Roll Call
0 members (), 9 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Ann Hebistand - 09/28/24 07:14 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by wes connors - 09/28/24 06:11 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
#466785 08/15/05 08:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
ahh Fareway Lad....

#466786 08/15/05 08:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So who is the Adversary? I never picked this book up beyond the initial first arc.

#466787 08/16/05 02:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Adversary is.... sent to you via PM since I don't know how you do the "invisible" text. confused

This was guessed by a few people here, I believe - I thought it was pretty lame at first but the explanation of how he became the Adversary was very good. And, in true fairy tale tradition, a moral tale.

Where it goes from here.... an eventual truce between Fabletown and the Ancient Lands?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466788 08/16/05 05:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not convinced you know. On the Fables boards a long time ago this guy came up as the adversary. I wouldnt put it past TPTB to change things around just to surprise people.

There are some pretty good word games going on between Blue and the Adversary which hint at hiden agenda's behind hiden agenda's.

Plus that final panel? Why did ....... not recognise the Adversary if he truely was who he claimed to be

Faithfull
#466789 08/16/05 07:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The story of how the Adversary came to power was gripping and very interesting but I was still a little disappointed in who he/she ended up being. The signs had been pointing to this person for so long that I was hoping for a bit more of a surprise.

However, like Faraway Lad, I'm not so sure that Willingham doesn't still have one in store. _________'s words and non-recognition of the Adversary on the last page really threw a spanner into his/her whole story! Can't wait for the next issue to see how this all wraps up.

P.S. Faraway Lad - I agree that that was quite clearly a reference to Narnia in one of the early issues of Fables, but don't try bringing that point up with Bill Willingham. He denied that it was (probably for legal reasons) and it was some fans' urging for him to admit it that drove him away from the DC Boards.

#466790 08/16/05 08:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
agree with the both of you above. there is more to what really happened, but it was a truly fanscianting how it all unfolded...

#466791 08/16/05 09:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Such deception would be a very interesting twist in the story! I figured the character in the last panel was just suffering from a knock on the head ...

Where do you suppose the Snow Queen fits in with all this? I originally figured her for the Adversary (when she first appeared), but she's probably too much the classic bad guy.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466792 08/16/05 05:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree with Faraway that there may well be more going on here than we know.

In other news, I hear Jack is getting a book of his own at some point.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#466793 08/16/05 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Someone, please PM me who it is. I may not be able to buy my regular books for a while. And i really wanna know.

Thanks.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#466794 08/16/05 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
collecting this in trade
sometimes it takes me a while to actually READ the book after buying because i like to sit and read the whole thing in one sitting

FAVORITE STORY: the big war against the toy soldiers ... kept me engrossed for DAYS

#466795 08/17/05 05:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blacula:

P.S. Faraway Lad - I agree that that was quite clearly a reference to Narnia in one of the early issues of Fables, but don't try bringing that point up with Bill Willingham. He denied that it was (probably for legal reasons) and it was some fans' urging for him to admit it that drove him away from the DC Boards.
I hate when that happens. The internet gives us a great chance to interact with creators but I just wish some fans would realise that creators have certain restrictions (Copywrite and plagerism just being two) on what they can say in a public forum and when someone says I cant or dont want to disccuss "X" let it go and talk about something else.

Faithfull
#466796 08/17/05 06:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So whats next after the Adversary is revealed?

Who pushed Humpty Dumpty off the wall?

#466797 08/17/05 07:02 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
So whats next after the Adversary is revealed?

Who pushed Humpty Dumpty off the wall?
my guess is a jealous husband. or his old lady for the insurance.

#466798 08/17/05 07:53 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Chicken Little.

He was tired of the chicken vs. egg argument. tongue wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#466799 08/17/05 10:38 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
"I don't -care- which of us came first... because I know who'll be here LAST!!"

rotflmao

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#466800 09/19/05 04:18 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Got issue 41 with my midmonth books today! It was a toss-up whether to read this or JLA 118 first, out of a strong batch that also had the latest JSA and Villains United, but FABLES won out. I took my afternoon break then and there, in spite of just getting back from lunch... lol

Wow. This issue wraps up the Homelands story arc, and sets the plate for so much more!

S
-
P
-
O
-
I
-
L
-
E
-
R
-
S
-
-
-
-

Best line of the book goes to Pinocchio-- "Did you know that would happen, @$$wipe?"

rotflmao

So we finally find out the truth about RRH... but do we know the truth about The Adversary? The last panel on p. 12 has some significance in all this, I think...

So all the European fables have fallen to the Emperor's armies? And we have a glimpse of the empire's next targets... interesting...

