Roll Call
0 members (), 8 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 01:31 PM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Set - 09/28/24 12:27 PM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Legionnaires At Their Best
#4598 07/27/06 09:47 AM
Leader
Leader
For Duo Damsel, I'd choose Adv. 369, when she saved those 2 truck drivers while Superboy and Mon-El were standing around wondering what to do.

A small moment I like for Lightning Lad is when he catches his sister and flies her to safety after she's shot out of the sky in Adv. 347.

For Phantom Girl, I'd choose the issue where she stands by her man--Adv. 316.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#4599 07/27/06 02:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For Wildfire there are a bunch of moments for me:
-- both his origin where he "dies" to save Gim and his return, when the saves the Legion from Molecule Master
-- When he faces down Omega
-- The issue where he tells his origin to the trainees. It showed his hot-headedness at the same time as showing his humanity, team spirit and genuine role as mentor, gaining Lightning Lad's respect in the meantime.
-- The Great Darkness where he manhandles Dawny, throwing her out of danger while holding off three of the Dark Servants before getting blasted.
-- His pursuit of Dawny when she's on her Grand Tour
-- Legion Lost when he faces off with the Progeny armada.

#4600 07/27/06 03:53 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Hmmm...
For Dream Girl, I'd advocate for Waid's issue spotlighting (maybe number 4(?) of the current run. Or, I'd vote for the last issue or two in the Who is Sensor Girl plot--showing off her leadership, some combat, and some melancholy at sensing Mentalla's future.

For Element Lad, definitely his orgin story, whichever number of Adventure that was.

For Saturn Girl, the last issue of the Universo Project (or the entire Universo Project) or the Adventure story where she plans to take on the Khunds by herself (until Garth steps in). Or any other story where she just decides to take things on by herself.

#4601 07/27/06 04:14 PM
S
Active
Active
S
For Phantom Girl, I would nominate Superboy #220, where she defuses a bomb at the center of a planet. The impressive thing about this feat is that everyone, including Jo, urges her not to do it because of the immense risk. But she chooses to be heroic rather than safe, and ends up saving the day.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#4602 07/27/06 04:20 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
From the Subs: Stone Boy's greatest moment was during the trials to see which Sub would become a Legionnaire, he apparently gave up his chance in order to keep innocent people from being hurt.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#4603 07/27/06 05:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
From the Subs: Stone Boy's greatest moment was during the trials to see which Sub would become a Legionnaire, he apparently gave up his chance in order to keep innocent people from being hurt.
That and the time he defeated Pulsar Stargrave!

#4604 07/27/06 06:16 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Kid Quantum II: when she created a memorial for Element Lad on Trom. A quiet moment, no glory or sacrifice involved, but real and three-dimentional, IMO.

M'Onel: Another quiet scene. He sits talking with Traid about the future of humanity. This was after the final defeat of the Demon's Head, with the Hypertaxis problem still not fully addressed.

#4605 07/27/06 06:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
STAR BOY:

Adv. #342. He accepted his unjustifiable explusion with good grace and immediately went on to join the Subs.

Adv. #350-351. Tricking his former teammates as "Sir Prize" in Adv. 350-351.

LSH v.3 #306. In the flashback to the Takron-Galtos mission, he ended a prison riot after his Kryptonian-level powers suddenly deserted him.

LSH v.4 #61. The moment near the end where threw caution to the wind and swept Dream Girl into his arms.

Legion Worlds #4. His display of power during the Robotica invasion of Xanthu. Training to be a "portable black hole."

The Legion #13. Used his powers on a massive scale to prevent Warworld from disrupting Earth's gravity.

The Legion #33. Lifted the Credo mothership off the planet and did a little dance with Nura at the end. smile

In the current series, the scenes where Thom questions Rokk's ethics vis-a-vis Projectra (issue #6) and later forces his way past her guards to check on her welfare (issue #18).

#4606 07/28/06 09:15 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree with Dr. One about Ultra Boy in the annual V.4 #1. That's definately his defining story.

For Mon-El, I'd say TMK #4, where he comes back to the Legion finally, and proceeds to destroy the Time Trapper, knowing full well it'll end that timeline. His belief that a Legion would still exist and his determination to defeat the Time Trapper really showed his heroic side more than any other moment to me. That's when I really knew that I loved the character.

If you were going to include the Subs, it'd have to be Terra Mosiac (forget the issue numbers).

My personnal favorite Karate Kid moment is when the five Legionnaires learn that they have only 15 minutes to live (late Silver Age) and Val decides he wants to spend his final moments going out in a blaze of glory, so he hunts down the ENTIRE Fatal Five and battles them by himself.

