Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 12 Murran Spies, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Gaseous Lad - 06/30/24 07:22 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Eryk Davis Ester - 06/30/24 06:43 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Ann Hebistand - 06/30/24 05:08 PM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 06/30/24 03:04 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 06/30/24 01:25 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 06/30/24 01:15 PM
Happy Birthday EDE!
by rickshaw1 - 06/30/24 08:50 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Supergirl and the Legion #26 - Spoilers
#3021 01/26/07 08:27 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The design of the Lightning beasts has varied a lot over the years. The original depiction always reminded a lot of this guy from Star Wars.

Count me as a fan of the notion that there is actually unique wildlife on other planets, and that some of this wildlife may have what we might consider "super-powers". It's bad enough changing them from being animals to just being "energy creatures", but then to go and make them basically humanoid or ape-like just seems really goofy.

#3022 01/26/07 09:00 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
I am waiting to know how is it Jeyira(sp?) killed to protect the robot rebellion and is now working against it. was she working undercover, or like Saul was she a bad person who saw the light? didn't anyone read Cham's field notes or did he forget to file them?
Jeyra's work for the robot rebellion was as an independent contractor. Then she got tossed in the clink, and Mekt busted her out and recruited her.

#3023 01/26/07 09:01 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
I have to admit that I wasn't blown away by this issue. It wasn't any one thing that was bad-- the dialogue worked just fine, the art was beautiful as usual and the characters were all themselves-- but rather the overarching story or lack thereof. I like hearing the origin thing, and I like the fighting but nothing happened this issue! The overarching storyline was barely progressed and it was just kinda... there.

So, despite all the good things like Mekt being less rabidly crazy and Brainy's final remarks, I was really disappointed with this issue. Made me cling to The Spirit and its story-in-one style like whoa...

#3024 01/26/07 09:22 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
by the way what the heck is a banyo. Mon-El says they will peel the robot like one.
And how would Mr-been-locked-away-for-a-1000-years have any idea what a banyo fruit is, anyway?

That's just suspicious, right there, 'cause I'm pretty sure the Rokyn Kryptonians didn't import banyo fruit, being all rabidly anti-tourism and militantly self-sufficient.

Hmm. The 'red mist' turning everyone into Dominators (or just putting a red disk on their foreheads and putting them under Dominator control) sounds ominous and appropriate. Some sort of proteanic retrovirus was my first thought, but, given what we've seen of Dominators, they'd be more likely to control and / or exterminate humanity than create an entire new planet full of Dominators to compete with...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#3025 01/26/07 09:26 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Originally posted by wamu2:

by the way what the heck is a banyo. Mon-El says they will peel the robot like one. in the Legion canon is it the second favorite fruit after kono?
It's an Easter egg for Silver Age fans. It refers to a heroine, Leeta 87, referred to only on her grave. She died slipping on a banyo-fruit peel.

I'm sure someone else here can tell you exactly where the reference comes from.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#3026 01/26/07 09:34 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The plot just seems to me to be really convoluted. So we're now told that Mekt planned for the Legion to get the Phantom Zone projector all along? So the Wanderers were just faking a couple issues back when they basically seemed to have kicked the Legionnaires' tails before Supergirl showed up? And wasn't it a nice coincidence that the Legion happened to be going to Kandor for completely independent reasons when they wanted them to get the Phantom Zone projector?

Why exactly was Plant Kid left inside Legion Headquarters rather than being extracted with the others by White Witch?

And I have no idea at this point whose side Jeyra is on or why.

Oh, and while some part of me enjoyed seeing the three "powerhouses" in action, another part is just reminded that it ought to be Superboy who is the third member of that group rather than Supergirl.

The one thing I really did like about the issue, however, is the tease about Theena being a Legion member. She may go down as the one really great contribution of this era of the Legion to the mythos.

#3027 01/26/07 11:12 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
So we're now told that Mekt planned for the Legion to get the Phantom Zone projector all along?
Yes.

So the Wanderers were just faking a couple issues back when they basically seemed to have kicked the Legionnaires' tails before Supergirl showed up?
Not necessarily; see next answer.

And wasn't it a nice coincidence that the Legion happened to be going to Kandor for completely independent reasons when they wanted them to get the Phantom Zone projector?
Yes. My theory is that the Wanderers had some other kind of script in mind for how they were going to fob off the projector on the Legion, but the Legion happened to be on Rokyn and forced them to ad-lib.

