Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Korbal - 09/29/24 06:46 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:24 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:23 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:22 PM
Kill This Thread LVII - Big Vi?
by stile86 - 09/29/24 06:18 PM
Why love the legion?
by thoth lad - 09/29/24 02:50 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 09/29/24 02:48 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: LSH #7-- Spoilers and Stuff!
#31543 06/23/05 10:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Are you addressing me? I don't get the Naltor reference.

I thought, based on the cover, that the 'Legion Civil War' was going to start this issue, or at least get more than 2 or 3 panels of storytime.

And no, saving the planet isn't enough to make me enjoy a comic (what a weird question). If it was I'd buy Superman more regularly, or be one of DnA's biggest fans - since every one of their stories seemed to revolve around one planet or another in jeopardy.

#31544 06/23/05 11:03 AM
C
Active
Active
C
yeah, I was addressing you.

Basically, the "Legion Civil War" is the least interesting part of the plot to me honestly. I don't read these comics to see the 'Club' fight with each other.

I want them to have shared goals. Cos' invasion of Brainy's privacy is paranoid and pretty much what got Richard Nixon kicked out of office.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#31545 06/23/05 11:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
OK.

#31546 06/23/05 12:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blacula:
OK.
cool
Best response ever. You deserve an award. smile

#31547 06/23/05 12:11 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

The part I liked best was Chameleon. We finally see how his antennae works in action and how it can be used to save the day.
Hmm... let's see... we've got a villain who causes weather problems on Orando and gets caught by Cham's antennae and their scanning new lifeforms power...

Sounds like someone has been influenced by Shooter's Mantis Morlo story...

#31548 06/23/05 02:10 PM
Substitute
Substitute
There were a lot of BITS and PIECES I liked - but on the whole I'm getting a bit bored.

And I'm very unimpressed with Lemnos. Not much there, and not a very dynamic name or appearance.

I also thought Brainy's reaction was too over-the-top. I wanted to scream I GET IT, I GET IT! regarding his characterization.

#31549 06/23/05 02:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i thought the shrinking things to solve the problems of population density, population growth, finite resources and land use.....was incredibly dorky.

just shrink it? that's not a solution philosophically or pragmatically, they'd have to keep shrinking things all the time.

ok sorry, i am going to get some lunch because i am cranky.

#31550 06/23/05 02:44 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Maybe Shrinking Violet will be green when we finally see her . . . ? Will they have to change her name to Shrinking Chartreuse?
Oh, come on, not even one LOL for Shrinking Chartreuse? That was funny! Oh well, maybe not.

More tomorrow. I'm Outtahere Lad.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#31551 06/23/05 05:09 PM
Active
Active
well, I just read it. and I enjoyed it. I liked the team interactions. seeing how different mission teams function is cool.

so what happened with that space monkey(?) that Cham found?

does Lemnos have super strength? the way he snapped Brainy's shoulder seemed to be from power as opposed to martial arts leverage.

how did Sun Boy know about triplicate girl?

#31552 06/23/05 05:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
[b]Kandor -- I mean Colu --
Okay, is that a slip or a hint? Is Colu actually the Bottle City? [/b]
I think Colu is Colu. The planet is the same size as ever. It's just the society that has physically shrunken. I think all we were getting was an allusion to past continuity and the potential for seeing Kandor as a bottled city again. Given that another book made reference to Brainiac possibly trading in his physical body for one that's robotic, I don't think the Kandor idea is so far-fetched.

Dan
#31553 06/23/05 05:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Which Legionnaire would be "removed from the playing field", though?

And it's interesting that Lemnos seems to know what going on in Legion HQ, even though he's on Colu...
Ah, but if he were a Daxamite or something he might be able to see what's happening in other parts of the galaxy. OTOH, maybe there's a Legion traitor feeding him information.

Dan
#31554 06/23/05 05:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
yeah, I was addressing you.

Basically, the "Legion Civil War" is the least interesting part of the plot to me honestly. I don't read these comics to see the 'Club' fight with each other.

I want them to have shared goals. Cos' invasion of Brainy's privacy is paranoid and pretty much what got Richard Nixon kicked out of office.
I'm not disagreeing with your opinion, but realize that Blacula was simply stating his own. You don't have to agree with it, but don't make it sound like he's a nutcase. I got the feeling you were offended by his comments, though that's certainly easy to misread.

Dan
#31555 06/23/05 05:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the kind words about the issue! smile

Sorry you're still having to be patient for Vi, but as you can probably tell from this issue - there is a plan and a back story that links Imsk and Colu...all will be revealed ...eventually smile
I had a feeling Atom Girl was going to link into Colu somehow. I do notice that you refer to her as Vi, though. No more Salu Digby or is it what you said way back when about her not really using the Atom Girl name?

Dan
#31556 06/23/05 06:02 PM
Active
Active
hey all you Empire fans out there. did you notice that Briany's calculating chair looked very much like the information chair from Empire?

#31557 06/23/05 06:17 PM
C
Active
Active
C
I wasn't offended at all. I was actually explaining why I didn't like the idea and wanted to know why he was interested in his.

People should never try to read inflections into text.

That's what smilies are for :-)

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#31558 06/23/05 08:10 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Blacula is definitely right about the color being bland, but I wonder if this isn't intentional, given that the series is currently set in a socially and politically stagnant and somewhat repressive society? Just a thought, anyway.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#31559 06/23/05 09:26 PM
Active
Active
the colors could be monochrome but still be clear enough to make out details. this colorist tends to put greyed out shadows on everything. i hate it. if i were barry i'd be pissed that my hard work was being covered up and obscured.