#4607 07/28/06 09:18 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
For Wildfire there are a bunch of moments for me:
-- both his origin where he "dies" to save Gim and his return, when the saves the Legion from Molecule Master
-- When he faces down Omega
-- The issue where he tells his origin to the trainees. It showed his hot-headedness at the same time as showing his humanity, team spirit and genuine role as mentor, gaining Lightning Lad's respect in the meantime.
-- The Great Darkness where he manhandles Dawny, throwing her out of danger while holding off three of the Dark Servants before getting blasted.
-- His pursuit of Dawny when she's on her Grand Tour
-- Legion Lost when he faces off with the Progeny armada.
Drake, your thoughts on Wildfire echo mine as always. All excellent pics.

Matthew, this thread rocks. Great idea.

#4608 07/28/06 10:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
For Chameleon Boy:

Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes #249, a story called "Murder Most Foul". Ultra Boy is framed for murder. Reep reveals himself to be sly, intelligent,thoughtful investigator and a loyal friend while coming to grips with one of the greatest threats the Legion ever faced - Brainiac 5 covertly loosing his sanity.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#4609 07/28/06 10:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Another thought for Saturn Girl:

"The Legionnaire Who Killed" from the Adventure days. Star Boy kills a man in self defense. The team votes on whether or not to expell him. The girls all show sympathy and vote in favor of letting Thom stay. Saturn Girl remains true to the principles the Legion was founded on, and votes for expulsion. I think this was truly the start of her "ice queen" or "iron butt" persona. We certainly knew after that she wasn't the typical "girl Legionnaire".

#4610 07/28/06 11:27 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Jerry:
For Chameleon Boy:

Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes #249 [...]
I agree. Wonderful Cham spotlight. However, it was in # 239, not 249.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#4611 07/28/06 11:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the correction. Memory isn't what it used to be...

#4612 07/29/06 11:02 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I didn't see any for Brainiac 5 so here are my picks:

The final showdown with the Time Trapper when Brainy lets loose the Infinite Man to put the smackdown on TT ... that story had a good moment for Rond Vidar too ...

Another choice is the annual where Querl is trying to help cure Douglas Nolan of his insanity ... it's always nice to see moments of compassion like that.

#4613 07/29/06 09:12 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
I didn't see any for Brainiac 5 so here are my picks:

The final showdown with the Time Trapper when Brainy lets loose the Infinite Man to put the smackdown on TT ... that story had a good moment for Rond Vidar too ...
LSH v3#50. That was a good one, indeed.

Another choice is the annual where Querl is trying to help cure Douglas Nolan of his insanity ... it's always nice to see moments of compassion like that.
I think that was LSH v2#300.

A couple that came to my mind...

LSH v4#0 for Rokk, Garth, and Imra. The quintessential telling of the Legion origin.

And I definitely add my vote for the "Tenzil Kem Trilogy": LSH v4 #11, 14, and 49

"I will drill a hole through my head. You cannot stop me."
#4614 07/31/06 07:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
For Kid Quantum II, Legion 6 has two great scenes: one where she takes out Brainstorm (complete with snappy patter!) and one where she stands up to Cosmic Boy and convinces him to head for Metropolis to help the civilians.

#4615 08/27/06 09:52 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
I'm going to be preparing another 'The Legionnaires' entry for Legion Abstract in the next week or so and I wanted to give you all a chance to chime in with predictions.

This is going to be a special entry because I'm going to be doing four Legionnaires at once. These are the four Legionnaires who, in my opinion, had signature appearances in 'For No Better Reason', the four part Gail Simone storyline that ended the 'The Legion' series a couple of years ago. (That's the storyline where four villains named Devil, Canary, Lantern and Arrow turn off all the technology in the Metropolis area for some reason I never quite caught.)

So your challenge is to guess which four Legionnaires I have in mind. I will say that one is obvious, two are not exactly obvious, and one is probably far from obvious.

If anybody manages to guess all four before the post goes up (and I don't know when that will be) I'll mention you in the article and you will experience a great deal of satisfaction. (I won't reveal the answer here; I'll just put the article up and let everyone see.)

Most importantly I want to let you all know that I'm keeping track of all the suggestions in this thread and I appreciate everyone's ideas.

#4616 10/21/06 01:44 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Okay, I didn't do the thing from the Simone story like I said I would. Instead I did Invisible Kid. Well, I had to.

But this is another one that I'm extremely proud of, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people here think of it.

How did Cosmic Boy's hair colour affect the battle of Helegyn? Find out here ...

#4617 10/21/06 04:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Very interesting & insightful - as usual, Matthew.

