhawks, lately, and that was a DC property I never cared for before.

#518702 01/02/08 09:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Another great issue!

I also would've loved to see any one of those 3 team-ups expanded to fill the whole issue but I guess if even a Wonder Woman/Power Girl pairing got sales dropping then a Blackhawk/Boy Commandoes team-up would've put them in the toilet. So sad! frown

I'm loving Waid's use of obscure old villains in this book too! Dr Alchemy and the Warlock of Ys are two old faves of mine so it's great seeing them again here!

And am I right in thinking that the "Page Monster" was actually the Warlock trying to escape from the book? I didn't quite get that bit.

#518703 01/02/08 10:39 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Is Perez still on this book? If so, have there been delays and/or fill-ins?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#518704 01/02/08 10:55 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yes he's still on the book and No fill ins or delays yet LL, i good to see Waid writing Wally again, BB is the only bright spot in the current roster of DC books i look forward to

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#518705 02/01/08 07:19 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#518706 02/04/08 02:34 PM
Active
Active
Hm, Perez leaving now could well mean that he would be free to do some Legion title in our anniversary year... hmmmmm, there'es hoping... smile

As for Ordway, he's okay but I don't think i will be staying on this title. The first storyline was good, but the inclusion of more and more obscure DC characters lately may be a reason to celebrate for some diehard DC "dictionary" fans, but I can get no fun out of Blackhawks and whatever the names are.

So, if Perez should be really drawing his own childhood heroes, the only thing we need to do is getting this Al Vey guy to ink it. That would be... simply... perfect!

#518707 02/24/08 11:08 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'll say the same thing about #10 as I did about the Metal Men, Dial H for Hero, Boy Commandos, etc. issue.

I would *gladly* have paid for whole issues for each of the halves of this one.

Silent Knight? Cool character that hasn't been seen since... well, I can't remember since when. And the revelation about who his descedants are? News to me-- is that new to DCU continuity?

Perez' art is a knockout-- especially the page tinted all in red. Reminescent of a medieval woodcut. Beautiful stuff.

Now, the Teen Titans in Atlantis stuff-- heck, I'd happily buy an ongoing featuring this team for the next 10 years.

Not sure if it dovetails with the YEAR ONE storyline that's also excellent. No *huge* discrepancies stuck out for me-- though the attitudes of Wally and Dick towards Garth don't exactly jibe with the mini.

Earrings that enable the wearer to breathe underwater... Aquaman and Mera (I've forgotten what a nice couple they made)... Wonder Chick... Garth's social issues... heroes and sidekicks...

#518708 02/25/08 08:24 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Yes, both stories were well done. Although I also thought Wally & Dick's initial attitude towards Garth wasn't right.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#518709 04/18/08 06:29 AM
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
I don't get this anymore, not after the first arc. I'm just kind of flipping through it now, seeing if anyone I like is in it.

#518710 04/20/08 06:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
They've announced that #16 is Mark Waid's last issue.

Wonder if the book will continue?

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#518711 04/20/08 09:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
All it needs is the right writer or artist or (wishfully thinking) both. They should put one of those Kubert brothers on this.

#518712 07/28/08 01:45 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
There was big news about B&B at the Comic-con this past weekend. The new writer is going to be introducing the former ARCHIE COMICS superheroes into the DCU via this comic. I think there'll still be at least two DC characters teamed up as well.

#15-- billed as a NIGHTWING/HAWKMAN team-up, it's actually a NW/HM/GREEN ARROW/DEADMAN grouping, as they fight a mythological figure in Nanda Parbat.

I enjoyed it- and I usually like Collins' art. I liked the opening scene and Hawkman's recognition of Nightwing's unique status in the DCU. The combination of artifacts and personalities used to win the day was fun.

Nothing earthshaking here, but good, solid, enjoyable, somewhat old-fashioned comic book storytelling is on view.

#518713 07/28/08 02:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Darn! I forgot to mention this. Re: Archie Comics Heroes are now apart of the DC Universe!

Kabir told me this after he went to the Archie panel on Sunday. Archie being one of the few comics he likes.

I can't wait to see it! I love the characters and have a complete set of the Mighty Crusaders both the 60's and 80's versions.

#518714 07/28/08 02:33 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
There was big news about B&B at the Comic-con this past weekend. The new writer...
*loves the reluctance to say "JMS"* smile

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#518715 07/28/08 02:55 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Actually, it's a reluctance to spell out the S of JMS, accompanied by a lazy spell that made me not want to look up the correct spelling.

#518716 07/28/08 05:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Darn! I forgot to mention this. Re: Archie Comics Heroes are now apart of the DC Universe!

Kabir told me this after he went to the Archie panel on Sunday. Archie being one of the few comics he likes.

I can't wait to see it! I love the characters and have a complete set of the Mighty Crusaders both the 60's and 80's versions.
Me to Gary, I also have a complete set of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents and from the 60's and 80's and I love those characters as well.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#518717 08/23/08 05:32 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The Superman/Catwoman issue was a fun bit of fluff-- showing sides of each of the characters in slightly new and different ways. I liked the dynamic between them.

#518718 08/24/08 11:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can echo your review word for word.

I'm also interested in the upcoming Supergirl/Raven issue.

I have never been exposed to the Archie hero characters. This could either be something new and fun or a good jumping-off point for me. I will give it a couple of issues for sure.

#518719 08/24/08 09:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think the Catwoman/Superman issue was the best of the series thus far. Too many of the issues have been 'pretty good', but this one was fantastic.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,448
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Cartoon Lad
Cartoon Lad
Massachusetts
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star