Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Ann Hebistand - 06/28/24 04:59 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Ann Hebistand - 06/28/24 04:56 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 04:36 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 06/28/24 03:39 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 03:26 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/28/24 05:41 AM
Crow! Tell us the good things going on in your life!
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/27/24 12:26 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 06/27/24 09:20 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The Legionnaires At Their Best
#4548 07/12/06 09:03 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Just a couple of minutes ago I put up a new post at Legion Abstract in which I ask for some help. I'd like to ask again here, because I think it could lead to an interesting discussion.

What I want to do on LA is to put up one post for each Legionnaire (over a long period of time, of course). In that post, I'll highlight a comic book in which that Legionnaire is seen at his or her best. Not necessarily a spotlight issue (although I suppose it could happen); just a comic book in which that Legionnaire uses his or her powers in a cool way, or has a good character moment, or kicks a lot of ass, or really for any reason.

What I'd like help with are suggestions (here, or in the blog comments, or by e-mail) for which issues are the best choices for which Legionnaires.

I already have some ideas of my own, and I don't own every single Legion comic, so I can't guarantee I'll use everybody's suggestions, but I'll carefully consider them all.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Re: The Legionnaires At Their Best
#4549 07/13/06 12:48 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The Legion Abstract looks like a terrific project, Matthew. It presents "snapshots" of each Legionnaire, both visual and verbal.

For Bouncing Boy, I suggest using "The Impossible Target" from SUPERBOY # 199. This is a BB solo story, in which a villain hunts him down as the "weakest" Legionnaire. Of course, BB proves otherwise. It's one of my all-time favorite Legion stories.

Phantom Girl is a toughie. I can't think of any issues that spotlighted her. She always seemed to be everyone's favorite supporting character, instead of a lead actor in stories. (I take it that you are considering her a separate character from Apparition?) But one example of Phantom Girl using her power in a creative way, I thought, was from ADVENTURE COMICS # 333. She walks through a group of dinosaurs, spooking them into stampeding.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#4550 07/13/06 01:59 AM
Deputy
Deputy
My favorite Ayla appearance is when she gets her lightning powers back in the LSV story at the beginning of the Baxter series.

And I love the White Witch's first solo fight against that Khundian warrior in LSH 298 (or around there).

#4551 07/13/06 09:51 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
The Legion Abstract looks like a terrific project, Matthew. It presents "snapshots" of each Legionnaire, both visual and verbal.
Thanks! But that's not all I'm doing on the site. Please poke around.

Phantom Girl is a toughie. [...] (I take it that you are considering her a separate character from Apparition?)
No, no; Tinya is Tinya. Similarly across all the boots: details about a character may change, but if the secret identity and planet of origin show that it's supposed to be the same person, then as far as I'm concerned it's the same person. So, Princess Projectra is the same as Sensor (strange as that may be), but Dawnstar is not Shikari.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will say that one of the suggestions made is one I had already thought of, and it's one I look forward to writing up.

#4552 07/13/06 09:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Matt, I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest this but for Chemical King you have to use "The Unique Properties of Condo Arlik" from Secret Origins #47. That is the ultimate CK story.

#4553 07/13/06 10:33 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'd suggest "Ghosts in the Clubhouse" from the late Baxter era for Lyle Norg.

#4554 07/13/06 11:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Matt, I'm sure I won't be the only one to suggest this but for Chemical King you have to use "The Unique Properties of Condo Arlik" from Secret Origins #47. That is the ultimate CK story.
agree agree agree

one of the best origin stories ever published in Secret Origins and mine is even signed buy Chris Sprouse too! His first Legion artwork ever!

#4555 07/13/06 11:25 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Especially in this case, because the number of comics I've read with Chemical King in them is vanishingly small (although, when I was really young, I did read the one where some guy rips off Invisible Kid's serum and goes on a crime spree, and Lyle has to find a way to, basically, beat himself, and it turns out the way to do it is to get Chemical King to stop the chemical process of the invisibility serum in the thief's body - the perfect solution, since a) only Condo could do it, and b) he needs Lyle's information to do it anyway, so Lyle's usefulness isn't threatened). Left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't have done one of these for Chemical King. Now, assuming I ever run across a copy of this comic, I might someday.

#4556 07/13/06 11:35 AM
Deputy
Deputy
For Element Lad, might I suggest "The Ultimate Revenge (Superboy #211), "The Ordeal of Element Lad (Action #391) and the finale of Earthwar (Superboy/LSH #245). The first two are in the Archives. You can ignore the post-Crisis stuff. smile

EDIT: Oh, and his origin story in Adventure #307, of course.