Why exactly was Plant Kid left inside Legion Headquarters rather than being extracted with the others by White Witch?
That's an excellent question.

I have no idea at this point whose side Jeyra is on
I couldn't care less which side she's on. She's a freaking vicious murderer, and I just hope she's locked up or dead at the end of all this.

#3028 01/27/07 01:48 AM
Active
Active
hmmm. i like how the Dominators ended up giving Earth a big red caste mark like their own. maybe it just means the planet is marked as Dominion territory, ready for invasion. wait didn't Sun Boy and Terra Limpa cliffhang in a big red circle of energy?
just how does Mon-El know what time Supergirl is visiting from to the extent that he can tell she "returns" and meets him in the past. Mon's dialogue seems a bit too at home and casual. Banyo fruit indeed.
i'm glad they didn't mess with the classic Ranzz origin much although i miss my Lightning Beasts. why anthropomorphize them. would energy beings really have two arms, two legs, etc?
i could feel Garth's caring and frustration with Mekt. well-written i thought.
i'm surprised Mekt has a superhero suit. i thought the whole point was that superheroes are a forgotten trend that the LSH is reviving. first Lemnos had a suit and cape and now Mekt. also the army of meta-teens called the Wanderers are pretty much indistinguishable from Terra Firma or the Legion themselves. the result is the LSH is really not so unique after all.
it'll be nice to hear the White Witch's story. Is she related to Dream Girl? i'm surprised that Grev Mallor doesn't reappear this issue to join the Wanderers. why was he introduced last ish? Why is the female with the green uniform and energy blasts called "Inferno"? Why does Projectra have no known powers in the roll call? can i be hired as a DC editor? sigh. i'm tired of caring about the details seemingly more than the powers in charge.

Gorilla Nebula
#3029 01/27/07 01:58 AM
Active
Active
oh yeah i forgot. the silhouette of Theena in the roll call? she'll be one of the legionnaires that dies in #28, probably along with Dream Boy. thus the "surviving Legionnaires" comment in the solicitations for #29. bet'cha!
weren't we told of a leader election? and weren't we told that Bouncin' Boy would be joining? and wasn't there a mention of a bald legionnaire? was that all Barry pulling our leg?

Gorilla Nebula
#3030 01/27/07 10:35 AM
Active
Active
in the roll call, it says Projectra doesn't have any recorded powers. so technically, it's correct. the legion members know but the general public doesn't.

as for Mekt. I don't get a super-hero costume vibe from what he's wearing. it seems more like a retro chic for lack of a better term.

lastly, as far as being an editor for DC, would you really want that Gorilla Nebula, 'cause it seems like they can never satisfy the fans. smile

#3031 01/27/07 01:54 PM
Active
Active
lastly, as far as being an editor for DC, would you really want that Gorilla Nebula, 'cause it seems like they can never satisfy the fans. smile
Well I am one satisfied fan.
It's not thin or convoluted I think all the coincidences will be revealed. I am still under the impression that Dreamboy is a mole and if so perhaps tailored his predictions to guide them to Kandor. Remember Brainy said it was Cos's idea and it seems a little complex for our still twitterpated and conflicted leader to have come up with all on his own.

We've seen on the past how little clues are laid out. I am not going to assume anything is drawn by chance.

I also love how often Kara insults Brainy. They son't need panels and panels to build up a chemistry. It's obvious he irks her and probably more so because he doesn't care. Wouldn't it be great if she ends up being the one with a crush on him and he could care less.

#3032 01/27/07 01:57 PM
Active
Active
as for the red dust, I wouldn't worry, I am sure Brainy has an antidote worked up in lab just in case.
I wouldn't be so sure about that in the 5yl plot it was an ancient weapon and that may be the most terrified we have seen Brainy since Dreamgirl announced her wedding plans.

#3033 01/27/07 02:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
well, while I enjoyed the issue, Waid has his share of seemingly contradictory elements to resolve, and he'd dang well better do a decent job of it -- this time.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#3034 01/27/07 07:57 PM
A
Active
Active
A
If ever there were an origin that could use some major tweaking... Not that there's anything atrociously bad about it, but how many times does this (essentially unchanged) story need to get panel time? From now on, just put in a footnote telling the reader, "Insert generic Ranzz origin here."

Anyway, the Dominator threat has certainly stepped up a few notches. That's exciting and all. Seems a little 5YL, with the Legion needing to team up with a not-so-savory group. It's a bit bothersome that they would neglect to discover what's going on elsewhere on their HQ planet, but this group seems capable of only stumbling towards success. It almost makes the reboot bunch look competent, or maybe it's just the sort of thing that would get left out of adventure-era tales.

