Roll Call
0 members (), 118 Murran Spies, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/18/24 07:25 AM
My Art Commissions (Legion or Not Legion it's art)
by Gaseous Lad - 06/18/24 06:15 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:51 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:50 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/18/24 04:49 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 18 June 24
by Harbinger - 06/18/24 02:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The actual 52: THE LIST
#492656 06/11/11 10:01 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am on board with Babs comic. The interview Gail did for it really makes me want to read it. She has an obvious love for the character, and I trust her to make it a damned good read.

The only other Bat related book I am getting is Batman with Snyder. The other ones hold no interest for me. I like Snyders writing, and have loved his run on Detective...so he gets a free looksie from me.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#492657 06/11/11 10:02 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm definitely picking up Batgirl. If anyone other than Gail were writing, I'd probably not give it a look. I read her article on Newsarama about the subject. If I weren't already swayed to buy it, this would have. Give it a read if you haven't already.

This is all despite the fact that I dearly love the soon-to-end Batgirl book featuring Stephanie Brown. In a perfect world this book would survive and be nominated for Eisners. I will miss it a lot.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#492658 06/11/11 10:12 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought the article hurt her cause more than anything personally. It shows Gail had no hand at all in the decision, and it almost feels like it's a matter of "I better write it before someone else gets it and really screws up Babs". I really like Gail but feel she was giving us the hard sell way too hard, like on a Mark Millar level.

I'm already beyond annoyed about Babs being devolved and just another Bat character again but that article really hurt the cause, making me wish I hasn't read it.

Babs was really something special as Oracle. I feel it's a tremendous loss.

Plus Batwoman has been so fantastic that it certainly trumps as Batgirl comic for me, even with Gail on it. My pull list is filling up awful fast with Bat books. (All the Batman ones, Nightwing and Batwoman).

Ps - I read it a few days ago, so don't feel like you showed me it Lardy (in case you felt bad).

#492659 06/11/11 10:28 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It was mostly her sheer passion for Barbara bleeding through in the article that grabbed me. It wasn't a surprise that she was passionate, of course, but one point that hit me was that Barbara has never had her own solo ongoing! I have faith in Gail (and pretty much no one else) to make Barbara shine in this book and to make it work so that she doesn't seem redundant next to Batwoman.

I didn't see it as a "Millar hard sell" at all, personally. I felt she was genuinely sold on the change after initially resisting it like most of us.

Barbara basically disappeared after being crippled and becoming one of the earliest "women in refrigerators". If it weren't for John Ostrander and Kim Yale, she may have rarely or never been seen again. She's right that it makes no sense why every other character mutilated or even killed can be cured in the DCU, but somehow never Barbara.

I dunno. Like you, I'm not completely sold (and again, losing the great book with Stephanie Brown is the worst part for me), but I'm very willing to give her a shot with Gail onboard.

#492660 06/11/11 10:41 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
At the end of the day, the only really annoying aspects of this whole thing for me so far are Babs / Oracle and the whole Teen Titans nonsense. While I'm genuinely worried DC may be slitting their own throats from a business perspective, I'm not too overwhelmed personally about what we know so far.

Even Superman and Lois' marriage--I'm basically feeling like 'fuck it'. laugh I think it helped Spidey after all, so it will prob help Supes. Lord knows Superman needs as much help as possible these days.

Very likely, I'll be getting a huge pile of DC Comics just like always. Mr. Terrific? Absolutely. Animal Man? No doubt.

Speaking of Gail, her Firestorm looks like it's going to be at long last the Firestorm comic I've been waiting for.

For so many years now I've gradually stopped giving a shit about DC's continuity and make-up. This could end up getting me back on track even if I dont trust all 3 of the top guys there as far as I can throw them, Didio paramount among them.

Ultimately this could be on the onset of a real dark time for some characters but on the other hand it could be just what the doctor ordered for others (C'mon Jurgens, I'm counting on you for Green Arrow).

#492661 06/11/11 11:12 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So you're gonna buy the Tony Daniel 'Tec (which you haven't enjoyed on Batman) and not Batgirl?

