Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Gaseous Lad - 07/03/24 12:57 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 07/03/24 12:56 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/03/24 10:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/03/24 12:54 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/03/24 12:53 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/03/24 12:52 AM
So what are you WATCHING? Part 2
by stile86 - 07/02/24 11:26 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 07/02/24 10:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: semi-official LMB Comic writing thread! - now with added crunch -
#331687 04/06/09 07:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So I guess you guys want to focus on the more dramatic side of the LMB? That's fine of course, but its roots were its tendency to parody the LSH and superhero conventions, which we still do to a certain extent. Certainly, this could work very well, though.

Reading over your pages of correspondence to each other as you developed the story, it almost seemed better to me that this might be the first meeting between the principal characters, with only maybe Pagan having already been inducted to the LMB. Bob might be there strictly as a villain in his captivity while Nick was sort of a diplomatic prisoner.I was thinking there might be some other random LMB universe characters in captivity as well, like Hummer Lass for example.

Just some thoughts, though. You may already have gotten past this stage in your emails and PMs. If Lard Lad weren't involved in this particular story, I could help you with the villains. The Dark Oval, for example, has been mentioned as a possible antagonist. No one's a better authority on the D.O. than yours truly! smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#331688 04/06/09 07:37 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think you've pretty well interpreted where we've gone so far.
It may even be that Bob's there because you gave the order and in exchange he's to be pardoned for his past indiscretions. I like that bit and it gives the others reason to be highly suspicious of his motives.

I figure rescuing Pagan Lass from certain death and possible cannibalism (they're aliens so that's not exactly true) would be a high personal priority for you.

edit:
Yeah we seem to be concentrating on the dramatic elements but I think a lot of that is because that's the kind of writers we are. I know I haven't got a lot of talent for writing funny stuff so I go with my strengths.

I'd love to see more of the hilarity some of the group are known for come along as well. Lash and Stu crack me up.
Hey, maybe Dean would be down for some preliminary sketches.

#331689 04/07/09 08:48 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Well, figured I’d weigh in, especially because Cobalt Kid is essential to a lot of stories that would appear to be told. I’m definitely up for being involved, and I remember talking with Kent and Abin about this all a few years back.

I do have to say though that when someone else is going to use Cobalt Kid that I really want to be sure they’re getting it right. I really don’t want Cobalt Kid to be the butt of any jokes or have some of the goofiness I add into my daily posting taken to the extreme. Since we’re all friends, I don’t mind telling you guys that this is the only real apprehension I have about using the Security Office and Cobie. I see Cobalt as a very serious character with some great flaws. But I also really do see him as a very heroic character. And the ladies man bit is absolutely necessary to him as well—its something that annoys almost all of his friends and allies but it does constantly happen. And its existed these last few years as a not so subtle reminder that because of the torture he experienced early in his career its his way of not committing any real emotion into any one relationship. So I like Cobie to be complicated, full of pathos, extremely manipulative, but also very caring, extremely heroic, loyal to the Security Office and Legion World almost to a fault, and the greatest ladies man in Legion World history. In other words, I like to joke with everybody on the MMB all the time, but I really want to be sure Cobalt Kid is treated the way “I” see him.

That doesn’t mean of course that other characters love him automatically. The idea is that the general public and UP love Cobalt, but his fellow LMBers are wary of him. They know he’s secretive, manipulative and has purposely carved out this extremely powerful position on Legion World that is unelected and no one can remove him from it (this was especially apparent when he was a Triumvir and Chief of Security). His contacts in the UP Government and military allow him to cause international anxieties and essentially not face the consequences. And he’s actively at all times battling the LMB and Legion World’s perceived enemies even when he’s been told not to. So in that sense, there is a very manipulative side to him. My onevisions have tried to get that across. But the dichotomy is that he’s generally a caring friend, a gentle lover, and a heroic LMBer. He just has this side that won’t ever let himself rest for a second and enjoy life—all part of the early trauma he underwent early in his career.

