Roll Call
0 members (), 29 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 09/27/24 01:54 AM
3 Worst Missteps in Legion History?
by Gaseous Lad - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:49 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/26/24 07:45 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 09/26/24 06:54 PM
Rejected Ideas for Inane MMB Threads...
by rickshaw1 - 09/26/24 05:41 PM
Why love the legion?
by Boy Kid Lad - 09/26/24 03:47 PM
UFO (1970)
by profh0011 - 09/26/24 03:19 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: Costume Design sketches...up dated..TF added
#361236 11/20/04 06:48 PM
L
Applicant
Applicant
L
Hey Barry,
Great stuff! I'm really excited about
this take on the legion. Can't wait. LLL

#361237 11/20/04 07:12 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah! What happened to the PG sketch page? I thought for a minute I'd left one out but it hasn't been posted that I can find. Did Barry get that to you Nightcrawler?

I promise we'll be really nice to you for the rest of the day if you'll post it here for us.

#361238 11/21/04 12:32 AM
Substitute
Substitute
On the comicartfans.com site they have a pic of Barry's pencil drawing for cover #1. Very nice.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery...4659&GSub=4644&GCat=0&UCat=0

#361239 11/22/04 10:12 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hi Guys - thanks as always!

There are some design sheets I can't share yet - don't want to give anything away about upcoming events - but I will get that PG sheet to Nightcrawler today! smile

Nice to see Eddy posting the pencils - and that they aren't for sale laugh

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361240 11/22/04 10:29 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cool. Is Eddy the gentleman that we chatted with at the DC booth, Barry? Or is that the collector friend he mentioned? I thought he was pretty nice.

...and Hamzz, if you'll click the link in my sig you'll see the original art pages that Barry has been kind enough to let us see here at LegionWorld, including his inked version of that page.

-nice to see the pencils posted too-

#361241 11/22/04 11:28 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Hi Barry...I'm 1 of the newest members of the forum...may I ask you a little spoiler? very little!!

there will be "legionnaires' symbols" in your new series as they were in the pre zero hour era?
I'd like to know if the symbols will be important as in that era or simple brands on the costumes

thank and ciao!!!

ps: If I ignore a rule with my spoiler-question to Barry, sorry!

Ciao by Sensor Kid...from the European Legion Outpost
#361242 11/22/04 12:41 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Hi Luca - nice to make your aquaintance! smile

I hope I understand the question properly - if you are refering to the individual legionnaires symbols, yes, they do all have symbols of their own that can be used to represent them - in fact there's a certain logic to most of them that I've tried to bring in - but I'll save most of the theory behind it for another time. smile
(You'll probably be able to work most out anyway by looking through the design sketches)

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361243 11/22/04 01:42 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh no, don't worry too much about that Sensor Kid. There's no written rule about spoilers as far as I know - just please be courteous if you do post spoilers and be sure to add a large space to your post so those that don't want to see spoilers don't accidentally see the information.

I've seen that sometimes we get a little close to info that DC doesn't want us to see yet and Barry's been very good about following the company's rules and not giving anything away to ruin the upcoming stories.

-believe me we have been trying- lol

So ask whatever you want about the Legion and if Barry says, "Wait and see." then we have to 'bite the bullet' and wait it out. On the other hand you might be the guy that thinks of something we didn't and get an answer or two that'll make us all happy.

-LLL-

#361244 11/22/04 03:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Thanks Barry!!
(hey...I spoke with Barry Kitson...it has been a suprise for me to meet an autor here.)

Yes! I was referring to the symbols importance in the Legionnaires organization: in the series "Legionnaires" they have a brand like sups or batman, but in the previous era there was always scene in the multilab or in the hq with Element Lad or Braniac in front of a big screen with all these symbol and other interlac words! so every members had his symbol, his logo...It was amazing to see this inner symbolism!

Thank Yellokid!! anyway, I not a spoilerfan...it can happen that I read something, but not so often! ^_^

Ciao by Sensor Kid...from the European Legion Outpost
#361245 11/24/04 03:25 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Always late to the party...

Random comments on the sketches:

--I preferred the original Gim sketch. But I'm so glad he's back I don't care how his final outfit looks.
--the "bizarre" Cham is very novel. Wish they'd voted that one.
--First chance you get, have Element Lad t-mute his excellent costume to the Dr. Fate colors. Just because.
--That cowl neck totally makes Lu's cape work. This is already my favorite of all her costumes in all of hypertime.
--I love every one of the Vi concepts. Every one. So cyuuuuuute!
--Jeckie is "too perfect?" Must be an illusion to cover up her REPTILIAN SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!
--KK's is the one outfit I just don't like at all. Too poofy for the fighter's mystique and yet still raggedy-looking.
--Best Ultra Boy version ever? Might be. This iconic suit just keeps improving. (Of course after the so-ugly-you-had-to-end-up-loving-it original and the "Dragon" outfit on the Run, there was nowhere to go but up...
--Light Lass...2-piece is better, yes. If a little too...modern day.
--I prefer the Moy costume to all others. But this is a way cool Shady. PLEASE followup on the noir-lighting. Great idea!
--Cos: all the concepts are good.
--Sun Boy: Hmm. Well-tailored? If that was the intention, perhaps the "business suit" aspect needs to be played up. I definitely like it better having read the notes.
--Tinya....Hey, there's no Tinya sketch yet! GET WITH IT! But I like what I've seen so far a lot. Flares are back in, baby!
--The scruffy hair really sells me on Saturn Girl's outfit.
--Brainy, I'm not sold on. The wires definitely seem archaic.
--Lyle is still invisible...? Well, some surprises are a good thing.
--Star Boy's costume's white color and CG starfield are just a way for Barry to do less drawing. Expect to see a lot of Star Boy panels when deadlines get tight. (Yeah, I got your number, dude. wink )
Sure looks good, though.
--Garth looks great. I've preferred the shorter-haired SW6/reboot Livewire look, but I'm already converted to this one.
--Dream Girl's look is the opposite of a nightmare. A pleasant blending of the pure cheesecakey preboot and the too-utilitarian DnA era versions.