I can see Mekt having costume-y attire as a legacy of that covert group he was with. I can't see the Wanderers being especially impressed with Ayla's revelation. Didn't last issue make clear that they knew they were up against a life-threatening situation? Maybe not; we'll see.

At least we're getting face time for lots of legionnaires, as opposed to all Cosmic Boy narration all the time.

#3035 01/28/07 04:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I have no idea at this point whose side Jeyra is on

I couldn't care less which side she's on. She's a freaking vicious murderer, and I just hope she's locked up or dead at the end of all this.
And yet she isn't responsible for the deaths of billions of people on a couple of planets, like the fire-controller, air-controller and water-controller that Sun Boy is chumming around with.

Projectra's dad made it clear that great storms, massive flooding and forest fires were part of the disasters killing everyone on Orando. Sure, Elysion *could* be calling up magma to start the fires, or creating seaquakes to bring up tsunamis, but how exactly is he using earth control to create storms? Occam's razor suggests that, in addition to Zepha being a mass murderer / genocidal killer, Inferna and the water-spewing dude are as well.

The notion that Elysion's crack team *didn't know* that everyone on the planets they ravaged ended up dead (despite everyone else in the UP knowing about it!) is just silly, and not in a Porcupine Pete fun way.

#3036 01/28/07 05:02 PM
Active
Active
Where in the books does it actually say that Terror Firma were behind the destruction of Orando? Elysion had numerous strike teams and any one of them could have been responsible. Also how do we know that the team SunBoy is with are mass murderers / genocidal killers, we have already been shown numerous characters with similar powers. How many fire-controllers, air-controllers and water-controllers are there.

I'll have a little faith in WaK and wait until we are actually introduced to the team and learn more about them.

I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure
#3037 01/28/07 06:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, one could suspend the belief that certain Terror Firma members were not on Orando...many of those on Sun Boy's team (listed above) were present to watch Elysion kill a kid on Rimworld 19.

I still think that the main Terror Firma members were responsible for Orando's destruction. And I'm a little disappointed on how easily it was ignored.

#3038 01/28/07 06:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm inclined to believe that they were on Orando and participated. How much responsiblility they should have for their actions is an open question.

The Allies didn't put the entire German nation on trial in 1945. Instead a few that believed to have instigated the long series of crimes that began with the fascist seizure of power were chosen. Perpetrators of the individual acts that when taken as a whole ended up being a genocide were often not held responsible.

In fact the easy breezy way Terra Firma got off may be too true to life as opposed to a comic book where actions are much more black and white with consequences to choices shown in similar terms.

#3039 01/28/07 06:46 PM
Active
Active
Thinking about things that don't make sense... could Jeyra be responsible for Brainy's "visions" it would be a great way to use his own ego to gain his trust and manipulate the legion.

#3040 01/29/07 05:00 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Where in the books does it actually say that Terror Firma were behind the destruction of Orando? Elysion had numerous strike teams and any one of them could have been responsible.
Every time we see Elysion with a group of people, it's the same group. Zepha, the fire chick, the big rock guy, the pair of telepaths (one controls water, the other makes portals).

Orando was destroyed by floods (which an earth controller *could* have made), forest fires (which an earth controller could have called up from the molten core of the planet) and storms (I got nothin'). But these same people, who stood by smirking as Elysion murdered some kid as an example, turned around and said that they *didn't know* that 'the plan' involved killing people.

Everyone else in the galaxy knew that Orando (and several other worlds) were genocidally massacred, but not the people who followed Elysion around everywhere, and accompanied him on the planetary assault the Legion showed up to fight? Yeah, right.

What, where they going to carefully not hurt anyone, and then be whisked off planet so that Elysion could kill everyone without them knowing about it?

I don't buy it. At least one them has to be able to read and notice that every planet they assaulted ended up dead.

Like I said, Occam's Razor. Elysion, IMO, didn't bring his team to do planetary assaults only to send them home so that he could do everything himself.

What makes more sense?

1) Elysion figured out how to make storms with his earth control powers, and would send his strike team home before anyone got hurt on all of their planetary raids, and then made sure none of them ever noticed that every planet they raided ended up dead.

2) Zepha, who stood by and watched as he killed that kid, and later claimed not to know they were killing folk, and happened to control air, created the storms that killed a bunch of people on Orando, and then lied about it when it looked like she was gonna get in trouble.