So I’d hope you guys wouldn’t mind if I’d be nitpicky about some of the sequences he’s in. On the one hand, he’s never purposely sleep with any of his friend’s wives—that is 100% the way it is. On the other hand, he’d think nothing of sleeping with any of his friends daughters or sisters (given they were grown up of course, he’s not criminal). He’d be firm partners with Space Ranger, knowing full well that where he sees grey areas, Ranger sees things in black & white—and he’s be completely aware that this is why he needs the Ranger around. So he knows he’s flawed but he can’t help himself; he surrounds himself by people he perceives to be better than he is (morally) to help him (like Crujectra). He also pals around with like-minded friends who like to party, drink, womanize, etc., because this is the only way he knows how to relax. He’s great at helping someone else overcome some deep personal problem, like Lard Lad or Jailbait Lass, but never once will mention his own.

I know, we all have caveats for our characters, but I sometimes feel Cobalt is misused. So I just wanted to get that out there because it makes me feel better.

Now that I’ve got my disclaimer out of the way, I’d definitely be interested in being a co-editor and co-writer. I know the history of the LMB very well and can help change several nuances while adhering to the general spirit of what we’ve always tried to do. Cobalt Kid, Jailbait Lass and the Office of Security are all my characters that I’d be glad to use. I’ve got several others (dozens if not hundreds). Many of the LMB villains are mine, or at least my co-creations, but it sounds like you guys have several other options you’re kicking around. Of course, I also have a few secret alt IDs that I use or share, that I can only reveal in secret emails rather than say out loud who they are. laugh

Again, this isn’t directed at any one in particular, but I just wanted to get it out there for anyone interested in using Cobalt to see. Y'know? smile

#331690 04/07/09 10:44 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
As a minimum, other than our characters we'll need Lard Lad and cleome (Leader and Deputy) Cobalt Kid, (Chief of Security) and a couple of GenCars...

They won't appear "On Camera" immediately but they will be necessary for the first arc.
Hmmm... This all sounds like it would be fun, but I don't know if I can commit to attending. Too much other stuff I have to work on. So if, for the sake of coherency, you have to make the current DL disappear under mysterious circumstances and have somebody else take the post over, it's cool with me.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#331691 04/07/09 10:56 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
cleome, we accept no such resignation! smile

You're the deputy leader and thats that! We like you as deputy!

But if somehow the story has to be adjusted for story's sake, so be it. It doesn't need to effect the real LMB on the Mission Monitor Board. This is just for the storyline of a possible webcomic that would be different anyway.

#331692 04/07/09 11:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cobie-

how's this for an idea?

Cobalt Kid never appears on-panel.

Since I (perosnally) want to avoid cast-of-thousands scenes, especially for characters that would need to be designed in extensive consultation with their users, the portion of the story I will draw will largely remain off-LW (Joe or Cru or someone can draw LW, if they are so inclined), and thus off-world security ops can remain in BEA hands rather than LW Security Office.

Cobalt Kid might be a voice over the comm system (scripted by you) when/if needed, and perhaps CK can file 'reports' (linked blogs. Think of the back-up info pages during TMK) based on his interpretation of ongoing events (again, written by you), and including relevant news/events that the characters I am drawing wouldn't be privy to.

Thus CK would remain an unknown; readers would have a few brush-strokes about him, based largely on how others perceive him, and by what little CK himself says in an official capacity.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#331693 04/07/09 11:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by cleome:
Originally posted by Abin Quank:
[b] As a minimum, other than our characters we'll need Lard Lad and cleome (Leader and Deputy) Cobalt Kid, (Chief of Security) and a couple of GenCars...

They won't appear "On Camera" immediately but they will be necessary for the first arc.
Hmmm... This all sounds like it would be fun, but I don't know if I can commit to attending. Too much other stuff I have to work on. So if, for the sake of coherency, you have to make the current DL disappear under mysterious circumstances and have somebody else take the post over, it's cool with me.[/b]
It might be easier not even to ref the current leadership, as this is to be an alt-reality, and it it might be inconvenient to change leaders in-story to concide with next elections (if/when they are next held).