I'm another who's never been impressed with Kitson's character design in the past. But here he's not only outdone himself, but he's joined the ranks of the great Legion outfitters of yore. And surpassed many of them.

-- Still here to help.
#361246 11/24/04 06:18 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I was thinking blue/purple/silver for Element Lad. Something else else a little more mystical and mysterious looking. Even black & silver.

The red & yellow colors are just too primary and showy...of course, bright pink and white would have been worse (IMHO).

#361247 11/26/04 04:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree about E-Lad being not so showy. I actually pictured a pale kindof yellow with a muted kindof mustardy brown (it'd actually be slightly reminiscient of a monk's robe).

#361248 11/30/04 01:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I like the idea of Cham's antennae being retracted when not in use or perhaps they're internal. He really needs a change, I think, so Barry's design for him is good by me.

I like the Gim character as a heavy planet type, too. The new take on him is pretty inspired, while playing on his old image as being rather slow, sometimes, compared to some of the other legionnaires.

Lightle played with the idea of Shady/Umbra having a 'cloud' of shadow around her in his planet issue with her. I think it's a great idea and I'll love to seeing Barry's take on it.

I find Imra's and Ayla's outfits to be a little boring and too much like previous designs, though. Sorry, Barry.

But those aren't any big deal. I just want them, especially Ayla, to be a little more exciting.

Thanks for all of the beautiful sketches and I've enjoyed everyones comments, too.

Shady/candlelight

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#361249 12/01/04 05:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Ayla's outfits to be a little boring and too much like previous designs, though"???? Since did we see Ayla having an arrow-emblem on her costume?? This is her first time using an arrow as her symbol instead of cloud, feather, and lightning bolts.

#361250 12/01/04 05:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
although I do agree with Saturn Girl's costume...but it works well on her. or maybe a combination of Grell-era design (yep, a bikini!!) and a cape will do? (similar to Grell's Shadow Lass?)

#361251 12/02/04 09:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The arrow-up was seen for years... on Element Lad, so it could count as a previous dessign.

And speaking of Jan, what the heck is wrong with his old blue & green? He was BOSS in blue & green.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#361252 12/02/04 01:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The arrow-up was seen for years... on Element Lad, so it could count as a previous dessign.

And speaking of Jan, what the heck is wrong with his old blue & green? He was BOSS in blue & green.
Jan's arrow IS what I was thinking of when I made the comment. The colors and sleeveless design are also previous Ayla costume design elements.

I was rather hoping for something flashy.

smile
Shady/candlelight

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#361253 12/02/04 05:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The only time I've ever liked Element Lad was when he was in the pink and white! ... But that's probably just me.

#361254 12/02/04 08:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Particularly early on when he had the "E" (not the interlac version) on his costume. I did like him a lot during the Levitz era, but looking back now I can't say I have that same feeling.

Dan
#361255 12/03/04 01:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked Jan's pink and black...but gotta go with LASH that the blue/green with arrow was very boss. Very cool color combo IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing it again...the arrow didn't do much for me.

Ayla's latest costume I think kicks ass! wink

#361256 12/03/04 02:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jorg-El:
I liked Jan's pink and black...but gotta go with LASH that the blue/green with arrow was very boss. Very cool color combo IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing it again...the arrow didn't do much for me.
That costume actually make him look more manly. It was miles better than the black and white one from the reboot.

Ayla's latest costume I think kicks ass! wink
It actually has grown on me, despite an initial dislike of it.

Dan
#361257 12/04/04 09:20 AM
Active
Active
I love the new looks for Phantom Girl and Light Lass

But I HATE Element Lad's and Sun Boy's. Dirk looks really gay! And Jan's is just horrible! Give him his big arrow back! And a long blonde mullet perm please!

Shadow Lass should keep her Coiepel hair-do. This new look is really bland and 80s ish. Same goes for Projectra. It's really boring.

#361258 12/04/04 01:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Comet King:
I love the new looks for Phantom Girl and Light Lass
I really enjoy Tinya's costume, but I don't think I'm too thrilled with the "P". I realize her first costume had one, but I'd ditch the letter in favor of an oval.

Dan
#361259 12/05/04 11:43 PM
Active
Active
1.Love the Shady idea about the ambient dark lighting.

2.OUTSTANDING shout out to the old schoolers here to have Jan's "up arrow" show up on Ayla's uniform. JUST LOVE IT!

3.Saturn Girl looks great.

4.The Cham on the far right really looks great.

5.BEST E-LAD COSTUME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.See above for Ultra Boy.

7.The Brainy wires and skinny body were OK, but I think that they would be a great "Brainy's gone bats again" look.

8.Why keep doing this? They ALL look good to me. Only 22 and a wake-up until I see for real. Dammit, where'd my time bubble go???
Brainiac53

There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
#361260 12/06/04 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just got word from Barry and we will see something new soon!

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,055
Posts1,048,824
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
minesurfer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
lychanthrope
lychanthrope
Bristol IN USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star