Roll Call
1 members (Harbinger), 10 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/04/24 10:55 AM
Kill This Thread LIV - Two Jokers Now?!?
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/04/24 10:54 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/04/24 10:54 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 4 JULY*
by razsolo - 07/04/24 04:30 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 07/04/24 03:47 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 07/04/24 03:45 AM
The thread that ate _____ !
by Invisible Brainiac - 07/04/24 12:41 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What's in a name?
#269341 02/06/09 11:12 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Since I already posted the origin of 'Cobalt Kid', I'll give another tidbit:

When I began posting on the DCMBs in 1999, I mainly spent time on the Legion boards and "Other DCU" boards. I did find one other Board community that I became a part of, and that was the Batman Board, which was perhaps the most active board on the entire DCMB's besides the 'Other DCU' board. There was a ton going on there, lots of fun threads, and it was like how the LMB's Legionnaires Board was a few months prior. I lurked as Cobalt Kid and didn't really post there. When I finally 'delurked', I took the name 'Dark Conan'. This was because in a thread called 'Poster Versus Poster' or something, the posters were battling themselves and somehow this made-up general character made his way into several posts, so I adapted the name. Essentially, they had created him, and I took the name for myself. That only lasted a few weeks as not long after I came, the dreaded Robgoblin Moderator put the kibosh on the non-topic fun at the Batman board (and most of those posters I've never seen since).

When I was with the LMB, I decided to ressurect my 'second' name and made Dark Conan an LMB villain--mainly to create an 'in-story' purpose for why I was leaving for the summer (because I then had no computer at home, only my roomates at college). Thus, Dark Conan became an LMB nemesis, but his origins lie with Batman.

PS - he doesn't exist anymore because I killed him off laugh

#269342 02/06/09 01:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I have an inexplicable fascination with the Egyptian god Set, who was one of the first recorded beings to be extensively retconned, much in the style of Hal Jordan, from the god of war and fertility who sat at the prow of the solar barque, protecting the sun from the serpent Apep every single day, to becoming associated with that very serpent and said to be a god of darkness who wants to snuff out the sun (the same sun he used to protect from the same serpent that he's now identified with!).

The comic book geek in me loves the idea that retcons have been around for 5000 years, and the comic-book-guy in me likes to rant about how Set's re-interpretation by the Greek occupiers of Egypt was the worst. retcon. ever.

Set, like Quetzalcoatl, was a red-headed god, believed to be 'foreign' somehow (from a distant land, even considered a 'god of foreigners'), and if I really wanted to, I could go all Hot Rods of the Gods and say that he, and Quetzy, and Thor, and various other red-haired dieties associated with wind and storm, were all manifestations of the same individual...

Plus, it's an easy username to remember, being only three letters long and easily typed with minimal finger movement, since the keys are close together.

I'd say that I was 'efficient,' but lazy is more accurate and easier to type. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#269343 02/06/09 07:59 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thats pretty awesome Set....I'm into Egyptology too, I always wondered if thats where your name came from.

#269344 02/06/09 08:03 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
...The comic book geek in me loves the idea that retcons have been around for 5000 years, and the comic-book-guy in me likes to rant about how Set's re-interpretation by the Greek occupiers of Egypt was the worst. retcon. ever...
evil

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#269345 02/07/09 11:11 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I know I've posted this somewhere before, but I've collected penguins for many years and my favorite species is the rockhopper. I've used variations on "Rockhopper" as screen names (rockhopper, rhopper, rockhopper10r [my choir nerd name laugh ]) for a long time. When I joined up here, I added "Lad" in homage to the Legion. Now I use "Rockhopper Lad" or variations thereon more often than not.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#269346 02/08/09 07:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
In the summer of 1975 (when I was 3 years old!), my mother (foolishly) brought me to see the movie Jaws with my older brother and his friends ... I've been fascinated with sharks ever since (I also didn't learn to swim until I was 12) ... when I began posting on the old DC Legionnaires board, my original screen name was Cozmik Boy ... when the LMB started, I wanted more of a "character" screen name ... I used to post almost exclusively "in character" but there's only so many arses you can chomp ...

<splash>

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#269347 02/08/09 09:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by stephbarton:
Back in High School I was a fan of Gundam Wing ... my absolute favorite character was Duo Maxwell (DUO!!!!)
My absolute fav was Wufei! I have two Gundams on my bookshelf, the Shenlong Gundam being my first one smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,028
Posts1,046,715
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blockade Boy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Raging Bull
Raging Bull
The open range
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star