Gorilla Nebula
#31560 06/23/05 09:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought that the foreground/legionnaires were a bit more saturated with this issue maybe b/c they weren't in the darkened HQ.

Background colours were muted as usual. I don't have a strong opinion on this.

My complaint is the various planets have very non-distinct colour schemes for their architecture, ranging from Gleaming Hitech White on Earth to Wet Putty on Naltor and now Dental Work Ivory on Colu.

Perhaps the future is short of pigment.

#31561 06/23/05 09:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I haven't read the issue yet. But my comment on the colors. I agree they are dull. But I am not sure if bright colors will really fit with Barry's style. Or with the style of the book. I am not a big fan of the return of capes (aka silverage superheroy stuff). The dull colors fit this ironic future IMO. smile

#31562 06/24/05 06:58 AM
Leader
Leader
Regarding colors, my biggest complaint is that Triplicate Girl's purple costume and brown hair both usually look black and I don't like it. I also don't like Shady's more gray than blue skin.

As far as Rokk having brown hair, I think the colorist is just trying to be more realistic by giving black hair brown highlights instead of the usual blue ones.

#31563 06/24/05 07:59 AM
Leader
Leader
Hey, what's up with Cham generating/imitating lightning? he's never been able to duplicate powers before. Even if it's just a visual effect and not really electricity, that's breaking new ground for him and I don't think I like it. His power is already versatile enough.

#31564 06/24/05 08:26 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Hey, what's up with Cham generating/imitating lightning? he's never been able to duplicate powers before. Even if it's just a visual effect and not really electricity, that's breaking new ground for him and I don't think I like it. His power is already versatile enough.
Back in issue (the one when the SP tried to arrest them all), he was imitating the poisonous breath of some beast. I guess the lighting effect worked the same way. at least they are being consistent so far.

#31565 06/24/05 09:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't read through this thread yet so if I repeat whats already been said before it's because great minds really do think alike laugh

Initial thoughts - I expected some fall out from last months Orando killing issue but it was only mentioned in passing. I'm sure we'll get back to that soon.

Art was fantastic - some of the inking towards the end seemed a little heavy. Loved the moody colours - I really like the more sombre tones used. Brainiac is obviously a fave of Mark Waids as he is given a lot of time - no complaints from me, I love sarcastic intelligent men laugh

Sun Boy telling Triplicate Girl a few home truths was great. Wonder what the effect of that will be in future stories.

I thought Chameleons antennae was over done - nice to see them (to see them nice) but a whole page for him to study the Konapple was too much IMO.

The population of Colu was great! I loved the shrunken cities. Fire is illegal? What do they toast their waffles on then? Was that Koko in the lab attacking Cham - and if it was did Cham do the right thing and kill him immediately?

Brainy shouting at the shameless one was a bit of a shocker - poor brainy! This issue really saw him get rattled. He's going to be really pissed when he gets back and finds the lab doors have been blown in.

The only picture I disliked was Alya getting the rock off her head - the impact and whizz lines really jarred!

Brainy was a different colour to the Zomboid Coluans - is that due to Earth sunligt?

I liked Light Lass ripping the roof off to expose Lemnos and Brainy regaining his memory. Thought the beastie Cham turned into wasa bit generic though - come on Barry give us some really weird and wonderful creatures please!

Didn't like Cos breaking into Brainy's lab - I thought he'd have a key after all he was able to put goats in there.And what was PG's comment about phase disrupt-ing? Is she now Kitty Pryde and affects electronics?

And finally - while it was great to see Light Lass in action what happened to the floating rubble? I would have expecteted to see at least one panel of them avoiding it as it fell and clearing it up.

Overall 'B'

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#31566 06/24/05 10:20 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Harbinger:
I thought Chameleons antennae was over done - nice to see them (to see them nice) but a whole page for him to study the Konapple was too much IMO.
But readers needed to see how his antennae worked so they would understand the scene of Cham discovering Lemnos. Because of the importance of the antennae to the end of the story, they needed a lot of face time in this issue. That's why Waid had Barry draw Cham using his antennae so much throughout this issue.

If this was a normal 22-page story, I might agree with you that a whole page was unneeded. But the benifit of having 8 extra pages is that there's more room for exposition.

As for the issue itself, I really enjoyed it. I thought that this was a great look into Brainy's character. Because he was under stress, he revealed a lot more about himself than he normally would have. I have to say that this issue makes me like him a whole lot more.

This was a very good issue. Brainy, Light Lass, Cham and Sun Boy all had some great moments.

#31567 06/24/05 12:54 PM
Active
Active
I really enjoyed this issue - I'm really liking Ayla - personality AND power-wise.

Brainy's arrogance was too over-the-top IMHO.

Not sure I like Trip Girl's depiction as the Legion snitch. Oh well, at least she is getting some face time. Unlike poor Salu.

I'm not sure we need to keep playing the "let's trash all of the Legionnaire's home worlds" game much longer.

Glad to see Phantom Girl using her power in the here-and-now with no reference to how she looked on Bgtyzl.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,057
Posts1,048,871
Legionnaires1,731
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Boy Kid Lad, Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke
1,731 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Suddenly Seymour
Suddenly Seymour
Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star