I'd have to review the issues, but I wonder if Lyle's provoke-react-slap down approach to life is really focussed on men in authority/powerful males - father, Cos, Elysion, Karate Kid. He acted differently with Atom Girl. Triplicate Girl was provoking him (when he was developing the three planets idea to defeat Lemnos) but he didn't react to the bait.

Would Jo be "immune" to Lyle's behaviour? He is very powerful, but (apparently) nowhere near as bright as Lyle. Still, he doesn't seem to do this with Brainy - maybe it's a physical power thing he's reacting to, not mental dominance. Which makes his adoration of Supergirl a little more complicated.... It should be interesting to see how he reacts with Mon-el.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#4618 10/21/06 09:32 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Great analysis Matthew! I think there is more to the fact that Lyle is by far the youngest of the Legionnaires in play here. He is a freshman in a "school" full of juniors & seniors. The other guys treat him as a snot nosed kid (for the most part) and it rankles so he takes every opportunity to challenge or lash out at them the best he can. He also harbors resentment at authority figures because of his father so he would have issues with the older guys as well because of this.

Lets not forget that these are no ordinary guys. For the most part, they are all alpha males and Lyle is trying to establish his place in this pack.

Brainy is the exception I believe because it was Querl who saved him from his abusive home life, giving him a flight ring to make his escape. He is also the only person around from which Lyle can "learn" or so he believes.

As to the girls...what pre-teen or teenaged boy isn't entralled with beautiful girls (assuming this Lyle isn't gay wink )? They can do no wrong and their attention (any sort of attention) is all he wants. They can tease him unmercifully (worse than any of the guys) and he will blush but love the attention (and fantasize about what that attention means laugh )

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#4619 10/21/06 10:24 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Good points all around.

I can't decide if Lyle only behaves that way around powerful males or not; we haven't seen him interact with enough other characters. In the case of Vi, in his mind he had already provoked her with his accusation of spying, so that may be evidence for either side.

Is Lyle the youngest? He acts like it, and he's certainly the most junior in experience (not counting Dream Boy), but chronologically I don't think it's at all safe to say (considering different species, different societies, different planetary lengths of years...).

As to the girls...what pre-teen or teenaged boy isn't entralled with beautiful girls (assuming this Lyle isn't gay [Wink] )?
Or even if he is. Just a different kind of enthrallment. But, no, if he was gay I don't think he'd be considering Cosmic Boy competition for Kara.

#4620 10/22/06 12:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I really enjoy reading your analyses of the Legionnaires, ME. Your thoughts are interesting and offer new insight into long-cherished characters.

The pattern leading to a slap-down behavior ascribed to Lyle gives me a bit of inroads into a character I've had trouble warming up to, this boot. For that, I thank you.

I find the wanting to disappear/power of invisibility link somewhat off-putting-- but I think it is a pretty apt description of the Lyle we've been seeing (hee!).

Nothing at *all* like reboot Lyle-- who may have wanted to disappear, but only to be sneakier and get the goods on any and everyone. How to relate power to personality traits for the previous Lyle? Secretive smartie gives himself the one power that would be most effective against someone who possessed the one non-super power of observation that so characterized the Lyle-Norg-that-was. Lyle was the emobodiment of the term 'eagle eye'.

And he wasn't shy about using the info he observed, either-- though that doesn't readily translate into a super-power analogy. Though he did give himself his super-power...

Sigh-- I miss that Lyle quite a bit. It's hard for me to accept that he's such a newbie and an outsider in this LSH. Cognitive dissonance!

#4621 10/22/06 01:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I don't remember any of the issue numbers...

For Ultra Boy, he returns to Rimbor, and is accused of a crime (a woman is incinerated by a blaster, and it's made to look like he's killed her with his flash vision).

For Timber Wolf, the visit to Lythyl to honor Karate Kid's last request. (mentioned also upthread, #13 of the Baxter reboot?)

For Karate Kid, the fight with the LSV, from breaking out of the 'power-suppressing' restraints to his sacrifice at the end.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#4622 10/22/06 11:15 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Set:
I don't remember any of the issue numbers...

For Ultra Boy, he returns to Rimbor, and is accused of a crime (a woman is incinerated by a blaster, and it's made to look like he's killed her with his flash vision).

"Murder Most Foul," SLSH #239. I really liked this one.

For Timber Wolf, the visit to Lythyl to honor Karate Kid's last request. (mentioned also upthread, #13 of the Baxter reboot?)

Correct.

For Karate Kid, the fight with the LSV, from breaking out of the 'power-suppressing' restraints to his sacrifice at the end.
The sacrifice was in LSH v3 #4. I think his escape from the restraints was in that issue, but it might have been in the previous issue.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,840
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star