Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 09/28/24 03:56 AM
Why love the legion?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:24 AM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:20 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:19 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:17 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:16 AM
Kill This Thread LVI - Little Vi?
by Invisible Brainiac - 09/28/24 02:15 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
LSH Tournament Discussion
#451914 11/21/11 04:15 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I am pleased with the high demand in the Tournament. I have taken a request to create a second thread, which is warranted given the high number of points and discussions Tournaments create. Feel free to talk about the battles in-depth. You may ask for canon checks in the form of references or panels from other players. All I ask is that things remain civil and for everyone to follow the rules of the forum.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: LSH Tournament Discussion
#451915 11/21/11 04:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Emily!!!

I've just completed my picks and wanted to chat about everyone's picks.

Here's my message moved over from the Tournament thread, which I think it will look nice if it's just everyone's picks that we can read through without the commentary and opinions messing up the flow and simple organization.

I forgot this was Duplicate Damsel and not Triplicate Girl ... oh well.

Also, Terraform Zoe may be impervious to telepathy and is strong enough to at least check Karate Kid for a moment. I assumed it was transmutation Kinetix though.

Is this Terraform Zoe or Kinetix ?

I also didn't count on post boot Vi's shrinking power since all I remember about post boot Vi is her growing with Leviathan's power

oh well!!!! laugh Everybody's picks are so interesting! And I can see almost all of them as true in reality. It often depends on the strongest or fastest character acting with their wits at the beginning of the battle to take out the other teams strongest or fastest. And if that character WOULD act as I am thinking or if they'd act as they've been shown to act in the comics.

I'm looking at you Ultra Boy, I know they made an effort to smarten him up in the 5YL but, I still don't see him as clever IN battle, maybe leading a team on the run, or manipulating Glorith but ... never in the use of his powers ... which he would have to be even more clever than Supes or Mon-El to take full advantage of them.

I'm kind of ignoring the leader picks a bit, I think if things got tough the natural leader would grab the reigns. Also, I find I'm giving credence to a lot of the experienced Legionnaires who have been shown time and time again to overcome sticky situations and much stronger opponents. (Dream Girl, Cham, Lightning Lass, Element Lad etc. )

#451916 11/21/11 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I have yet to find an online source that defines Terraform Kinetix's powers. I need to know what power level she is at because in standard Tournaments characters like Mordru and Superman (Pre-Crisis) are not allowed.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#451917 11/21/11 11:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just read everyone's votes up to and including PB. It's fun seeing the different ways people envision the fights going.

Some points -

* Kinetix - can we please just think of her as normal Kinetix and not that Terraform abomination? There can't be a person on this site that prefers that monstrosity to the normal Kinetix we all know and love and that thing never had it's powers properly explained anywhere anyway.

* I hope people remember to take into account the locations/stages of the battles when deciding outcomes - a) because the environments make the battles more interesting and can affect the results (I would never have picked Polar Boy over Neon on any other stage for example but all that water gave him an interesting edge); and b) because some Legionnaire's powers would be limited by their environments and that should be taken into account in the battles (for example, I think a couple of people factored Storm Boy and Nightwind into the Laboratory fight but I'm at a loss as to what they could have offered in that closed environment).

* I hope people vote for who would actually win each battle rather than just their favourites. I wouldn't want to see this turn into just another popularity contest when we've already got Legion Idol/Survivor type games going on.

* There are some Legionnaires who are clearly more powerful than a lot of the others. I almost feel like I could predict the last 5-8 Legionnaires standing right now. The interesting thing about the team system though is that while Element Lad, Saturn Girl and Mon-El may be unbeatable together; Element Lad, Turtle and Color Kid together definitely could be. So it will be interesting to see if those more powerful members get lucky with effective teammates on their road to the end, or if they luck out with the more niche-powered characters, enabling them to be taken out and leaving us with a less predictable final 5.

#451918 11/22/11 04:13 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
*Kinetix - I prefer transmutation Zoe as well. Terrorform Kinetix pretty much had powers as the plot demands, ugh. They were never limited or defined.

*Nightwind's wind powers I think should still work well within the closed confines of a lab. Storm Boy's I believe wouldn't. Wind is much more precise.

*A lot of this will be luck-based, which is why I suggested jumbling teams every round. I mean, one team has Andromeda AND White Witch together, giving them an automatic advantage through most of the tournament!

#451919 11/22/11 05:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Oh, I have a suggestion for the Wild Cards. Maybe we can bring individual Legionnaires back, instead of whole teams. I remember there were quite a few comments that some Legionnaires (especially Kinetix!) merely got saddled with poor teammates.

#451920 11/22/11 02:18 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Once I calculate the votes and establish the basis for the next rounds, I will indicate that Kinetix is Non-Terraform on the first page. I plan to hold the Wild Card Rounds after the second round.

I need to have a Wild Card Round for teams for mathematical reasons. I chose seventy-two characters and divided them up in teams of three. This means there are twenty-four teams in round one, twelve teams in round two, and six teams in round three. If we add two teams back then the total goes up to eight teams, so in the next round there is four teams, then ultimately two teams.

#451921 11/22/11 02:34 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Oh, I have a suggestion for the Wild Cards. Maybe we can bring individual Legionnaires back, instead of whole teams. I remember there were quite a few comments that some Legionnaires (especially Kinetix!) merely got saddled with poor teammates.
I agree re: bringing individual Legionnaires back, and then mixing them up into new teams.