I'd pick up Green Arrow if Jurgens was writing as well, but they're keeping J.T. Krul, who despite his great taste in shirts wink , has yet to show he deserves a job in the comics industry.

So I'll reluctantly pass and watch reviews.

Many of the "passes" I'm probably going to make are based on creator problems, mostly not being familiar with them or not liking the mix so much. For example, I'd probably pick up Hawk & Dove by Bedard if Liefeld weren't drawing!!! Giffen on OMAC looks intriguing, but Didio's writing?!?! Pass!

#492662 06/11/11 11:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You know, I will probably get Hawk and Dove #1! I'm curious and for ages I've said I want to buy a Liefield comic and really review it but haven't been able to do so. I just read his interview on newsarama and you can see he doesn't want his legacy to be blown deadlines and characters without actual storylines. It really looks like he wants to really impress people and I'm going to at least give him #1. Bedard helps.

As for Detective, my Dad and I are huge Batman fans as you know and have always collected all the main Bat books. Our Detective collection now extends back into 1957 uninterrupted (and further back with holes), so Detective was never in question. Besides, the art looks good and Bruce Wayne is such a big favorite, it won't be as if I'm totally hating it.

I am hesitate about Daniel's Hawkman though which I will at least try.

I'll be getting a lot of comics that would normally be more questionable than a Gail written comic, but the Babs as Batgirl again premise is too difficult for me to overcome yet. Maybe one day I'll read it when it's been cancelled since people like me waited too many years to give it a try.

In all the news I missed Krul was staying on with Green Arrow as writer. Ew. Maybe Jurgens can slowly push him out. I'll probably still get the series for a few issues for Jurgens art, which I absolutely love (especially the way he draws G.A.).

Omac is a pass because of Didio.

Frankenstein is a 'give it a try' because of Lemire and Grant's kick-ass premise for the character from 7 Soldiers.

#492663 06/11/11 11:36 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ya know, I haven't really been blown away by Lemire yet like others have. Superboy is okay-to-good at times. The Atom backup in Adventure bored me to tears. And I haven't read Sweet Tooth which is supposed to be his best thing right now.

So at this point I'm leading toward "pass" regarding Lemire's books.

#492664 06/11/11 11:41 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
What are your thoughts (and everyone else too) on Wonder Woman by Azzarello?

While I think WW was a series in desperate need of something, I'm not sure Azzarello is it. Most of his work has always left me cold (re: his Superman run with Jim Lee). Granted, I've never read 100 Bullets.

#492665 06/11/11 11:47 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
WW is a hard sell for me under any circumstances, and like you, I've yet to be impressed by anything he's done (also haven read 100 Bullets). At first blush, given his history on more edgy stuff, Azzarello seems a very odd fit, even a mismatch, for Diana. Maybe that means he's just the shot in the arm Diana needs? Dunno. Pass.

#492666 06/11/11 11:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm gonna grab WW #1, and see from there. Azz is a pretty good writer, and I want to see what his spin on WW is. I've tried that book over the years in its various incarnations, and none since the Perez relaunch has grabbed me for more than an issue or three honestly. So, I'll give it another shot.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#492667 06/11/11 12:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I only ever enjoyed Perez's (but it suffered after he stopped pencilling) and Byrne's runs on WW, of those I tried. I thought Simone would be perfect for the book but mixed-at-best reviews kept me from ever trying it. Messner-Loebs/Deodato had that kitzchy nineties appeal to their run but was ultimately just too sensationalist with that Artemis storyline. Artemis was just a stereotypical Image Hell-bitch.

#492668 06/11/11 12:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Does Azzarello do much in the way of interviews about his work? This is a case where I'd really like to read something about the approach he'd have towards Wonder Woman- what kind of story he's telling about and with her.

In any case, I've liked Wonder Woman much more than most posting here, at least. I quite liked Simone's WW, much more than the most recent run. I liked Jimenez quite a bit, though I think he could've benefited by teaming with a more experienced co-writer. And Perez's run was great. Not a fan of Byrne's.

I think that more than anything else, a supporting cast needs to be established that isn't totally started from scratch everytime a new writer takes over.