All in all, a great issue, wrapping up a great storyline. And, with as much as we've learned these past few issues, this story doesn't appear to be anywhere near its endpoint.

cool

#466801 09/19/05 07:51 PM
Active
Active
I agree Pov.
There is so much not being told. I am looking forward to see where they take this series. I caught onto the series late but sure am enjoying the heck out of this book.

Looking for Earth Prime.
#466802 01/13/06 03:34 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Well, DC's really screwed the pooch with its Vertigo message boards... apparently, they've just thrown all the books together under two forums, one for ongoings and one for limited series. :rolleyes:

Fans of FABLES might want to head over to Bill W.s Fabletown forums ( http://www.fabletown.com/forum/index.php ); it's set up like an MB should be, and Bill participates alot. There's discussion boards for his upcoming work, including SHADOWPACT (which he's DRAWING as well as writing! smile ) and a JACK ongoing series spinning off from FABLES ( BouncingBoy ) --good stuff.

#466803 01/13/06 06:46 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
In other news, I hear Jack is getting a book of his own at some point.
D'oh! I see Miner mentioned the Jack spin-off months ago. shocked

It's confirmed on Willingham's boards, with Tony Akins (he drew Cinderella Libertine and Bigby at War issues) on board as the artist. Sounds good.

#466804 01/14/06 04:32 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I have always really enjoyed fables but i think the book has lost its way a bit. I think the whole adversary thing was a bit of a botch job because of all the Peter Pan clues early on which dont in anyway relate to who the adversary actually was and also teamed with the fact that the world and his wife picked the adversary ages ago and the only thing going against it was that it seemed too obvious.

:polarboy:
#466805 06/06/06 12:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
FABLES 49:

I love Mowgli. And Bigby. And Snow White. And the North Wind. This is a great comic that I don't have much to say about from month to month. If you ever enjoyed fairy tales and like extrapolations about the characters that appear in them, then FABLES is a book you should give a try.

#466806 06/06/06 01:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I feel like #49 was a 'I forgot how freaking kick-ass this comic can be' issue. Not that the comic has been bad or anything (quite the opposite), but I feel it switched back into high gear here, although I can't really give direct reasons why.

I'm looking forward to one day reading the whole run in a row (as I did with Swamp Thing, Sandman, Doom Patrol & Preacher) so I can enjoy it in its entirety. But its a great read month in and month out.

#466807 06/07/06 06:48 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
It's the only book I buy both the monthly -and- the trade for. I love reading the stories as collected in the trades, but I'm WAAAAY too impatient to "WAIT for the trade"... gotta have my monthly dose of Fables!

I thought the Arabian Days and Nights arc dragged a bit, though I enjoyed it... It was just a bit of a (probably necessary) drop-off from the awesome Boy Blue/Advesary/Homelands arc preceding it. But the Ballad of Rodney and June was great, and Wolves sets up the reunion we've been waiting for. nod

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">But where's Bigby and Snow's windchild??? He/She/It(?) was supposed to seek out Bigby at the end of the Mean Seasons arc... but there's no mention when we find Bigby again. frown </span></span>

#466808 06/07/06 02:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Answers next week in the 64-page issue!

I wonder how the spin-off Jack of Fables will be; we get a preview in #50.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#466809 06/17/06 02:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
#50: the big issue

This was good, even with the (appropriately) sappy happy-ever-after ending.

Bigby comes back to the Fables farm for a top-secret mission and heads off to the Cloud Kingdom. The physical properties of this place are curiously mind-twisting, and I hope we see more of the Cloud Kingdom in future issues.

You sort of see the next part coming, but not how it turns out. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Bigby then goes to confront Geppetto, delivers a message that Fabletown will be fighting back just like the Mundy Israelis do - tough and merciless. He uses "Mundy magic" to detonate bombs all through the magic grove and destroys it. Back to Fabletown, where he gets his reward: land adjacent to the farm, where he and Snow can live with their children. They get married (no great spoiler, it's on the cover).</span></span>

There are a lot of details here that could be developed in future issues. We do see evidence of the wind-child but he remains a secret from everyone except his parents and a few Fables elders. This certainly isn't the end of the saga with the Empire, but it's really uncertain how that will play out.

The Jack of Fables preview was fun. Jack was a pretty loathesome character in the issues which covered his story, so I wasn't too keen on this - but it looks interesting - with some humour. One character in the first issue is The Pathetic Fallacy, which is well done - and it doesn't seem that Jack will be treated too kindly. Perhaps it will be a morality fable.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,838
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Evolution Has Failed
Evolution Has Failed
Old Lyme, CT
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star