Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Happy Birthday EDE!
by rickshaw1 - 06/30/24 08:50 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/30/24 07:18 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Alexander - 06/30/24 07:05 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:25 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:23 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:21 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:20 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
#466860 09/06/08 11:26 AM
Leader
Leader
So, #75 came out this week. Thoughts?

I actually thought things were going to go down in a much worse way than they did. There's an obvious out with the big death but it still shows that no-one is safe in Fables.

The resolution to it all was a bit of a surprise for me but it was pretty damn satisfying all in. I'd have liked to have seen Cindy this issue, even if only in passing, but there's such a lot going on that you can't have anything. Blue absolutely rocks though.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#466861 09/08/08 01:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So now that the story is over and the Fables are safe and they will all be going back to various worlds for adventures, whats the betting the adversary takes over Fabletown?

Faithfull
#466862 09/20/08 07:49 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
<span style="font-size: 25px;">A WEEK AND A HALF!!!</span> scream sigh :frustrated:

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#466863 10/01/08 08:47 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Bevis:
There's an obvious out with the big death
Meaning the classic comic adage "If there's no body"?

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#466864 10/01/08 09:19 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Oh, yeah... so I finally got 75 this week, as well as 76. smile

I actually liked that it wasn't completely onesided, and that the Empire soldiers showed some battlefield ingenuity. That final dragon the Emperor held back was a wowser, even if he was shot down as he delivered a crippling blow to the Glory. And the one-on-one battle between Bigby and the Emperor was cool. Especially after his earlier wounding that added drama to the proceedings. And yes, Bevis, Blue indeed rocks. smile

The epilogue was a shock, and lead directly into #76. It'll be interesting, to say the least, to see where this goes. It was nice that they got Allred to spell Bucky after the epic #75. But did anybody think his Pinocchio was a little... off from previous stories he'd drawn using the character?

#466865 10/02/08 03:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just read 75 and 76 together, too. I wasn't necessarily happy to see the Glory and Prince Charming go down, but it made for a better story than an all-out victory for the Fables. Prince Charming actually got to be a hero in the end, so not a bad finish.

Gepetto in Fabletown, arguing for his despotic approach - interesting. His comment about enjoying an annual conversation with talking bears was pretty good. You've got to figure he's not just going to sit peacefully in retirement.

I didn't particularly like Pinocchio looking like a real little boy (was he turned into a real boy at some point? Did I miss something?), but that's a really minor detail.

We've got some foreshadowing that all will not be well in the post-war world, which should make for more good stories.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466866 10/03/08 01:17 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Pov:
Originally posted by Bevis:
[b]There's an obvious out with the big death
Meaning the classic comic adage "If there's no body"? [/b]
Exactly. We've already seen that the major Fables can survive pretty horrendous damage (Snow and Goldilocks being the most obvious two, but Jack as well in his own series) so the fact that we don;t see a body and he's one of the most recognisable Fables in the Mundy world means that there's an easy way to bring him back if Willingham so chooses.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#466867 10/03/08 12:43 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
I didn't particularly like Pinocchio looking like a real little boy (was he turned into a real boy at some point? Did I miss something?), but that's a really minor detail.
He was originally turned into a real boy by the Blue Fairy in his actual story, turned back into wood during the March of the Wooden Soldiers, and turned back to flesh when Blue brought him back to Gepetto in the Homelands story.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#466868 10/04/08 12:22 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
He was drawn as a little boy in the first arc of FABLES, by Lan Medina. Buckingham stylized his appearance to reflect his origins, but he was always meant to be a "real boy" until he had his head cut off in MotWS and reverted to a wooden (beheaded eek ) puppet. Bucky drew all of the invading soldiers with the same expression as Pinocchio; It was later revealed their hands and heads had been treated with the Blue Fairy elixir.

My complaint had more to do with Allred's change in depicting him between FABLES #57 and #76. I hate the "Little Orphan Annie" eyes 'Red gave him in #76.

#466869 10/11/08 02:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Agreed. I had to dig out my past issues to check - the blank eyes are actually sort of creepy. I wonder why Allred would have made him look so different from Buckingham's version - the other characters don't differ much.

There have been so many stories in this series, it's a good candidate for rereading from the start.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466870 11/23/08 11:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I used the first trade to win over another non-comic reader. He works for Disney, so it really was a hit for him.