#4557 07/13/06 11:55 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Kinetix is a tough one. Pretty much anything from after her encounter with the Anomaly is a no-no. Her origin story in LSH v4 Annual 6 is pretty good, but her power lust is a bit too much there. Still, it does explain WHY she lusts for power.

Legionnaires 42 tones down the power lust, though, and shows her standing up to Mysa and taking care of her family.

For Zoe's softer side, Legionnaires 44 shows her comforting Lori Morning after Rond Vidar deages her, and Legionnaires 52 has her helping Violet after she gets the uncontrollable growth powers.

XS is easier. Legionnaires 19 (single-handedly saves the whole Legion), LSH Annual 6 (origin story) and Legionnaires Annual 3 (makes her way home through the timestream) would all be good bets. Jenni also impressed me in Legionnaires Annual 2, when she was saving the people on the beach from a tidal wave caused by one of the Daxamites.

#4558 07/13/06 12:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
You know, I'm pretty excited to see what you do for each Legionnaire. Your blog is interesting and well-written.

For Gates, I'd like to suggest LSH 120, where Gates almost single-handedly faces the whole Fatal Five, or LSH 121, where he lures the Emerald Eye into a cave just by teleporting around. LSH 97 has him come up with the plan to defeat Mantis.

Monstress was probably at her best under DnA, so I'd suggest her spotlight issue, Legion Lost 2.

#4559 07/13/06 01:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Great suggestions. For INVISIBLE KID, I'll add LEGION #5-- the one where Saturn Girl and Lyle journey to Kwai-space.

For ELEMENT LAD, I'll put forward LSH #50-- where Jan probably has the biggest use of his power ever. (I was tempted to throw in the infamous #31, which I contend is a *great* Element Lad story-- though not a good one for fans of Shvaughn Erin). 'Violet's Story' (LSH #305) wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

For PHANTOM GIRL-- SUPERBOY AND LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #210, where Tinya took a ghost's knife-wound in the gut. Mainly for the scene at the end where she receives a glowing tribute from her teammates.

For SATURN GIRL I've got to go with ADVENTURE 308, "The Return of Lightning Lad".

SUN BOY's best would have to be in ADVENTURE, too, but it'll take a little thought to decide which issue I'd pick.

SHADOW LASS has several to choose from-- which is pretty good for a heroine who was never leader or deputy. It'd be hard to beat her debut (not counting pics of her statue) in ADVENTURE 365.

Though I love her part in LSH 288's "The Legionnaire's Made For Burning", that issue should maybe be used for one of DREAM GIRL's best moments.

I look forward to reading other folks' choices. (hint!)

#4560 07/13/06 01:32 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Continued thanks... but, man, you guys are mentioning a lot of comics I don't own. Oh well: I have time.

#4561 07/13/06 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Matthew E, don't forget that many of us can provide scans of pages for you. One of the several great things about LW.

#4562 07/13/06 01:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Exactly. I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of the Condo story where you can read it now.

#4563 07/13/06 01:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

SUN BOY's best would have to be in ADVENTURE, too, but it'll take a little thought to decide which issue I'd pick.
I was tempted to suggest "Mutiny of the Legionnaires" for Sun Boy as a definitive story, though it might not be one that paints him in the best light. Still, it's really about his determination and heroism pushing him too far that leads him to suffer the "space-fatigue" that is the story's centerpiece.

#4564 07/13/06 02:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For Cosmic Boy, LSH #297. The spotlight on Rokk. Just about the best story you could pick for him. I know, its another spotlight, but it is a real good focus on his past and actually grows the character over the course of the issue.

#4565 07/13/06 03:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
"Mettle"-- the perfect title for a spotlight of a character with magnietic abilities was the title of the issue LL chose.

That's a definite.

Another choice would be the issue that closed out the reboot team's first mission. Cos had a speech that he gave as the leader chosen by his teammates bolstering the ego of the leader appointed by the UP (Leviathan). I think Cosmic Boy's rep as the ultimate leader of the team was somewhat grafted into history without a whole lot of precedent. It was nice to see it happen before the reader's eyes, here.

