Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Worlds Nine updated 26 June 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 03:19 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:57 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/26/24 02:52 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Re: Costume Design sketches...up dated..TF added
#361211 11/17/04 09:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like it! The second one suits KK more...

#361212 11/17/04 10:53 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
What's left that we haven't seen here?
Maybe the SciPol page but I think that's the one Steve said he'd rather we find out about as we go along 'cause the notes on the page have info relevant to the long term in the series.

Thanks for letting us take a look at those too, it was a fanboy dream come true.

#361213 11/17/04 11:38 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Always a pleasure YK!
Reckon I must owe you personally a sketch or two BTW! smile
I wil try to come up with some more bits and pieces for LW though - even though I think you;re right about the SP page.

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361214 11/17/04 11:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That second costume for KK definitely looks great. I like the logo, too. While the first one is nice, it reminds me too much of Dragonmage.

Dan
#361215 11/17/04 11:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Was there a page for Phantom Girl?

Also, is it possible to see the SP's with the notes blanked out?

No pressure. laugh

#361216 11/17/04 12:13 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Given the high quality of the new designs, Barry, I can't wait to see how you'll envision other classic Legionnaires if/when they pop up in the storyline, especially Bouncing Boy, Wildfire, and Chmeical King.

This is the best I've seen the Legion looking in years!

#361217 11/17/04 12:51 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Good call Nightcrawler - I think there is one sheet with PG on I could post - check your mailbox tomorrow smile

Thanks Knightsfyre! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361218 11/17/04 12:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
very sexy look for karate kid -- i heartily approve!

(always had a crush on him)

and i echo the sentiment that the girls got to show more skin than the boys -- and i want to see some equality in the sexes!

he he he

all in all, though, you've done a great job of updating the looks and keeping the team "teenager/early 20s" in terms of physicality

the "archie legion" drove me crazy because they were boppy smiling cheerleader things without any real sex (sex appeal, sexuality, sex identity, etc) ... but upon looking at the Grell Legion (for instance), i could see where that might be too much sex for the new book

the designs really pop, Barry ... i really wish there was some promotional work that could incorporate your sketches

#361219 11/17/04 01:01 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Now if I could just learn to spell "Chemical"...

Barry -- I know that some artists, when coming onto a new series, do sketches of a variety of characters who don't end up making the final cut/roster, just to get a feel for things and "play" with the milieu a little.

Was there any of this for you and the Legion work, or did you only work up designs for the set of characters that Mark provided?

If there are sketches of "unused" Legionnaires, I'm sure we'd all love to see these as well.

#361220 11/17/04 01:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Knightsfyre:
Now if I could just learn to spell "Chemical"...
You can use this link - [Linked Image] above any post you make and edit those spelling errors out before any of us notice, Knighty! laugh

And looking forward to it, Barry! smile

#361221 11/17/04 01:17 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Originally posted by Knightsfyre:
[b]Now if I could just learn to spell "Chemical"...
You can use this link - [Linked Image] above any post you make and edit those spelling errors out before any of us notice, Knighty! laugh

Thanks, Nightcrawler -- it's especially galling for me to make slip-ups like this, considering I get paid to correct other people's spelling errors...

And looking forward to it, Barry! smile [/b]
===========
Thanks, Nightcrawler -- it's especially galling for me to make slip-ups like this, considering I get paid to correct other people's spelling errors...

#361222 11/17/04 01:18 PM
Deputy
Deputy
KK seems a natural for a group of anachronistic heroes -- who in a techno-utopia would focus on fighting with his hands? As such, this outfit is perfectly appropriate.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#361223 11/17/04 01:55 PM
Leader
Leader
Hey Barry two questions if you have time:
1) Who decides color schemes for the redesigns? Is it collaborative or maybe more you or more the colorist?
2) Which characters' costumes that we've seen in previews will have the most significant changes made when we see the finalized versions debut in issue #1 and subsequent issues?

Thanks!
Monkey Eater Lad

#361224 11/17/04 06:05 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I guess my choice for KK's uniform would depend on what his personality will be in the new series. Is he going to be a hot-head or is he going to be a tranquil contemplator with an inner storm.

If he's going to be more flashy and vocal, I guess I'd opt more for the 1st uniform, but with a different symbol, like a fist or something. Dragons definitely make people think of Dragon mage, but I like the higher collar and head band.