And I just finished reading the trade "War and Pieces." The war was messy, the resolution sweet, and now I'm excited to see life post Adversary.

Just spouting off.
#466871 11/25/08 09:48 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Just read my latest, #77 I believe... Are Fred and Mouse supposed to be Sword and Sorcery heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser? hmmm

#466872 11/26/08 03:55 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's what I figured, since the names are close and they look the same as they were drawn by Mike Mignola.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466873 11/28/08 02:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought that as well. I like the way a lot of these sort of characters turn up.

Faithfull
#466874 12/06/08 09:26 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
#78...

I guess we know why BillW went with Fred and Mouse. I don't think the creater of Fafhrd & GM would appreciate their fates... shudder

So much going on in this issue. Loved how all of it's tied together, multiple threads in a greater tapestry. I see now how JJ's cover relates to the story, but don't know the significance of spiders to that character. Need to research the original Fables.

And choke ... Poor Blue... frown

But an awesome issue... jam-packed without being too much. Can't wait for 79!

#466875 12/08/08 10:04 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#466876 12/08/08 05:05 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hmmm.

As long as it's not a CW teenfest, I'm interested.

#466877 12/10/08 01:54 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Not really interested in a TV show unless I hear from several sources--including both other posters and critical reviews--that its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#466878 12/11/08 04:07 PM
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
I think it has potential, but someone else said they didn't think Disney would want to seem to mess with their own versions.

Makes me think they are doing the pilot and buying up the rights in order to stifle it to protect theirs, much like folks said Microsoft would do to young startup companies.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#466879 03/04/09 06:06 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
#81...

Dammit. sob

Two deaths, and I think they're both directly linked to Mister Dark. One is obvious, but the second, bigger one has been festering for awhile now. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I don't think Blue's infection from the Witching Cloak and his wasting resemblance to Fred, Grey and now Kay is a coincidence. I'm just glad he's buried in Haven and not one of Dark's potential "tooth zombies" choke </span></span>

#466880 03/06/09 11:20 AM
Active
Active
The death of

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Kay really took me off guard. Poor Kay (kinda pissed that everyone forgot about him) and the death of Blue, although expected, made me sad, very very sad. I loved Blue, he was one of my favorites. Sigh, now I'm sad again </span></span>

Long Live the Legion!
#466881 03/21/09 02:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Read #81 and #82 yesterday. Blue's speech to Red Rose was *harsh*, although on the mark. Even if Rose has been behaving quite responsibly for a while, running the Farm, her romantic entanglements were still selfish. Can a Fable character truly change its nature? When Rose vows to become "worthy" of Blue, is she just throwing a tantrum or will she change?

A nice discussion of characters dying and coming back to life because Mundies want them to - which came first, the story or the character - magic and chronology don't always mix... plus lots of impending doom for future issues.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466882 05/31/09 02:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I went for the full crossover, even though I'd dropped Jack of Fables a few months ago, and read #1-5 yesterday.

Some catching up from the missing Jack issues: it turns out a lot of the main characters are related to one another and there's some guy named Kevin who writes the Fables and can change their destiny, or very existence.

Now the search is on to get Kevin before he writes a new universe.

Rose Red is in an appalling state and I wonder why nobody at the Farm is intervening to help her. Jack is funny and roguish; he's okay in limited doses. The involvement of the Literals adds a new level to the reality of this fantasy. You figure the Fables have to win out in the end and banish Jack once more from their community, or we're back to one book.

It reminds me of that theory that we are somebody's computer simulation, and they might be somebody else's computer simulation. There are the Literals, the Fables, the Mundy world of the Fables universe and us, the readers, involved in the story to some degree.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466883 05/31/09 10:46 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I went for the full crossover, even though I'd dropped Jack of Fables a few months ago, and read #1-5 yesterday
Same here, though I only have parts 1-3. 4 and 5 are on their way. smile

there's some guy named Kevin
Isn't this Kevin Thorn, the newswriter from The March of the Wooden Soldiers ? The Mundy who saw through the spells used to cover up the trouble caused by the Empire in Fabletown? And also he was Hansel's landlord... He's been a peripheral character for so long, I was wondering what Willingham was ever going to do with him.

#466884 05/31/09 03:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You're right, it is Kevin Thorn. I was going to check if it was that nosy writer guy, whose name I'd forgotten.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,578
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Eryk Davis Ester
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star