Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Boy Kid Lad - 10/05/24 12:38 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Boy Kid Lad - 10/05/24 12:32 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 10/05/24 09:44 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Boy Kid Lad - 10/05/24 09:09 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 13 AUGUST*
by thoth lad - 10/05/24 04:29 AM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by thoth lad - 10/05/24 03:52 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 10/05/24 02:55 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 10/05/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Pov #840937 02/28/15 06:41 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thank you, Lardy.

I do love me some Phil Jimenez art, so I'll definitely read the first arc of Fairest.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Pov #840949 02/28/15 01:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, Lardy summed it up. You don't need to read any of them unless you feel the need to check them out.

I never read any Jack of Fables.

I loved the various Cinderella miniseries. They totally stand alone, and feature a great ass-kicking female spy protagonist with a Fables twist.

Fairest was hit or miss, and I eventually gave up after the first year.

Pov #840992 02/28/15 05:33 PM
Thanks, Cobie.

Cinderella sounds great!

Pov #841752 03/07/15 06:09 AM
in hiding
in hiding
I never read any Jack Of Fables (except the crossover), but have always thought of Jack as a one-note song, so I doubt I missed much.

The Cinderella specials, on the other hand, are lots of fun and well worth looking into.

I would definitely check out Fairest as well, as it fills in gaps that aren't covered in the main title. For awhile (during the main title's Toyland arc) Fairest was actually the better of the two titles, and the last few issues are closely tied to the main series.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Pov #841770 03/07/15 10:09 AM
Thank you, Hermit.

Pov #846883 04/04/15 05:07 PM
Just finished the third Fables trade, with Goldilocks and Bluebeard conspiring to kill Snow and Bigby, two delightful flashback issues guest-drawn by Bryan Talbot and Linda Medley...and a guy falling asleep on the toilet. Were you thinking of that last scene when you recommended Fables to me, Lardy? LOL lol

I thought it was full of jaw-dropping-OMG moments. The mixture of soap-opera, subversiveness, dark humor, and in-depth characterization is splendid. Looking forward to trade 4.

Fanfic Lady #846894 04/04/15 08:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Just finished the third Fables trade, with Goldilocks and Bluebeard conspiring to kill Snow and Bigby, two delightful flashback issues guest-drawn by Bryan Talbot and Linda Medley...and a guy falling asleep on the toilet. Were you thinking of that last scene when you recommended Fables to me, Lardy? LOL lol

I WISH I could say I was thinking of that! blush The ol' memory ain't what it used to be..... confused I remember what a bastard Bluebeard was, though! nod

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Looking forward to trade 4.

However, I can state that trade 4 is unquestionably one of my very favorite batches of Fables storylines, so I can't wait for you to get and read it! nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Pov #846895 04/04/15 08:22 PM
Yeah, Bluebeard -- the exact kind of guy readers love to hate. Love him for his Old World gravitas, hate him for being a murdering, misogynous bastard. lol

I'm happy to say that trade 4 is on its way.

Pov #846896 04/04/15 08:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, after some allusions and build-up, trade four is the true opening salvo in the masterful saga of the Adversay--I'm envious of anyone who gets to read it for the first time! nod

Pov #846898 04/04/15 08:31 PM
I'm on needles and pins! grin

Pov #846938 04/04/15 10:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
To put it another way, I think Vol. 4 took me from "gotta get that next Fables TPB soon-ish" to "GOTTA GET ALL OF 'EM, LIKE, YESTERDAY!!!" nod

Pov #846939 04/04/15 10:11 PM
I've felt that way before, back in the 90s before everything was in TPB, like "GOTTA GET ALL THE BACK ISSUES I MISSED!"

I remember feeling that way about PAD's Hulk (first issue: 400) and the Harras/Epting Avengers (first issue: 356.)