#451922 11/22/11 02:45 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
We could have three Wild Card Rounds then. The first Wild Card would be a vote bring back two previously defeated teams. The second Wild Card would be a draft for characters not in the Tournament, for example Rainbow Girl and Reflecto. The third Wild Card would be a draft for characters who have previously been in the Tournament.

I will eliminate the Team Wild Card if the demand is low and if there is alternate option regarding mathematical distribution. I want to note that I am thinking of following this up with a LSV Tournament.

#451923 11/22/11 02:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LSV Tournament hahaha! Great Idea.

I prefer an individual character wild card round to bringing back a team wild card round, if it matters.

#451924 11/22/11 06:26 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The results of the First Round are posted. Thank you for your participation so far. It takes a long time to assemble teams using Random Generators at this stage of the Tournament because there are so many individuals. Thank you for your patience and continue to vote.

#451925 11/23/11 02:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I think most prefer bringing back individual characters, so my suggestion is, we bring back a total of 6 individuals. That'll give us enough players to form two new teams, so we can still have 8 teams total.

Thanks for all the effort you're putting in here, Emily! I'd love an LSV tournament as well.

#451926 11/23/11 04:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is kind of minor but I'd like the Volcano Stage renamed the Fire Stage or something since 3 players (including me) incorrectly assumed that "Volcano" meant "lava" when there's actually none on that field. Just fire.

#451927 11/23/11 01:02 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I want to let everyone know in advance that tomorrow is a holiday in the United States so there may be a delay betweeen the time votes are due and the time votes are counted.

I think most prefer bringing back individual characters, so my suggestion is, we bring back a total of 6 individuals. That'll give us enough players to form two new teams, so we can still have 8 teams total.
That sounds like a good idea. I might try to divide the eliminated characters into categories based on the type of fighter they are, but if yhat proves to be too complicated we will just use the top six voted in.

I will rename the Volcano Stage to the Furnance Stage.

I have tried dividing the characters that have already eliminated into categories based on the type of power. However, I am experiancing difficulty because of the vast number of members whose powers involve either energy or the elements. This is my first attempt at organizing them into categories:

Leaders
*Wildfire
*Mon-El
*Cosmic Boy
*Night Girl
*Invisible Kid II
*Kid Quantum I
*Tyroc
*Computo
*Nightwind
*Bouncing Boy
*Kid Quantum II
*Kinetix
Extrasensory Powers
Insect Queen
Dawnstar
Tellus
Kinetic Powers
Polar Boy
Super-Strong (Bricks)
Catspaw
Monstress
Turtle
Stone Boy
Kon-El
Ferro
Energy-Related
Sun Boy
Shadow Lass
Comet Queen
Sizzle
Devlin O'Ryan
Other
Chemical King
Duplicate Damsel
Elastic Lad
XS
Gates
Dragonmage
Matter-Eater Lad
Infectious Lass
Color Kid

As you may notice, there is a lot of characters in the Other column. Any suggestions as to how to organize them better?

#451928 11/24/11 03:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Good try, Emily, but I think their powers are just too diverse to really organize. Maybe we can simply have all characters in the same pool?

That's my personal preference, anyway smile If it comes down to it, I'll just vote for either my favorites, or the ones whom I think have the best chances in this tournament.

#451929 11/24/11 10:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
We should've organized our picks together survivor style ... Otherwise we may have to vote again !

#451930 11/24/11 10:19 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Yes, this is a bit of a work in progress. Normally in Tournaments there is a Street-leveler Wild Card, maybe a Trade Round between players, and simply bringing back another team. The problem is (as you can see from the previous page) the Legion of Super-Heroes aren't structured the way some other super-hero teams are. If I had to assign statistical points most of them would be 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-4.

What is survivor style?

#451931 11/24/11 10:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Like the tv show ... People meet/discussion in secret 'alliances' to 'pool' their votes ...

Let's all vote for dream girl for example ... Hint hint ... wink

Nothing special

#451932 11/24/11 11:28 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Wow, 4 voters in and nobody besides Duplicate Damsel has more than one vote!

What happens if ties can't be broken? Another round of voting, or perhaps everyone makes it back in? laugh

#451933 11/24/11 11:47 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'd suggest giving us about twelve votes instead of six. That way, if five people vote you're guaranteed that at least six characters will get at least two votes.

#451934 11/25/11 09:48 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I will change it to twelve votes then. How does everyone like the Tournament so far? What changes do you want to see in the LSV Tournament?

#451935 11/25/11 10:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm enjoying it immensely so far! I've mentioned all my suggestions for now, but I will let you know if I think of any more.

Thanks for the hard work, Emily.

#451936 11/25/11 09:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The 12 pick version is actually looking to have some similar choices :

Shadow lass
Duplicate girl
And compute might make it in !

#451937 11/25/11 09:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe some new venues or even tasks fir the lsv one. I think a lot of the dumb crooks might havea hard time with the simplest tasks lol. Or lighting lord would keep hearing the storm talk to him ....

Maybe some legion or comics related venues shrug

#451938 11/25/11 09:26 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Looks to me like we've got 5 people with either 3 or 4 votes at the moment.

If no one breaks the tie for the sixth position, I'd suggest randomly picking from among those with 2 votes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,056
Posts1,048,835
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
future king
future king
ontario
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star