#4566 07/13/06 03:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm having a hard time with one for Garth. As much as I don't care for his time as "Live Wire" off-hand (in other words without a lot of re-reading) I'd have to say that Legion Lost #12 is a good one. But that opinion is subject to change if I get a chance to re-read some older Adventure and Levitz era stories.

#4567 07/13/06 03:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
"Mettle"-- the perfect title for a spotlight of a character with magnietic abilities was the title of the issue LL chose.

That's a definite.

Another choice would be the issue that closed out the reboot team's first mission. Cos had a speech that he gave as the leader chosen by his teammates bolstering the ego of the leader appointed by the UP (Leviathan). I think Cosmic Boy's rep as the ultimate leader of the team was somewhat grafted into history without a whole lot of precedent. It was nice to see it happen before the reader's eyes, here.
Do you mean this one ML, from LSH v4 #62?

click to enlarge

#4568 07/13/06 03:20 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Matthew E, don't forget that many of us can provide scans of pages for you. One of the several great things about LW.
Exactly. I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of the Condo story where you can read it now.
Thanks. I may take you up on that. I should say I'm not in any big rush to get this done--if I do one Legionnaire a month, I'll consider that to be pretty fast. Legion Abstract isn't one of those blogs where I feel the need to post every day; I'll do an issue review every time a Legion comic comes out, I'll keep the roster page up to date, and I'll try to do at least one other kind of column or essay a month. Anything else is gravy. Although I do find myself posting a bit more frequently these days... actually, yes, please point me at the Chemical King story. By e-mail is fine, if you don't want to post it here.
For Cosmic Boy, LSH #297. The spotlight on Rokk. Just about the best story you could pick for him. I know, its another spotlight, but it is a real good focus on his past and actually grows the character over the course of the issue.

That's a definite.
One of the things I knew when I started into this is that I wouldn't be using that story for Cosmic Boy. Parts of it aren't bad--I liked the art, and I like how he flies magnetically--but I can't stand the story itself. "If you kill them, you're proving yourself as bad as they are! It's not worth it!" If I never see or read that scene again, it'll be too soon. It's a freaking chestnut. Anyway, I have some other ideas for Cosmic Boy (and the other one you mention, at the end of the first reboot mission, isn't a bad suggestion at all).

#4569 07/13/06 03:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
On the nose, LL.

His banquet with Mordru is another highlight.

I didn't come up with a great one for Garth, either. A small moment I like a lot is when he eavesdrops on Wildfire telling his story to Lamprey, Nightwind and Crystal Kid during the easy-to-forget period between Earthwar and The Great Darkness.

Hmmm. Maybe after a few weeks when this thread runs its course, maybe we should start a Legionnaire at their Nadir thread. Cos's would have to be when he became the Time Trapper. Or when he alienated TTT in the reboot. Or when he slapped Ayla.

#4570 07/13/06 03:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
My favorite Saturn Girl moment is her single-handed defeat of Universo in the Universo Project. Her 'dialogue' with Darkseid was pretty good, too.

For Xs, I suggest Legion of the Damned. She was also very good in the Legion Worlds issue on Xanthu

And for Sensor Girl/Projectra, I love her final encounter with the Emerald Empress. I really hated her execution of Nemesis Kid (could never understand how she managed that).

#4571 07/13/06 03:46 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Doctor One and I think a lot alike.

maybe we should start a Legionnaire at their Nadir thread
I like this idea. Already I have some ideas. ("5?" Who calls himself "5"? What are you, a Charlie Brown character? And go get your hair cut, for God's sake; you look like a roadie.)

#4572 07/13/06 04:06 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
A good Princess Projectra story (I don't know the issue number. I read it in a little paperback that consisted of black & white reprints I am pretty sure it is post Adventure)

The story consists of Projectra & Saturn Girl on a mission. They get zapped by a bad guy. When they wake up and get back to headquarters, no one knows them and there are male counterparts for them, Saturn Lad & Prince Projectur. Also their powers seem to not be working. They are put into a holding cell. Projectra works out an escape. She separates from Saturn Girl and confronts Karate Kid (leader at the time) He denies knowing her. She figures out that she can use her power now that Saturn Girl isn't around and tricks Karate Kid into calling out her name.

What happened was Projectra was being tested because the computer determined that she was the most likely one to crack under pressure. Saturn Lad, Prince Projectur, & the bad guy were all other legionnaires disguised. Saturn Girl just made Projectra think her power didn't work.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,540
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Chemical King
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Doc Nimbus
Doc Nimbus
Founder's Falls, Paragon City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star