Pov #847137 04/05/15 08:33 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Still awaiting the solicits to preorder the final issue/trade(!)... gasp

Pov #847581 04/09/15 02:27 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Aaaaand it's going on this month's DCBS order! BouncingBoy

Pov #859305 07/11/15 06:18 PM
I know I didn't post anything about the fourth and fifth Fables trades. My life was a bit crazy at the time that I read them, and I've forgotten a lot of the details, but I can say with certainty that I thoroughly enjoyed both trades, and found them to be virtually flawless.

Now I've just finished the sixth trade, which starts with the Jack in Hollywood 2-parter -- which I loved, Jack has become my favorite love-to-hate fable -- and follows with the Homelands arc, where we finally learn the Adversary's identity.

For those who haven't read this series yet, I'll put my thoughts in a spoiler box:

Now that I've reached the point where this thread began, I was able to read the first few pages, and I was shocked to learn that Willingham originally intended for the Adversary to be Peter Pan. I'd have to go back and re-read the early trades to see if there were clues I missed, which some posters in this thread claim there were.

One thing I'm sure of, I would have hated if Peter Pan had been the Adversary, that just feels so wrong to me on so many levels. Not to say that having Gepetto turn out to be the Adversary was perfect, it was a little too matter-of-factly done for my taste, although when he shows his true colors after Boy Blue and Red Riding Hood escape, was a nice way for Willingham to ratchet up the tension and set up future storylines, and when I found out at the very end that Boy Blue did the things he did under orders from Prince Charming, I actually gasped out loud!

So I'm still enjoying this series a great deal, and can't wait to see where it goes next.

Pov #859371 07/11/15 11:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So glad you are loving it, Le Ficques! And there's still 5 great trades left in the wonderful Adversary storyline!!!

Pov #859430 07/12/15 04:52 AM
YAY!

Thanks, Lardy.

Pov #863233 08/04/15 03:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A satisfying ending to a fantastic series. The final issue had its ups and downs, I think directly related to how much I liked the individual characters featured, but for a wrap-up, it was well done. Rose Red redeemed herself and it was good to see how the wolf cubs' prophecies turned out, albeit briefly.

In the afterword, Willingham explained that he could have gone on, filled in the stories between the start and the end of this final issue (trying to avoid spoilers here) but this was a good stopping point. It's rare to find a successful series that isn't wrung out for all it's worth - and usually suffers in quality as a consequence. I'll miss Fables, but I think the creators made the right choice.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Pov #863315 08/04/15 04:16 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
AAAGH!!! So looking forward to this in my next shipment... It will be my first read, even ahead of CHEW: BLOOD PUDDING, SABRINA #4 and DESCENDER #5...

Pov #864246 08/10/15 07:43 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Thanks to the evil monopoly known as Diamond Distributors I am STILL waiting to get my copy of Fables 150.

Let me explain.

For months I had reserved a copy of Fables 150. The week of July 22, I sent the proprietor of my CBS an e-mail letting him know I would be in town that Friday to pick it up. When I arrived at the shop...no Fables 150. I asked what happened, and he told me that he thought I was joking, as there had been no solicits from Diamond Distributors for Fables 150 yet. He tried looking it up on his computer, but still couldn't find anything until I mentioned, out of desperation, that the book was also TPB 22. Bingo! Apparently Diamond ONLY solicited the book as a TPB, and not as a regular issue of Fables at all. Now, thanks to the book being a sellout, I am still waiting for my copy to come in.

Meanwhile, I have been re-reading the entire series from the start (the deluxe hardcover books are absolutely gorgeous, btw) and am now sitting here typing instead of reading the last half dozen issues, just in case the last issue doesn't come in again this week.

Aaarrgh!

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Pov #864248 08/10/15 08:22 PM
in hiding
in hiding
So, while I sit here waiting for Wednesday I thought I'd talk a bit about the somewhat wonky timeline of the last few issues of Fables/Fairest.