But even if Lardy is referred to, we can leave you out, Cleome, without you needing to resign/disappear.

#331694 04/07/09 11:53 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Kent, that sounds like a great way to start. It'll at least let me build a comfort level. And I like having Cobalt off panel for the initial stages, and it fits as an authority figure of the Security Office (who would naturally be closely working with the BEA since they are like opposite sides of the same coin).

I trust you and Abin, obviously (after what, 6+ years now of knowing each other's styles--yeesh, time flies), but just want to get comfortable. So I'm not suddenly vetoing things you guys are working hard on.

I would like to help out too in some plotting / story ideas, so eventually I could help bring him in. In the meantime, I really like what you guys are planning so far. I think you (Kent) have it exactly right: start small, with not a large cast, and gradually introduce people as you go.

#331695 04/07/09 05:44 PM
Oh, okay, thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't inconveniencing anyone.

Whew.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#331696 04/07/09 06:06 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
We can work inside or outside several frames and there are lots of characters available for support roles or "surprise guest star" moments so I'm not too worried about any specific group members in the opening of this first arc.
Cobes being behind the scenes at first sounds like a fun little mystery for the audience too.

#331697 04/07/09 07:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yk, Kent, check your e-mail...

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#331698 04/07/09 08:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hey! don't know about YK, but I needed some time to read, re-read and digest it. Hold your horses already! wink

#331699 04/07/09 08:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
YK-

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure of the extent of your email difficulties. I got both copies of your last item... did you get my stuff?

We really need to address the very methodology.

Seriously.

Deal-breaker seriously (hate to sound like a wet blanket, but I can't be shoveling coal in the furnace room while you guys are relaxing in the lounge).

#331700 04/08/09 04:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"added crunch?"

that sounds like a job for SharkLad ...

or Cap'n Crunch ...

"all kidding aside" (something I rarely endorse), it seems like you guys are up to some great stuff ... good luck!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#331701 04/15/09 10:41 PM
Active
Active
okay i think i have a rough idea with whats going on ( only read pages 9)

i would like to help

i can have try to have pages done a week

my boss is bugging me to work on a project that he has nothing to do with him. and doing some on web stuff could be fun, i just have to let every one know i can not do anything NOT WORK SAFE.

so you still need an artist??

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#331702 04/15/09 10:54 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hang on a minute. One of us ought to get back to you on it sometime tomorrow. I hope.

#331703 04/15/09 10:59 PM
Active
Active
okay

if you want to email me. i had my old email im my profile, i just changed it to have the right one

if you guys want me to do it let me know

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#331704 04/16/09 06:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hi KF2F, thanks for responding, I e-mailed you some details and I hope you'll be even more interested one you get a better idea where we intend to go with this...

With a Power Ring...
#331705 04/16/09 08:54 AM
Active
Active
got it and sent you one back

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#331706 04/16/09 09:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can't access my personal e-mail on the work 'puter, so it'll be this afternoon before I can read it and answer.

With a Power Ring...
#331707 04/16/09 09:30 AM
Active
Active
do you want me to send my reply to u in a private message

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#331708 04/16/09 09:36 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
another artist! cool!

I'm knee-deep in school stuff. It may get somewhat better by the end of the month, but I'm glad to see KF2F jumping in.

I do want to contribute to Pagan Lass designs, at a minimum... but please keep me in the loop how much you want to do.

#331709 04/16/09 09:40 AM
Active
Active
well i was thinking we could both do designs and if we like one we can keep it, or we can mix and macth

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#331710 04/16/09 09:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
sounds good!

#331711 04/16/09 11:01 AM
Active
Active
can i make characters too

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,692
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Cosmic Toast Man, Exnihil
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star