If he's going to be more of the quiet-type like the post boot, then maybe the "Gi" look would work better but I'd rather see him with loose pants as well. Something else else about the tight pants and high boots doesn't look right. Also, fist wraps aren't terribly practical for open-hand fighting/grabbing/throwing. They're more suited for closed-fist punching like Mui-Thai (preventing knuckle scrapes). But I guess that's just the practical, analyzing person I am, not trying to be a h8'er or anything. frown

Heck, just put him in some baggy pants and a "wife-beater" like Bruce Lee. Just joking, but I wouldn't mind seeing a sketch of KK in some traditional Chinese-type garb either (even though karate is more of a Japanese thing). Anyways, those are my random ramblings, carry on.

Thanks for the sneak-peaks, Barry.

#361225 11/18/04 12:40 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Thanks as always guys!

To answer ONE of Monkey Eater Boy's questions - I guess I had most say where I had very definite ideas, but on the costumes where I was totally committed everyone got to chime in - as you may have gathered this creative team is a very collaborative unit!

To NOT answer the other - it's a definite 'wait and see'! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#361226 11/18/04 02:59 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

hey Barry so I am guessing Sunboy looks like the 2nd version here? In the preview pages and sketches there are some changes here and there. wink I guess I will have to wait for the final product.

And not that your busy enough but do you ever alter things slightly just for fun. I mean I know Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman all have their famouse costumes. But in the Legion do you consider altering a costume for a storyline just cause Sunboy was getting tired of the last look? Nothing like the Wasp that changes costumes constantly mind you...but seeing a few characters have 2 to 3 different costumes sounds fun.
tongue

thanks Jorge

#361227 11/18/04 03:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
[Linked Image]

Speaking of different looks? Some thoughts on Element Lad. laugh

I prefer to the blue/yellow version to the red/yellow version. But some folks have mentioned Dr. Fate here and there. Others say the red/yellow may conflict with Sun Boy?

Silver and blue look nice methinks. smile

#361228 11/18/04 03:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Barry one more question. Can we sketches of the SPs??? Especially that cool bukly armor with the visor? thanks smile

#361229 11/18/04 07:02 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Y'know, it's funny how a little stripe of color can change one's outlook on a costume...

I have to say I prefer the "red/yellow" split look of Sun Boy's pants/undersuit (as hinted at in Barry's sketches and shown in color by Jorg-El above) to the solid yellow version we've seen in the preview for issue #1. Now, if we could add red gloves or at least a red wristband above bare hands, that would complete the "retro" look.

Of course, I love all of Barry's costume designs -- even Sun Boy's, though this one'll take more time to grow on me.

To repeat a question for Barry I posted earlier (but which likely got buried by subsequent posts:

I know that some artists, when coming onto a new series, do sketches of a variety of characters who don't end up making the final cut/roster, just to get a feel for things and "play" with the milieu a little.

Was there any of this for you with the Legion work, or did you only work up designs for the set of characters that Mark indicated he wanted to use?

If there are sketches of "unused" Legionnaires, I'm sure we'd all love to see these as well. Mind you, you'll probably want to hold off on these, so as to not spoil any surprises...

#361230 11/18/04 07:08 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Jorg El, how about some of Element Lad's more classic colors on the new costume?

Blue and green? Pink and white? Pink and gray?

#361231 11/18/04 03:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I really like the silver and blue Element Lad costume!

#361232 11/18/04 10:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Knightsfyre, I also prefer the sketch version of Sunboy's costume better...but honestly like them both. That is why I asked Barry if Dirk might change his look often? wink

joe mondo, the green/blue version may look good on E-Lad. I added the silver cause the gold had that element feel...thought silver would as well...something metallic.

Blacula i really like the silver as well. smile

#361233 11/20/04 01:04 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Interestingly, I noticed that in the penciled but un-inked flying group shot/splash page image found on Yellow Kid's site, the central figure was Ultra Boy, not Cosmic Boy.

I imagine that the change was made to bring the three founders into the image, but it's interesting to see the variant versions.

#361234 11/20/04 03:30 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Notice that there are two different versions of the pencilled page? Barry told the story of a misunderstanding in communication and originally drew the group as smiling when he was asked to NOT have them smiling. Personally I like the one where they look happy together.

...and thanks. I wasn't all that sure that anybody was looking, just reading that makes the effort worth it.

#361235 11/20/04 03:37 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Ummm... wither Phantom Girl? Or at least the tantalizing tease of her preview sheet which Barry alluded to previously. smile If I can't actually have the comic in my hands, then I at least wanna have something to wet my whistle... especially considering how much I've enjoyed the sheets thus far.

BTW, Barry, I'm really pleased that you, Mark and Steve (and the rest) all worked so hard to get a release date which landed on my birthday. Even tho you don't know me, I'm thrilled that you all made such a huge effort to make my 30-somethingth birthday so special. Your dedication to your fans is truly astounding!

I mean, that is why the book's being released on that date, right? nod

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,440
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star