#3041 01/29/07 12:12 PM
Leader
Leader
As long as we're talking about thousands of people dying and the super types not caring: it seemed to me that the giant and I mean GIANT robot rising out of the ground beneath Tokyo and toppling dozens if not hundreds of huge skyscrapers would've killed thousands if not millions of people. But did the big 3 Legionnaires and Brainy lift a finger to try to save any of them? No. All they seemed to care about was picking apart the robot, one tiny piece at a time, which seemed pretty futile to me.

It also seems ridiculous to me that a robot of that immense size would be created merely for the purpose of delivering a bomb into the atmosphere. First of all, Japan is a relatively small group of islands. Can you imagine the size of the cavern that would be required to build such a monstrously huge robot underneath an island? Wouldn't it have been easier for the robots to just send a missile into the atmosphere and make it go boom?

I also found it odd that both Phantom Girl and Projectra were on the roll call page even though they didn't appear in the story. T Wolf also appears on the roll call page, even though he only gets 2 panel appearances in the story. Meanwhile Saturn Girl, who had a bigger role, is absent from the roll call.

Why does the rescue team ALWAYS have to be the 3 founders, Super_____, and Brainiac 5? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

A lot of good things in this issue (mostly the art) but I agree with whoever said the plot didn't really move much.

And why would Mekt have a costume if he's supposed to be so clandestined? Seems counterproductive to me. But then, a big cloak with a hood does too. It's not like it screams "LOOK AT ME I'M A SPY ON A SECRET MISSION" or anything.

The banyo first appeared in Adv. 341 on Leeta 87's tomb on Shanghalla.

And who knew widows were so brittle? wink

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#3042 01/29/07 12:52 PM
Leader
Leader
Oh, yeah. What was up with the weird word spacing? It was very distracting.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#3043 01/29/07 05:06 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I'm with you Jim about the Giant Robot delivery system - it didn't seem very practical. But I guess if you consider the Robot movement is based in the underground, than you could stretch that as justification.

To me, it's just another example of mediocre writing. This version has so many discrepancies, contradictions, and spells of vagueness that it just doesn't flow very well. The best stories have been where the action occurs and the details are minimal. After an encouraging two issues in #24 & #25, issue #26 is back to the same blech. This issue has Legion prime and Wanderer Legion all standing around until the Fantastic Four take off to Megatokyo (this would be a good opportunity to document another Legion adventure while the four are out of town, but I doubt we'll ever see that happen). As in most of the issues to date, more questions are raised than answered, and I have the feeling as these questions (or annoyances) keep accumulating, we as readers will not be receiving as many answers.

The type inconsistency looked like the lettering was done by hand, where all the normal text was done in one pen thickness at one time, and open spaces were left for the bold type with a different pen to be done later. This can happen with computer set type as well if a printer font file (the bold type style) doesn't match up exactly with the screen font file. Either way, it was distracting to me too. Do these editorial, coloring, and lettering hiccups only seem to happen on the Legion, or am I just being picky? Quite frankly, I get the feeling that except for the great artwork, this book is often a second thought at DC.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#3044 01/29/07 06:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It also seems ridiculous to me that a robot of that immense size would be created merely for the purpose of delivering a bomb into the atmosphere.
That whole scene, to me, felt entirely like one of those over-the-top 'like the movies!' scenes they toss out in the Ultimates line at Marvel, in the desperate hope that style will win out over substance.

It also reminds me, and not in a good way, of how the last few reboots fell over.

"This new threat is so bad@$$ that they blew up the moon!" "Oh yeah, this *new* threat is really, really bad@$$ and killed off half of the people on earth!" "Oh yeah! This new threat blew up the entire frakkin' planet! Top that monkey boy!" "Fine. The universe explodes. See, we're really serious about telling dramatic stories here, look at all the crap we've blown up! Don't we rock! Oh no! How will the Legion pull out of this one!"

"Wow, we've run out of stuff to blow up. Huh. Does anyone have any ideas for stories, or yanno, character development? Quit laughing! I'm serious! No? Fine, stick to what we know. Reboot! Poof, a whole new continuity of stuff to blow up, so that we can establish how serious our villains are!"

#3045 01/29/07 08:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer

It also reminds me, and not in a good way, of how the last few reboots fell over.
You know... I almost said that this issue had alot of the feel of DnA's run... and for the very same reasons you cite.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,614
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Anti-Matter Eater Lad, Hunt Drouin, Spellbinder
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star