As near as I can tell it goes something like this: Following the Of Men And Mice storyline (Fairest 21-26), we have a Geppetto one-shot in Fables 138, followed by the two-part Boys In The Band story that sets the stage for the final year of Fables.

From there, the timeline jumps to the final issue of Fairest (33), which, although published last, serves as a prequel to the Fairest In All The Land TPB. Fair warning, though; reading it in this order undercuts the central mystery of the TPB, so if you don't like spoilers, read them in the opposite order.

From there it can be a bit confusing, as Fables 141-142 and Fairest 27-28 both feature the 13th floor crew, but in different settings. I'm still not sure of exactly when in the Fables storyline the witches head for (and return from) the Farm, but there is a pivotal scene in Fables 142 that definitely happens after the first few pages of Fairest 29.

From that point Fairest goes off on a tangent and can be read through to the end of 32 without really spoiling anything.

That leaves just Fables 143-149, which I keep making excuses not to read until I have 150 in my hands.

Again I say Aaarrgh!

Pov #865375 08/18/15 06:30 PM
in hiding
in hiding
OK, I finally got and read Fables 150 last week, and I have to say a few things.

First off, it seems pretty obvious that the decision to end the series with 150 came fairly late in the game, and that many of the storylines were intended to go on much longer, and in a different direction, than they actually did. In fact, I would even guess that the whole Snow White vs. Rose Red tontine was tossed in at the last minute to provide a way to wrap up the series quickly.

As to why all this came about, I suspect it has more to do with changes at Vertigo itself than any desire on the part of Bill Willingham to stop doing Fables. My own theory is that his decision to end the series when he did is somehow tied in with Karen Berger's decision to leave Vertigo. Either Willingham saw Berger's departure as a sign that it was time to leave Vertigo himself, or something else happened that caused both of them to leave. Given the recent history of DC comics, I'm inclined to go with the second theory.

At this point, all this is is theory. I'm not up enough on what goes on behind the scenes in the comics industry to know anything for sure. Does anyone else here have anything more concrete to either support or discredit what I've laid out here? If so, I'd really like to hear it.

Pov #869384 09/15/15 02:17 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ I think that is a very good theory and likely very true. But I don't have anything to back it up other than gut feeling.

All that aside, I enjoyed Fables #150 immensely. I thought it was a wonderful end to the series and captured all of the various emotions the series often gets you to feel: terror & anxiety, heartfelt cheerworthy moments, outright joy and a constant sense of comedic whimsy.

In fact, I think I enjoyed #150 more than I've enjoyed #126 - 149 combined. It ended on a good note, and it was a pleasure to read.

At the end, the series of "The Last ____ Story" were great and I loved each and every one.

Pov #875476 11/08/15 09:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Finally done with the last trades and get to join the thread. smile

Always well constructed and beautiful to look at, somewhere along the way Fables reflected too much the difficult parts of life and less the fun. I don't imagine myself reading the last 50 near as much as the first fifty and nowhere near as much as The Last Castle but sometime I supposed I'll dig down from the beginning, knowing the end.

Pov #910065 09/20/16 10:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Never let a successful franchise go gently into that dark night. The Fables universe continues in Everafter #1.

I have mixed feelings regarding the first issue. It's gorier than most of the Fables stories and it's not clear if this is the tone they intend to pursue.

The characters are familiar to Fables readers, but not that well-known. There is an appearance by Snow and Bigby, but the action centers on Hansel, Bo-Peep, Peter Piper, Connor Wolf and Featherstone, all working for the Fables spy agency. Magic has escaped into the Mundy world and is finding expression in new human stories, such as zombies. The Shadow Players are the Fables who try to keep the new bad magic in check.

The first issue does a good job of explaining the situation, introducing the newish characters and setting up a messy murder mystery.

Whether Dave Justus and Matt Sturges can capture and hold that old Fables magic remains to be seen. This issue is promising, so I'm on board for now.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,057
Posts1,049,044
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ravenette84
Ravenette84
San Leandro, California
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star