#492669 06/11/11 12:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Oh, I mostly enjoyed Jimenez's run, too, Todd. That issue in which Lois comes to Paradise Island was probably one of the best WW stories I've ever read!

#492670 06/11/11 12:34 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
I like the Jimenez run very much. It's without a doubt my favorite WW run. The Perez run is a bit too earnest and serious IMO, while Jimenez injects a refreshingly judicious amount of camp.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#492671 06/11/11 12:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm probably more than the casual WW fan but it's just Brian Azz that's got me having second thoughts.

Todd, I see you're in on Stormwatch. Is it for J'onn, or are there other reasons?

#492672 06/11/11 12:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
<----------also fan of Jimenez run. Love the all-female super villain group on the island after Diana and Trevor.

#492673 06/11/11 12:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
For example, I'd probably pick up Hawk & Dove by Bedard if Liefeld weren't drawing!!!
Correction, it's Sterling Gates writing, not Bedard. That actually makes it harder to pass up because I loved Gates' Supergirl run more than anything I've read of Bedard's stuff!

Funny enough, Liefeld's best work was probably his early H&D stuff. shrug

#492674 06/11/11 12:48 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yea, Gates is awesome. That puts it over for me. I will buy and review! First Liefield comic since Brigade #3! (1993?)

#492675 06/11/11 12:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Also, JLDark is certainly on my list, but does anyone else think that's a hella-lame title?

#492676 06/11/11 12:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, it is. But I know DC did it so it would get more attention then, say, Shadowpact.

#492677 06/11/11 01:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It should be 'Justice League Shadowpact' laugh

Regardless of title, it does look very good. nod

#492678 06/11/11 01:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, just having Milligan writing Shade again gives me fan-gasms! If he somehow works Cathy and Lenny into the book, I might go into convulsions! laugh

#492679 06/11/11 01:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
wow looks like I am the one who will buy the largest # of the list.
Aug. 31 - one book _ of course! smile

Week #1 - 11 books (will not buy Action and Detective Comics)
Week #2 - 13 books (Batman and Robin is off the list)
Week #3 - 10 books (no Batman for me)
Week #4 - 11 books (Superman and Batman the Dark Knight are excluded)

-- am excited to see Madame Xanadu in two books - Demon Knights and JL Dark. same with Deadman.
-- love all Batgirls books (Cassandra, Stephanie - both of them will be greatly missed...they both greatly blossomed into great heroes! and same with Proxy.)
-- will buy most minorities books such as Batwing, Batwoman, Stormwatch (Apollo and Midnighter), Blue Beetle, Static Shock, Mr. Terrific)
-- always love the team books such as GLCorps, Red Lanterns, Teen Titans - although I am kind of disappointed that Aqualad will not be a part of it, BoP, all JLs)
-- for an anal completist - Deathstroke, Firestorm, Animal Man, Superboy, Hawk and Dove (I am giving Leifeld a chance because he did very good on Deadpool and that book is very popular!), Suicide Squad, Green Arrow, Batgirl, Hawkman, Resurrection Man)
-- Legion and Legion Lost will be always my #1 as ever, no argument at all.

I ll be gladly giving you all the reviews on some books that you decide to pass -- such as Red Hood and the Outlaws (is Starfire actually wearing a pant? or what? ), Men of War, All Star Western (hope to see Cinnamon, Nighthawk, Bat Lash, Scalphunter, not just Jonah Hex!), I Vampire, Capt Atom)

-- sure wish that Doom Patrol, Starman (Danny Blaine/Thom Kallor), Marvel Family, Metal Men, JSA (and All-Stars), Sensation Comics (why WW still have one book, while Superman and Batman have more than one book is beyond me....would love to see Donna, Cassie, Amazon girls, etc in action), Freedom Fighters, Challengers of the Unknown, and others.

#492680 06/11/11 01:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Also, JLDark is certainly on my list, but does anyone else think that's a hella-lame title?
Yes it is. I thought it was just a description of the title rather than it's actual name. From a marketing standpoint it makes perfect sense, (even though "Shadowpact" would be more appropriate given the book's theme) but I hope they don't actually call themselves that. I have a feeling they might not even have an official "team name" in the comic.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,261
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
cleome57
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star